TIC

Improving movements; Additional Gestures(Standalone+Pics Included)

Regarding this feature.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you think this could greatly improve gameplay by all means?

• Yes; I could see this happening.
    • No; might have to hold back on this for technical reasons or other.

Hi, TIC here and I want to present some ideas.. Here's what I want to suggest since animations will be improved for the Standalone, why not have new movements?

Benefits;
*With new movements, it'd improve combat, maneuvering, stealth and perhaps some others that we could think of; adding to 'expansion'.
*Gestures could expand socialization; especially players without a microphone or do not speak the same language as you; hand gestures is an international method to communicate, who doesn't know what flipping someone off means? ;P

Current animations as of 1.7.5.1; Front Dive, Vaulting, Salute, Leaning.

(This topic will be editted for further ideas, errors and to avoid TL;DR Format + 'Ease on Eyes' Reading for simplicity)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Holding onto ledges*applies to buildings, cliffs, etc.

• Could greatly help when there are no ladders around on rooftops or trying to hide from a player that's around your area.
  • Zombies/players could see you easier. Zombies could surround you from the bottom, waiting for you to drop for your demise.
  • Players are able to step on fingers, loosening their grip.

Assist Barrier climbing;*applies to walls, fences, small barriers.
Have you ever come upon a wall that's beyond your height? How about having a buddy giving you a lift up the wall(or fence) and help your partner carry him/herself over it!

All Fours(Cat Walk)

Are you under heavy fire or trying to sneak around zombies? Well, this is for you!

• Makes you a wider target.
  • Could make a louder noise depending on the flooring and environment.
  • Makes you stay in cover, faster to move instead of proning; I'm not saying to replace it, just add it!
  • Depending on footwear, you could be more stable on the ground without having an error.

Advanced 'Carry Body' Mechanic

I know this is currently in ArMA 2 but it's bugged; I think this could be improved. Middle of a firefight and dragging isn't the best option? How about being able to carry a body that's seen in ARMA 2? This would be beneficial as a faster means of carrying an immobilized partner from a broken bone or simply from unconciousness/shock. If your partner gets shot or attacked from a zombie while carrying, the body will automatically fall to the ground and could possibly die or go into further injury.

• Carrying a player would be able to fall if you are hit by a zombie or hit by players.
  • Different ways to carry such as a Fireman's Carry and a basic 'Arms carry' .. Unconcious players could be carried as well to get out of an area. Dragging is currently implemented.
  • Maybe with different injuries, more than one person can carry a person. Like a two man's chair carry to prevent that person in pain.

180 Rotation

• Featured in many games; could help turn around from zombies chasing you to engage or players trying to eliminate you.
  • Could make your gun sway temporarily for a brief moment(not too long; like 1-3 seconds to gain focus)

Lying on back.
This is currently in ArMA 3 but it could easily be placed into ArMA 2.5

• Could help to defend yourself if your legs are broken or immobile. Could fire while lying on your back.
  • Zombies could see you as a defenseless target and charge more aggressively for the kill.

Hug; Could be good to gain warmth for cold environments without the right clothing or equipment; could be great for fresh spawns having trouble for their first time playing or any other case :) Maybe it could make your relationships with your fellow survivors better with hugging for the Standalone aiming to be an MMO. This could be used as well for a desperate attempt of your last action before a bandit happens to eliminate a pair of survivors!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gestures

Gestures could easily expand the social aspects of DayZ. Salute is only the primary gesture to prove that we are 'friendly' .. Here are other gestures I can suggest.

• Salute(return it); This could be great to have along with wave to act your role as a military serviceman with the uniforms and such ;)
  • Wanker/Middle Finger; More of a taunt; no other way to really explain it.
  • Beckon; Tells other people to come to them or letting them know the area is clear.
  • Pointing; Point towards a direction you are currently looking at.
  • Thumbs-up/down; Shows approval or disapproval. Thumbs up could also be a sign for hitchhiking.
  • Clapping; Could be used to make noise for a distraction or simply an applause.
  • Numbers 1-10(both hands); Giving players a number, good for counting an amount of items, players, zombies, etc. or even a number bet to sacrifice yourself(joke) ;P
  • Peace sign; To show peace.
  • Okay; To let others know everything's okay.
  • Hands-Up(Surrender); Want to relent? This is an option for people who can surrender from players :)

Topic Glossary by TIC321(Will be edited for enhanced navigation)

Don't forget to share your beans! :beans:

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 9

You're just the best, dude.

I can dig these.

Your support means a lot to me. I, can share you my beans man :)

I like your ideas in general, this one is a good one too.

I think implementing a good key system for this would really help too.

If we really did experience a zombie apocalypse, I think hand signals would become VERY VERY fashionable.

• Like 2

some of these ideas are awesome!

• Could greatly help when there are no ladders around on rooftops or trying to hide from a player that's around your area.
  • Zombies/players could see you easier. Zombies could surround you from the bottom, waiting for you to drop for your demise.
  • Players are able to step on fingers, loosening their grip.

