rocket

New Dev Blog Report: November 2012

What's about game settings? (I mean video game settings). Making them forced by the server makes possibilities to hack them also. Won't it be better just to remove some settings (like viewdistance etc.) to prevent the new type of hacking?

And "player’s client sends its requests and the server decides if this is possible" - damn it sounds really sexy.

Dont be hurry, guys, we will wait.

Good work is done and I wish you good luck.

Edited by ScareD
  • Like 1

My one and only concern is that you don't streamline the inventory/animations too much. I think a huge part of the tension created in DayZ stems from some of its klunkiness. Trying to sort through loot piles, swapping guns through your inventory, waiting for those animations while you're being shot at or zombies are around really adds to the stress of the game. Obviously there is room for improvement on it, but please try to keep some of that tension! If you clean it up too much it will really turn into just a run and gun fest.

Keep up the good work though, this is the best game that has come out in years!

• Like 13

The controls have been completely rethought, using inspiration and design lessons from games such as Minecraft to make the player more engaged with their environment

Do you have any examples or scenarios regarding this?

No more gamma exploiting :) Will Line Of Sight also be handled server-side? I imagine that is going to to make cheating a lot more difficult. How will these architectural changes affect things like hit-detection?

Still possible for someone to adjust colours etc in video card settings or tuning their monitor. This makes hiding in shadows or grass more viable though.

This is an awesome update. It has made me even more excited for the game. lol. I am glad you are not trying to rush it out before the end of the year, and are going to make sure everything works before releasing it. I am sure most people here, like myself, will not care if the game is delayed a month to make sure it is suitable for release. The more time spent on the game the better it will be.

But damn I hope its out by the end of december. lol. Hell I am nearly more excited to see the new inventory system than anything else. XD.

Thx Rocket 4 Update. ;)

From testing with 175 player DayZ servers we believe more than 150 players is too many for a map the size of Chernarus. While ChernarusPlus does have slightly more usable space, I still believe our current design will likely peak at 150

Without massiv more Teamplay elements it sounds like a extrem boring massiv PVP Gaming.

Then we have a masked FirstPersonShooter in a mmo dress. :(

Future will show.

My little fat heart is bursting with excitement.

• Like 1

"Weapons and items are now “entities”. This means they are more object oriented in structure, allowing weapon customization, degradation - the possibilities become endless. This is a major, huge, shift in engine architecture."

o

The Server controls character actions, a player’s client sends its requests and the server decides if this is possible. Our lead programmer in the company, Ondrej Spanel, is working on this currently. I believe this is one of the most radical changes ever implemented in the engine since Operation Flashpoint was released, and turns DayZ from an FPS into a true MMO.

Ok so does that mean a potential issue on servers you have a 100+ ping to?

Doesn't it open the door to potential issues with non responsiveness, then a sudden rush of delayed commands being executed.

So now latency will be a much bigger priority in selecting a server?

• Like 1

Beans need to have the chance to make you randomly fart within 10 mins of consumption, imagine the possibilities, imagine the comedy.

Thanks for the update Dean.

Edited by jaymacca
  • Like 6

I figured you wrote it late at night when i read it :D

I met many at the team at Valve at PAX,

Anyways, great to see some new announcements, and to be honest, i guess a lot of us would be willing to wait even if the game gets a little delayed and won't be able to get released next month.

All that is left to be said is: Keep up the good work, and make us a great game that we can enjoy :D Cheers !

P.S. Now get back to work and stop wasting time on us whiners :D

We will still buy the game, no matter how many updates or screenshots you post/don't post

Edited by nmv06

All of this information is sounding superb. When can we expect the announcement of the announcement of the announcement of the release date?

Gee wilickers, aint that just the bee's knees, I couldn't be happier!

In all seriousness the things you mentioned in the blog post sound like really positive steps forward for DayZ. Especially non-exploitable gamma, the server client relationship, clothes, and weapon/item changes. Knowing that your focusing on game mechanics and general functionality before adding more bells and whistles has really put my mind at ease.

I <3 this development team!

• Like 2

The reasons for any slippage would be publicly discussed, and would most likely represent a failure personally on my part to plan correctly.
Wishful thinking is not a defect.

The community at large don't seem the type to bite the hand that feeds, so don't stress about it.

You said you'd keep us in the loop, and you delivered.

Keep up the good work, boss.

Much appreciated.

:beans:
  • Like 1

It would be sick if survivors like the Cherno Journo, and This Guy could get custom skins. It would be hilarious if a few well known players got war correspondent skins and ran around Chernarus looking like this.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the mention of a delay indeed means that development isn't as far along as they want to be. Regardless, everything you're doing sounds great.

Wuhu Hats!!!

Thanks for the great Mod, looking forwards to the standalone.

The controls have been completely rethought, using inspiration and design lessons from games such as Minecraft to make the player more engaged with their environment

Does that mean that there will be something like a Jump featured?

Thx for your great work

• Like 2

If by 'more engaged with their environment' you mean we are able to climb walls and such, then I'll be exceptionally happy. Just don't forget about player interaction either, the thought of hoisting up a partner to a higher obstacle to gain access to a new area excites me.

It's great to hear that we'll be able to customise shoes, hats, pants and torso separately, its definitely a great step towards being personally distinguished. I just hope that there's a fair amount of options, and the character customisation is detailed enough. As in choosing hair, face and skin tone (Or even just face and hair) separately. Basic, but efficient and gets the job done. Is there any word on how character creation will play out, or is that still under development?

• Like 4