theolaf

Survey results are in!

If you read the actual questions, you'll see that THAT particular question was multiple choice, not ALL the questions. If you also bother to look at the answer statistics, you'd see that there is large variation between the figures for each negative answer.

Wow. Considering how you just spoke to me like an absolute prick for no real reason, I think bothering to read your actual posts is now going to be more effort than I care for.

Edited by mzltv

Hello there

It's an interesting aspect to the situation.

I would not say the poll is definitive of a true and final finding, but it is interesting.

Perhaps chaps like "Play" who have experience in this field could guide the OP to enhance the poll.

Leading questions and unconscious bias are very difficult to avoid in Polls. They are an Arcane art to themselves. I don't haz the brains to create a professional one.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I still can't get my head around all the fuss over a few names. The models were professionally created, with brilliant aging and looked similar to their real world counterparts. It's been made clear we can't have coca cola etc as they haven't agreed to let Rocket and Co use them. Can't say I blame them either, Beans means "bandits roaming a zombie infected wasteland murdering innocent survivors" heinz, for some reason I can't see that commercial running before the watershed. How's this breaks my immersion is beyond me but different strokes and all that.

Oh and I was one of the nine who wanted the beans named after me, lol. :)

Heh, I think the Herpy Dooves canned muffins was the red flag to the bull to be honest. A lot of the names were fine, the designs were all pretty cool. Adding in Brony items will wind up a lot of people however.

Just my opinion of course.

If you add the numbers from second question, it adds to more than 100%

correct values are:

334 = 30.11%

259 = 23.35%

183 = 16.5%

9 = 0,8%

251 = 22.63%

73 = 6.58%

Edit: found out that it was a multiple choice, so different calculation. apologies.

Edited by liquidmind

Hello there

It's an interesting aspect to the situation.

I would not say the poll is definitive of a true and final finding, but it is interesting.

Perhaps chaps like "Play" who have experience in this field could guide the OP to enhance the poll.

Leading questions and unconscious bias are very difficult to avoid in Polls. They are an Arcane art to themselves. I don't haz the brains to create a professional one.

I think there is no question about how the way a poll is expressed can influence the result. I wouldn't even put too much into the result.

What is remarkable tough, is that a) almost 800 people participated within less than 24 hours, showing that there was a demand to express an opinion, and B) that there is no side that is the majority, as the opinions are spread quite evenly.

In my opinion, the poll shows that there is no side who should have gotten their will, as there is no side, that represents the will of the majority in this discussion.

Maybe retune the questions, let the poll run for a week, even if you have to bump it every day/repost it.

Or we could just let this issue die, and pretend this week didn't happen :)

Let's all look forward to the dev blog this Friday.

I too feel the options are biased and the poll isn't really representative of the playerbase. Where was this posted? How did players find this poll?

Some people hang around on other parts of the internet based on their personal preferences. Those that generally don't care about the changes are not likely to be vocal on the matter in the first place.

Thus your results are skewed.

Wow. Considering how you just spoke to me like an absolute prick for no real reason, I think bothering to read your actual posts is now going to be more effort than I care for.

Sorry if I was a tad harsh. Bad afternoon.....

I too feel the options are biased and the poll isn't really representative of the playerbase. Where was this posted? How did players find this poll?

Some people hang around on other parts of the internet based on their personal preferences. Those that generally don't care about the changes are not likely to be vocal on the matter in the first place.

Thus your results are skewed.

To be fair, the OP actually posted which sites the pollsters came from and it was pretty all round.

No disrespect to your survey but your questions have not been though through properly. There a lots of flaws:

1- Some questions have personal views imposed on (leading questions)

2- Sampling strategy not clear (who were invited to this survey)

3- Scale is very biased (more negative options than positive)

I'm no PHD student but I have done lots of reseach questions for my Masters.

Thank christ there is another person here with statistical significance on their mind. :beans:

I have to say i feel a little uneasy with the survey, for reason that have already been stated by others plus a few other reasons.

