HamHamm

As a new player, This mod is so difficult its un-playable.

I know there are people on here who have nothing to do in their life but play games for days on end.....but for most of us...we can't be sneaking for an hour to a small town' date=' only to be killed because the game is just insanely unforgiving..

[/quote']

You can't run half an hour to a small town just to be killed? Why can't you? Because you think it doesn't give you what you need for your free time?

This game can give you something that only hardcore pvp games will bring you, games like EVE Online. You hang out with some friends on a certain position, talk with them about what's going on in your life ... wait. Maybe nothing happens, mabye at some point you will find your target and maybe all hell breaks loose. Your heartbeat instantly jumps from 60bpm (you do cardio rigth?) to a freaking 180bpm ... because this stuff matters and you are all in it together ... and you have worked hard for it.

For me it brings the fun i can otherwise only get when i engage in far more dangerous and costlier (time and money) activities.

Today i preyed on two guys in a red GAZ on DE6. I was terribly unlucky and made a poor decision. Accidentialy i blew up their car and as it seems even missed their sniper. They hunted me down to a small forest where i was wounded so bad that i fell unconcious and nearly bled to death. No longer knowing from where they were shooting at me and desperately trying to get out of their fire i fell for the last time near a beautiful clearance. All is lost.

But i had a fraking blast of a time and can tell you a story. Play normal stuff and you can show us your frags.

but not an unforgiving crawling-does-nothing anymore simulator.

huh? It's quite easy right now. You are playing 1.7.1.5 right?

I usually stay off the south coast, knowing what sort of players hang around there. But I got shot recently (pretty far to the north, after raiding a crash site), so now that I don't have any stuff, I figure I could try to see how things were in the south. It didn't go so bad, until we got to Cherno. First we got shot while trying to raid the hospital. Then I just ran around in the city a while later, and got shot at on every corner, even though it was obvious I was fresh off the boat with no gun. I did an effort to hide from the shooter, thinking he wouldn't bother hunting down an unarmed new character. How wrong was I. I ran from cover to cover for quite a while, but the shooter never gave up. He followed me halfway through the city. There's not much challenge in shooting at someone that can't shoot back, and it was pretty obvious I had nothing, so I'm not sure why anyone would bother hunting down a new character.

I guess what I'm saying is, it can be unnecessarily difficult for new players with people like these guys around. I mean, you pretty much spawn near Cherno half the time, and are likely to end up there if you see a city in the distance at some point, only to be hunted down and killed for pretty much no reason.

I have yet to spawn in from scratch and just be killed. It's never happened. I spawn in and run directly into the woods. So simple I think it's TOO simple. I then run away from the coast to less populated areas and start surviving. An hour later I have all my basic tools. You guys have to figure out how to play the game and stop doing the SAME THING OVER AND OVER when it's not working.

and it was pretty obvious I had nothing' date=' so I'm not sure why anyone would bother hunting down a new character.[/quote']

You know why he/she did it. To piss you off :)

I've only been playing for two days, first day was just dying and more dying. I have notice now I'm living longer because I'm thinking about what I'm doing not just running about like a ball sack. It's called LEARNING, which I for one love! I'm so glad this is not another spoon feed, point driven pile of rubbish that's out there now. This game in in no way "UNPLAYABLE" It's just the case of now YOU are playing not being spoon fed your guns and ammo.

AWESOME job, best game I've played since HALF LIFE 2.

I think the lack of any defence when you spawn is a bit harsh, just a pointy stick would do so that you have something to fight with.

And before we go with the "carebear" posts, what do you think would happen in "reaL" life ? would you go "oh theres no axes or guns, guess I'll just do nothing at all when I am attacked" OR would you '

"get some pointy sticks to hit things with until I find a weapon" . . .

It's very annoying to be pinned down by zombies and people and having to just crawl around till they kill you.

The playerbase on this game is ruthless, the bandit to survivor ratio is fairly bad, the majority of people are out to kill and rob you.

Looking at this game I hope there never is an apocolypse of any kind, because the remaining people would if this game is anything to go on, just kill each other till no-one was left.

Aye, the mod is a bit harsh. I cant even get a weapon D:

The first time I got a hatchet I bled to death, and have no other history of a weapon :P.

Though if this were a real life situation ( Which it is not ), but if it were, I think I maaayy have a pistol in the event of a Zombie apocalypse.

Just maybe :P

This game requires patiences if you have none well then this is not the game for you.

This is also a game were you will die and you will die lots get over it.

if you don't like either of what I said then this is not the game for you my friend.

If it happens when i'm home... a few M4's, a shotgun, a .308 rifle, few handguns, couple suppressors.. and a lot of ammo. I'm more worried about humans, but zombies would not appreciate my house much ;)

But I dont think we should start like that...

If it happens when i'm home... a few M4's' date=' a shotgun, a .308 rifle, few handguns, couple suppressors.. and a lot of ammo. I'm more worried about humans, but zombies would not appreciate my house much ;)

But I dont think we should start like that...

