griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Oh, get over yourself. You've got the DayZ mod to play, in its many incarnations, while you wait. The standalone was a happy accident that came about because the Mod was so popular. It was never the dev team's intention to have a full game out of this - now we've got one coming, just be happy and learn to have a little patience. As you've gotten older you should have realised that the "but you said it" argument doesn't go anywhere.

I'd rather see the standalone take a year to come out and be worth it than have it rushed to market with bugs, glitches and unfinished features.

Nobody is saying that the game needed to come out FFS.

What we are saying is that rocket stated multiple times in presentations that he did that the game was going to come out in 2012, nobody should be upset if the game got pushed back to 2013, what people have a right to be upset about is that there were clearly promises that were said multiple times that the game would come out by a certain date and that date has been reached and we have had ZERO communication about the postponment of the game.

If this is honestly the way things are going to be handeled then rocket WILL lose sales.

• Like 3

Yep I do not want a rushed game. Even if it is a Minecraft model there are many things that can be done in closed beta first. That will make for better testing later when obvious bugs are taken care of first.

The issue is suddenly we hear nothing. For a free mod this can be accepted but in this case I do not believe it is a good thing for a company to be doing this for a project that intends to make money.

For me once the SA is out I will say "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" (I intend to purchase a key for my friend as well) And I think many still feel that way. We are excited about SA and look forward to the awesome stories that will come from it. Until then though it is a companies responsibility to it's customers to keep atleast the basic amount of communication.

Here's the information you requested, posted ten days ago:

Fair point. This was a crisis that needed attention to enable people to play. Standalone is going just fine, I need to be a bit more careful about what I say so it's less of a crisis situation. If only half the people buy the game because I've been super quiet then so be it, we want to make this the best it can be. That is all we care about now. Everything else is secondary, release date, profit - the lot. Marek (CEO) and me both want the same thing, DayZ to live up to its potential.

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

Here's the information you requested, posted ten days ago:

Fair point. This was a crisis that needed attention to enable people to play. Standalone is going just fine, I need to be a bit more careful about what I say so it's less of a crisis situation. If only half the people buy the game because I've been super quiet then so be it, we want to make this the best it can be. That is all we care about now. Everything else is secondary, release date, profit - the lot. Marek (CEO) and me both want the same thing, DayZ to live up to its potential.

http://www.reddit.com/user/rocket2guns

You cant honestly believe that profit is secondary.

Im sorry to burst your bubble but despite how much rocket wants the game to live up to its potential, if he does not please the investors then there will be a lot of consequences and the game will not reach its potential.

Which investors?

The mod increased ArmA 2 sales with more than 600%.

You cant honestly believe that profit is secondary.

Im sorry to burst your bubble but despite how much rocket wants the game to live up to its potential, if he does not please the investors then there will be a lot of consequences and the game will not reach its potential.

What utter hogwash. Pure bilge-water of the first order.

The standalone isn't some project that BI are pinning their hopes on financially - it's probably being funded by the money they made off sales of Arma II so people could play the mod.

As I say - it's a happy accident we're getting it at all. There ain't no 'investors' waiting in the wings with clipboards demanding to see a return on their money, and their ain't gonna be no 'consequences' if the standalone doesn't arrive next week, next month or next year.

It'll be done when it's done and all y'all should learn to be cool with that. We get a great game, BI get a cash injection, some zombies get headshot and some noobs'll be a-gettin sniped. It's a win-win-win-win.

'less your a noob, I s'pose.

• Like 1

What utter hogwash. Pure bilge-water of the first order.

The standalone isn't some project that BI are pinning their hopes on financially - it's probably being funded by the money they made off sales of Arma II so people could play the mod.

As I say - it's a happy accident we're getting it at all. There ain't no 'investors' waiting in the wings with clipboards demanding to see a return on their money, and their ain't gonna be no 'consequences' if the standalone doesn't arrive next week, next month or next year.

It'll be done when it's done and all y'all should learn to be cool with that. We get a great game, BI get a cash injection, some zombies get headshot and some noobs'll be a-gettin sniped. It's a win-win-win-win.

'less your a noob, I s'pose.

Just because BI made money off of mod sales they somehow are going to completely ignore another opportunity to make money? Thats not how buisness succeed.

