Sign in to follow this  
KillSkuli

Dear Rocket, This is a GAME

I didn't find the part where he referred to pooping.

Pretty sure he meant to link to the Eurogamer presentation, you can find it in the information section of the forums. About 15mins in.

Edited by smasht_AU

^ correct, my apologies

around the 15min mark

same same but different..

If 3rd person is taken out.... I wont be playing simple as that!!! I hate first person. This is a sim/MMO, i need 3rd person

If 3rd person is taken out.... I wont be playing simple as that!!! I hate first person. This is a sim/MMO, i need 3rd person

Third person isn't being taken out?

Q: Rocket, do you plan on removing the option of third person view when you make it over to the standalone game? [Corvax]

A: I think it would be unlikely, I think having it at a server level is a good idea. Possibly we could come up with several agreed levels of difficulty that servers can run on, and then your character is limited to playing on servers of those difficulty levels. If you join another server with a different difficulty with your character you will need to make a new character, etc...

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 4

Poop. What??

Anyway, who cares? There'll be different servers with different rules and settings.

So we will have Pooping Servers?

As for pooping itself, i think Rocket is using the idea that visiting cities will give a greater chance of catching Cholera or dysentry due to dead bodies etc. I dont actually think he is contemplating getting a motion capture for the act of shitting.

• Like 2

One thing i know for sure is that everybody will be shocked, and i am sure Rocket is doing the right thing.

It will be a surviving game...........

Nowadays this game is just a variant of any PvP game, most would be better off just play some amazing Arma DM.

specially because some servers are now giving gear for donations to the server, so new spawns have all there gear and the PvP can start straight away :( (BAD THING)

Even when i would donate, i don't want any starter gear, i still like the concept of the game and i still have lots of fun finding my stuff.

Edited by Allie

There will be pooping and I will be using it as a weapon. DayZ is a hyper-realistic zombie surviva game, the likes of which have never been seen before. So saying it is not needed because it is "too reaslistic" is contradiciting the whole point of hyper-realism. He's going where no game developers have gone and I myself am looking forward to it.

I love the fact DayZ lets you use "hyper-realism" and "zombie survival" in the one sentence :D. Seriously I do, I hope the realism is as real as possible, pooping, peeing, sickness, the whole lot :D (just as long as they fix the zombies jumping through walls).

But the Sims has pooping. :P

It actually doesn't and that's always annoyed me.

Third person isn't being taken out?

(paraphrased)

Q: 1st person only? [Corvax]

A: Pfffft, naw. [rocket]

But the Sims has pooping. :P
It actually doesn't and that's always annoyed me.
"Mercenary" servers would only be able to show a tightly clenched fist (with a "shaky" cam maybe? :D). Without a "dropping a log" animation, they will likely stay as empty as they've always been.

The people have spoken. The masses want to take a dump in a computer game. :thumbsup:

Just so long as they wash their hands afterwards. I don't want anyone else's nasties on my newly prised-from-your-dead-fingers AK.

How could anyone be against pooping?

Hey look theres some tents! Quick lets loot them and drop a stinky load in one to let the owner know we've been here! HUZZAH!

Sorry, but thats just an opportunity I will never be able to pass up.

It's not an MMO. 20-50 people on the same server is not massive.

And like you said, it's a simulator. You don't see from behind your back in real life.

So even if Rocket DID remove third person, it would be justified. (But it's not being taken out.)

I had the same response when "pooping" was first proposed.

But the more I looked at it, and the more some other elements started to develop, the more it became an interesting concept.

Fear is an unusual thing, and many games go for the obvious scary things. Some people have said DayZ is very scary indeed, yet it contains very little gore or obvious scare factors. Movies about viruses like influenza are rarely very scary because it is all happening to other people. In DayZ, when you start getting sick - it could be a very scary situation. You worry what you have, you worry what other party members will do to you, and you worry what random people you meet will do to you. It also presents a very real problem when looting a body, adding a new risk/reward dynamic to everything.

It is still a *very* junior concept. Pooping allows contamination to be controlled, to an extent, by the player. We could probably do contamination on the basis of time spent in an area, which would really just be an aggregation of the effect of manual defecation area selection. But make no mistake, going to the toilet is a serious combat issue. When I did my time in the jungle, Baby Wipes was probably one of the most coveted items we had, because of its use wiping your backside. You don't quite appreciate the difficulty in staying alive beyond a couple of days until you realize everyone is shitting everywhere and disease/contamination of waterways is becoming a very real issue.

• Like 6

Ok, if pooping actually does become part of the game, will there be anything left behind? And if so, how long would it remain there?

I would be pretty shocked if I entered a building in a high traffic area only to find the rooms full of shit from all the players before me.

I mean having to poop really? They have to remember its a game

be glad you don't have to smell it

i mean...

immersion has its limits...

...right?

Edited by Azrail

Another thought: we can all go poop in notorious snipers spots and force them to lay in it if they want to sit there and wait for survivors. :)

• Like 3

Another thought: we can all go poop in notorious snipers spots and force them to lay in it if they want to sit there and wait for survivors. :)

What used to be called sniper hill, is now better known as slippery hill.

What used to be called sniper hill, is now better known as slippery hill.

Those flies aren't from a dead body ;)

• Like 1

i welcome anything that will force me to think, the more choices and decision trees the better.