@The Algerian

*snufs* such a touching and well written tale of bravery..

Put a tear to my eye..

This is my second story of a jaded traveller, struggling with the morality of taking another mans life as well as trying to keep my own.

After a long morning of scrabbling around in the dirt of Kamenka trying find enough supplies to sustain me, an idea flashes across my mind. I have pretty much nothing to lose, sure I have a shotgun and a makarov, a few tins of food and couple soda cans, but I need more, I need a bigger prize. I immediately set my eyes on Stary Sobor, the military camp to be exact and the bounty of hardware that I might find there.

I plot my course, planning to visit military outposts along the way in the hopes I might find a few more tools to help keep me alive. The first few I pass by hold nothing more than a few smoke greandes and empty cans with the odd makarov mag thrown in for luck. I grow frustrated, unhappy with my luck, 'typical' I think to myself. Gunshots ring out nearby, an enfield I believe, they're not aiming at me i'm pretty sure so I move on cautiously into Pavlovo. I scavange around, looking for bandages as I appear to be running short, I hear a scream of agony, followed quickly by another, there's a survivor here in trouble. Deciding to throw caution to the window I head over to the screams, I spot something truly gruesome, one of the walking dead is feasting upon a live victim. I dispatch of the zombie quickly with my makarov, it falls dead and the air falls silent, I quickly walk over to the man lying unconscious.. but I am too late. His life ebbs away in front of me and I whisper a prayer for his salvation.. before promptly taking his bandages.. hey, god wanted me to have these, clearly.

Moving further north I hit the Zelenogorsk supermarket, I find a compass and a box of matches, getting to Stary is going to be a lot easier now. I quickly leave and head into the wilderness, hitting a few more outposts along the way, I pick up an MP5A5 with two clips and accept this is about as good as i'll be able to manage for my trip. I move on once more and spy Stary in the distance, using my knowledge of the area I decide I need to approach from the northern hill, if I find any snipers i'm going to abandon my search. I reach the hill, I make my way down slowly, the military camp itself looks empty, no corpses and no one searching the tents. I refuse to let my guard down however, knowing that Stary is dangerous. Cautiously I begin my approach, there are no zombies, no corpses as previously noticed and no noises to suggest i'm not alone. Systematically I move between the tents, my heart is pounding, I just can't shake this feeling that i'm being watched.

I reach my fifth or sixth tent and find my prize, an M4A3 CCO, I swap out the MP5 and quickly get accustomed to my new tech. I find another mag for the weapon in my next tent as well as a frag grenade, my confidence grows, even if I do find myself under fire I should be able to defend myself. I hit the next tent, not a lot here, another MP5, I smile and shrug 'I hope this helps someone else out' i remark to myself. I head for the exit, I don't know why but I'm at ease, there's just two more tents to search and then I can retreat to a safe place. I step outside and turn to my right, moving slowly towards the next tent I quickly scan the area, this decision saved my life.

I spot a sniper in the trees to my left, he's aiming right at me and pulls the trigger knowing that i've seen him. In his panic to kill me he misses, shooting a few feet in front of me, i'm faced with the biggest decision of the day, fight or flight. Flight shouts loudest and i begin to run east out of the camp, unwilling to let me escape the sniper takes aim repeatedly, the huge blasts from his rifle continuously echo out around me, he's quick too, must be a DMR. I hear the bullets hitting the ground all around me, he's firing so fast that it's almost like there are two snipers aiming at me. Two bullets and two bangs go off within a split second of each other, there ARE two snipers trying to end me, this isn't good.

I make it to the road heading east and cross it aiming for the trees that line the road, I reach what appears to be safety and the shots cease. I take a deep breath and face up to another decision, log out and hope it's safer later, continue running, or use my binoculars, find them and go after them. I can't explain why I made this decision, but I felt brave, adrenaline must have been coursing through my veins, I decided I was going for it. For the record, I don't like killing other players usually, unless they leave me no choice, I had a choice here however and damned if I was gonna let these people bully me out of Stary. I look through the binoculars from underneath a shrub, I scan around and spot one of my foes running to the west, he's going for the camp, a good opportunity i feel. The second sniper evades my gaze, I just can't find him but I risk it anyway and head north, flanking around, i'm going to take the position the first sniper was in and use it against him.

