rocket

New Dev Blog Report: November 2012

nice update, thank you. I like that you bolded the part where you WILL move the release date if necessary, because that's what you really should do if you guys find it necessary! Can't wait.

What I love about the announcement:

-Reduced clunkiness

-Customization features on both the gun and the character

-New controls

Thanks Sir Rocket!

P.S. Take your time with the game and keep it that way, I am willing to wait.

• Like 1

If by 'more engaged with their environment' you mean we are able to climb walls and such, then I'll be exceptionally happy. Just don't forget about player interaction either, the thought of hoisting up a partner to a higher obstacle to gain access to a new area excites me.

It's great to hear that we'll be able to customise shoes, hats, pants and torso separately, its definitely a great step towards being personally distinguished. I just hope that there's a fair amount of options, and the character customisation is detailed enough. As in choosing hair, face and skin tone (Or even just face and hair) separately. Basic, but efficient and gets the job done. Is there any word on how character creation will play out, or is that still under development?

You read my mind!!.. Imagine you're wearing all black, a balaclava and soft soled shoes. You've heard a sniper firing in Cherno and have pin pointed his location to the roof of a tall building. The roof is to high to use your grappling hook so you have to climb up several lower structures to enable you to reach the sniper's roof. You make it and find him completely immersed in sniping, he's not being cautious as there are no stairs or ladders up, it's only him and a now visible chopper. You unsheathe your katana and silently approach, he would never know how he died and lost everything and maybe never will...

Thanks for the update!

My reaction to using VAC:

Seriously, VAC is the shittiest anti-cheat ever and only works in Valve games (barely)! Why aren't you using BattlEye?! FFS

Edited by TSAndrey
  • Like 3

About Valve and VAC, Does this mean all the hackers can potentially get their account closed for hacking and loose a shit ton of games? Because that would be awsome!

• Like 2

About Valve and VAC, Does this mean all the hackers can potentially get their account closed for hacking and loose a shit ton of games? Because that would be awsome!

VAC neither gets your account closed nor makes you lose steam games. It simply prevents you from joining multiplayer servers, and only VAC-secured ones.

Great to see you so open about the development schedule and the release window, much better to be honest and let the community know what is happening, than promise us something and not deliver (Not pointing any fingers), awesome work Rocket.

Great to hear an update!

I'm so stoked on this release. The update itself was kinda bittersweet for me, because Dean actually says there's a chance we may not see it before the year end, which definitely makes me sad panda :(

However, the fact that they're willing to put so much work into it still stokes me out.

tldr; stoked.

I remember what rocket said once. Something like "This game won't be on Steam".

Well, now Steam suddenly appears to be obligatory - I smell hypocrisy.

btw I won't buy it if steam is obligatory. It just doesn't make any sense to me to have a program whose features I absolutely don't need in order to run a completely different program with no relation what so ever to it.

Edited by EpeeNoire
  • Like 2

Source? I've only ever seen Rocket talk about how he loves steam.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 12

btw I won't buy it if steam is obligatory. It just doesn't make any sense to me to have a program whose features I absolutely don't need in order to run a completely different program with no relation what so ever to it.

Many games have obligatory Steam-use... Why not use it, it is generally really useful. And he did state his reasons, like easy patching, server clients and so on...

There is no reason not to use it.

• Like 3

Great to hear an update!

I'm so stoked on this release. The update itself was kinda bittersweet for me, because Dean actually says there's a chance we may not see it before the year end, which definitely makes me sad panda :(

However, the fact that they're willing to put so much work into it still stokes me out.

tldr; stoked.

Don't worry dude. The delay means less glitches and less bugs and guarantees 100% fun to come along with it.

• Like 1

You don't really need to run steam to play the games that you download from it, you can make shortcuts to the games and run them without even starting steam.

The reason some people choose to run games straight from the steam application is: comfort, much easier to choose the game you want to play from one list than to either, have a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop, or browsing trough every folder of the games that you have installed.

On a side note, to DayZ dev team, if you guys need testers for the game before release, I'm willing to pitch in and help as much as i can :D (obvious pretext to get the game before launch date haha )

• Like 1

we will not miss you )

back to the topic: hope the game will be released on 21. Dec. :D

hope the game will be released on 21. Dec. :D

I hope not! I'm busy that day :(

Source? I've only ever seen Rocket talk about how he loves steam.

I just remember him saying that Steam won't work just because of its character of patching (but they changed that, as rocket stated in the blog post). I am too lazy to put much effort into something like searching for a source right now.

we will not miss you )

Well, I will certainly not miss an ignorat f like you, that's for sure.

On topic: I just feel a little cheated, that's all. Until now I was quite loyal to the whole Day Z project, I had lots of fun with the mod already. But Steam is just abandoning all of that at once

Edited by EpeeNoire
  • Like 1

we will not miss you )

The thing you're saying is completely rude, not saying you'll miss someone isn't the best thing to say as it usually makes people either sad or a bit frustrated. People can have their own opinions about some programs, I simply love Steam but I know people that don't like programs such as Steam and Origin.

On topic, This article sure sounds intresting, tons of info about stuff I was thinking about.

Edited by voddler
  • Like 5

Rocket, you said you would try to answer some questions but mainly people seem to be paying compliments, which is great considering the amount of hard work you and the team have put in. I do have a couple of questions. I'm a novice when it comes to software and to computers in general. So change tends to scare me a little.

Are you able to reassure the worriers like me about a couple of points please?

- I think you mentioned a re-think of the controls. Like most players, I've not been involved in testing the standalone, do you feel they are at least as intuitive as the current mod's controls, if not better?

- Also, you began by explaining that most settings would be forced server side. Like many, I don't have the option of a good standard of broadband. How wil those settings being forced server side impact on latency/ping/and the experience of those of us who have mediocre broadband? I don't mean in detail but in very simple, basic terms?

Thanks

Edited by Sula
  • Like 3

Nice update ... but I'm little sad about:

"While the graphics may look the same (for now)" ... I was hoping for improved effects,lights ... graphics in general. Hopefully after the release will get some of those updated.

Thanks for the update and loving the extra customization options on weapons and clothing (will make it easier to recognise team mates etc)

Loving the fact that its going to be more of an MMO style game (rather than FPS) but i hope you dont loose anything from the current feel of the FPS side of things cause as it stands in the current mod is excellent.

Keep up the good work everyone involved :)

I hope that something like this will be in:

• Like 8

Rocket has to release the Standalone at december... or he will destroy my Christmas.. planned to Gift the standalone to my 2 Little Brothers...

If it doesnt come i will stand there without any present ^-^

Rocket do you really want to ruin christmas for 2 young boys :P

Back to main Topic love to see new Clothing splits, that what was i wished to see in the standalone.

• Like 5