rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

Remove it and also force on a small amount of the aiming deadzone setting to add more uncertainty to where the "centre of your screen" really is.

• Like 3

Considering we have already removed them from the game on ours servers, I'm all for removing them and leveling the playing field. It also ADDS tons to the immersion of the game not having a magical cross in the middle of the screen when your not aiming down your sights or scope.

The fact that it also makes esp/hacks much more difficult makes it a win win and I can't really see a reason not to remove it entirely. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

1) Does not <greatly > increase difficulty having no crosshair - two beginners on a staircase with revolvers or Enfields can have a lot of fun and excitement. First hit counts, not first shot.

2) I play often on servers without crosshair, no problem, you must be more alert. Also on those servers I have played with people who knew their weapon well enough to fire from the hip accurately. They have trained out on trees for a while and they can judge the distances. This makes them fast and dangerous at close to medium range.

3) Many weapons, you can see even in 3 person where the gun is pointing, across the shoulder of your character. I use bue dot AKS-74 kobra and don't need to bring the gun to cheek to shoot, except for one-hit distance shots.

4) Every Doom-like has crosshair, crosshairs are everywhere, so WHY make the game like all the others? If you want to give beginners the option of crosshairs, then make crosshair shots much less accurate - then they will learn fast the advantages of aiming from the cheek.

___

One important thing about crosshairs and close fighting - When you take pistol (handgun) to use it, you put your main gun on shoulder-strap. OK. This is realistic. IN the SAME way, when you take your Axe you should put your main gun on the shoulder strap, NOT in your backpack. This will make melee much more interesting, more varied and rapid. This choice could solve the crosshair problem, as you dont need to aim very much with an axe. I have killed 2 snipers with my axe before they had time to aim at me. So when axe goes into your hands, the rifle goes on shoulder not in backpack, this is realistic.

Also, in the same way - the pistol in your hand should go back to belt when you take out torch or knife. Then you can use the knife - or other one-hand blade weapon - for melee. This also is realistic. Rifle, axe, pistol, and knife, will give many more possibilities for close melee without crosshair. It is NOT realistic to put a pistol and a set of mags in your backpack when you want to use your torch. Let thet player put pistol in belt and take knife in hand and use knife for close fighting, and same for axe.

If you have two main guns (rifles) then you must still put one in your backpack to use the other, no problem, but when you use the axe, you should put the main gun on shoulder-strap without taking up space in backpack. Do the same for pistol and single-handed knife (many real-world military, and maybe hunters, have knife weapons as well as their side arm). No one would ever put a revolver in their backpack to take a knife out if they wanted to kill silently or if they ran out of ammo.

So my proposal is to sort this pistol/knife hand weapon (and torch) switch to be realistic, and if you keep the crosshair option, make the crosshair (a lot?) less accurate to balance the odds fairly.

Also you notice that MOST beginner players like to use 3d person because they can "see better". But the crosshair is NOT accurate for 3d person shooting, it's way off....it is only accurate when you are in first person mode.

In real life combat house-to-house, or any close to medium-close fighting, fire is 90% from the hip. If 4 zombies come through the wall next to you, or you meet a bandit round a corner, you fire instinctively, he's already sending you half a clip. For middle to long distance shooting - that's why you have sights on the gun, right?

Sorry to write so long about this.I wanted to try to clear up this confusion. The best is to stay realistic..

OK see ya and thanx for listening.

Axecat

• Like 1

Make a laser attachment for the weapons, even for the crossbow. Make it hard to find. Make it use batteries. Three different laser types: Red, Green & Blue. If you aim with it to the eyes of a player it will blind them a la Battlefield. And since guns recoil when shot it will never be precise after the first shot. Hell, I don't know if wind affects the shot direction.

I want this game to make me search and use the available resources. I want to fear finding other players, I want them to be fearful of shooting because even if they are aiming at me, something may go wrong and their shot may miss.

That cross hair takes immersion out of my game. I want my immersion. Remove the cross hair out of my game.

And the ax? Well, you could always give a visual cue projecting the probable path the ax will go to before swinging. Lasts 2 seconds before fading. Just an idea.

• Like 1

I'm all for removing the crosshair!

But, if it were to be removed, I'd like the melee to be more L4D2 or TF2 style (As in, the melee has a 'line' of impact, you don't have to just be aiming at the correct spot, like as it swings, it can hit as long as the enemy is in the swing radius?), rather than the current 'pistol' like hatchet. :) That would balance it a bit more I think, so melee wouldn't be too hard to use ^^ (I'm a noob, some people might be great at hatcheting people without a crosshair, but most new players aren't)?