I run for 2-3 minutes and find cover, I move more slowly, more deliberately and reach my destination, I have the perfect overlook for the tents and can see the tent that I was in perfectly before I was shot. I spot someone in the camp, moving from tent to tent, behind him i spot a blurry shape, a second player in this game of cat and mouse. My suspicions confirmed about the two snipers, I wait for one of them to enter the fateful tent that nearly became my grave. The survivor named Nik enters the tent, greedily eyeing the prizes that I had almost claimed as my own, his back is turned towards me. I grin to myself and aim my new gun, 'time for a test drive'. I pull the trigger, and hit my target, I shoot again with the same results, he doesn't move, frozen in terror or afk I assume. I move to pull the trigger again but he vanishes. Clearly ashamed and embarrassed that the man they had let escape from the camp had come back for revenge, they took the cowards way out. I waited for his friend to come out of the tent opposite that I didn't have a good view on but he had left too. I checked the player list for the server and I confirmed it, the two brave bandits that had chased me from the tents had urinated inside their pants and left the loot to me. I laughed to myself and finished what I came here to do before taking my leave.

I peer trough the scope on my dirty AKS-74. Nothing but forest. I lower the powerfull rifle to swipe the dirt of with the sleave of my woodland camo vest. My earpieace crackles. 'You should see me about now.' My eye ligns up with the scope again. A figure appears exactly where the red dot meets the treeline. Obviously a criminal. Heavy armored. Hastily the bandit makes a B-line over the green grass. I speak. 'I see you. Turn to your left and up abit, on the rock right here." 'Got you' El P. replied.

The man in a green grass sniper outfit came at him, hardly distinguishable from the bushes he ran past.'Ok, let's go. The big metal shed over there.'

'What is this place, can't read the name on my map, it's all smudged.' El P. asked. Coverd by bushes they headed towards the city, hoping for plunder in the old metal shack.

'Stary Soborsk or somthing like that. Medium sized town'.

They both froze in their racks when the gunshots went off about 300 meters north of them, near the building they were heading at.

'You go in downstairs, i'm gonna take that ladder and crawl up on the roof.' I let El P. know. 'Roger'

'Ok i'm in position on the roof, go in.'

'Roger, going in. Seems clear.'

While my bro searches for usuable stuff i check out the surrounding town. Where did those shots came from. It was not far... I fear being targeted standing so still so i move around a bit.

While El P. is downstairs he is talking in my ear about what he finds. ' Some empty cans, alright! Coca Cola, uhm... some .45 ammo.'

I'm not listening anymore, my scope is switching rapidly from target to target as i see 3 guys approach,spread out over half a street. Obviously ready to defend themselfs. Or attack. I calm my breathing, take postition on the edge of the building's roof and target the first one. 'He is crawling between a shed and a barn, hoping to flank us from the left.'

I whisper to El P. 'We got company, 3 guys, heavy weapons, I think i can take two by suprise, but i need you outside right fucking now to distract them. First on is the noth side, about 40m's from the building, crawling.'

El P. leaves the loot and exit's out the door on the north side. 'I see him'

I respond in doubt. 'I can take him but the others will dissapear in cover when they hear it.'

El P. hesitates. 'You think they friendly?'

I get angry.'Remember what happend to Stewie man? He fucking died trusting somebody. He fucking gave the guy the gun he was shot with. I remember that asshole's smile untill the day i die, aswell as his look when you split his head with that hatchet.' My eyes become moist.

I blink, line up the shot with the guy crawling towards the building. His mates now getting close to the same side of the building. 'I'm taking him the fuck out'. I pull the trigger. His head explodes.

The shot rings across the town. I immidiatly target one of the others. He's running for cover. I fire and miss. I fear I will lose him in a second. I hear another shot close by and my target drops dead. El P. never let's one get away.

'Where's the third one?'

'Don't know'

'I see movement in the shed, south side, about 15 meters from the building.'

'My sight races to the location, i see a shoulder moving by the window."

'Confirmed, he's in there'

Our shots have attracted zombies. El P. has to retreat into the building to reload and take on the zombie wave. I am secure in the height of my position. He curses.

I keep looking at the shed. Zombies are at the door, banging against the wood. Howling. Downstairs i hear my bro emptying his M1911 into half a dozen zombies. 'It's taken care off. I'm going to trow a frag grenade at the door, maybe it'll kill him, either way he'll shit his pants.

I see the grenade fly. Shortly after the zombies at the door vaporize in a deafening explosion. We're lucky, seems we didn't attract more zedheads. I don't know if my target is dead.

The door opens. I yell at El P. He rushes forward, exitting our building.

For a second my target appears in the doorway, i fire and miss, he backs up and fires something explosive out the door, at my building. The ground shakes as the grenade hits the wall beneath me. The air is hit out of my lungs. 'Holy shit El P. dude's got heavy weapons on him! Return fire!'

