HamHamm

As a new player, This mod is so difficult its un-playable.

So First of all my friend suggested I pick this mod up and try it as he has been having a blast with it!

So after tinkering around, and missing a new patch (patch updates 10 minutes after I download 1.7.1.) Get on finally and see no gun. all I have are bandages and pain pills. Okay cool that just means I have to find them.

Well first time through, I get over to a building after much running, and get swarmed by zombies and die before I get close to it at all.

Alright, Fine. So I wasn't being stealthy enough. got it, Re-spawn

Now I'm sort of near a town and I move in semi crouched and am dodging a good number of zombies, trying to meet up with my friend. Check a few places, most I find is empty bottles and cans. after a few empty stashes I run into another player and get shot at immediately and Die.

Okay cool, players instantly think everyone is bad, even when they have no gun. Got it, Re-spawn.

I then go through about 10 deaths of me looking around for ANYTHING and finding absolutely nothing anywhere I look and either getting killed by Hordes of zombies or people just killing me.

I'm all for the whole hardcore vibe it gives off, but at least give us some sort of defense early on. as it is right now there's no way for a new player to get a feel for the actual "survival" part of the game. My suggestion is up the drop rate of some weapons near the coastal buildings, or start off with a gun and maybe only 1 clip of ammo.

Welcome to the mod, don't get discouraged, it's ruthlessly tough. Just keep trying.

Are you keeping an eye on the icons on the right side, the amount of bars beside the Eye and Ear show you how much noise and motion you're making. Also, holding shift (or double tapping to toggle) will make you walk instead of run, which really reduces your noise/motion.

I expected tons of whining when I came in here to be honest, but you presented yourself nicely without being a baby about it so I can respect your opinion. I will agree that it's pretty damn hard fresh spawning now.

I'm not saying this makes things any better but if I may give my own suggestion, FULL ON STEALTH when around zombies and others. Getting places quick isn't worth death, crawl if you have to or wait somewhere you are hidden until it's safe to advance. Also head for one of the two main cities right away, it isn't safe per say.. but if you can sneak into a few buildings you will usually find enough look and guns and ammo to start you off if they haven't been cleared out by others already.

You should leave the south coast immediately. Look for a barn etc up north. The south coast is shiet.

So First of all my friend suggested I pick this mod up and try it as he has been having a blast with it!

So after tinkering around' date=' and missing a new patch (patch updates 10 minutes after I download 1.7.1.) Get on finally and see no gun. all I have are bandages and pain pills. Okay cool that just means I have to find them.

Well first time through, I get over to a building after much running, and get swarmed by zombies and die before I get close to it at all.

Alright, Fine. So I wasn't being stealthy enough. got it, Re-spawn

Now I'm sort of near a town and I move in semi crouched and am dodging a good number of zombies, trying to meet up with my friend. Check a few places, most I find is empty bottles and cans. after a few empty stashes I run into another player and get shot at immediately and Die.

Okay cool, players instantly think everyone is bad, even when they have no gun. Got it, Re-spawn.

I then go through about 10 deaths of me looking around for ANYTHING and finding absolutely nothing anywhere I look and either getting killed by Hordes of zombies or people just killing me.

I'm all for the whole hardcore vibe it gives off, but at least give us some sort of defense early on. as it is right now there's no way for a new player to get a feel for the actual "survival" part of the game. My suggestion is up the drop rate of some weapons near the coastal buildings, or start off with a gun and maybe only 1 clip of ammo.

[/quote']

Why are people having such a hard time getting away from the zombies? It's in fact easier now because you just have to break line of sight.. I've done like 10 times already and only died once when I started.. and that's because a player shot me.

However, I will admit that if a lot of people aren't understanding how to do it, that there will be a lot of deaths initially. But everyone will get the hang of it.. I personally love the changes.. so much more action and fear now.

You should leave the south coast immediately. Look for a barn etc up north. The south coast is shiet.

It's a bit hard traveling north without food and water tho.

lol problem is I think the dev's are listening to much to some people on this forum rather than developing the game as they see fit. It happens with all good games. Take for example BF2. It was a great game when it was released. Sure, it wasnt perfect, and it did need a patch to fix a few minor issues but all in all it was a great game. But as the dev's listened to the 'community' they released more patches to fix shit but they had to nerf stuff and 'balance' shit and slowly but surely they fucked it up to the point no-one wanted to play it anymore.

Its like I read somewhere here that they decided to remove weapons from your original kit to make things more challenging, and that 'most people' here voted for it. Thing is I don't recall seeing a vote on it so who are these 'most people'? Are they people that just happened to be on the forums when the question was raised? Are they people with multiple accounts that voted multiple times for it? Polls can be rigged just like elections can in real life. Like my previous example with BF2, apparently 'most people' voted for the US jets to be nerfed because they were too powerful against the MIG's and then the balance went the other way to the point no-one wanted to fly a US jet though in my opinion they were fine left alone as they were. And most people I spoke to were of the same opinion they were fine as they were so who were these people that voted for the nerf?

It's not "unplayable". Just search the barns or head to the north.

E: Seriously. If you call this mod "unplayable" only because you can't find any weapons in Chernogorsk/Electro, then please, uninstall DayZ.

Yeah, I've been trying to be pretty stealthy, staying crouched all the time, going slow. I appreciate the hints on the line of sight thing. I'm still going to be bashing my head against this for a while and hopefully it'll turn out alright, mostly this was a frustration post helping me take a breather! But I do still think the weapons, all be it crappy ones, need to spawn a bit more in the starting coastal areas. just keep the ammo drop rate low. I just want to be able to shot a couple things if need be!

running 15k with a need for food or drink is doable. really. plenty spots to find some.

