griffinz

Interview with Matthew Lightfoot

Lots of good info there, Thank you for this.

One thing Im unsure of though.. is there going to be more of an incentive or are they going to promote more cooperation in the game. Dont get me wrong, I know this is a PvP game, but it sounds like they are really trying to make it a zombie survival game not just PvP with some zombies in it. I just wonder what or how that is going to be accomplished.

Also when he was talking about the inventory system he compared it to the original resident evil. I havent played that, but it kind of sounded like diablo / diablo 2's Anyone whose played both.. am I right in thinking that?

Awsome day of info today, wow, really just wow.

Sooo... You are thinking of adding toilet animations... Does that mean I have to remember back to my old army days when we had to do the "One Finger Ass-wiping" with one square of toilet tissue?

One thing Im unsure of though.. is there going to be more of an incentive or are they going to promote more cooperation in the game. Dont get me wrong, I know this is a PvP game, but it sounds like they are really trying to make it a zombie survival game not just PvP with some zombies in it. I just wonder what or how that is going to be accomplished.

Also when he was talking about the inventory system he compared it to the original resident evil. I havent played that, but it kind of sounded like diablo / diablo 2's Anyone whose played both.. am I right in thinking that?

As far as Inventory goes i am imagining it will work on dividing the backpack into 'blocks' or slots and each item takes up a number of slots.

Eg a rifle 4 a pistol 1. So basically you could carry 20 small items in a 20 slot backpack or 5 items that take up 4 slots. It will be more visual so you can drag and drop to check if the item will fit rather than hoping your backpack doesn't eat your rifle and ammo.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 3

resident-evil-2-claire-inventory-screenshot-big.jpg

As far as Inventory goes i am imagining it will work on dividing the backpack into 'blocks' or slots and each item takes up a number of slots.

Eg a rifle 4 a pistol 1. So basically you could carry 20 small items in a 20 slot backpack or 5 items that take up 4 slots. It will be more visual so you can drag and drop to check if the item will fit rather than hoping your backpack doesn't eat your rifle and ammo.

Thanks! Yes that sounds like what I remember Diablo's inventory system being like.

EDIT

Also thanks NoCheats, great pic to use as an example.

Edited by Phooey

Wow - is that what Resi Evil looked like?

Its been a while! I think the point Matt was making was that items will have volume and take up a lot or little space.

This is the most useful set of forum admins and teams I've ever seen.

Just to confirm that this picture (since removed!) isn't the official SA inventory system. This was put together by Joeyslucky22 from the DayZ Web Team. We don't yet know what it will look like. This does look cool though.

Resi Evil wasn't like this.

I know it was from Joeyslucky22. Thought he compared it Resi Evil Style. That was the reason to post it. :blush:

Edited by NoCheats

In my opinion one of the most exciting aspects of what Matt said was about the revamped loot spawning.

On shelves, under beds, never in the same place....brilliant.

• Like 1

I know it was from Joeyslucky22. Thougt he compared it Resi Evil Style. That was the reason to post it. :blush:

Yeah, i suppose it was a new improved version. It just looked so shiny and new i thought people might get too excited and think that was it! You can repost if you like, there was a thread about it once.

@ DemonGroover Totally agree about loot spawning. I also liked hearing about being able to find more "civillian items".

/dreams of beating a zombie over the head with that sand wedge I found in somebody's closet. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

wait, he said zombies are gonna be faster?

mother of god

I just hope they don't have that strange urge to walk indoors.

Sweet, downloading so i can listen to it while i do the dishes and clean the house..yes..exciting times my friends.

Great interview. Content-wise I am a little bit disappointed.

Like stuff that I would consider extremely basic and therefore important to fix before the initial alpha release aren't coming till later. This includes

1) Zombie AI [and more different types of Zombies]

2) Walking down/up hills and stairs behaviour

3) Indoor walking behaviour / moving around corners => Currently it's simply shit

4) Player skeleton => Please fix before release. Getting killed by doors... srsly, that's not something that should be postponed.

All these things I consider basic, because that is stuff everyone has to deal with by the first minute of gameplay and thus jugdes the quality of improvements made based on what they experience the most.

Edited by Takas
  • Like 5

Sweet, downloading so i can listen to it while i do the dishes and clean the house..yes..exciting times my friends.

Back to work.....wuh-ksshh (that's supposed to be a whip sound!)

Awesome but I've had to take a break at the 15 minute mark because it sounds too good lol.

The attittude of the Leadership in this community has been impressive & I'd like to say thank you to everyone who's been involved in making this game and it's community what it is, Cheers ;)

• Like 1

The original recording was 600MB...some compression was used.

is there a higher quality version of this? or was the interview conducted in a tin shack submerged in the ocean.

The unedited high quality version with 100 more questions has been withheld.

Joke

• Like 1

I think ArmA's 'clunkiness' actually makes the game better in a lot of ways, of course it needs to be smoother looking and feeling to a certain extent, but I think it makes DayZ.

What you wouldn't want is people strafe running around like some corridor shooter dodging bullets.

Item spawning definitely sounds like the most interesting thing other than Zombie AI and animations

Great Q&A Guys.

• Like 3

Nifty, thanks for the Q&A. Appreciate the updates!

I didnt hear anyone ask if there would be some sort of character custimization like change character height, weight, pigment of skin or many other character custimizations are they going to implement that into the game?

I didnt hear anyone ask if there would be some sort of character custimization like change character height, weight, pigment of skin or many other character custimizations are they going to implement that into the game?

That would have been my question - can i play as a midget?

I want to kill someone and say "A Lannister always pays his debts"

• Like 2