El P., also hit back from the explosion circles around the back of the building the target is in, hoping to catch him by suprise. Before he get's there i see his leg in the doorway and fire two rounds into his legs. Some new zombies aproach and we take care of it. Curious what out loot can be from these well equiped guys I make my way downstairs.

Before me or El P. get to the corpses we recieve a message. "SESSION LOST." The server crashed or we were kicked, all i know is that the three guys we killed were from the clan that owned the server. Weak weak weak. You were 3, with heavy, maybe even hacked weapons, and we were two. You were ambushed fair and square.

these stories are awesome. I should have posted my story here instead of the bandit forum. (see link in my signature) I'll go ahead and copy paste it here so I can be part of this awesome thread:

I thought I was a nice person.

Turns out I'm an axe murderer?

I understand myself more now - turns out the only thing needed to push me over the edge of becoming an axe wielding maniac is the fear of imminent starvation.

Here's the story:

So, I'm a couple hours into this character. I've been pretty lucky, I've got good medical supplies, some sodas, an upgraded bag, some army camo, and an axe.

One thing I don't have? Food. I've looted almost the entire factory sector of cherno by this point, and have yet to find a single can of beans. I'm starting to get hungry.

I get so desperate for food that I'm at the point where I decide to just take advantage of my axe's unlimited ammo, and literally RUN throughout cherno looking for beans, hacking through any zombies in my way. Stupid, I know, but it was really late IRL and I was getting desperate for beans or a hunting knife.

After 20 minutes of this, no luck. Then I round a corner and see another player, unarmed.

I didn't even hesitate. I just ran straight to him and hacked him to death without even thinking about it.

It wasn't until after I did it that I realized really what I'd done. That was a totally cold blooded murder. He didn't have any weapons, or any food, so it was all for nothing.

A minute or so later, I enter an apartment building. I hear footsteps, but I'm not sure where they're coming from, and don't hear a response to my direct comms. Then I turn around to go back up the stairs and right behind me was another survivor.

He scared the crap out of me, and I just started hacking him with my axe while apoligizing and letting him know how scary he was over direct chat. Another murder. What have I become? Moments later another surivor heads down the stairwell, this one armed with a pistol. "Oh god. He's going to see that I killed this guy who is probably his friend. He'll want revenge... I have to kill him first." So, again, with no hesitation, I start hacking at him, apologizing copiously over direct chat all the while.

After my first murder, I had committed two more murders within the next 5 minutes. I felt like a horrible person. Is this what it's like to become a bandit? Am I a bandit now?

Is this what I'd act like in a real apocalypse situation?

The thing is, that third guy I killed? The one with the pistol?

He had beans.

Was the price worth it? I don't know.

But I survived.

I've got the experience recorded here:

• Like 1

Just saw this after making another thread. Oh well. >.<

I will just copy below what I had posted in case it gets moved or something.

Hello everyone!

I have been fortunate to play with a couple of friends in DayZ and have been tracking our progress, sharing our experiences for both amusement and to assist other players.

I invite you to read my latest article on my blog: Spam’s New Gun – Facing Death in Novy Sobor. This is a continuation of the adventure we experienced in going up to the Northwest airfield for the first time. ( A Cautionary Tale About Virtual Bromance and Razor Wire ).

I hope you enjoy it and that our experiences help give you ideas of how to survive and explore in the world of DayZ.

Stay alive out there!

Dawn breaks, illuminating the coastline.

"Where...am I?"

I scan my surroundings, and begin my journey east, towards some forgotten town, it's former inhabitants shuffling, crawling, hopping aimlessly through it's long-dead streets, decay and rot dripping from their mouths, falling onto a road that has seen all the cars and commerce it ever will.

I break right, hugging the shoreline, the cool sand not helping dry my wet boots. Christ, I hope I don't get trenchfoot. I slow my pace around 100m away from a large warehouse building, and I drop completely at 50m. I spot two walkers making their way north of me, and as my window of opportunity opens, I feel courage's breeze urge me forward, in a desperate crawl for the doorway.

Once inside, I raise myself to a crouched position. Rubble occupies most of what looked like an indoor loading bay, obscuring my view of the west side of town. Scanning the rest of the room, I spot a ladder leading up to the first of 2 catwalks above my head. I climb quickly, and a sinking feeling in my loins begins to gnaw at me.

