A Bandit's Tale:

MazeR, a small-time bandit, was sifting through some apartments across from the hospital when his radio crackled. A group of 3, or maybe it was 4, survivors were hunkered down in the fire station and giving directions to an injured friend to come meet them. MazeR figured these people were being way too careless to have had much fighting experience and decided that this was his chance to make a name for himself as a master bandit. But even fighting people this inexperienced, he would need more ammunition for his gun -- the makarov wouldn't cut it against 4 survivors. MazeR crouch-ran from the apartments to some medical tents a few blocks away where he figured he could find some ammunition.

When he reached the tents, he sat outside for a bit and watched for movement. Those survivors were still trying to direct their friend to their location so MazeR figured he had time to spare. And then he saw it. Another bandit, about 40-50 meters away and wielding a winchester, crouch-walking out of one tent and into another. This was perfect, MazeR would take his fellow bandit by surprise, kill him with the makarov and take his shotgun. Those 4 survivors won't stand a chance against me! MazeR thought as he ran across the street and into the tent-compound, heart racing with anticipation for the kill. But little did MazeR know, he had been spotted a few minutes earlier as he had approached the tents and in his excitement, he didn't notice the second bandit circling around from another tent.

MazeR ran into the tent that he saw the first bandit enter and quickly looked around. He spotted the enemy crouch-walking out the far exit of the tent and turning left. MazeR exited the way he came and made a right to try to head off his opponent but he was nowhere to be seen. Could he have climbed that ladder that fast? MazeR thought. He ran up to the ladder and looked up, no sign of the bandit. FTHHHPTT! The shot missed. The bandit must have turned back the way he came when I went around! MazeR turned to face his attacker and then realized with horror that one opponent had become two. He lowered to one knee, steadied his makarov and emptied a clip into the first bandit's torso and head, killing him immediately. But before he could even drop his empty clip, the second bandit fired a round from his high-powered rifle, knocking MazeR to the ground.

MazeR was panicking and losing blood fast as the second bandit calmly approached his friend, knelt down, and started rifling through his possessions. After some time, the bandit stood up and walked over to MazeR who was struggling to crawl away while going in and out of consciousness. The bandit slowly raised his rifle and aimed at MazeR's head.

The shot that follwed rang out through the streets of Chernogorsk. Zombies across the town turned their heads and grunted, but most were too far away to bother. While the bandit searched through what little gear MazeR had, his radio crackled, it was one of those survivors who MazeR had hoped to kill:

"Who's shooting in Cherno?"

I know I just posted a story, but I've got another one.

I died after being shot at. I had a shotgun with ammo and some other stuff, and it sucks I lost it, because now I had to start again with nothing. For the first time. Time to try out the new cruelty on this patch.

So I woke up and immediately zombies were all around me. They moaned loudly and I ran like hell. I ran towards what looked like a dock with a crane. Kinda hard to remember. I was able to evade them by hiding in a small shack. There I found a crossbow with one bolt. "Better than nothing." I took them both and walked up a hill to get my bearings. I saw a town not too far away, but I could see it populated with zombies. I was careful to go the long away (not down the middle of the street) and I saw a building. A school I believe. There were also a couple of zombies between me and it. No way was I gonna go out there and get spotted. I waited til they were pretty much looking away when gunshots rang out. Zeds were freakin' out and running every which way. I took that chance and ran up the ladder on the side. From then on, I don't really remember much. I was trying to scavenge stuff from the top floor and didn't find much. Another crossbow bolt, maybe. Then I heard a voice. He was taunting another player who apparently shot some more and was being chased. I yelled out "Who's out there?"

He said, "I hear you, I'm just watching a person being chased." He asked my name.

"Avalon." I told him. "Yours?"

"Gin Rummy." Some sort of alias, I imagine.

He met me up on the top floor and asked me how I was. I told him I had a couple of crossbow bolts but that's about it. He said he dropped a Makarov downstairs with full ammo. We started goin' down when I zombie reached up and over the stairwell wall and hit me. I started bleeding and went upstairs. He asked if I had a bandage and I only had one, so I used it up. We then heard gunshots outside the school. He had the Lee Enfield, so he went up top to find out what it was. I went out off to the side to try and spot the target. We only saw a female survivor who was bleeding heavily. I looked on and felt bad. I kept talking back and forth with Gin when I heard a gunshot, and then silence.

"Gin? You there?" I went up to the roof and saw him sprawled on his back. I tried checking for a pulse but I could see the blood from his head. He was dead. I looked away for a second, make sure I wasn't the next target, then looked back.

