Hze

Near impossible for new players now

I understand that guns were removed upon respawn to discourage griefing on the beaches' date=' but would it have hurt to give new players some kind of melee weapon to start out with? If players had to chase each other down and get within melee range to attack, it would be enough of a deterrent. I actually find it unrealistic for a recently-awakened "Survivor" to spawn without a machete or even a baseball bat to defend themselves from zombies.

[/quote']

I agree and disagree spawning with weapon , is out of character for DayZ now , the world of zombie's is tough and brutal, so be it.

To be able to find weapons without dying in the process, is a happy medium. The weapons to defend oneself could be placed on copses within 1000m or where you spawn. Birds flying overhead, and the blowfly sound, will give you a idea of where to go to collect your weapon, which could be anything , as long as it kills zombies.

I started playing this today, after 8 or 9 respawns I gave up.

Only a few minutes after every respawn I had a zombies behind me, even when looking around for them and not spotting any. Even after running for 15 minutes they keep on following.

Crawling around for the first few hours (until you find a weapon) might be an option, but that's just ridiculous.

Yeah, really. I spawned, sneaked through what I thought was Balota (crawl, crawl, crawl...). I find some ammo, a coke and a bandage and move on north. Things are getting quiet, I think I can start to crouch run and bam! Two zombies from over the horizon in the wilderness are on to me. Now I might as well have every zombie on the map after me without a weapon and out in the open where I can't try to cheat the zombies.

I understand that in the current patch zombie detection is broken, but could we just get a makarov and a few mags until it's fixed? Could it just be given a modifier that makes it incredibly weak against other players but at least somewhat effective against zombies? Can I get a way to defend myself from just one zombie even?

I read in a thread by Rocket that the current balance was a result of fixing bugs. If I could make a suggestion it would be put the bugs back! When I started playing during patch 1.7 it was like a dream game. Now I don't want to give it the time of day.

My new tactic is. After respawn fast run to forest, stay away of big cities. Fast find out some high seat because of weapon and then continue looking for cow house or barn. There are always some supplies. When you are near to this object and some zombies are around, use crawling. In barn when Zombies will detect you, run up stairs and then kill zombies trying to go up, they will be very slow.

Stick to the tree line, dont be an idiot. Dont rush in and take your time. Its essentially a survival simulator now, its not an action RPG.

If I stay away from big cities is it possible for me to find a gun or weapon? And if so, where? Most houses I see that are standing alone often cannot be entered.

Stick to the tree line' date=' dont be an idiot. Dont rush in and take your time. Its essentially a survival simulator now, its not an action RPG.

[/quote']

Implying that it wasn't a survival simulator before? It was still suicide to run into a zombie population and start firing indiscriminately, and even if you could survive you'd probably alert other survivors who might want to kill you, or take damage from the zombies, or lose a lot of your ammo. You still had to sneak, and in 1.7 it was varied and interesting, allowing you to move at a good clip with crouch running (which is nice for people who have other things to do which is everybody), but still requiring crouch walking and crawling. Now it's crawl or be seen, and then be fucked with no way to defend oneself.

I know that the current situation is not intended so I don't need anyone to tell me that. What I take issue with is the idea that things are fine and dandy how they are.

Good Morning!

After reading this thread for a little while I've found a range of perplexing opinions and I feel I could contribute to this article with an authentic opinion. I viewed the PC gamer video diary of DayZ on monday night and subsequently downloaded the mod almost in a fevor. My heart raced at the prospect of a simulation quality zombie survival mod. I'm going to note the three occassions I've been able to play thus far with the purposes of providing an insight in to the new players experiance. You'll note I just registered yesterday and this is my first post, but I hope it will be helpful nonetheless.

