r4z0r49

1.7.6 Cans and Drinks

But the warz is a paying game, its very very very very very different..........

You cant compare a free mod to a paying game, when it comes to "play or leave", because its a whole other lvl of responsebility to the people who pay for it.

Frankly there is no difference here between a "paying" game and a non-paying one, but if you want to go that route; As it stands today, DayZ the mod shares the name with DayZ SA. One is free, and one isn't. When you tell someone to "leave if you don't like it, your opinion doesn't matter", you are sending them that message for SA as well.

Edited by Guidez
  • Like 2

I can only speak for me of course but I think if the creators/caretakers of this mod (who done this all off their own back for free) want to have a little fun with something as trivial as the wrappers on food, then it's their perogative and fine by me.

It seems there's a lot of stock phrases that get bandied about like "breaking the immersion" that just become a really lazy, tautological way of saying "I don't like it".

As as for people claiming it ruins the "vision of Dean" or is "disrespectful". Who are you to decide what deserves respect or not? What have you given back to the community?

It's a fucking computer game, not the holy grail.

A misplaced sense of entitlement is strong with this thread.

Edited by Horde
  • Like 2

Honestly, I think a fair medium would be to add a bunch of new skins for food like you have, but just name them something bland in the inventory ("Beer, Soda, Muffins, Chips, Nuts") then have the models have the skins with their names. Nobody would even notice, and it wouldnt break immersion. Mods can still get their salute, but it is more of an easter egg if people have to study the cans.

Frankly there is no difference here between a "paying" game and a non-paying one, but if you want to go that route; As it stands today, DayZ the mod shared the name with DayZ SA. One is free, and one isn't. When you tell someone to "leave if you don't like it, your opinion doesn't matter", you are sending them that message for SA as well.

No, lol...

Again, theres a HUGE difference between paying and not paying, and theres a HUGE differene between DayZ mod and DayZ SA, even the dev team stated several times its gonna feel like an entirely new game when it comes out.

So they are very hard to compare actually, as the only thing thats gonna be the same is the "idea itself".

That being said, i didnt mean "we should not care at all", im just saying that names of canned food should not be blow out of proportions like here.

Its a name.... It doesnt matter lol. Just like it wont matter if we get coke or pepsi in the SA, its not important for the game to be good.

Remember its a video game, it as to be fun aswell.

Honestly, I think a fair medium would be to add a bunch of new skins for food like you have, but just name them something bland in the inventory ("Beer, Soda, Muffins, Chips, Nuts") then have the models have the skins with their names. Nobody would even notice, and it wouldnt break immersion. Mods can still get their salute, but it is more of an easter egg if people have to study the cans.

Must admit i would rather have the names they are using now then, the ones you are suggesting. Its to boring :)

EDIT:

You also all have to remember that NOTHING gets updated in the mod without Rocket saying yes. So if this gets into the mod its because Rocket likes it.

The community dev team puts the code to gether, but Rocket releases the update. At least thats what Razor said some time ago.

Edited by Byrgesen

I can only speak for me of course but I think if the creators/caretakers of this mod (who done this all off their own back for free) want to have a little fun with something as trivial as the wrappers on food, then it's their perogative and fine by me.

It seems there's a lot of stock phrases that get bandied about like "breaking the immersion" that just become a really lazy, tautological way of saying "I don't like it".

As as for people claiming it ruins the "vision of Dean" or is "disrespectful". Who are you to decide what deserves respect or not? What have you given back to the community?

It's a fucking computer game, not a holy grail.

A misplaced sense of entitlement is strong with this thread.

Yeah it actually does break the immersion. If I'm moving through NWAF getting into the raid and I look down and see some of the names created that will completely kill the mood.

No, lol...

Again, theres a HUGE difference between paying and not paying, and theres a HUGE differene between DayZ mod and DayZ SA, even the dev team stated several times its gonna feel like an entirely new game when it comes out.

So they are very hard to compare actually, as the only thing thats gonna be the same is the "idea itself".

That being said, i didnt mean "we should not care at all", im just saying that names of canned food should not be blow out of proportions like here.

Its a name.... It doesnt matter lol. Just like it wont matter if we get coke or pepsi in the SA, its not important for the game to be good.

Must admit i would rather have the names they are using now then, the ones you are suggesting. Its to boring :)

It is when you have some crazy outlandish name that just seems out of place.

• Like 1

"community project" implies a community of developers and testers, not casual players who spend more time watching youtube vidoes and endlessly debating really F'ing pointless shit to do with the game instead of MAKING IT...

Apparently you don't quite understand quite what a community project is. Feel free to stop by the reddit anytime, preferably with an open mind some time.

• Like 4

HUGE differene between DayZ mod and DayZ SA, even the dev team stated several times its gonna feel like an entirely new game when it comes out.

I specifically left out a portion of my previous post, as I thought you might reply with what you just said.