[/quote']

Wish I had a like button for this....:D

You know the best thing about not spawning with a weapon? All the dickheads who want YET ANOTHER run and gun shooter will get bored and piss off to play something else.

if that's you, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Dying is an opportunity to learn from your mistakes. I've learned more from the times I die than from the rest of the game. You have to understand the type of game it is and adapt to it.

Just walk don't run, be cautious of everything/one and have fun. Watch some youtube guides or read some on here. Most games are too easy these days...we've grown accustomed to their difficulty level. Go play a game that's 10+ years old. DayZ will seem easy to learn after that.

Dont get frustrated, its a hardcore survival game.

At least there is a respawn button, in a real zombie apocolypse you stay dead.

hmm.. ive been playing for 2 days now. I've died a lot, true, but it was always due to either lack of attention to detail or impatience.. (no bugs or pvp, as of yet)

I have no problem finding gear, sneaking past zombies or starting over and getting geared up again when I do die.

actually, I do have a hard time finding enough food/water because I keep running around everywhere. But it makes it fun, gives me an incentive to take a lot of risk when my food icon begins to glow red.

tl;dr Stop sucking. A lot of new players are doing fine.

Today is my 4th day after buying Arma 2 to play DayZ.

Here are my tips for new players.

1. You are going to die.

2. If you get into trouble in a costal city and don't know your way around, run to the docks.

3. You need to memorize the look of the enterable buildings in the game.

For the first few days, looting will suck until you know what buildings to look for. It's just something you need to accept. Use this map,(http://dayzdb.com/map ) to point yourself in the right direction, at least until you can recognize buildings on sight. I know you might find it cheesy, but trust me. The game is a lot more fun once you have some knowledge of what you're even looking for.

4. Industrial buildings are mostly ignorable early on.

Focus on medium value residential and medium/high value farms/barns as your first looting priorities. High value residential/Deer stands/airfields/fire stations work too, but they tend to be a lot more dangerous. Low value residential is alright if it's your only option, but one medium can be anywhere from 2x to 4x the loot of a low, so you're better off hitting mediums whenever you can. (high value residential are about 1.5x medium loot, so it's not as drastic of an upgrade as from low to medium)

5A. People are not your friends.

The majority of people you run into in this game will shoot you for your stuff. Another good chunk of the people in this game will shoot you just for fun. The smallest portion of the playerbase is the portion that will want to help you and try to survive with you.

5B. If you see someone before they see you, (and you're not a bandit yourself) you have two options.

Either slink away stealthily, or call out to them from your hiding spot, asking if they're friendly.

Note!: if you call out to them and they don't immediately respond with "I'm friendly" or "don't shoot" then you can be 95% sure that they are going to try to kill you. If they start looking around to find you instead of typing or talking, you need to put them down or run.

6. If you are a lone wolf, the most valuable gear to find (besides weapons) is the hunting knife, matches, and hatchet.

People who play in parties can use blood bags to get blood back, but if you're solo your only options are: Canned food (which is only 200 blood per food) and Cook meat!(800 blood per serving!!*!!*1!!)

That's about all for now. DayZ is tough, but it's definitely not un-playable by any means. Good luck, and remember that part of the reason why DayZ is fun is because it's hard! :)

You know the best thing about not spawning with a weapon? All the dickheads who want YET ANOTHER run and gun shooter will get bored and piss off to play something else.

if that's you' date=' don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

[/quote']

Its funny because its true ^.^

i started playing 3 days ago, so by no means i am a veteran, but after 5-10 deaths i learned this:

1 - barns/farms are you best bets, usually have food/drinks and at least one weapon.

2 - cities = BAD! do not go to the cities close to coast, they are full of other scared survivors that will shoot on sight.

3 - learn to be stealth, my last life (10hours so far, still alive) i only used my gun 1 time!

oh and once again, GET AWAY FROM THE COAST, people are there to kill other people! Also, if you see a city/town, always think where would a sniper be, try to think that there is always someone guarding this city and try to avoid main roads, look for back doors to shops and barns!

if you aggro zombies look for the building with 2 entrances, run through and run for the hills/forest, do not shoot in the city, you will only attract more attention.

just my 2 cents

Not gonna write a big post.. just saying that as a new player, I am enjoying starting without a weapon. So far I never had any problem finding one (even if it's just an enfield or a makarov) within like 15 minutes or so.

It's quite fine.

Would be nice if we were able to punch others in the game, but I'm happy right now

Yeah, another new player here to say its not that hard. I even managed to survive for a while on my first day, which was the same exact day the patch hit that took away starting weapons AND made zombies over powered for a short time.

I've never played starting with a gun, however I think I can still say that I like this way better. Maybe a few extra items would be nice like a hatchet (so you have some sort of defense), knife, matches, canteen, etc.. Some combo of these items that someone would actually have in a survival backpack.

im sure it was said before this is ALPHA shit will be crazy deal with it :P

if that's you' date=' don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

[/quote']

No what happens is all the "run and gun" type players, get weapons and camp known spawns and just kill people while they are defenceless.