Don't make it too easy though, after all, this is a zombie apocalypse game, which should be hard! Just don't make it impossible! :D

• Like 1

use the arma 3 crosshair or remove it

Also a possibilty would be when a player gets close to an object of interest ( meaning an object where you can use your menu to interact with it ) something on the screen ( circle, square, dot ) pops up so you know where you aim at the said object in order to be able to interact with it, but only when you mouse scroll, LMB would remove it at once to prevent abuse as an aiming device when near objects.

But you don't normally need it since 99% of all actions can be done within a radius around those objects once you face them. Doors and gates can be a bit tricky though but it's managable.

I think there is one big "pro" and one big "con" for the crosshair besides a few smaller reasons for and against it...

PRO

-Realism.

You have been talking about getting the interface/HUD smaller. So obviously one of the biggest things is the little cross/dot in the MIDDLE of the screen! IRL guns have ironsights/scopes to aim.

CONTRA

-Distract new players.

If you remove the crosshair entirely you WILL distract new players from the game. Someone who only experienced "regular" first-/third person shooters so far will be like "WTF no crosshair, u mad?!".

Like many other questions regarding the gamedesign it comes down to a very basic one: How "gamey" and how realistic do you want to make the game? And where to find the "fun" in between those! For example: Do i really want to wait 5secs untill my char puts away his gun to bring up the bincolars or do i want to switch-da-fucking-binocs-out-that-bag-like-a-call-of-duty-2millisecond-super-soldier?

make it optional from the settings

Leave it up to server hosts to decide, that way everyone wins.

There's that many servers now, it really isn't hard to find one that suits your needs.

+1 Remove it. if there is no HUD it would be too weird to have a cross in the middle of the screen, and it would break the impression of "realism"

• Like 1

Removing it would be alright with. One can get used to shotting from the hip with out the crosshairs. I see more acuracy shootng from the hip then actual aming down sights. Like the recoil increases on aming down sights when shooting from the hips it is dramaticly reduced.

If you can add the option of placing attatchments onto the handguns and rifles, then a laser sight attatchment should do the trick. I practicesed a lot to where I hit head shots from the hip on zombies and players on hardcore. It took a little while to get used to but ones you get the feel to it it can be done for sure.

I know people are still gona murdeer each othere no mater what setting but this would make you think twice on being hostile. and to the oponent it will show your intentions when approaching.

The problem with this idea of realism is that we are 3 dimensional beings playing a game on a flat screen. POV, FOV, and many other factors make judging where i am aiming difficult on-screen.

if i point at something in real life, i dont need crosshairs because my brain does the math for me and guides my aim. unfortunately, there is something lost in the translation from brain to videogame.

i prefer it be left as an OPTION for server hosts. If one doesn't like the Hosts choice, choose a different server.

Make the game as realistic as possible. We don't have a cross hair in real life...We shouldn't have one in DayZ.

Make the game as realistic as possible. We don't have a cross hair in real life...We shouldn't have one in DayZ.

Then please include a set of virtual reality glasses to each person who plays so that their brains can judge where they're aiming, like in real life.

Then please include a set of virtual reality glasses to each person who plays so that their brains can judge where they're aiming, like in real life.
OR you could realise that when you line up sights/optics with a target THAT is where you're aiming. ;)

We don't need to fork out for a tactile-interface, VR-goggles and smell-o-vision to just make the game feel reasonably authentic.

• Like 1

I'm tellin ya right now, if you remove the option for crosshairs, it will be like Mortal Online - people will tape one to their screens until the constant drone of whine gets them modded in.

I'm tellin ya right now, if you remove the option for crosshairs, it will be like Mortal Online - people will tape one to their screens until the constant drone of whine gets them modded in.

That's if they do not enforce aiming deadzone like in red orchestra.

Let them tape away... there's no good argument for keeping the crosshairs in the game.

Let them tape away... there's no good argument for keeping the crosshairs in the game.

Either way, i'll adapt. i understand the majority wants the feature removed and i'll respect that; even if it puts me at a disadvantage due to my poor eyesight.

Could this be the start of a new marketing idea...? Tape crosshairs or crosshairs foil?

would be stupid to totally remove . seems just like a lazy option .

i see many people cite realism, as we dont have a crosshair in reallife dangling in front of our eyes. but we have what is called hand-eye coordination, we can instinctively point with our finger where we are looking with our eyes. this is not possible in the game, the constant feedback from our own sensory system is missing. my avatar in the virtual world does not look where i look, and to know his exact point of focus, the crosshairs serve as an representation.

having no crosshairs for guns is a non-issue, guns have sights. but every other interaction would be severely hindered, and there is a lot of targeting involved.

side note, slightly off-topic: you could avert some of this by using a cursor to interact with world assets, this has been successfully implemented in several games. current system is quite glitchy anyway, i regularly cannot pickup a weapon i put on the ground again, as the system gives me no interaction option, although the item is in plain sight. mostly it seems like an invisible part of the geometry is blocking the "Line of Interaction". this is just bad implementation.

• Like 2