Whether or not the game content is entirely different or not, un-informed individuals will confuse the MOD with SA. It will happen: people confused DayZ with WarZ, and you think they won't confuse it between "DayZ the mod" and "DayZ SA"? Which brings me back to my point: telling people to suck it up or leave doesn't just impact the mod, it impacts the future of SA as well. Changes done in the mod, both good and bad, will have a potential positive or negative impact on SA.

So whether you think reddit is a bunch of whiney ninnies doesn't matter: they are a large chunk of the community, and saying that their opinion doesn't matter is a simple matter of short sited-ness.

• Like 4

I specifically left out a portion of my previous post, as I thought you might reply with what you just said.

Whether or not the game content is entirely different or not, un-informed individuals will confuse the MOD with SA. It will happen: people confused DayZ with WarZ, and you think they won't confuse it between "DayZ the mod" and "DayZ SA"? Which brings me back to my point: telling people to suck it up or leave doesn't just impact the mod, it impacts the future of SA as well. Changes done in the mod, both good and bad, will have a potential positive or negative impact on SA.

So whether you think reddit is a bunch of whiney ninnies doesn't matter: they are a large chunk of the community, and saying that their opinion doesn't matter is a simple matter of short sited-ness.

Lol, how did my little discussion with you turn into me flaming the entire community of reddit??? easy there... Maybe you speak for reddit, i dont know, but right now its just you and me talking.

But I see your point. Maybe im just having a hard time with people mixing things up :)

But you are right when it comes to people not knowing the difference... We have seen that before.

I dont agree with changes in the mod having an impact on SA, as most of whats done in the mod is done so to "bypass" Arma mechanics or use them in another way then intended initially. Thats no the case with SA. Again something one would know if the dev diary were folowed hehe.

Then again, if people were interested in this mod/game they would know the difference :) Its not hard to follow the dev diary or the forums as a casual gamer.

Edited by Byrgesen

Just to put this out there by the way, if realism concerning consumables is what people are crying out for, then why weren't they asking for the labels on drinks to be spelled out in russian ??

Iv been to many country's on holiday and most had their own language printed on the coke cans, as seen in the link below.

http://www.google.co...a_.JPG;2484;239

I know im a mod and my opinion is obviously bias on this situation, but i have yet to see a valid negative point in this thread.

Edited by Delta Smoke 01
  • Like 3

Just to put this out there by the way, if realism concerning consumables is what people are crying out for, then why weren't they asking for the labels on drinks to be spelled out in russian ??

Iv been to many country's on holiday and most had their own language printed on the coke cans.

I know im a mod and my opinion is obviously bias on this situation, but i have yet to see a valid negative point in this thread.

Read through again, people were asking at the very least to change the more ridiculous names and change the graphics to either russian or a faux russian font.

And I'll reiterate my point, DayZ is the one game I can really play tactically on and rely on others to do the same, I have a military background so I can really get into it which is one reason I love DayZ. But when I am in the zone on an operation and I look down to see MXYL MZYL soda or whatever it is or Derpy Hooves Tinned Muffins it kills that experience. DayZ has always had a tense, almost ominous atmosphere which is another reason why I love it. But some of these names are approaching Fallout levels of outlandish, to me they just don't fit the environment.

• Like 1

Apparently you don't quite understand quite what a community project is. Feel free to stop by the reddit anytime, preferably with an open mind some time.

That's funny cuz I'm part of one and there are 5 contributing members... so those are the opinions that I give a shit about...

Of course I want players to be happy as well... but I'm not going to F over my own developers or mods of forums that help us, to satiate some power trip having D-bags who thing they roll with posse because they're on Reddit... especially over something so Freaking dumb. You literally have to strain your eyes to even read the names on the cans in game.. and they're all brand appropriate. and certainly better than generic russian lettering... You ralize not all maps that use the dayz code are cherno russian right?

Read through again, people were asking at the very least to change the more ridiculous names and change the graphics to either russian or a faux russian font.

And I'll reiterate my point, DayZ is the one game I can really play tactically on and rely on others to do the same, I have a military background so I can really get into it which is one reason I love DayZ. But when I am in the zone on an operation and I look down to see MXYL MZYL soda or whatever it is or Derpy Hooves Tinned Muffins it kills that experience. DayZ has always had a tense, almost ominous atmosphere which is another reason why I love it. But some of these names are approaching Fallout levels of outlandish, to me they just don't fit the environment.

I also have a military background and upbringing and play DayZ in the same way, though these things do not change the way my atmosphere changes, if im in a fight and need a drink that can in my inventory will cure my problem wether it is coke or mZLY's soda. The labels were different but some people i feel take things a little too heart when it comes to "environmentally realistic", Canned muffins exist, Zombies do not.

• Like 4

Yeah it actually does break the immersion. If I'm moving through NWAF getting into the raid and I look down and see some of the names created that will completely kill the mood.

By that rationale, they should remove the AS-50 with it's "Zoidberg" branded scope, and the "Hand-Over Offender", amongst others....