First off i felt you gave no middle ground in answers, where is the I dont know, I dont mind, Have no opinion(?) on matter etc option, it basicly felt like a yes no set of answers pushing me to no.

And second (and last i dont want to nit pick cos i agree with the idea of the survey) i felt 24 hours was to short of a time, since this is something that covers all time zones, 24 hours just seems to limit your results to the people who happen to be online at that time.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents, all in all tho i fully agree with the idea behind the survey but i feel it was slighty rushed. But ya at lest tring to do something.

I have to say i feel a little uneasy with the survey, for reason that have already been stated by others plus a few other reasons.

First off i felt you gave no middle ground in answers, where is the I dont know, I dont mind, Have no opinion(?) on matter etc option, it basicly felt like a yes no set of answers pushing me to no.

And second (and last i dont want to nit pick cos i agree with the idea of the survey) i felt 24 hours was to short of a time, since this is something that covers all time zones, 24 hours just seems to limit your results to the people who happen to be online at that time.

Anyway thats just my 2 cents, all in all tho i fully agree with the idea behind the survey but i feel it was slighty rushed. But ya at lest tring to do something.

If you "don't know, don't mind, have no opinion" don't vote, it's very simple really.

• Like 1

If you "don't know, don't mind, have no opinion" don't vote, it's very simple really.

Yeah, you have the option to not vote on it at all, include your own answer (other), or the neutral option, ie) "Didn't bother me at all. 23.58% total: 187"

• Like 1

so your saying if i dont mind the changes, cant give an honest answer (eg since ive only been playing for 3 months i cant answer if i feel if the devs are out of touch) my voice should not be heared?

You cant get a accurate sample if you dont cover the 3 basic bases, yes, no, maby. Not everyone who plays dayz care about if the devs and the commuinites get along but may care about stuff that is fixed or added or changed. i dont know the underlying issue that made this an issue but i do care that something i thought was neat was affected. Im sure others feel the same.

All im really trying to say is they way you ask a question and present answers influences peoples answers. Exsample would be simply removing each mutiply choice answer to the questions and replacing it with yes, no, maby, the result would be noticeable different.

Tho if someone who gets what im saying can explain it better do, i feel i'll end up going off topic. As i said in my first post, fully support the surey but felt it was rushed. nothing wrong with that.

so your saying if i dont mind the changes, cant give an honest answer (eg since ive only been playing for 3 months i cant answer if i feel if the devs are out of touch) my voice should not be heared?

You cant get a accurate sample if you dont cover the 3 basic bases, yes, no, maby. Not everyone who plays dayz care about if the devs and the commuinites get along but may care about stuff that is fixed or added or changed. i dont know the underlying issue that made this an issue but i do care that something i thought was neat was affected. Im sure others feel the same.

All im really trying to say is they way you ask a question and present answers influences peoples answers. Exsample would be simply removing each mutiply choice answer to the questions and replacing it with yes, no, maby, the result would be noticeable different.

Tho if someone who gets what im saying can explain it better do, i feel i'll end up going off topic. As i said in my first post, fully support the surey but felt it was rushed. nothing wrong with that.

If people dont know how to answer a question, I wouldnt say that is the surveys fault per-se. I understand how some may see a bias, But it is a false perception. Would you like to to have two options of "I liked it" and "I really fucking liked it"? Ultimately they are the same literal answer just one is more passionate. There are no more facts being conveyed. However, if someone disliked it, I wanted to know WHY they disliked it, not just "I hate that crap". At any rate, I left an "other" option and you can see quite a few people used it- sadly many of them MISUSED it by not expressing anything other than slander.

TL:DR No matter how you make a survey, some people are going to "go full retard".

• Like 1

This is how i would have phrased the questions...

Overall, how do you feel about the naming convention of new feed items in DayZ?

I like them.

I dislike them.

I am indifferent to them. (Neither like nor hate them)

I don't know.

Have you seen any gameplay issues being brought on by these names? (multiple choice)

The names are unprofessional.

The names look bad for DayZs reputation.