I hurry around the building, dismayed. From a distance, as a mirage, I see things that I desperately need, only to find them come into focus as empty tin cans, not a scrap of edible material to give to my growling gut. I take them anyway, and a thought tickles the back of my head:

'This is the Future.' I consider myself, the immediate danger pushed from the forefront of my thoughts for a brief interval, while I take the cans in a desperate gamble to distract the harbingers of my fate. 'It's only a matter of time'.

I make my way back down the ladder, and carefully poke my head out of the doorway. Clear, for now. I check behind me,

'Shit.'

Some other sorry sod, keeping low to the grass, is making his way towards me, and quickly. I considered calling out to him, but I choose to make a swift, and quiet getaway. He's not the only one nearby who wants to kill me.

I swing north into the village, avoiding the horrors lurking within. I pass like a phantom behind houses, peeking into the door frames, desperately searching for food, and water. Finding nothing, I continue in an easterly direction, keeping between the coast and a highway running parallel. Another town is on the horizon, and I start heading for it.

A sign reads, 'Balota'. My head sees 'Hope'.

Some time ago, I made a pact with a friend. Should the impossible happen, should society collapse and we are left as little more than beasts on this earth, it is at the hangars north of Balota that we would meet.

'I hope he's not dead.'

I make my way towards the town for a time, and seemingly out of nowhere, I've got one right on top of me. I drop, but the unholy bastard had seen me. I get up, and start my sprint towards Athens. I speed through the town, frantically checking doorways, sheds, and anywhere I felt may have some semblance of respite; but there was nothing. Chancing a glance over my shoulder behind me, I've got a whole congregation in hot pursuit.

There, just over the horizon are the hangars. With stealth out, I beeline towards them, likely looking the fool as 2 dozen husks trail me, their hunger palpable to the point where bile rises in my gullet. Puking would only dehydrate myself now. I mustn't puke.

The hangars, now in full view, seem empty. My heart, already racing from the effort, stings now with hopelessness. 'So this is the end, after all', I think.

Suddenly, from behind the ATC Tower, I see him! He's breaking right, putting him in line to intercept the forgotten souls, giving me precious seconds to gain a lead on them. I make for the hangars, speedily checking them for food, water, or weapons. I find nothing but ammunition for some outdated rifle. I pick it up on a runby, and I hear my comrade call out, "Make for the hills!"

I run to the fence, diving onto the ground and rolling underneath while he brings them round the far side of the fence. Sprinting 20m apart, we go north, towards the hills. Dirt and pebbles spilling down as we climb, the terrors behind us lag behind, and by the time we reach the top, we have lost them....

@The Algerian

*snufs* such a touching and well written tale of bravery..

Put a tear to my eye..

Thanks a lot, I tried my best to recapture those moments in my text despite english not being my primary language :)

(I also loved your story I read somewhere else on the forum with the guy approaching you from behind)

I shall cut this story much shorter than most. When being chased by approximately 25 zeds, DO NOT take cover in a supermarket, no matter how much lee enfield and G17 ammo and weaponry you have, they always seem to find all exits and stand in front of them...

So ive been playing DayZ 6weeks or so, ive gotten to know a few places and my way around (roughly).

I play with 5/6 IRL friends, sometimes i meat friendly people sometimes i dont.

Cut the story to last nite. I was on a server, about to head south to rescue my friends. Somehow i get the brainwave idea of leaving all my valuable stuff in my tent so if i die going south its not so bad.

I put Everything in my tent. lol. 24slot coyotee, M4 CCO with about 8clips, Binocs, GPS, Nightvision. The only i leave on me is 1911, gillie suit, compass abit of food, and ammo, bandage, morphine etc.

Just as im doing this im talking my mate through the six updater and getting that configured, id alt tabbed out of game to help explain stuff to him, then thought i better save the tent just incase anything happens. Come back to game just about to click save and then No message Received for 10seconds etc etc. Server restart before i saved it. Server comes back up all my gear gone The 3rd pair of NVG ive lost, neither times ive died with it on me :)

Cut the prelude short i ended up lookin for a new pack being careless and dieing in my gillie and just a pistol to loads of zombies, they got a lucky shot on me knocked me down rest history.

Start again and cut the story short, i manage to get myself some more NVG, 24slot coyote, GPS, MK48 scope (the 100rnd belt fed rifle) which was quite nice. So around 17:00 UK time im heading back to our camp after just finding a red larda (why do i always find these cars im asking to myself never seen or managed to get others).