Experiance 1: Monday Night

upon downloading the mod I swiftly load six updater and paw my way into a server. I exciteded create my character, select my gender, and eagerly await my spawning into my own personal nightmare. Upon spawning I realize it's night and I can't see anything. My screen is litterally pitch black. I struggle with my gear interface and manage to equip my flashlight, luckily as an ARMA2 player this is not very difficult for me to accomplish. I turn my flashlight on to find it that it does little more than illuminate a seemingly 2 foot cone and illuminates nothing when moving effectly making it useless. Although slightly discouraged I attempt to continue onward still inspired by the survival aspect. As a veteran having experianced pitch black nights in afghanistan, my suspension of disbelief is slightly destroyed because I'm aware an individual could see alot better this the game is allowing for on a clear night with a ton of starlight, and possibily moonlight, and I'm wondering if the relective cup of my flashlight is made of crumpled tinfoil, but I put these feelings aside to continue. I do not up my gamma because I consider that akin to glitching. I find some railroad tracks and attempt to following to find scavenging grounds of some sword. I try to maintain light and noise discipline and maintain a low profile. After 10 minutes of walking a crawling zombie sneaks up on my breaks a bone and causes bleeding with one strike and I die. I shut the game down because I need to wake up early.

Experiance 2, Tuesday Afternoon.

I load up into the day setting, relieved that I won't have to deal with the void and spawn into a new character with newfound excitement. I find a lighthouse and decide to see if I can find anything in it. There is nothing. another player passes me, stops, I challenge him via microphone, he doesnt respond and instead runs past me to the lighthouse. I shrug and continue down the shore to a complex I've spotted, hoping to find any tool of self defense. I sneak past several walkers and enter a building. There is nothing to be found. I sneak past several walkers and examine car wrecks, once again nothing. At this point a crawling zombie runs up and smacks me. I proceed to run into a nearby buidling where I find another player with an axe. They are combating zombies, but I am unable to assist because I have no equipment. The one hit from the crawling has caused extreme bleeding and I attempt to open my inventory to bandage myself. For some reason right clicking my banage yields no result. I powerlessly watch as my newfound peer is swamped by zombies and I bleed to death unable to help him. Also he does not respond to my voice hails, but whatever.

Experiance 3, Tuesday Evening.

I decide to give it one more go. I spawn in and try a different direction. I run into the woods and examine barns or any structures I can come accross. Nothing is to be found. After an hour and a half of doing this I exit the woods slightly frusterated and come accross a small aclove of buildings. I move to examine them, sneak past two walkers and check two buildings to discover they are both unenterable. I start to disengage and a crawling catches wind of my presense. I begin to sprint away determined not die again. I manage to escape the crawler... but his two walkers which are now sprinting at roughly 125-150% of my sprint speed, (pretty athletic for dead dudes) have decided they want a piece of the action. I sprint to a nearby building and enter... they persist but slow for a second.... thinking I've escaped I sprint up the shore... suddenly they appear. Frusterated, I sprint near a lighthouse... they persist... and aggro another set that were close by. 4 are now chasing me and eventually one lands a hit that cripples me resulting in death.

Final Thoughts:

While I laud and comment the survival aspects of the game, I played for roughly 4 hours over the course of these 3 experiances and essentially accomplished nothing. There was little reward from the minor accomplishments I made, such as evading walkers, infiltrating complexes and scavenging. I think this is a great mod, but there needs to be slightly more accessability for new players if we want them to stick around. I'm supprisingly stuborn so I may not be going anywhere, but I know anyone I present this mod to in the current xbox generation will scoff after 30 minutes, sadly enough.

My humble opinion:

Give some manner with which to defend oneself from the start regardless of how meager and weak. Anyone can pick up a stick and bash oneone in the head, even if it doesnt do much damage, it will make the player feel like he has a chance, however slim. This presents a possible challenge, and people like overcoming challenges.

Provide some sort of illumination for the night:

Next time you go camping, go on a clear night with the moon our past half and tell me if you can see.

I think this would make it ten times easier for a new player to jump into the game. I know there may be some backlash to this post, I expect that kind of resistance, some people just like being argumentative its provides a forum and thats good. These are honest opinions and experiances from someone with no background that just set the game up and I thought we could benefit from a little insight. I'll still continue to play, and I look forward to seeing you on the island.

Respectfully,

Connors

*EDIT* I apolgize for grammatical/spelling errors, I wrote this while on my way to my summer calculus course and It was more hectic then expected.

Ok I played 1.7.1.4 for about 3 hours last night. I can deal with tougher Zed

I notice two issues.

