rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

if anyone gets the chance to ask...will we able to write notes ingame ...this is possible even in minecraft and would add so much to the game...you would be able to find maybe diaries...or treasure maps...or you could leave notes for your team mates...or any other kind of sick shit :)

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 2

if anyone gets the chance to ask...will we able to write notes ingame ...this is possible even in minecraft and would add so much to the game...you would be able to find maybe diaries...or treasure maps...or you could leave notes for your team mates...or any other kind of sick shit :)

Interesting idea, but one that probably won't be used. I mean if I want to let people in my group know about things I would leave a message in ts3, vent or skype. I wouldn't leave a message in game about a loot spot for all the world to find and read.

Interesting idea, but one that probably won't be used. I mean if I want to let people in my group know about things I would leave a message in ts3, vent or skype. I wouldn't leave a message in game about a loot spot for all the world to find and read.

maybe some people don't want to cheat with 3rd party software ;)

Yeah am a proper cheater, got my TS3, vent, skype, IM, steam chat and smoke singles all running at the same time :P

• Like 1

Being able to spray paint walls would be really cool, Or use sharpies. To say Danger or something (Maybe a lot of zombies in one place)

Maybe allow fishing in the game for a quick meal (or long meal depending on the spot you're fishing at)

Have Bears be near water for fish, and wolves in the forest for hunting small game, have rabbits and deer/elk in game. Maybe Moose!

It would be cool to be able to have a few ways to survive.

City Scavenging Vs Wood Hunting

City easier to find food and equipment, Stay warm, find shelter and such But more dangers such as zombies and people.

Wood Hunting, Harder to find food and equipment Harder to stay warm, But less people and zombies.

My 2 cents, it would be cool to have a cabela's hunting aspect to the game :P

The note system is good. Also adding a "Diary" like a bio attached to the character so when you die people can inspect you, see what story your character had.

imagine doing something really crazy and surviving it?

you could right it down in your characters diary

makes a story play out,

you could stumble across a guy fallen from a building.. inspect him, and read his long story that eventually ended with him cornered on the top of a building.

but the spray paint idea is bad. it is too easily abused

Edited by Ovation

as far as I remember this feature has been discussed before ( was even promised for the game that shall not be named)....It would simply add a lot more space for creativity...would be epic to find a diary on a dead body and then to read his or her story....or imagine at the end of your DayZ day you could sit at the campfire and write everything down what has happened....

or what's about doing your own radio ( like radio wasteland in Fallout 3)....

Edited by Private Evans

The note system is good. Also adding a "Diary" like a bio attached to the character so when you die people can inspect you, see what story your character had.

imagine doing something really crazy and surviving it?

you could right it down in your characters diary

makes a story play out,

you could stumble across a guy fallen from a building.. inspect him, and read his long story that eventually ended with him cornered on the top of a building.

but the spray paint idea is bad. it is too easily abused

This could actually work, but if the writing was at least to some degree automatic (with space for custom writing, obviously). People would stop writing themselves their adventures first because it takes time and focus, in a world trying to kill you. Secondly you would hate to be murdered by a bandit that doesn't give sh*t about your notes and the time you spent writing them and left it there to rot with your body (or instantly erase it by hiding the body).

If the system is automatic then it has a chance of being valuable to the gameplay, like for example, if it writes a line for each "checkpoint" location the player goes. Checkpoint locations can be Airfields, towns, or relevant buildings inside towns, barns, etc. and maybe lists the loot gathered in each checkpoint. It would also list the combats and kills the player had. So it would work kind of a trail of where the player has been and what he has collected and who he has seen and combated, so that the killer can for example learn about your steps and find useful information (like where can he find some type of gun/ammo that you had). If it also listed the gear that the player saw but didn't pick, it could be valuable for loot hunting. E.g.: You killed a bandit with your axe, and in his notes you see that he killed a guy that had a Winchested in Cherno but he left it with the body. You have no gun, therefore you can go to cherno to try and find the body with the Winchester. Or you find in some guys notes that he saw somewhere a type of ammo that you want for your gun, etc.

You'd be rewarding the player to check the dead body notes/diary this way.

Edit: Just realised that this system is great because since it works as a log, admins could easily check (maybe even in-game) how a player got certain loot. If world-spawns are also logged he can then compare the player notes with the world spawns to see if the player hacked-in weapons or not.

Edited by Reverie
  • Like 1

that is the world of DayZ ..probably you and your diary will just rot somewhere in the northern woods...but hey you don't have to write one...that's the point...finding the diary of a survivor would be probably a pretty rare but epic event...you could also write some sick stuff about your underwear and your cholera...whatever...it would be perfect if you could attach notes to a wall or post..maybe warnings for other players...the possibilities are endless...but of course as always... just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Yeah,spray paint is a better idea than a note pad imo,writting on walls to let others know of the dangers in the area would be cool.

You need to explain mate how using TS3 or Vent etc is classed as cheating?

Any chance of a few more mouth watering screenshots! please with cherries on top!!!!

You need to explain mate how using TS3 or Vent etc is classed as cheating?

calling it "cheating" may seem like hyperbole, but I'd rather not mince words. it gives you an obvious advantage. the game has an in-game chat system that Rocket purposely nerfed (removing side chat). he blames himself for not giving people other group communication options (there was a lot of talk about the possibility of radios/cell phones), but I think it's clear that restricting it to 'direct chat' was because he didn't want people to just be able to magically communicate over large distances

but I understand a lot of this might seem like a foreign concept, given the current state of private servers with side chat enabled and a "join our teamspeak" message

• Like 2

doesnt group comms lag servers? why do some of them turn it off altogether i.e. even direct?

Just found some concept photos on the clothing customisation and new weapon handling that will be available in SA.

3090ufk.jpg

• Like 12

In Rhino's interview with Matt

Matt States 18:30

Rhino: "Anything you would like to spill before we go?"

"we generally haven't, really got anything else apart from the tumbler update. We haven't fixed for the release yet because we still working on some final things like, weapons as entities, and the new gear system"

using my detective skills, let's assume that; If release only comes down to those two things, then i'm sure its not far away.

very awesome

Edited by Ovation

Rhino: "Anything you would like to spill before we go?"

"we generally haven't, really got anything else apart from the tumbler update. We haven't fixed for the release yet because we still working on some final things like, weapons as entities, and the new gear system"

using my detective skills, let's assume that; If release only comes down to those two things, then i'm sure its not far away.

He could have also been using those two as just examples, not as the whole list of things.

Perhaps, He mention's these two were discussed, They decided there importance in foundation was necessary for a better release, so in my opinion these things are holding the date, maybe not entirely alone but to the most part when these are implemented, testing will commence!

Edited by Ovation

Hopefully they come out with tomorrow so it's a POS game that is full of bugs and devoid of content! Wouldn't that be awesome?!?

I think we'll have to wait for testing to check out all of that. If you want a good idea though you should try the Take On Helicopters Demo (or by the full game, it's good). It's free, uses the same base engine, and the weather system and heli sim elements from that are being ported into the SA. It's a good chance to learn to fly the helis properly before the SA release too.

Dude seriously tell rocket i want the same love to ground vehicles, when you enter a car i wanna see myself climb(like in toh) in :( keys/gears etc

Edited by Ejaculacid
  • Like 1

You might not particularly like their style but some of the early Youtubers really brought DayZ to the attention of a lot of people.

I first saw a video last May and thought "I have to play this game!" I was hooked before i'd even downloaded the actual mod.

I had the video of myself getting robbed and killed on a highway and i didn't get any beta =[