After making way back there and talking abit i head to the coast, and randomly spot a small speedboat. We take that for a spin wow its fast then spot another boat so my friend jumps out to take that aswell except its stuck slightly so im ramming it gently with the other boat to push it from being grounded - during that process im shot 50ft into the air in the boat do a tripple back flip and land on the beach! Atleast im still alive lol...

Then my friend is in the other boat just off the coast wasnt v far out i end up having to swim for 2seconds and bam ALL my gear gone again including NVG and everything else :) 4th pair...

SO friend goes to work a few more login, in this time ive managed to get an alice pack and few bits.. we take a slowly boat trip down the coast in the fishing boat but its running out of fuel so we pull it over rather than get stuck at sea. Few yards down the road we spot a BUS just randomly left there.

Its almost no fuel, we get .5 km down the road it runs out. So we head into town grab some repair parts kill 20/30 zombies grab a few jerry cans head back to the bus put what fuel we have init and bring the bus to the petrol tank to fill it right up.

Then the fun starts. We decide to go looking for another speed boat cos it was fun. So we carry on going no sign of anything and end up going on a magical mystery tour in the bus. Driving throught middle of Elektro and Cherno blow the horn people shooting at us and zombies chasing us was alot of fun. Then as we get off the south coast and go thru a few towns we come accross a 4x4 off road just in the road full green and half tank of fuel. I jump in and we carry on with the bus aswell.

A few yards down the road my friend crashes the bus and damages the wheel, we decide to abandon it and just carry on with the 4x4. Such a nice car to drive its been a few weeks before we found one of these :D

We end up coming past a downed heli that was still smoking, obviously hadnt been there long. We both get out and start to lay waste to the Zeds. Alot more spawn and we end up killing about 20+ but my friend was bleeding i bandage him as he still shooting them. He ends up getting knocked down, i run out of ammo in both pistol and gun zombies chewing him theres about 5 left. I drag him away from the zombies, jump in the 4x4 and run them over! lol - The heli had a PP 99 is it ? the silcend machine gun, anyway its nice :D

We carry on, as we come thru a town theres zombies running about, we pass a barn without about 10zombies outside i didnt notice till we almost past but there was a guy outside shooting the zombies in camo gear i almost ran him over must of missed him by about 5yards.. tho it wasnt intentional, id of ran him over if id seen him sooner lol. He starts firing shots at us but i keep the pedal down. 500 yards down the road we spot another white car, my friend jumps out jumps init and we burn off laughing to each other we musta just stole that guys car :D

further away and at a safe distance almost back at our camp we pull over and think hey i wonder what he had in the car. Open up the trunk and theres an AS50 with about 5mags, FNL AK74 bloodbags and lots of other nice stuff.

Make it back to camp with both cars after stopping for fuel and stash them. - Probably wont stay safe for long, but it was a very fun evening full of events and laughs all the way.

Through the lows and the highs theres nothing like DayZ out there and i hope this game never changes too much. Its almost perfect apart from the bugs with stuff disapearing and other minor things. But ive had more fun playing DayZ than i have for along time and ive been a PC Gamer since Quake back in 1990's .

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed my story of tonights events

• Like 1

A few days back after a few savage deaths I spawned up near Solnichiy and within 30sec spot a single survivor and figure this is my chance to get some stuff straight off, heck I've been spawn killed so many times figure all honour is out the window.

I get the drop on him and hit him with a few Mac rounds, he goes prone tries to work out where I am. I fire off another mag and hit him a few more times so he bolts for the forest.

I run after him and in the forest he turns and we have a shoot out, I quickly run out of ammo and then resign myself to dying and stand up to face my reward for such cowardly tactics. When I realise that he has as well. We both start bandaging up right infront of each other, click our empty macs at each other a few more times, then I salute and we go our separate ways...

• Like 1

So there I was driving my newly found bus at Green Mountain, as me and my friend play together he was busy so i figured I'd explore. As i leave one of the main paths leading to Green Mountain I see a familiar and also very exciting sight! That would of course be a crashed heli:) As I crawl my way to the helicopter I do not see any smoke presuming that its broke and hasn't spawned anything i start searching with not so high expectations. After finding a FN FAL with two mags I proudly hop back into my bus further driving down the road and into a tree causing me to disconnect in anger to take a break. When I decide to log back in I realized I had forgot o exit the bus before I disconnected. I spawn halfway in the bus and half way out, after a few seconds my screen turns grey and the infamous "You Are Dead" screen appears.

