rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

I think what the are saying is it will be better optimized because Arma 2 is CPU heavy, so I think with what they are taking out it'll help slightly but remember they've added a bunch more stuff in aswell. I will repeat what most people have already said that if you can run Take on Helicopters and DayZ already then people are pretty sure you can run the SA

TkoH is more taxing on the rendering in some cases so the answer to the question is a yes.

But on the other hand, you do get less objects to render in TkoH and one tends to up the view distance to be able to see where you are going so maybe TkoH is as taxing as ArmA 2 in that regard.

In the end though, TkoH adds more post processing (which can thankfully be disabled as it bogs it down a lot) and more behind the scenes processing which, no matter how you twist and turn it, makes TkoH more taxing on the computer running it than ArmA 2.

Both games are almost as optimized as they can possibly be under their current engine architecture.

I have solution for adding kids in game,

just add kids body, and just say that they are small like kid, but they are in fact 50 yeard old

so, we dont shoot kids for media :o

TkoH is more taxing on the rendering in some cases so the answer to the question is a yes.

But on the other hand, you do get less objects to render in TkoH and one tends to up the view distance to be able to see where you are going so maybe TkoH is as taxing as ArmA 2 in that regard.

In the end though, TkoH adds more post processing (which can thankfully be disabled as it bogs it down a lot) and more behind the scenes processing which, no matter how you twist and turn it, makes TkoH more taxing on the computer running it than ArmA 2.

Both games are almost as optimized as they can possibly be under their current engine architecture.

I didn't know that I've never played Take on Helicopters so I wouldn't know really, I'm just going by previous Q&As and things I've read.

I have solution for adding kids in game,

just add kids body, and just say that they are small like kid, but they are in fact 50 yeard old

so, we dont shoot kids for media :o

But now you are shooting little people...

Its quite entertaining reading the lenghs people will go to to try and explain something as simple as wind/cloud direction.

Proof that the standalone needs to be released sooner rather than later, if only to save the minds of the few......

hold on, I was just about to post a short book on the psychological implications of having child zombies in game

• Like 2

What's new in Cherno? SWAMPS. Yes, SenChi has been going crazy redeveloping the coast!

Well... tomorrow is Friday? DEV BLOG FRIDAYS!

• Like 6

Swamps ? I hope we'll be able to get a shitload of diseases in these.

swamp? well would explain the swamp monster phenomena to some extent ... in the DayZ universe ;)

Devblog Fridays! ?!?!?

are things picking up that more info can be released on a weekly basis?

in reference to the first comparison shots are there any performance differences rendering wise?, will it be more/less taxing on the graphics card?

Yes indeed, there are quite a few :)

The most notable of them is probably the much higher shadow rendering distance which really enriches the scene. This generally has a bigger impact on performance but a lot of code is different to what we know from A2/TOH so it's hard to compair them.

Edited by PurePassion

Wait what? Weekly updates now :o! Quick someone ca..................

Too late passed out with excitment.

I hope there are killer crocodiles in the swamps as well.

Can someone tell me if them stupid dots will be taken out of the SA. The dots I am talking about are the white and green ones that appear on the side of the screen on Arma 2/Dayz Mod. If you see white dots moving these could mean zombies or aniamls. If you see a green dot moving this means there is a player near you. Meaning any one can tell if someone is trying to sneak up behined you. Or you can tell where about a player is without even seeing them.

I hope this is removed from the SA.

• Like 4

I hope there are killer crocodiles in the swamps as well.

Can someone tell me if them stupid dots will be taken out of the SA. The dots I am talking about are the white and green ones that appear on the side of the screen on Arma 2/Dayz Mod. If you see white dots moving these could mean zombies or aniamls. If you see a green dot moving this means there is a player near you. Meaning any one can tell if someone is trying to sneak up behined you. Or you can tell where about a player is without even seeing them.

I hope this is removed from the SA.

Those are server specific settings, not all servers have this running. Normally servers that are more newbie friendly have dots to help you out a bit.

Its quite entertaining reading the lenghs people will go to to try and explain something as simple as wind/cloud direction.

Proof that the standalone needs to be released sooner rather than later, if only to save the minds of the few......

Forums are for discussion in the first place... I rather enjoy coming on here and talking about all topics. I'm past the urge to play the standalone and can wait a long time for the release if need be.

• Like 3

YES DEV BLOG FRIDAY'S, Sanity restored!

can we a screenie of swamps, male zombies, loot in cars AND nighttime?

"Edit" yeah i am a kid in a candy store

Edited by Ovation
  • Like 1

Swamps? Schweet....

I always wanted a bit more variety in landscapes in Chernarus. I mean, in woodlands... there are gorges, small streams, ditches, all that jazz... it's not just an amorphous blob with trees on it.

• Like 2

so awesome, the amount of work done in the game so far is huge!

i cannot wait for the streaming to start!

but i want to question things i don't like

i cannot do that until release because seeing feature's is not enough to make a true judgement of them "in my opinion"

but i want this game to be tough i want it to make kids cry of weakness and only the tough survive

so if i see ANYTHING that is easy footy for players, ANY softness from the devs i'll be ripping there heads off demanding regression!

Edited by Ovation

What I was wondering was this...If Valve and the L4D devs are advising them and helping them set up the Steam side of things, is there a chance that they are also being helped with stuff like infected path finding, AI path finding, animations, gibbing zombies, melee combat...chainsaws...

That could be pretty awesome. Even if they aren't helping them to that extent, having the people behind l4d helping you has to be a good thing! ;)

Yep. Lots of locations have prevailing winds (usually the oceans) but this doesn't mean the wind always comes from that direction.

I used to work out bush a lot and i was never told to look to the clouds for east-west. The fact there weren't any clouds was beside the point.

I am not a weather guru.

I am a warlock...The wind blows where I tell it to! :P

Or maybe it is just all the beans I have been eating...

Edited by soapmak3r

in reference to the first comparison shots are there any performance differences rendering wise?, will it be more/less taxing on the graphics card?

Rocket has said that it will be a more 'stable' performance. It will run smoother but not by having a higher framerate.

What he's saying is that if you get 10 to 40 fps in dayzmod you will get a stable 40 fps in the standalone.

All the engine improvements towards performance are being used to put more stuff into the game instead of aiming for a higher overall framerate on the same machines.