Sign in to follow this  
ponc

[Standalone] @Rocket: Please don't do that "dark athmosphere" thing !!!

So, it seems as if Rocket creates some kind of visual "dark, depessing athmosphere" in the standalone version of DayZ.

This would mean the sky, the light, the weather, everything looks "depessive" or "spookier", more like a generic horror movie.

PLEASE NO!!!!!

Creating this kind of "horrormovie effect" just makes DayZ more "game-like".

DayZ was something special, because it felt so real, so immersive!!!

And that was especially in moments when you passed through a wide open field in beautiful daylight, sunshine, blue sky, flowers beneath your feet.

And still it felt real horror, not knowing if there is somebody in that treeline or that house on that hill.

Please don't change the feel of the world!!!

The SA could be THE best game ever, don't do such radical fundamental feeling-changes, that could destoy EVERYTHING!!!

• Like 6

Not true,

All you need to do is change the players view of an area in order to make it scary :)

We get real clouds...

PLEASE NO!!!!!

DayZ was something special, because it felt so real, ...

And that was especially in moments when you passed through a wide open field in beautiful daylight, sunshine, blue sky, flowers beneath your feet.

And still it felt real horror, not knowing if there is somebody in that treeline or that house on that hill.

The SA could be THE best game ever, don't do such radical fundamental feeling-changes, that could destoy EVERYTHING!!!

• Like 1

I personally would like some big, scary rain clouds every once in a while. Maybe some thunder and lightning

thunder and lightning has been in since day dot :)

• Like 1

Considering it is the zombie apocalypse i would expect it to be a little 'dark'

The world has ended. Things would fall into disrepair, vegetation would start reclaiming the cities and there would be no light inside buildings.

I don't think Rocket will just make it cloudy and rainy the whole time though. I don't know where you get your information that there will be no bright sunshine in SA.

• Like 4

I think there could be a considerable amount of "artsy fartsy" injected into this project without going the silent hill route or whatever. But I DO hear you, and I think that great care has to be taken here. The chilly "just a normal day" ambiance accompanied by the steel hammers of doom ringing across the landscape was just BANG ON GENIUS. I think Rocket knows not to take it to far in any other direction. The key thing here is "desolate but normal world". I fully agree. Zombies should be running towards you all wailing and screaming as the sunlight beams down on a perfectly clear and frosty autumn day.

Edited by Droidlife
  • Like 2

So, it seems as if Rocket creates some kind of visual "dark, depessing athmosphere" in the standalone version of DayZ.

This would mean the sky, the light, the weather, everything looks "depessive" or "spookier", more like a generic horror movie.

PLEASE NO!!!!!

Creating this kind of "horrormovie effect" just makes DayZ more "game-like".

DayZ was something special, because it felt so real, so immersive!!!

I agree with you that making the game constantly gloomy is completely opposite to the theme of a realistic zombie survival. But I've seen no indication that rocket wants to do it like that.

He's mentioned making the houses and the surroundings more apocalypse like, that doesn't mean left 4 dead style gloomy lighting. It means that floors aren't clean, walls may have dirt and blood on them and there's trash and filth everywhere as there's no-one to clean it anymore. But when it comes to atmosphere or weather I've seen no indication of change in that. When there's no clouds and the sun is up, it will be and should be bright and colorful.

Edited by Jonsse

i do however hope that the night will be just a BIT brighter. not WoW bright. but so you can see without gamma-cheat or NVGs

• Like 1

Someone clearly hasn't read the updates to the standalone. It doesn't look anything like what your hoping for, and what "apocalyptic features" that are in already, make sense. Like another guy said before me, it comes through wear and tear of a disused/ desolate landscape. Any further changes will be player made, things like boarding up windows and setting fire to vehicles or tents and the like. Red through the updates that rocket has posted, and I guarantee it will put your mind at ease....then excite it like mad for the features that are hopefully coming :P

Maybe weather in Chernarus is bad and looks grey and depressing. Like the UK.

I don't think most people got what he was talking about. He's talking about the engine modifications for the standalone.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/ The newest pictures that are at that link is what he's talking about. See how the enviorment uses a darker color pallete for the sky, and lighting.

I've never played this game before, so I can't really say anything on it. But I do see what he's saying it looks more overcast, the lighting is just in general darker. The best example is picture 5 in the standalone pictures. It's not overcast, or rainy, and it really looks darker than it should be. It looks like it should be brighter. I kind of agree with him it does look almot too dark in way. I don't know if that has to do with how they were optimizing the engine, but I do know in the first pic on that page it makes the game look more realistic. Still it looks just a bit too dark.

Edited by Hellfire1014

I couldn't play Namalsk for very long because it was so depressing to play. Seeing only white, dark green and the grey of most buildings bored the shit out of me.

I think the OP is worried that the game will become unrealistically moody and darkly atmospheric, like a generic horror b-movie - like this perhaps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOMDlj2jwk

B-movie? This Z-movie is gold. :P

Have it original on dvd. The remake is gold also.

Edited by NoCheats

Those pictures are hardly dark or prove that the standalone is going for anything remotely dark or depressing. Its still very bright and colorful. "Dark, depressing, atmosphere" is what you talk about with the likes of STALKER and Metro 2033, worlds destroyed by radiation, anomalies, and chaos. I highly doubt he's suddenly gonna do a 180 on the current art direction which looks absolutely fine.

A good range of weather will make it great, One of the things that drove me to the game was the ability to wander around. As long as I can still see where I am going no issues.

Because it is the apocalypse I don not see the need for a darker atmosphere weather wise, the world will still go on as normal without people, dilapidation will affect the look of the landscape, but vhe sky will do as it wishes.

tbh, Every little tweak to DayZ SA will mean a longer delay for us to get our grubby little mits on it

Maybe weather in Chernarus is bad and looks grey and depressing. Like the UK.

Coventry! Come up to Cleckheaton, green hills, white puffy clouds, and lots and lots of wind.

To be honest, the most fun I've had recently was in the middle of the night, in pitch black darkness, in the middle of a storm on a BB server with nothing but flares and the occasional lightening strike to show me the way. Every time I felt lost I would sit still for a minute and let the lightening show me the way. It was so good that I felt it was scripted. Prior to this, the sound and light in the distance of an approaching storm was so fitting that I stayed up late just to shoot at zombies with a crossbow.

But the countryside should still be beautiful during the day but I don't think that's going to change. If anything I have a feeling that this will be enhanced. If you can look past the history of carnage. :)

Edited by SausageKingofChicago