After getting my self back together I decide to give it another go around. Spawning in Electro I run into an armed player, luckily for me the nice guy very polity asked me to stay away, so respecting the fact he didn't KOS I listened and resumed to the power plant where i found my unarmed self getting sniped:/.Spawning this time in Cherno I decided to test my luck and hit up every main building in hopes of finding some good loot before I head further North. First trying the market I find nothing but tins, Next the church... nothing but tins. Last I run to the firestation where I find a Ak74 with 2 mags! After looting the apartments, and all the other buildings I decided to make a quick trip to Balota. As I camp it out waiting for some action I see a poor freshly spawned noob run into the ATC tower. As I sit and observe I hear what sounded like me as a silenced weapon going off. As I stare at the poor noobs body I see a man in a Ghille run up and loot the body. Hitting my "x" key I slowly draw my AK up and sight in on the killer. Unloading a full mag into him ( Didn't aggro a single zombie:]). I decided to see what my bandit I killed had to offer me. Opening the gear menu I find a silenced M4, M9, coyote, 6 M9SD Mags, 6 Stanag SD, Nvg's, GPS and alot of medical and food supplies. What I don't understand is why would a well loaded out guy like the one I Killed was doing at balota where more than half the population has flashlights, not weapons. Maybe he was zeroing his gun? Maybe he was just a jackass? Alls I know is he is spawning with nothing while i run adn hide in the woods!:)

Occasionally, very occasionally, I am a nice person.

Or rather, used to be.

Was up near Stary Sobor staking the place out with bino's.

Suddenly, the Z's in the entire town went apeshit, and manic gunfire erupted. I watched two guys trying to make a fighting retreat to the treeline, one went down, the other clearly ran out of ammo for his AK as he switched to his mak.

Let the following be a lesson for anyone who ever even contemplates being nice in this game.

I'd had a good day, so against my better judgement, I ran in, guns blazing. Ran to his side, started a creeping advance, double tapping the charging Z's as they came. Used up most of my AK ammo wiping out the remaining Z's and retreated with the survivor to the treeline.

We won, we'd taken them all out, the field was literally full of zombie corpses. It was probably the most satisfying thing I'd ever done in DayZ.

I said hi, bandaged him, gave him a blood transfusion...

It takes a special kind of c**t to empty a magazine into your face after you do all that for him. I generally have a pretty low estimation of the denizens of the internet, but, seriously, a SPECIAL KIND OF C**T.

If we ever cross paths in the wilderness, or at a stand, or in a town, and you genuinely don't wish me harm;

I'm sorry, but blame the special kind of c**t who made me this way.

one of the most annoying moments of my time in dayz:

me and two of my friends spent our time moving towards the airfield when we came across a tent, i took a peak inside and found an m16a4 with an acog sight, i immediately took it and continued onward. we began hitting multiple deer stands when we saw a couple survivors creeping across a field, i had a shot on him and decided not to kill them and let them past, unfortunately they came right for us, i was blind sided and killed but my friends managed to mow the other two down, i respawned about 40 or so minutes away from my friends, i followed some power lines for about 20 mins before a zombie saw me... and followed me from zelenogorsk to stary sobor magically teleporting to me even after id lost him in the forest... eventually he got a lucky hit and i began bleeding, i made the tough call to log out due though i didnt like it, however when i came back the zombie was gone and i was unconscious, it was a race to see whether i could get up before my blood ran out, i managed to get back up only to fall unconscious right away again, then i bled to death, because of this turn of events we have decided that if we see anyone coming towards us, we shoot first, it was a hard decision but we've had too many bad encounters so if we find you... you're probably not going to alive for long.

also zombies are still kind of hard to evade although they are supposed to be relentless, all i can say is the one that chased me deserves a medal for relentlessness :P

I try to be a nice guy in Chenarus. Mostly I avoid the other survivors or if I encounter one we occasionally have some brief banter and trades before going our separate ways. Or they shoot me. After I had the drop on them and we stared at each other for a minute and I saluted "friendly!", butt-hole. I've only shot one other survivor in the 3 weeks or so I've been playing and I felt fairly bad about it. I had found my way to the tower at green mountain the night before and decided that the big light house was a good place for my guy to rest while I called it a night. Next day my character awakes and I walk out on to the balcony to take in the view and contemplate my next move. I noticed a few zombies below becoming agitated and they looked to be running off to find their next meal. Suddenly I hear bullets ricocheting of my tower and I drop and scramble back inside and pull overwatch on the ladder. I drop my smoke grenade down hoping to draw a screen of zombies, but I doesn't seem to work inside. Soon I see 2 guys climbing the ladder towards me, as far as I know they are the ones who shot at me earlier so I let the lead one have it at the top of the ladder. His buddy went back down and protested that they were innocent. He agreed not to shoot at me if he could come up and get his buddy's stuff. I had no problem with that I felt kinda bad but still didn't trust him. So when he started up I went out to the balcony and logged out. Yeah I know kinda lame but I felt bad and didn't want to shoot the other guy which wold have been the only safe option. Karma caught up with me for the disconnect the next day when the first shooting incident I mentioned before happened.