Just because BI made money off of mod sales they somehow are going to completely ignore another opportunity to make money? Thats not how buisness succeed.

Don't be a sasafrassin idiot. 'Course they gonna want that DayZ standalone money - but they ain't countin on it in any meanin'ful sense. They saw the success a the mod and decided to make a game out of it. That sounds like good business sense to me.

But remember - DayZ was never a part of their release schedule - that's all tied up in Arma III. Rocket's big thang just came along, shamblin into success like a zombie that's stumbled into the junior girls choir's annual slumber party.

BI'll get their loot - and we'll get our game. It's just taking a little longer than we thought it would, is all.

Don't be a sasafrassin idiot. 'Course they gonna want that DayZ standalone money - but they ain't countin on it in any meanin'ful sense. They saw the success a the mod and decided to make a game out of it. That sounds like good business sense to me.

But remember - DayZ was never a part of their release schedule - that's all tied up in Arma III. Rocket's big thang just came along, shamblin into success like a zombie that's stumbled into the junior girls choir's annual slumber party.

BI'll get their loot - and we'll get our game. It's just taking a little longer than we thought it would, is all.

Of course they arent going to count on it. But they will try to squeeze every penny out of the game while they can.

That is the only good buisness sense there is. Anything else and someone else will do it better than you.

Well, im new to DayZ and only watched some hours of Videos about the Mod.

As i heard some weeks ago there will be the SA at the end of the year, i decided to wait for it and not buying the highly bugged and cheaterinfested mod as it is now.

I found this Forum and Thread and look it up every day for anything regarding the SA.

Ive never seen anything comparable in terms of not giving ANY information about a release date, or just any information regarding the game.

Rocket.....well. He is stressed and under pressure because of releasing the damn piece of software, ok....not a problem at all.

But why doesnt he lower his OWN pressure by just stopping by somewhere..Reddit, Twitter, Forum..wherever and just saying a simple word

about how the status is?

Does he think he will get flamed/losing possible buyers by saying something about the development status, even if its not so positive?

As i learned from so many other games before they were released is, that most of the people understand any circumstances that affect a possible delay.

Shelling out Screenshots about the current status is just common for most of the games out there.

Keeping everything secret is a very bad sign. Not for the relase of the SA itself, just for the release of Updates, Patches and Support.

Do you really want to be left alone like this all the time if youre waiting for a future patch that fixes a Crash or something really bad?

Man, everyone here cant wait and has high hopes about a release in January.

I can wait some months more if the product is fine. But only how they handle the lack of information makes me feel bad about future handling.

Btw. If Steam is a reason for the delay and they are told that in this phase they are not allowed to share any information of it, they could even tell this to the fanbase.

Welcome to BI games then.

I don't know if you noticed what happened when Rocket informed us that he considered the Standalone to be released as a foundation build. 10 days later WarZ announced they had renamed their alpha to foundation and then they released their alpha version on Steam. So DayZ has to be very careful releasing information, because not only will the competition instantly rip it off, they'll do it so poorly, that people will begin questioning the original idea.

Well against conventional business wisdom Bohemia Interactive allows their customers unheard access, creating their own user content, instead of forcing DLC upon them. Conventional business wisdom wasn't interested in Rocket's original idea either, because it didn't completely surrender to casual gamers and maybe that's exactly why DayZ succeeded. A rising amount of gamers are so sick and tired of being treated as idiots, they are actually choosing gameplay that challenges their skills and punish mistakes.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 5

WarZ is ripping everything and BI has to be careful about giving not any information out that can be stolen or used against them because this iron is really hot, fine.

But saying SOMETHING that could not be misused in any way is not impossible and would show that they are awake and kicking.

Every Game has the same problems and DayZ is not an exception because its not casual and targets other gamers.

I saw what going retail has did to a mod like Day of Defeat, a desaster, lets hope this will come out fine.

I saw what going retail has did to a mod like Day of Defeat, a desaster, lets hope this will come out fine.

But DoD has always been a mod, and still is.

Well, as DoD became 1.0 it was retail and players including me left and missed the betas because they were targeting the casual market more.

DoD:S is another universe and went backward downstairs.

Natural Selection 2 for another example is also much worse than the original mod.