The names break immersion for me.

The names are good but could be better.

I see nothing wrong with the item names.

I would like to see more items with similar names.

I am indifferent to them. (I don't care)

I don't know.

Other. (comment)

Do you think the developers have "lost touch" with the community?

Yes.

Yes, to some degree.

No.

No, they have improved.

I don't care.

I don't know.

After these three questions i would also give an option to rate the performance of DayZ overall...

On a scale from 1 to 5 (1 being very bad, 3 being Neutral, neither good nor bad and 5 being very good) how would you rate the development of DayZ:

Prior to 1.7.5 (Rocket in development)

1 (Very bad)

3 (Neutral, average, neither good nor bad)

5 (Very good)

Post 1.7.5 (R4Z0R in development)

1 (Very bad)

3 (Neutral, average, neither good nor bad)

5 (Very good)

------

And just for kicks, here are my votes:

Indifferent.

The names are good but could be better, i would like to see more items with similar names.

No.

• Like 1

This makes me sad, can Developers no longer have fun?

This makes me sad, can Developers no longer have fun?

"Easter eggs break my immersion", whined the randoms.

I still can't get my head around all the fuss over a few names. The models were professionally created, with brilliant aging and looked similar to their real world counterparts. It's been made clear we can't have coca cola etc as they haven't agreed to let Rocket and Co use them. Can't say I blame them either, Beans means "bandits roaming a zombie infected wasteland murdering innocent survivors" heinz, for some reason I can't see that commercial running before the watershed. How's this breaks my immersion is beyond me but different strokes and all that.

Oh and I was one of the nine who wanted the beans named after me, lol. :)

i have canned corn..i could write your name on it if you like :rolleyes:

No disrespect to your survey but your questions have not been though through properly. There a lots of flaws:

1- Some questions have personal views imposed on (leading questions)

2- Sampling strategy not clear (who were invited to this survey)

3- Scale is very biased (more negative options than positive)

I'm no PHD student but I have done lots of reseach questions for my Masters.

Well and also the fact that it's biased because only people who feel strongly about it will vote in large numbers and most voters are from Reddit, not the actual DayZ community (where the names derive from).

A more proper approach would be to PM around 50 random, but active, people. Maybe people who have posted recently (not on the can thread). Repeat that 3 times and provide evidence you did it, then Rocket should take it seriously.

Well, another problem presents itself with this survey.

Ever noticed how people will create fake accounts for things?

Well, you get where I'm coming from.

but but but... stop it!

well maybe it is biased to some extent but you clearly cannot deny that at least half of the community really could be dissatisfied with this issue.

Now it is about 50-50. I don't care if it were then +- 20% there would have been at least still a third being dissatisfied which is nevertheless a bad thing.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

"Easter eggs break my immersion", whined the randoms.

To be fair, those "randoms" are also players, and are apparently the majority.

Well and also the fact that it's biased because only people who feel strongly about it will vote in large numbers and most voters are from Reddit, not the actual DayZ community (where the names derive from).

A more proper approach would be to PM around 50 random, but active, people. Maybe people who have posted recently (not on the can thread). Repeat that 3 times and provide evidence you did it, then Rocket should take it seriously.

The poll was open to everyone, the only reason that the dayzmod.com "community" had less say was because either less people are active on the dayzmod forums than reddit, or less dayzmod forums people care enough to have their voice heard. I actually technically posted the poll on dayzmod.com a few minutes before reddit. You claim dayzmod.com forums are ther "real" community, when it would appear that the community is either less active, or cares less. A "random selection" poll has always been proven statistically to have a larger margin of error both due to the fact of a significantly smaller sample of people, and a larger percentage of people who don't really take the survey seriously.

Well, another problem presents itself with this survey.

Ever noticed how people will create fake accounts for things?

Well, you get where I'm coming from.

I have the survey set to ignore duplicate IPs and MACs. There are no accounts involved. The only way to submit multiple times is to either go to a totally different house or go through a proxy, which the survey has a public proxy list filter.

• Like 1