Though this is a bit impossible for a survivor with full pack and gear.

• Like 1

I think the general movement and what not is good as it. The "combat roll" they just added was a nice touch but I don't really see any point to climbing on stuff or adding a four legged crawl. I don't even know why you would need 180 turn, just turn around. However, I do agree that the "carry body" mechanic needs to be fixed though and huddling for warmth could be a good add. A rope and grapnel or some such item could be useful for climbing up to a sniper position or repelling, but I think it would prove to be unnecessarily complicated and probably buggy.

I do like the idea of adding more hand gestures. Salute and Surrender are already implemented, and I think something more along the lines of military hand signals (halt, go prone, advance, flank and pointing at things) would be great additions. But how would you use them? Would they be /commands or key bound actions like salute and surrender (I think there are already enough keys to remember, lol.) Animations would need some attention too since wanker and okay kinda look alike and could be confused.

• Like 1

I think there are already enough keys to remember

We still got 1-0, shift+1-0 and ctrl+1-0, right? No need for ArmA2 radio, free to use numbers.

I like the gestures in your proposal best, love the idea of military style hand gesturing.

I believe the movement keys should operate like for example; a commo-rose from the Battlefield series which requires you to hold one key and pick some type of request.

bf3-commo-rose.jpg

For this case; it'd be hand gestures. This eliminates the problem of 'too many keys' for your keyboard. Just imagine it as gestures instead of these actions in the picture :)

I believe the key for using gestures should be the same as the \ key; just holding it down will bring up this menu varying more gestures :)

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 1

That could work. Then again you could just keep the way arma 2 does radio commands (type the numbers) and make the character do an animation rather than shout out a radio command.

How about being able to hug a tree like Arnie in Predator?, could be useful for hiding and stalking players.

• Like 1

I like the ideas of gestures and some movement ideas. I don't think it would be possible though to add the ledge grabbing mechanic as I think they would either have to have an edge recognition system, or, pre-mark every ledge you can grab... and it's a huge map.

Maybe it would be possible to do in a few locations, but they would be pre-marked like ladders and only a few of them. not sure how much they can do.

I know it's dumb, but every time i'm at my camp near a fire pit I really wanna break out dancing xD

If that ever gets put in me and some friends are gonna have a blast xD

Also how awesome would it be to see people dancing unknowing your watching them rofl.

Would you guys think jumping would be a good idea? Depending on what gear you are carrying for the purpose of weight?

new anims have been discussed again and again and the most usefull can be seen here :

https://www.youtube....h?v=vklOq6KFQy4

for f.... sake pay this guys and use the anims for the SA :P

would love to see the hand gestures :)

I would absolutely love to see SMK mods included.

Personally, I think the hand gestures are a little redundant beyond a simple Surrender, Wave and Point. Wave should be substituted for the salute since we're civillian survivors, not soldiers. Surrender should include dropping your equipped weapon on the floor and having your hands behind your head permanently toggled. Pointing is simply what you can do with your hands if you have your weapon holstered.

You bought me here. I liked this particular thing in Left 4 Dead so you wouldn't just fall off the ledges due to lack of tactile self-awareness you have IRL.

• Would be perfect if chances you'll get up depend on your physical state and weight you carry so in certain situations you can hang for a minute or two and climb up yourself and in others you'd fall 10 seconds after and would need someone's help to pull up.
  • You should control it though: If you hold down vault\jump button you don't grip on the edge when you cross it. You can let go if you press "S" (or any backward movement key you assign)

Assist Barrier climbing;*applies to walls, fences, small barriers.

Serously, we need more of these things.

Some areas you can only access only with assist.

More reasons to team up. Ability to save your friend while sacrificing yourself.

That's awesome. Hell, we had it back in CS 1.6, why not have it here?

Heheh, might be pretty funny at times.

But yeah, use it by doubletapping "forward" while prone will let you crawl like that.

If foliage draw distance will be fixed this will help a lot.

Well, yeah, it's more of a fix though. Using some kind of hand-barrow to carry someone at the jogging\walking pace would be good.

Meh, you can program your mouse for that. don't burden the devs with it.

Yeah, so called "Last Stand" pose. I find it a good addition since aiming 85 degrees up while prone looks really awkward.

Might be good as another reasong to team up. Staying warm for example or handling shock faster without any use of drugs.

There might be one problem though...

Gestures

Cool, but I'd add things like "quiet", "cease!", "Can't understand" - check out basic tactical hand signs, you'll get the point.

Edited by WiFiN
  • Like 1

I think the 180 rotation and cat walk are all scrapped ideas but I'm glad I brought those upon attention to see what you guys thought :) I really appreciate the responses about these new movements and animations.

I was also thinking like after a prolonged period of being sick, you could eventually go to a crawl and move at a very slow rate from the player suffering from the infection through phases and eventually be dead.