"Thank you, brother. You helped me out when you could've shot me. You didn't deserve this." I open up his pack. He had some good stuff, and I couldn't just leave it there. "Now, you'll help me in death." I took his Lee with some ammo, and holstered his M1911 with 3 mags. He also had some food and bandages. I looked ahead to another building and heard more gunfire. I looked and saw a mass of zombies trying to get through a door. I took aim and went to pull the trigger. Then I had a thought. "Man, if this guy is the one who shot Gin, no way would I help him. And if it were me, I wouldn't get helped either." I looked around to see if possibly the shots came from elsewhere, but there was no mistaking. I watched and listened. Then I heard a crack and whizzing. That's when I took my leave. I proned all the way to the ladder. I went back down and went inside. Third floor was clear. I kept an eye where the gunshots came from and didn't see or hear anything. I went down to the second floor and found a body. I opened up his pack. "This guy is loaded!" I said out loud as I took his watch, map, knife, and his pack. A Czech Backpack. It was full of more ammo for my Lee, and some medical supplies. He also had a coke. I took what I could.

I went into an adjacent room and found the Mak Gin talked about earlier. I contemplated whether I should keep the M1911 that only had three mags, or if I should get the Mak with full ammo. I figure the Mak was the safest option, even if it was less powerful. I then went into a room and barricaded it and took a rest, not forgetting who helped me out the most.

Gin Rummy, if you're reading this, thanks for all your help. You're awesome.

• Like 1

Today, I was taking a look at a couple of deer stands behind Stary Sobor. I had finished looting the first deer stand, when outta the corner of my eye I thought I saw a crawler. It was about 100 meters into the field, and usually I wouldn't have bothered with it, but I was kinda curious. So, I whip out my binoculars and just start dying of laughter. What I saw wasn't a crawler, it was just a sheep doing the moonwalk. The gif I have put below kind of outlines what it was doing. :3

anim_a8ad6d55-87d3-f6d4-bdcf-938e8bec52aa.gif

So last night, I've installed the latest update, killed off my old character to start a-fresh with just the torch, meds and bandage.

I've spawned right near Elektro! Result!

So I begin by sneaking into the docks, and start working my way in town... Somehow, despite my slow-kneel-duck-walk efforts, about 5, 6 zeds clock me, and start chasing. As per, I bolt it into town, whilst aptly sitting at my desk repeating a string of curse words.

I get into the pub, and find I've hit the motherload. There's an M1191, plenty of food and water, a tent, bandages, and what I've been waiting for what seems like decades for - a motherfucking ghillie suit.

Take out all the zombies, and go all Solid Snake on Elektro, creeping around in my ghillie suit. I get a bit gung-ho, and funnily enough, someone sneaks up on me dressed as a bush and simply discharges 2 Makarov rounds in the back of my head.

Heartbreak Hotel - Population: 1

I started out fresh on the beach found an empty soda bottle and did not have to wait long before I see someone running in the distance, no at a closer look it was two. One Zed and one survivor. I lay down, trying not to get any attention but the survivor runs directly towards me and I get up and run for it! Laughing like maniac cause this seems so silly. Just a day or two ago this would not happen. Two survivors running along together scared shitless from just a single zed.

We see I lighthouse ahead and I shout "lets go over there and hide" and he just turns completely. Then I noticed, the zed was now targeting me! I follow through with my plan and climb up the lighthouse and throw an empty soda bottle to distract the zed. So here I am, up a lighthouse with no gun, no food, nothing and a lonely zed waiting to eat my brains if I climb down.

I see the guy I were running together with of in the distance and salute. But wait! I see another guy with a rifle and it quickly becomes obvious that they are friends. They stand and watch me salute above the lonely zed. The guy with the gun come up and kill the zed and I have never felt such relief.

Then I go up to them and say "hello and thanks a bunch mr. guys!". 5 seconds later they shoot me in the head. I stare in disbelief at my screen. So I sort of saved one of them, then they save me and last they kill me who has no loot. Not even beans.

My usual routine in DayZ has been to spawn with my Makarov+5, and immediately run North to find barns and the less frequented towns away from the coast. I would rarely, if ever, interact with other players and did everything in my power to avoid them.

Since the update, I spawned on the coast and quite quickly got rumbled by a zed. The only obvious option at the time was to run a kilometer east to Elektro and hope to find a weapon in the shop. That didn't pan out because lol broken loot tables, but I did find a survivor - in Elektro - who didn't immediately murder me. He actually rescued me from the zeds, gave me a Makarov and a couple clips, and asked me to tag along with him!

A few minutes later we found a third friend, and teamed up to raid the fire station. Our saviour and benefactor (a player called Matt) was shortly thereafter shot in the head by a bandit sniper who had been watching the firestation from a nearby building. Luckily another nearby friendly survivor heard the shooting, killed the bandit sniper, and shared his loot with us.

The three of us then spent a solid hour or so trekking north, rummaging in barns without much luck, before eventually aggroing too many walkers at once, and I died of blood loss as my friends blasted the zeds with their shotgun and AK.

Another game I had today turned out quite similarly - I was seriously low on blood and snooping in a Cherno office looking for... anything. I eventually found a survivor on the roof; crouched over a player body that was loaded with gear. I suspected the living player to have murdered the dead guy, but since I had nothing of value I took the risk of greeting him rather than running away. He didn't kill me. Instead he offered me weapons and gear, and then helped me find my way to the hospital before sharing a blood pack with me. I died shortly afterwards by falling off a ladder, but it was a great experience that showed me how PZ players can be good guys, if a little nervous and trigger-happy.

