maninthewall

Why always Russia

Why are the maps mostly Russian?

I understand how it might be good to scavenge over there since everybody is carrying an AK47 along with a Vodka bottle.

Though I think the terrain is somewhat boring.. Mountains and a big forest. That's all we get..

You know what would be pretty cool? To have a zombie apocalypse in New York city. Buildings everywhere with fat McDonalds and Burger King zombies walking around the city..

They wouldn't be as fast as the Russian zombies, but definitely lethal. Maybe the zombie through wall glitches would be too annoying? I don't know.

Post your thoughts.

PS. Don't read the topic tag.

• Like 1

It allows the ample use of "In Russia" jokes?

It's in Russia because that's where the game takes place. I don't think you should focus on stereotypes (Drunk Russians, Fat Americans) because the respective people would be offended.

P.S. I fucking hate you. >:c

• Like 16

Yes because I can't remember the last time a game or film was based in New York :/

Are you sure you've thought this through? For every game or film based in Russia I could name 500 based in mainland America, usually and now boringly, in New York.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 13

Complains about games always being set in Russia

Wants the game set in the US as a replacement (possibly the most cliche zombie setting out there)

No thank you.

• Like 3

Yes because I can't remember the last time a game or film was based in New York :/

Are you sure you've thought this through? For every game or film based in Russia I could name 500 based in mainland America, usually and now boringly, in New York.

I just think we need a map where it's all based of a big city.

New York would fit quite well in my opinion. If not, how about Hollywood?

It's in Russia because that's where the game takes place. I don't think you should focus on stereotypes (Drunk Russians, Fat Americans) because the respective people would be offended.

P.S. I fucking hate you. >:c

It's like I would get offended by someone saying Sweden is like the north pole, we all work at IKEA, only eat raw fish with meatballs and bang hot blondes all day. I'd say only the last thing is true.

If you get seriously offended by a person from the Internet, there's definitely something wrong.

• Like 3

It's like I would get offended by someone saying Sweden is like the north pole, we all work at IKEA, only eat raw fish with meatballs and bang hot blondes all day. I'd say only the last thing is true.

If you get seriously offended by a person from the Internet, there's definitely something wrong.

I'm neither American nor Russian. I'm just saying that obviously if you base something on a stereotype, the people who are affected won't like it. Can you give me some other reason for New York that isn't "LOL FAT AMERICANS AND THEIR BURGER KING XD"? Because that's not very enticing for me, let alone actual Americans.

Would you care to explain why you think so?

Just because you are communicating through electronic means there is no reason not to treat people, and expect to be treated, with at least a modicum of respect.

• Like 13

I want a zombie apocalypse game based in Australia. Zombie aussies and zombie aussie wildlife... Imagine getting attacked by zombie Bogans and all you got is a .223 and a machete... No military loot lyin' around...nothing to drink but Emu Export... ... ... Good times XD

• Like 8

I've never played a game or seen a movie were it's always based in Russia or former soviet states. And quite simply, ARMA II is set in Chernarus. As DayZ is a mod of ARMA II, kind of self-explainitory. And to be honest, none of the other maps, to me anyway, feel anything like Russia. Tavania feels more like some modern Eastern European country, Panthera feels like it is set somewhere in South America or Africa, Celle, as far as I can remember, is actually based on a real town in Germany, Takistan is basically Afganistan/Pakistan, and Utes is also based off the original Arma. The only other map that feels Russian is Namalsk, which could be somewhere like Siberia.

Waaay too many games go for the urban enviroment e.g. New York, LA, most recently L4D, which is all set in urban town enviroments like Pittsburgh and Missouri. Not to mention TV shows and films too e.g. The Walking Dead, Zombieland.

The question really is.. Why always America?

• Like 1

You know where this going to end up, don't ya all ?

Apart from that there are a number of different Islands (yep that's what they are), desert, palm trees.

It's been so long - you bastard.

I want a zombie apocalypse game based in Australia. Zombie aussies and zombie aussie wildlife... Imagine getting attacked by zombie Bogans and all you got is a .223 and a machete... No military loot lyin' around...nothing to drink but Emu Export... ... ... Good times XD

Australian wildlife would kill off the zombies, before the first journalist would get on the scene.

• Like 7

Why are the maps mostly Russian?

They aren't (Panthera, Celle, Takistan, Taviana etc).

DayZ is based on ARMA, and these maps are made for ARMA, not DayZ. Operation Flashpoint and ARMA traditionally take place in Eastern Europe, because devs are Czech.

Though I think the terrain is somewhat boring.. Mountains and a big forest. That's all we get..

You know what would be pretty cool? To have a zombie apocalypse in New York city.

Good luck implementing NY in ARMA engine. It's a military simulator, it's optimized to deal with large terrains and occasional villages/towns, not with large cities and skyscrapers.

Edited by KizUrazgubi

I've never played a game or seen a movie were it's always based in Russia or former soviet states. And quite simply, ARMA II is set in Chernarus. As DayZ is a mod of ARMA II, kind of self-explainitory. And to be honest, none of the other maps, to me anyway, feel anything like Russia. Tavania feels more like some modern Eastern European country, Panthera feels like it is set somewhere in South America or Africa, Celle, as far as I can remember, is actually based on a real town in Germany, Takistan is basically Afganistan/Pakistan, and Utes is also based off the original Arma. The only other map that feels Russian is Namalsk, which could be somewhere like Siberia.

Waaay too many games go for the urban enviroment e.g. New York, LA, most recently L4D, which is all set in urban town enviroments like Pittsburgh and Missouri. Not to mention TV shows and films too e.g. The Walking Dead, Zombieland.

The question really is.. Why always America?

I'm not saying it has to be america, I just want urban environment.

PS. The american and russian stereotypes weren't suppose to offend anyone, it was a joke.

That sounds quite fun actually

Hello there

I'd rather have a game as far away from the States as possible. No offence to our American cousins, but it's not easy to get away from Americana nowadays.

Same with the Middle East/Iraq/Afghan. I feel we need a break.

L

• Like 6

I thought Dead Island was actually a really good enviroment. A really nice looking tropical island hiding a sinister secret, and overrun by flesh eating zombies. All seemed to go hand in hand.

And as an aside, i think we are quite blessed with different terrains for the mod, due to some wonderfully talented people. I for one am more than happy with the map types we have right now.

games are never set in Australia :( It would be awesome if we could have an extra map that resembles australia

• Like 3

Australian wildlife would kill off the zombies, before the first journalist would get on the scene.

Heh heh, true... But what if the Australian wildlife became zombified... Imagine - if you will - a Zombie Bungarra or Frilled-Neck Lizard charging at you on it's hind legs with its mouth a-gape making that hissing noise that they do... That would be a whole new level of fear...

Edited by Olisonera

games are never set in Australia :( It would be awesome if we could have an extra map that resembles australia

There's a reason for that - 95% of our country is flat, featureless desert with no towns, buildings or people. A few roos, the odd snake and dingo or two.

Doesn't sound like a fun map to me.

The Chernarus map is only a small part of the whole of Chernarus, why not a small part of Australia... Tasmania, perhaps? ... Actually, I think there is a Tasmania map on Armaholic, and they got the ANZAC and AAW mods there too!

I don't think you quite understood what the "P.S." was for.