They are not "going away" they are getting so much joy out of making others game experience a "bad" one .

I love the "Not the game for you" and those type responses, as if they are the spokes people for the game lol, who appointed them this ? (no-one I'd wager), so they're partaking of this "sense of entitlement" that they are so keen to point out in others, and much worse so as they are actually telling other players to leave....

A lot of the "realism" in this game is the kind that works against you as a player. All the type of "realism" that would benefit the player just is not there.

I'm all for realism, it's great, but it has to be both ways, like for instance, sure I need matches and wood to light a fire, but do I really need a hunting knife to butcher an animal for food ? - pretty sure the trusty hatchet would do the job to hack off some meat and cook it.

And the starting area, ok, don't start with a gun, but surely you could get some stick type weapons / at least be able to punch someone (difficult considering the ArmaII engine does not have melee), things like that, and bags in water.... are you backpacks really going to just "dissolve" ?

I would wager that many of the "hardcore" crowd are the ones running around with brightness and gamma turned all the way up . . . .

That's not very "real" is it ? - but it suits them so it's "ok", anything that suits players who are not "hardcore" is not "ok" even if it is a step toward making the game more "real".

Things like getting your legs broken after being shot from a mile away, are very far fetched in my opinion, if your shot in the body, how does your leg break ?

The whole broken leg mechanic is very annoying as it happens from situations that clearly would not result in a broken limb, it's a "standard" damage type and just seems that anything and everything can break your leg.

"You have been shot in the arm....your leg is now broken" ..... what the....

Keep the "realism" coming, but don't forget the types of things that work for the player as well as against.

@OP

I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe this mod isn't for you.

As for me on the other hand, I have had absolutely no problems starting off as I spawn.

Edit: Also, my first time playing came with a lot of deaths before getting used to everything. Don't get discouraged.

You can't run half an hour to a small town just to be killed? Why can't you? Because you think it doesn't give you what you need for your free time?

This game can give you something that only hardcore pvp games will bring you' date=' games like EVE Online. You hang out with some friends on a certain position, talk with them about what's going on in your life ... wait. Maybe nothing happens, mabye at some point you will find your target and maybe all hell breaks loose. Your heartbeat instantly jumps from 60bpm (you do cardio rigth?) to a freaking 180bpm ... because this stuff matters and you are all in it together ... and you have worked hard for it.

For me it brings the fun i can otherwise only get when i engage in far more dangerous and costlier (time and money) activities.

Today i preyed on two guys in a red GAZ on DE6. I was terribly unlucky and made a poor decision. Accidentialy i blew up their car and as it seems even missed their sniper. They hunted me down to a small forest where i was wounded so bad that i fell unconcious and nearly bled to death. No longer knowing from where they were shooting at me and desperately trying to get out of their fire i fell for the last time near a beautiful clearance. All is lost.

But i had a fraking blast of a time and can tell you a story. Play normal stuff and you can show us your frags.

[/quote']

This is a perfect way to sum this mod up..

My current life, is older than the change to having no weapon on spawn..

I play for a few hours every day, in and out of barns, raiding some indy areas, trying to refloat inflatables, while looking over your shoulder, in case it's a trap.. hooking up with clan mates (who die nearly every day), to feed them some cooked meat, from that mornings hunting trip.

Everyday has a different encounter, and a different story..

Getting ambushed by a noob and taking them down..

Watching a friend find a bike, and ride off, into the sunset, with 50 zeds chasing..

Getting shot while on sentry duty, only to listen to the attackers get mauled, on team speak, by a 'nade dropped down the stairs of Zub castle.

Finding that ATV, sitting all on it's own, in the middle of the street, and pegging it out of town as fast as possible, incase we got a .50cal in the head.

I just consider myself lucky to have survived as long as I have, with this character (no mean feat, when you consider the knuckle headed antics of those around me.. I would probably live forever if I just shot them, the minute I heard the words, 'Hey, why don't we...')

Oh, and I only use a crossbow, which doesn't shoot straight with CH's, and doesn't have iron sights..

I'm fucking terrified of death atm, becasue I haven't, since the spawn was made weaponless, died as such, but it just makes it all the more intense, in every action that I take..

I have nothing that cannot be replaced inside a days work, but... but.. it's my stuff.. I worked for it.. so by hook or by crook, I'm gonna hold on to it until my last breath.

And WHEN I die.. will I bitch that the mod is too hard and will not attract the main stream crowd to make money? Hell no.. I'll be stabbing 'prone' on the beach, checking for local landmarks, and thinking.. 'Let's hope I get some stories out of this one.'

/edit @ Alexey Zemanov.. you may be a bastard, but at least you stay for the fight :)

To be honest I find this mod more fun than any other game.