Edited by Horde

By that rationale, they should remove the AS-50 with it's "Zoidberg" branded scope, and the "Hand-Over Offender", amongst others....

They should remove it anyway because it's so damn overpowered, most servers already do. Your point?

Ok im going to drop my role as a forum mod for a moment and speak as a dayz player. As a player I honestly do not care less if this happens or doesn't happen. While on the one hand it would be an unmeasurable honour to have something named after me in my favourite game, on the other hand it will make absolutely no difference to my "immersion" or playstyle whatsoever, and if i gotta eat a can of Derpy to survive, then so be it! I don't want to seem like im taking the obvious side on this, so i will support whatever the community decides in the possible upcoming poll on this matter.

Everyone tries to pretend the game is soooo real... it's just not. there have been 100 MUCH bigger "immersion breakers" than the F'ing names of foods that no one is bitching about...

I literally think this is just Reddit being mad that their EXACT suggestions weren't followed to a tee as if they are seriously contributing by filling out polls...

Dean Hall has put WAY WAY WAY too much power in the hands of the non-contributing community to bully him around... on both sides...

At the point that some poor dude spent all this time modeling this stuff FOR NOTHING now because Dean was too busy to give a quick list of OK'd names back then, and too much of a puss to stick to his guns now, they might get dumped permanently?

HORSESHIT.

They should remove it anyway because it's so damn overpowered, most servers already do. Your point?

You know what my point is.

All of the gear in Arma 2 has hookey names. Do you want to remove that too?

• Like 1

Everyone tries to pretend the game is soooo real... it's just not. there have been 100 MUCH bigger "immersion breakers" than the F'ing names of foods that no one is bitching about...

I literally think this is just Reddit being mad that their EXACT suggestions weren't followed to a tee as if they are seriously contributing by filling out polls...

Dean Hall has put WAY WAY WAY too much power in the hands of the non-contributing community to bully him around... on both sides...

At the point that some poor dude spent all this time modeling this stuff FOR NOTHING now because Dean was too busy to give a quick list of OK'd names back then, and too much of a puss to stick to his guns now, they might get dumped permanently?

HORSESHIT.

You realize Reddit was the site producing a lot of the models when Rocket first asked, right? And we came up with the idea of putting a prison on Utes potentially, and Rocket is pretty active on there to the point where myself and many other average players have actually been able to have a couple quick conversations with the guy which you could only dream of here. And if you think that the guy will be dumped you really are behind, they got him on board to make models for the Standalone, this was just something he did for the hell of it and the community devs decided to try to impliment it. So if you want to blame a website for someone having a differing opinion than yours be my guest. But we fought through 4 pages of empty attacks and flaming without the support of the mods with some even taking sides against us for short times just to get our opinions out there and won in the end. So if you want to go, I'm ready.

Edited by Col Brown
  • Like 4

LOOOOOOOOOL

How can a name of a can be worse then all the other stuff you just mentioned Rhino?

Jeez, did you actually read the post before pressing post???

Go back and re-read what he said. You have misinterpreted it.

• Like 2

So I've played the new build now and I've seen all the negative posts about the F&D, and I have to agree. I don't know what you guys were thinking, the patch so far is great but this is pretty tacky. I don't get it. Just my view I guess, but what the hell?

• Like 1

You realize Reddit was the site producing a lot of the models when Rocket first asked, right? And we came up with the idea of putting a prison on Utes potentially, and Rocket is pretty active on there to the point where myself and many other average players have actually been able to have a couple quick conversations with the guy which you could only dream of here. And if you think that the guy will be dumped you really are behind, they got him on board to make models for the Standalone, this was just something he did for the hell of it and the community devs decided to try to impliment it. So if you want to blame a website for someone having a differing opinion than yours be my guest. But we fought through 4 pages of empty attacks and flaming without the support of the mods with some even taking sides against us for short times just to get our opinions out there and won in the end. So if you want to go, I'm ready.

I've never frequented Reddit, but didn't they state that the decision to include the island off the coast of Chernarus was suggested and inspired by the Reddit folks in the first video update?

I've never frequented Reddit, but didn't they state that the decision to include the island off the coast of Chernarus was suggested and inspired by the Reddit folks in the first video update?

The actual suggestion to add Utes to the Chernarus+ map came from 4Chan, but the idea of the prison with specialized gear and zombies (tazers, flashbangs, riot gear, etc) came from Reddit, one of the weekly suggestion posts I think.

My complaint (I believe I was the first to complain) was not so much regarding the fact that it's a salute to forum mods: I was well aware of that. My problem is that for an immersive game it seems terribly out of place to include, most notably, something like 'Herpy Doove's Canned Muffins'. I don't much mind a salute to forum mods in some way, I recognize and appreciate your work also, but these names are out of place. Something like 'Curgon's Chicken Noodle Soup' or 'Griff Black Beans' seems much more believable.

Edited by veIimas
  • Like 2

ok I just started playing yesterday but I like what I see everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i like the update