r4z0r49

1.7.6 Cans and Drinks

I think we have no right to remove (or ask for complete removal of ) the canned food items. If some insist that its an immersion braker to them, than lowering the loot spawn is probably fair enough, as winters already suggested. Now would it?

Too late dude. The bandwagon left hours ago complete with the people aboard thinking we (mods) had them added to the game or are Razors friends even though we don;t speak to him unless it's about testing upcoming patches.

Now lets stay on topic and not get personal please. I'm off to bed. Have fun.

Edited by Fraggle

Right. That's it. It stops now.

Warnings are ready to be dolled out no matter the side you take.

Get it back on topic please, without the personal bickering.

We dont have to love or even like eachother, but this has gone on too long.

Discuss, not insult.

L

• Like 1

Some guys who owe us nothing decided to spend some of their time honoring other people who owe us nothing. All involved are taking their time to try and make our experience of the mod or its support better. This is a problem?

At worst it is harmless.

• Like 1

Wow some people really get upset over this?. I think its great to give the guys for all the time they have put into the forums. Some people really need to get a life and some fresh air. I say make a poll to decide to remove or not. You shouldnt just remove it because some minor group of whiney people wants it removed.

It just seems to me that the decision to remove the cans was too hasty.

We have one side saying it breaks immersion and another side saying it doesn't. I have stated previously that Dayz has a lot more "Immersion breaking" mecahnics, features etc and if some cans of food and drink destroys your enjoyment of a game...well I think even for a game such as this you are taking it too seriously.

Poll time!!

• Like 1

Some guys who owe us nothing decided to spend some of their time honoring other people who owe us nothing. All involved are taking their time to try and make our experience of the mod or its support better. This is a problem?

At worst it is harmless.

I'd hardly say harmless, read a few pages back in this.

Best way to move forward:

Have these be the "off-brand" of food/drink, and they have spoiled, so if you eat them, you get sick/poisoned. This keeps the cans in the game, but is a slight nod to the "controversy" over having them in. Only way you know that those are bad food is if you've been paying attention to the game development.(Never post in the official game guide that these are spoiled foods, etc).

It just seems to me that the decision to remove the cans was too hasty.

I have stated previously that Dayz has a lot more "Immersion breaking" mecahnics, features etc...

So you think it's fine to add more because of that? It's ok to put more things into the game that take away immersion when it should be the other way around? Good thinking!

Best way to move forward:

Have these be the "off-brand" of food/drink, and they have spoiled, so if you eat them, you get sick/poisoned. This keeps the cans in the game, but is a slight nod to the "controversy" over having them in. Only way you know that those are bad food is if you've been paying attention to the game development.(Never post in the official game guide that these are spoiled foods, etc).

How bout when you try to drink from one of these cans there is a 1/3 chance it will explode in your face, that would be a great illustration of how something so simple and harmless can turn on you.

Urrrgh this thread :( wtf people THIS is the thing you are angry about CANS ?

Edited by sirinon
  • Like 1

So you think it's fine to add more because of that? It's ok to put more things into the game that take away immersion when it should be the other way around? Good thinking!

My personal opinion is that it doesn't break immersion. i did state the two sides of the argument. So my point is valid in saying that they can be left in.

• Like 1

FYI warning points now being handed out.

• Like 1

One last thought I had looking back over some of these posts, why not use something other than drinks and food? Maybe embed some easter eggs in the map like in billboards, graffiti in cities, etc. I'm not a big fan of some of the outlandish names, but when you look at the sheer quantity of new items its overwhelming. We don't need that many individual options for food and drink, it really isn't that big of an aspect in the game so its really just overcrowding an already saturated market.

Edited by Col Brown
  • Like 3

@ Fraggle - I hope nothing has been decided yet I mean by whom, by three or four in this thread? That's not a community decision as much just as making them shut up.

As I said, if it really kicks the immersion for some, fair enough but the items should not get complete removal, period. What's wrong with re-texture or making them rare-ish?

edit- thx orlok for fixing my attitude spelling mistakes :)

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

I feel there are enough immersion breaking issues in the mod as it is so this isn't really a serious issue but if others do, so be it. I would say this....

Don't put out another update just to correct this. It isn't worth the extra bandwidth.

The number of custom food/drink items seemed extreme to me. Maybe reduce to a small number and make it like an employee of the month (update release) thing. For each update let players vote for say three people who have contributed to the community and have an item dedicated to them till the next update. Smaller number of custom items would reduce the immersion problem and make the recognition mean more. Don't limit it to forum mods, include community devs.

Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing... but this mob rule is ridiculous and those who follow the few shouting miscreants on reddit have found their street corner prophets. Honestly I have no idea why people got so mad over... oh wait.. it was those few street corner prophets saying the forum mods were in on it, "to placate their epeens".

--on topic--

Personally, I really liked the new food/drink items. It adds some variety to a limited item table. I always found it odd that there are so little food/drink variations whereas in the real world there are a plethora of choices. However saying that all these new items clutter your inventory.. here's a tip: DONT PICK IT UP

Thanks to all the community mod devs. Without you guys we would have no updates.. and no dayz. The forum mods also deserve a pat on the back. You guys took this horseshit like a champ.

~Lumber

• Like 1

I think there should be a poll and go off that. By the way I think all the food cans was a great idea I would vote keep them in.

• Like 1

I think there should be a poll and go off that. By the way I think all the food cans was a great idea I would vote keep them in.

There is already a vote poll on reddit............

Having an easter egg or two as a shoutout to folks who've helped develop the game is one thing, but I'm of the opinion that when done in such an obvious and inartful way that it's simply tasteless. Herpy Doove's Canned Muffins? It's simply ugly and I find it to be quite out of place in what is otherwise a serious game.

Some of the less gratuitous examples of the food names I'm not so much at issue with, but also needlessly cluttering up the loot tables is as pointless.

Just my 2 cents.

Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing... but this mob rule is ridiculous and those who follow the few shouting miscreants on reddit have found their street corner prophets. Honestly I have no idea why people got so mad over... oh wait.. it was those few street corner prophets saying the forum mods were in on it, "to placate their epeens".

--on topic--

Personally, I really liked the new food/drink items. It adds some variety to a limited item table. I always found it odd that there are so little food/drink variations whereas in the real world there are a plethora of choices. However saying that all these new items clutter your inventory.. here's a tip: DONT PICK IT UP

Thanks to all the community mod devs. Without you guys we would have no updates.. and no dayz. The forum mods also deserve a pat on the back. You guys took this horseshit like a champ.

~Lumber

Actually, it was quite the opposite. Those of us opposed to this were swarmed by the people here and we actually were backing up our reasoning while they were just shooting us down without backing it up, or using the same few generic responses which didn't really have any substance. It took us 4 pages to be able to just say what we were trying to say without getting bombarded by blind hatred.

• Like 1

Now that this shitstorm has passed I'd like to just sum up my point in this comment.

- I do not blame or hate mods for this and I know they didn't have a say

- My opinion is that it ruins immersion and the atmoshpere of a game that was always intended to be more of a realistic zombie apocalypse simulator than anything else.

- I really like the actual models themselves, and I NEVER meant to come off as saying I think there should only be Coke/Pepsi and Beans/Pasta. I just don't like the names of them.

- I don't even think all the models need a name change I just think there are a few that are huge offenders which in my opinion are noticable to the point where it's obnoxious.

- I think a general work over of all the names would be perfect and there is no reason to change the models themselves other than to make them have a more "Eastern" feel

Thank you.

Edited by NewClearWinter
  • Like 3

There is already a vote poll on reddit............

I would not consider that an accurate poll as it Panders to only the members who have a reddit account, A poll on the official forum is representative is the entire DayZ community.

Also Reddit seems to be heavily Anti-Can Biased.

• Like 4

Hello there

I too would prefer something less biased and something a little more impartial. It's a tricky one.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Hello there

I too would prefer something less biased and something a little more impartial. It's a tricky one.

Rgds

LoK

At the same time you saw all the hate we got so really anything will be pretty biased.

• Like 1

Dean has handed the mod over to you guys and he trusts you to develop the mod further. I find you aren't doing a bad job at all but shouldn't 'gamble' by implement new features like this, test the water by implementing one or two items or have someone communicate your ideas to the community before you implement them (especially the more radical ideas like putting the core mods on cans in the game).

The good: (in terms of adding new features to the mod)

- The crossbow changes are a welcome sight

- New melee weapon is testing the water for further development

- Deerstands have their own loot table (Hunting)

The ugly:

- 8 new soda drinks, 1 new beer

- 12 new food cans,

- 3 food packs (nuts, trail mix, Military rations)

Try implementing a core group before you go on adding more. When adding new features/items they must suit Chernarus's atmosphere or surroundings, it is a key design feature in the game. I'm sure in Chernarus Hatchets are common, but machetes would be quite rare

Cheers, keep up the development, many of your new features are awesome, but it was just a 'slight' overstep in directly having your names on the cans. You need somebody who can communicate your ideas to the community for feedback.

Edited by Imperator Veros
  • Like 4