But not every player is bad I learned yesterday. I found myself in Zub Castle with a broken leg after a little careless exploring. There were no medical supplies in sight and it was no fun anyway crawling around so I took to the side chat to ask for help knowing full well what would likely happen. Some enterprising survivor named Squashed something or other volunteered his help and I waited tensely for his arrival. After a surprisingly short time

he reported "I'm here". I waited tensely on the second floor and eventually started moving to the stairs. A gillie suited head popped up and disappeared. "Here we go," I thought and stood up and saluted my friendliness. Miracle of miracles he was for real friendly and and had not only brought morphine but blood too! I gratefully traded my canned food for his help and we set off on our separate directions. And none too soon! Heading down hill at a 500m-700m from the castle I heard a fusillade of gunshots behind me! I looked back and didn't see anyone, and as the shots continued I determined they weren't aimed at me yet and so sprinted off as fast as I could! I'm fairly sure I didn't hear the AK that I saw Squashedsomething carrying and I sincerely hope it was bandits encountering their own kind!

I'm slightly new to this game but a veteran of ARMA so bear with me.

Shoot or run...shoot or run...

I was walking along, minding my own business, staying the wonderful Zed-free forests when I saw a small shack by the road. Around it was a little hopper and a shambling Zed. Okay, I thought, 2 of them. I can take 2. I raised my Makarov and took aim, dropping the hopper in one shot. The shambler heard me and started sprinting in that manic zig-zag pattern that they like to use. I fired off two bullets, missed, and managed to hit his leg with a third. He fell to the ground and started crawling. I executed him with another bullet. Right as I was walking to the shack, I saw a runner stumble out of it. His pale white eyes met mine and he let loose a scream, charging at me. I stood, raised my weapon, and dropped him with one bullet to the head. Finally. I checked the shack and found a Coke can but that was it. A whole mag for a Coke can?! As I was cursing my luck, I felt this searing gash in my leg and dropped to the ground. A hopper had heard me and snuck up while I wasn't paying attention. I fired, got up, bandaged myself, and ran into the forest. That was the last time I ever tried to fight those things.

After a long walk in the forest, I found a pond. I filled up the two water bottles I had with me and kept moving, only fighting one hopper. I followed the road from the treeline, only trying to loot a few things when there was no Zeds there. I ended up back near the coast, somewhere to the west. I saw a town with loads of Zeds there and, in the distance, a gas station. I snuck my way near it and went into the small building. I found a bandage, a Coke can, and a Lee Enfield mag (despite not having a Lee Enfield). There was also an axe but I couldn't seem to pick it up. As I walked out front to investigate further, I saw 5 shamblers and 3 hoppers in a 5 metre spread, walking towards me. They hadn't seen me yet. I crouched and ran into the forest. I'm sitting there as I write this. I've got food and I've got drink. Now...a weapon.

I'm somewhat of a bicycle fiend. I'll run all around to the bicycle spawns looking for bicycles (sometimes switching servers to see if one is spawned there). I love using them because they're fast, quiet, never need gas, and they seem to repair themselves sometimes if you get off and back on again.

Well I found one yesterday and rode it all around the map, mostly in the north. I went beyond the normal play area, looking for tent cities in the desert of the "outside of the map". Didn't find squat.

So it's getting late on the server I'm on, so I finally decide to find a place to set up my tent. I place it within a couple km of the NW airfield, and then save my tent and bicycle and log off, since by now (after 10 minutes of twilight somehow) it is pitch black and basically unplayable (unless I want to get shot running around like an idiot with a flashlight).

So this morning I log on, and dawn is just breaking, although it's still pretty dark. There was only 6/50 players on the server so I figure it's a great time to check out the NW airfield. I park my bike next to the barracks and check out some loot inside. I hear a pistol shot from the opposite side of the runway. I look outside with my binoculars and don't see anything, but figure it's safer just to get outta there (I just have a shotgun, not great against snipers).

As I'm nearing my bike, I hear a bullet whiz by my head, and then another one land nearby. I jump on my bike and put the pedal to the metal. With skillful weaving and dodging on my bike (which I'm sure looks hilarious to watch), I'm able to pedal away from the sniper and into the woods, to live another day.