NS2 has its own Engine, but the gameplay is much simpler and differs too much from the original.

Just hope DayZ will be the same like the mod.

I really hope after the DayZ SA, everthing about the silence will be cleared out, so nobody will feel "mistreated".

Happy new Year from Germany :beans:

Edited by CagedCheetah
  • Like 1

I would just like to reiterate, especially with what's been going on with the whole depression ordeal and everything else;

I don't care if I wait 3 months for a game. I don't care if I wait 3 years for a game. All I care about is quality, and the dev team deserves all the time they need. Especially since the WarZ turned out to be a total and utter scam, it is likely no longer even competition for them and I have no doubts that this game, no matter its flaws, will be amazing, just like the mod was. I wish Rocket the absolute best of luck and I want him to know that everyone supports him to the fullest. Now get back to making a great game, and have an awesome new year! ;)

Edited by Excision

Of course they arent going to count on it. But they will try to squeeze every penny out of the game while they can.

That is the only good buisness sense there is. Anything else and someone else will do it better than you.

Bean counters make terrible games. We've seen an example of the extreme cash grab philosophy of game development recently and the product delivered was awful and the customer service was inexcusable.

Building a solid product and choosing not to shake down your customers for every penny are two very solid business practices, even if they're uncommon in today's world.

• Like 3

Oh my geez again the issue is NOT delay. The issue is basically saying nothing about it. Only idiots would be complaining about delay if he or the CEO or ANYONE at BI who works on DayZ said. "We feel additional time is needed to present DayZ in a matter our customers hope and expect. We look forward to showing more in the new year! Happy Holidays!"

Silence is not good... Period. Especially these days where a twitter takes less than 30 seconds to write and post.

And no his silence (Atleast for now) Is not going to change my plans to purchase this game. It is just unfortunate and makes me feel sad as a customer.

• Like 3

If all this business is causing Rocket and the team stress then i say we wait as long as is needed. Sure it would be good for an update ot two, but really, what would it accomplish? People would always want more. The devs have been tight lipped because of a certain game that seems to grab any idea that is put out there.

Its coming! Thats all i care about.

• Like 2

Oh my geez again the issue is NOT delay. The issue is basically saying nothing about it. Only idiots would be complaining about delay if he or the CEO or ANYONE at BI who works on DayZ said. "We feel additional time is needed to present DayZ in a matter our customers hope and expect. We look forward to showing more in the new year! Happy Holidays!"

Silence is not good... Period. Especially these days where a twitter takes less than 30 seconds to write and post.

And no his silence (Atleast for now) Is not going to change my plans to purchase this game. It is just unfortunate and makes me feel sad as a customer.

Yes, fucking yes.....anyone about to flame just look at the first line above. The silence is well fucking ridiculous, ive been playing games for 20+ years i should be used to this shit.

But when someone comes along with great communication and enthusiasm i thought, finally a gamer/developer who gives a shit....but sadly i think it's a ruse to sell more units

of arma2 over steam sales.

I just hope Rocket hasnt been mussled over this period by BI.......because they may have cost him his rep.

This posted by a DAYZ addict

• Like 2

If all this business is causing Rocket and the team stress then i say we wait as long as is needed. Sure it would be good for an update ot two, but really, what would it accomplish? People would always want more. The devs have been tight lipped because of a certain game that seems to grab any idea that is put out there.

Please read my post again. Does the line I suggest even remotely show any plans? WarZ is not an excuse to remain completely silent. Or atleast a simple acknowledgement that 2012 was missed but development continues.

And to be frank. When I get stressed when a customer nearly runs over me in a SUV at work I don't get to call in and say I can't come in. I have to continue to work and hope for the best. Otherwise the company could not function nor compete in the market.

Edited by Zachstar
  • Like 1

Carn the Dee's!! Where abouts in VIC are you mate?

Happy New Year to the DayZ team.

I haven't really followed this discussion, but would just like to say that I hope the team don't let the development of this game ruin their health or their sanity. Standalone will be ready when it is ready and it will benefit from a solid alpha release even if it is not content or feature complete. The troubles of that 'other' game shows what happens when you try to rush something.

Anyway, I wish health and happiness to all involved in the DayZ development and my very best wishes for 2013. You have my money whenever this is released and I look forward to the ride!