Pay attention to the ear/eye icon on your right side and how they change based on what stance, speed and surface you move on.

Newbie, I had 70 hours worth of play, and I find the new game totally unplayable too. Stealth no longer works, zombies can spot you from a long distance even when you crawl. Happened to me plenty of times.

I keep reading that now you can just run and get all you want, there's a trick to losing huge crowds of zombies in houses with 2 exits. I've yet to get it to work, but those who have say it makes the game really easy. I'll try that a few more times, but it doesn't sound anything like the old dayz gameplay.

Ignore the "hardcore" who think the new, broken game is great, and that everyone who doesn't like it or preferred the old game should get lost. They flood every thread, but most of them seem utterly clueless and sound just like the CoD kiddies they revile.

lol problem is I think the dev's are listening to much to some people on this forum rather than developing the game as they see fit. It happens with all good games. Take for example BF2. It was a great game when it was released. Sure' date=' it wasnt perfect, and it did need a patch to fix a few minor issues but all in all it was a great game. But as the dev's listened to the 'community' they released more patches to fix shit but they had to nerf stuff and 'balance' shit and slowly but surely they fucked it up to the point no-one wanted to play it anymore.

Its like I read somewhere here that they decided to remove weapons from your original kit to make things more challenging, and that 'most people' here voted for it. Thing is I don't recall seeing a vote on it so who are these 'most people'? Are they people that just happened to be on the forums when the question was raised? Are they people with multiple accounts that voted multiple times for it? Polls can be rigged just like elections can in real life. Like my previous example with BF2, apparently 'most people' voted for the US jets to be nerfed because they were too powerful against the MIG's and then the balance went the other way to the point no-one wanted to fly a US jet though in my opinion they were fine left alone as they were. And most people I spoke to were of the same opinion they were fine as they were so who were these people that voted for the nerf?

[/quote']

Rocket posted a thread entitled "20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon"

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10806

About 8 pages in he determined the majority wanted it, so he said it was decided. Later he re-opened the thread because people were most likely flooding his inbox with feedback about it. Now there's over 1000 posts about it.

running 15k with a need for food or drink is doable. really. plenty spots to find some.

Yeah, but he can't handle the coastal buildings, it's not like running for 10minutes is going to change that. Sure there are easier spots to raid, but you need to get the idea of what to do, before you venture inland. Or at the very least get an axe, matches, knife, & water bottle so you don't have to raid places to eat/drink.

lol problem is I think the dev's are listening to much to some people on this forum rather than developing the game as they see fit. It happens with all good games. Take for example BF2. It was a great game when it was released. Sure' date=' it wasnt perfect, and it did need a patch to fix a few minor issues but all in all it was a great game. But as the dev's listened to the 'community' they released more patches to fix shit but they had to nerf stuff and 'balance' shit and slowly but surely they fucked it up to the point no-one wanted to play it anymore.

[/quote']

There was a no gun yes/no thread Rocket asked for peoples opinion. However it seems that while he gets our feedback he ultimately makes his own decision on whether to implement the change or not. In any case, anything changed now can always be changed back.

That said, I got the feeling a lot of people where just saying "Yes Please No Starting Gun" because they wanted to sound more legit and hardcore in the forums...an anonymous poll would probably have been more effective.

LOL yeah sure, because appearing more hardcore on these forums is soooooo important.

Can't you just accept that people have a different opinion than you?

I have now been able to dodge zombies by Running around a corner and almost immediately stop moving and crouch.

I'm at least getting a bit further now, by taking it super slow, but my opinion still stands, difficulty way to high right at the beginning

and it could just be that the people who frequent the forums tend to be the more hard core people, so they would be the ones to have noticed the "poll" for the no starting gun change, where as anyone who doesn't frequent the forum would never have known.

(Also, sorry on double post but these forums seem to handle them well)

I basically gave up after dying in the new patch. I dont even have any interest in starting over. Started over once, tried sneaking to a barn and got attacked by the horde. No weapon to defend myself? Ok, guess I have to keep running to stay alive. Run into more zombies? Stupid.

This needs to be changed. The last patch v1.7 was fun imo. This? Threw everything way off balance. Made the zombies tougher AND you take away our defense from them? Makes sense.

The whole point is that you're not supposed to reach end-game unless you are VERY lucky, or are EXTREMELY skilled. It's like dot.hack (net.hack? I forget) meets zombie survival. The whole point is that you die and see how far you get this time.

However, I will say that not having a canteen is a major issue since you can't drink directly from water sources.

So who's still having 'fun' playing this game with the latest update? Anyone?

I'm totally with you OP, the latest patch has driven the difficulty up to 90/10 and IS driving new players away from sticking with the game.

It's a real shame because v1.7.0 was the most fun I've ever had with a game.

the only thing that makes this mod unplayable is the arma II engine...

what a horror show.

as an old player, this mod is so difficult to install its unplayable. I dont understand how all these dumb little kids get it working but i cant.

the only thing that makes this mod unplayable is the arma II engine...

what a horror show.

Better than Unreal engine.

as an old player' date=' this mod is so difficult to install its unplayable. I dont understand how all these dumb little kids get it working but i cant.

[/quote']

My 52 years old clanmate got it working...

and it could just be that the people who frequent the forums tend to be the more hard core people' date=' so they would be the ones to have noticed the "poll" for the no starting gun change, where as anyone who doesn't frequent the forum would never have known.[/quote']

It was a short "poll". I don't think it was tampered with too much. I actually registered just to post my thoughts. I'm sure others did too.

If he made an actual poll there'd be lots of people out there screwing with it to get their desired results. It's better that it was decided quickly.

BUT! The most "hardcore" players aren't even on the forums anyway, they're busy losing zeds and munchin down on beans.