1. Zeds have super sense in tracking.I went and aggroed a ZED into the woods and up a hill. I could no longer see the Zed had to be 300+ meters off in the woods. I crouched walked over the crest of the hill and then when I was well on the other side going down. I ran down for about 30 secs and made a left 90 turn and run about 1 min to the edge of the woods. There were no building in the area. As I reviewed my maps to figured out where I was A zed of the same model so it seems to me that it was the same zed came running up from behind to attack me. I repeated this 3 different time with the same results and it seems that there is only 1 or 2 that have this super tracking ability others zeds I lost with ease.

2. Zeds xray vision. Refer to this image https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ruN8f8t6Hq8F2okV3KwQjTtuWb2l4ni8Xva_LrEzO-Y/edit

There were no zeds around only the sound of a zed on the other side of the brick wall. I checked all sides of the building no Zeds. I crawled into the build. I went to a kneeling position and I heard the Zed scream. I watched as he come around the wall where the red dot is in the image.

These are my two main issues

My favorite moment last night was when I discovered gates, wall and doors do not stop Zeds. This and when I got jump by a zed from a roof top where he spawned. He screamed jump and died right in front of me when he hit the ground.

I can see this can be a big turn off to new players and existing players

(edit)

Yeah this is going to be fixed in 1.7.1.5

* [FIXED] Infected can see through terrain ( https://dev-heaven.net/issues/33787 )

I died yesterday after quite a long time alive, so I respawned in cherno.. at that point I had nothing to lose so I sprinted through town (got every zombie i could find after me) found a double-barreled shotgun but only 2 shells.. passed a fellow noobie with no gun, saluted him (he was bleeding from his head) and did not shoot him (figured i'd save my bullets in case i saw a bandit.) About 5 minutes later im in the supermarket and i notice a bandit trying to flank me.. I lay down and pop his sleeve as he crawls around the corner.. knocked him out... shot him again and killed him...

he had alice pack with a tent in it... m16, 1911...

wasn't that hard for me to find gear cause i had nothing really i cared to lose so i played like a maniac! :P

I died yesterday after quite a long time alive' date=' so I respawned in cherno.. at that point I had nothing to lose so I sprinted through town (got every zombie i could find after me) found a double-barreled shotgun but only 2 shells.. passed a fellow noobie with no gun, saluted him (he was bleeding from his head) and did not shoot him (figured i'd save my bullets in case i saw a bandit.) About 5 minutes later im in the supermarket and i notice a bandit trying to flank me.. I lay down and pop his sleeve as he crawls around the corner.. knocked him out... shot him again and killed him...

he had alice pack with a tent in it... m16, 1911...

wasn't that hard for me to find gear cause i had nothing really i cared to lose so i played like a maniac! :P

[/quote']

Yeah last night the last thing I tried was be a maniac and run through town loose the Zeds in a barn or something then loot and scoot. Got more equipment in a shorter amount of time then I did in all other of my sorties last night.

Yea dying in day z is almost a relief at times cause you can just run around like a crazy man and not care about dying again!

Does anyone actually read the updates section? A lot of issues people seem to be complaining about are known and being addressed in the rolling updates, i.e. zombie difficulity and item spawns. Many players are bringing these things up in the bugs forum. Give it until this version of the Alpha is a little more stable before you start declaring things gamebreaking features that'll chase away all the players.

Well. With the re-worked agro it has become much better, thx.

Still a question of weapon stands. Meeting a bandit with an axe in hands... Ownage Imminent

After beeing crushed by a door I opened last night... I had to start all over again.

Many things still need correction.

Z sees trough doors, no mater if you cloe the door they will open it, they also cross clossed door form time to tim and climb ladder´s as easy as you do.

It´s kid of stupid you agr a z and suddenly half the town comes running to you. They must have walkie talkies xD...

Never the less on the second try I succeeded and now have a weapon, food and a axe. Avoid big towns when re-spawning crawl in presence of zombies.

common problem of the zombies. they can get through doors, over obstacles, climb ladders, walk through walls. well open doors and climb ladders is ok (28days later zombies f.e.) but hit and walk through walls is just a huge pain in the arse!

The issue is that alot of people are new , not to the DAYZ but Arma..And it takes time to get used to it.. I never have had a problem playing withouth a weapon..its more of a challenge ..

Just check firestation...if you don't find any loot , go 50 meters away from it and connect to a diffrent server you should be able to find something..