They see me pedalin', they hatin'

• Like 1

So for the past week i have been stalking the forests North of the NWAF, and its been glorious. Because every kill, is earned. Not a damn mile away with a sniper rifle, but face to face, with an axe. Ill post pics in the gallery soon. So far ive got 15 kills.

The beauty in this is these guys im choppin have mostly just raided the AF and are running to the forest with there new shiny toys. and im there waiting. this is a game on its own.

and thats why dayz is so amazing, you can be a sniper, a guy livin in the woods, travel around the map, or just play however you want, you make the game what you want it to be.

anyway, back to axe murdering.

That is truly terrifying... I hope you don't play on my favorite servers...

Bonus points if you use voip on direct comm, yelling "YYeAAAAAARRGGHHHHHH CHO CHOP CHOP CHOP"

The story of my first murder, which occurred on the NZ1 server, on Tuesday the 19th.

I spawned really close to Balota, so I decided to loot the airstrip and deer stands, to little avail. Finding only a shotgun and a hatchet, my hopes at surviving the day were already low. Heading north, I hoped to find some food or drink, perhaps some ammo. Instead I discovered zombies, and only zombies. After a close encounter that left me on 8000 blood, I only had one shotgun shell left, no sidearm at all, no bandages, no food, no water, and I was beginning to starve. Seeing as my hopes were already slim, I thought I might as well live my seemingly final moments on the edge. Gamble a bit. So I decided to throw all of my proverbial money into the pot and charge into Chernogorsk.

Just as I was about fifteen metres away from entering the North-west outskirts (The five apartments and the Hospital) from the open field, I noticed movement from the street ahead. A Survivor, slowly walking around the corner of the far three-storey apartment. He saw me, and spoke into his microphone in Direct Comms. "Friendly, don't shoot!" I complied, not that I had a choice. He was over forty metres away, I doubt my last shot would even have scratched him had I opened fire. It was lucky I didn't.

Very shortly after he had spoken his intentions, a head peeked out of the broken windows of the hospital, which was the building midway between us both. Gunshots signaled the end of the poor, defenseless Survivor's life, and I witnessed him slump to the floor. It was at this point which I saw his attacker throw out a smoke grenade to distract the zombies which were now running for him due to his gunshots. The smoke grenade skipped across the ground, spraying smoke everywhere with a loud "hiss", which naturally caused all the Zombies in an immediate area to investigate and ignore the gunshots they heard before.

He hadn't noticed me at all (being too distracted by the target he likely thought was speaking to him, not me), so I hit the floor, and, concealed by tall grass as I was, he looked right over me when he made a visual sweep over the area I was hidden in. My heart pounding, I continued to watch. He began to sneak off to loot his victim, his back to me, and in a split-second decision I could have very easily come to regret, I sprinted behind the hospital he had just vacated, my footsteps masked by the hissing from his smoke grenade. I looped around the back of the hospital and peeked out around the corner just as he reached his victim's corpse. As he busied himself, pillaging the corpse of any valuables, I quite leisurely strolled up to him, planted my shotgun at his head, and without feeling of remorse, fired my final shell into his skull.

He had some deliciously good gear on him, which I was all too happy to take off of his hands. Amazingly, he had a GPS, as well as a Compass, Watch, a very large backpack, a revolver with four clips (24 shots), A matchbook, a water canteen, food, smoke grenades and a frag grenade, shotgun shells, and various ammunition for other weapons.

I lost all of it two days later, due to both some bad timing and a guy in Novy Sobor with a Makarov, but I digress.

There were so many ironies about the situation in my story, however. How ironic, this Survivor with next to no gear and a friendly attitude was what killed the man who shot him. How ironic that the killer's own gas grenade masked the sound of my approach. How ironic that the killer's gas grenade also masked the sound of my shot from the nearby zombies, thereby preventing me from having to worry about them. Yet, what I find the most ironic is how he took all the care in the world... But it still didn't save him from instant karma, delivered by the only shot I had left.

That is truly terrifying... I hope you don't play on my favorite servers...

Bonus points if you use voip on direct comm' date=' yelling "YYeAAAAAARRGGHHHHHH CHO CHOP CHOP CHOP"

[/quote']

even better, i say "hey" very quietly, till there practically spinning in circles, then i just sprint at them. im uploading video now.

I can't wait to see this. There's a guy on the ANZ servers called Crazy Axe Murderer, he's always in character. Always.