SpeechMan

[SA] Prevent meta-gaming

This thread:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/126875-zombie-killing-incentive/

Got me thinking more about the issue of meta-gaming. For me, meta-gaming was something that pretty much killed DayZ.

My gaming experience went something like this:

First, after spawn, I saw a town. I headed into the town, trying to find open buildings to loot.

A while later I started to recognize buildings that have loot and was able to check towns from a distance to judge wether I should go through the town or just go around.

From this, it was an easy step to have mental list of which towns are worth entering. After that, I was in a situation where after spawning I immediately knew which way to go to get the best loot.

And currently, I spawn and take almost direct route to NWAF, only detour is for a supermarket to get some survival gear.

Combine this with learning how to deal with zombies and that's about it.

As far as I understand, the SA already have few mechanics to help the situation:

1) Loot will be spawned by server, so you can't farm the loot spawns anymore, forcing you to spread out.

2) The map will have different loot spread out more evenly.

This is good, but I thought about little more. So here's the actual suggestion (and sorry for digressing):

Simply put, locked doors. Limiting our access to some buildings.

First, the reason: The door is locked because the resident of the building had time to leave before turning into infected. Simple, but effective. They took with them most of their posessions, but had to leave some behind so they locked the door.

There are 2 ways of opening a locked door. Either shoot it out or find and use lockpicks. Both have their downside. Shooting attracts zombies but lockpicking needs the tool, takes longer and leaves you exposed during the progress.

And before someone brings up that mythbusters clearly showed that you can't shoot the lock to open it, we just need to have the doors locked with padlocks. Those you can shoot open.

In the end this will give us more to do and think about when looting and also make loot a bit harder to get/making loot divide more evenly across players.

Locked(key, lockpicks, gun)/barricaded(crowbar) doors have already been suggested, I believe.

Though I keep supporting the idea. Adds more to the "story" you can come up with for the events of the place you're in.

There are 2 ways of opening a locked door. Either shoot it out or find and use lockpicks. Both have their downside. Shooting attracts zombies but lockpicking needs the tool, takes longer and leaves you exposed during the progress.

And before someone brings up that mythbusters clearly showed that you can't shoot the lock to open it, we just need to have the doors locked with padlocks. Those you can shoot open.

You can. This depends entirely on the weapon and the round. You can find videos debunking the quasi-science of Mythbusters, including this topic, simply by searching Youtube. Let's pretend the Mythbusters were right, unless the entire door house is made out of a padlock it's not going to keep people out.

Either way, locked doors and other barriers would definitely be welcome. :)

I agree with this but if you had a hatchet couldnt you just cut down the door?

Bahaha, this reminded me of that scene in Jurassic Park III where the guy sees abandoned vending machines and starts counting his change, asking if anyone has an extra few quarters, and then the practical guy just comes and kicks the front glass in.

Bahaha, this reminded me of that scene in Jurassic Park III where the guy sees abandoned vending machines and starts counting his change, asking if anyone has an extra few quarters, and then the practical guy just comes and kicks the front glass in.

XD i remeber that scene i guess the practical guy knows his stuff but i mean door plus hatchet = in i mean its faster than lockpicking and more quite than a shooting a door open

I like the idea of having some loot very visible, some loot hidden and some loot locked in.

I just don't think that "shoot it" should be the answer to every question.

open with key, Pick lock, pry open door, axe down door as options should be more than enough for a door or crate.

But somehow, not being able to make my own tent, that I sit in, to shelter myself from wind and rain, hinders the metagaming aspect a lot more in my opinion, than there not being locked away loot. Don't know how much time I spent in that deerstand close to my base to avoid a cold while having a break during rain.... Hiding in Trees does sheltler from bullets and zombies, but not rain...

who cares about meta gaming FUUUCCCKKKKKK!!!!! just remove the fucking camptard failsim 3DP option & playstyle (which is just an expoit - turned game feature)

who cares about meta gaming FUUUCCCKKKKKK!!!!! just remove the fucking camptard failsim 3DP option & playstyle (which is just an expoit - turned game feature)

The only reason to remove 3rd person is so that you can hide somewhere to kill a player, without him seeing you.

I don't see why improving the chances to camp somewhere and shoot players out of hiding should be beneficial to the game in any way.

But there is this huge gap between people wanting a open world survival PVP arena and people wanting an immersive survival experience, with casual PvP encounters.

We can't have both, but considering that dayZ is a declared PvEnv game and there are already millions of shooters out there, I don't see why anything that encourages FPS-like gameplay should be given a place in dayZ.

the hell is wrong with you and your 3rd Person spam rants all over the place!? haven't you been warned because of that already?

3dp..its causing him to have an out of body experience.

• Like 2

He needs to take a long hard look at himself..

• Like 1

He needs to take a long hard look at himself..

No wonder why they get shot all the time when all they see is their butt...

To bring this discussion back on topic, I agree with the OP. I too had exactly the same experience that he had with learning which towns are useless and not worth visiting, and where the best loot spawns are which is why I enjoy playing new maps without looking at the DayZmap with the loot spawns. But either way, the changes that they are making with the server side spawning, will fix this. Ideally, they'd have it so that there is a limit on the amount of loot spawning per server restart so that over time, the larger and more popular areas for loot, will become less viable, and therefore make the smaller and what are currently useless towns a better option to look for loot.

I like the idea of doors being locked, and need a crowbar, hatchet or a pick lock to open. Also, brute force (as a couple have said) that can be an option, that involve the player kicking the door, but there could be a chance that the door is well re-enforced and the player could end up breaking their leg :P Would make it more challenging to get inside a building, add to the realism and also increase the threat of nearby zombies with the sound.

At the moment, I can't think of anything else to add, but for the moment, you have my beans!