SmashT

ShannonZKiller - Jan 2013 - Interview/Livestream with Rocket

if they have to keep 3rd person for different reasons they have to equalise the advantages people have playing in 3rd person like looking around corners and behind walls and fences for example

Edited by Private Evans

Argh! I just noticed this and I am on part 9 of 11, but wow this probably took you a long time to get all these written down. Thanks! :D

exactly to remove this advantage.....

Don't get me wrong, I for one would be happy if they removed 3rd person completely, but I know many wouldn't.

I'd be happy if third-person was removed too. Wish I could find a populated first-person only server these days... :(

I wouldn't mind if they just disabled the Alt free-look in 3rd person so it couldn't be abused though.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 2

I just hope it will remain a server setting, that way everybody can have it their way.

crosshairs will be removed entirely but they will keep 3rd person view in the game. Without crosshairs people using 3rd person will have to switch to 1st person view if they want to aim and shoot properly. This will not work on the fly but by going into the options.....

What is your source on this? You sound fairly confident.

I'd be happy if third-person was removed too. Wish I could find a populated first-person only server these days... :(

You can!

Come over to BMRF#2, it's pretty good if you can ignore the yadda-yadda in side.

Don't get me wrong, I for one would be happy if they removed 3rd person completely, but I know many wouldn't.

seems this is the compromise...

@ Max Planck

just my conclusion ;)

Edited by Private Evans

crosshairs will be removed entirely but they will keep 3rd person view in the game. Without crosshairs people using 3rd person will have to switch to 1st person view if they want to aim and shoot properly. This will not work on the fly but by going into the options.....

The last I heard none of this was set in stone. Maybe I missed something. Rocket opened a topic to discuss the removal of crosshairs and most people wanted them removed but that's all I've heard so far.

"it means if you want to shoot someone and you now don't have a cross hair, your going to have to aim down the sights so that's going to be a key focus on what we want to do"

since the majority voted for removing crosshairs also..it seems obvoius that they decided to do so

"and because of some of the changes to first and third person (you aren't going to be able to change between first and third person as quickly now as you will have to go into your menu to change that) "

clearly stated for me that changing personal view will not work on the fly any longer...

but maybe I am totally wrong :P

Edited by Private Evans

Great job, and thanks for the transcript. It really helps us folks who don't have the time to watch a three hour interview online.

I must admit, I came to the same conclusion as Private Evans about crosshairs and 3rd person in SA.

It's just how it's worded makes it sound like it's either one or the other, in 3rd person you are in that mode until you actually go back into the menu's and change it to 1st person, no matter what you do with your sights. ( I for one like it if it is like that , although I know some wouldn't )

Crosshairs seem to be gone too, especially in 3rd person mode. Could still be crosshairs in first person ?

Stuff

No I think you're interpreting it correctly, I just missed the part about not switching between first and 3rd person view on the fly. Hmmm, interesting. Not really sure what to make of that yet TBH.

Edit - I've thought about it and I like it :)

Edited by Fraggle

If servers can't opt out of 3rd person I'm going to throw a goddamn tantrum.

If you spot another survivor you shouldn't have to worry about whether he can see you through his magical invisible eyes in the back of his head.

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind if they just disabled the Alt free-look in 3rd person so it couldn't be abused though.

Sent you a pm with a really good 1st person only server

'time to penis'

That part made me lol. I'm starting to question my maturity.

• Like 1

Agreed, but I'm talking in general. Promises are promises, aren't they?

Wait, What? After the December fiasco Rocket has never promised a release date again. Officially, it will be released "when it's done" and we should stick to it. He hopes for a public release before the Everest trip, but hopes are not promises.

I like the 3rd person but only because it is more realistic in frontal vision, not though when you can see over walls and down the street when prone on a roof, this is what is wrong. I think you should be able to jump, jump so you can peek over walls, but of course this runs the risk of being seen, but that is more a realistic approach.

I hope I made some sense here lol

Wait, What? After the December fiasco Rocket has never promised a release date again. Officially, it will be released "when it's done" and we should stick to it. He hopes for a public release before the Everest trip, but hopes are not promises.

Still, it's like a plot...

Why no one is working on the mod anymore by the way?

No I think you're interpreting it correctly, I just missed the part about not switching between first and 3rd person view on the fly. Hmmm, interesting. Not really sure what to make of that yet TBH.

Edit - I've thought about it and I like it :)

yeah. but i never read that ADS is bound/limited use to 1st person mode. you have to change your view model in the options but it never stated that you are only able to ADS when 1st person.

i think its just for the case if you see someone around a corner, you cant just simply side step and shoot instantly with the preaimed crosshair. you have to ads before leaving the corner but have to somewhat re.aim. step out blindly. or expose yourself in the open for atleast some time when looking at the player and then go ads.

thats just my intepretation.

switch to ads only from 1st p view would imo go too far 3rd person should have a little bigger delay with a zoom in though.

saying that i am one the 1st lovers (only prob is the fixed fov (inb4 num- ).

Edited by Bezki

Still, it's like a plot...

Why no one is working on the mod anymore by the way?

The mod was handed over to the community months ago, we have had a number of patches since then and another patch is about to be released :/