I would not have had either of these good experiences if I had spawned on the coast with my makarov and 5 mags as usual, and for that reason I continue to support this new feature.

The zombie aggro range and loot tables are all fucked up, though.

I've got one. Started my character a few weeks ago, usually play for a few hours every few days or so. Earlier today was especially tense.

So I am relatively new to Arma II and DayZ and that means I am especially new with the map and locations. So let's start:

Day 1:

I spawned south of Balota and made my way to the airstrip. I was especially cautious knowing that Bandits and other survivors like to visit such areas. My end game goal this character was to find a bicycle and blast Queens Bicycle Race while riding up and down the coast. However upon reaching the airfield I find it littered with bodies of survivors. I made my way around the airfield scrounging for supplies. A lot of the corpses had starting equipment and mostly their food missing, meaning bandits had struck them.

I also was hearing intermittent gunfire in the distance, close enough to be cautious but not enough to be an immediate threat. After scrounging whatever I could I proceeded eastward along the coast attempting to reach the Cap Golova light house to check the supposed bicycle spawn. As I head eastward I continually hear gunfire in the distance and regularly find survivor corpses. I begin discussing this with other survivors on the server via side channel without giving away my position. Mostly they accuse me of killing the people but I reiterated that all I want to do is ride my bike.

So I shrug it off, scavenge what I can and continue on along the coast. As always I find corpse after corpse, whoever this serial killer was he didn't even bother to hide the bodies. This meant I had plenty of medical supplies which was welcome. I made it through Cherno without surprise by sticking along the docks portion while stopping at the church. While there I noted and transmitted what supplies were there (flashlight, bandages etc.) then leaving. So I progressed, eventually I came upon the lighthouse only to find no bike. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed. So in my anger I challenged myself to climb the mountain just north of it that I now know the name of (Pik Kozlova).

Once I am on the mountain I register there is a goat and kill it for it's meat. I continued in a north easternly fashion till I came upon the north western edge of Elektrozavodsk. I rounded the city and entered the northern electrical plant. Up until this time I had continued to find corpses left by this bandit. I entered the power facility and climbed to the roof to get a better view of the zombies in the city. When I was up there I noticed on a platform by the smoke stack was a dead survivor with a Lee Einfield rifle. Since I had not found a primary weapon I climbed down and took his.

That was when it happened, after I looted the Einfield I heard gunshots. This time no longer in the distance to be wary of but literally within 50 yards of my position. I climbed down the ladder and looked around the corner to see the bandit killing a zombie and enter in the opposing whare house with a white tower. I quickly checked two survivor corpses he left nearby and then dashed across the square into the ware house. I heard nothing inside and figured he had left. I proceeded to climb my way to the top to see if any loot remained, when on the third floor I turned and saw him laying shotgun pointed at the stairs.

I wheeled around and fired as he did, while his struck my in the side mine (luckily) struck him in the head killing him. I was shocked, for this is the first time I've murdered any other player since starting DayZ. I check his person, he didn't have much in the way of medical supplies (not that I needed any with all he left behind) but he had considerable food sources. I bandaged myself, used his stolen food to heal and then proceeded to leave. I returned to the Einfield corpse for one last magazine. Sadly this bugged out and I could not retrieve it and since I had one round left I used it on a straggling zombie since I didn't see any within the vicinity.

Boy that was one of the biggest mistakes this whole play through. Upon firing it alerted all nearby zombies, soon I had 15-20 zombies rushing my position and only my Makarov. I used the ladder to funnel them but it only brought more zombies. Luckily the same Einfield corpse had 7 9mm magazines which I burnt through. Once there was enough of a lull in combat I sprinted over to the whare house, shut all the doors and climbed to the top story. From there I saw easily 50-100 zombies meandering their way to me. I decided it'd be safest for me to log out for the night here and so I did.

Day 2:

So several days later I re log in on the same server. I am in the same location and all my gear is intact. Using my height I survey the surrounding area and see few zombies. I also notice a fresh Lee Einfield and ammunition which I take. I progress downstairs but encounter zombies I couldn't see inside the ware house. I retreat back upstairs and await the zombies eventual pursuit. As it turns out only 2 zombies came up and both got stuck on the first story. I killed them both suffering minor injuries. After I bandage, consume some food and soda and am set to go I notice on the second story is, none other then a M4A1!!!! Oh my god my heart skipped a beat.

While it only had 2 magazines I immediately switched my Einfield for it. I also began hearing shots in the distance and saw someone talking about my gunshots in Elektro. When I asked him if he was friendly he said he was so I told him my position. However not trusting him fully I proceeded out of the electrical plant and up into the hills north east of it. While lying prone in the hills I heard zombie sounds to see a crawler moving his way towards me. Not wanting to alert zombies I got up and walked away figuring as one who crawls along the ground he isn't a threat. I proceeded along the coast to a ware house train depot and scrounged for supplies.

However as the area began to be crawling with zombies I attempted to retreat. The way I came in had zombies covering it so I moved toward a hole in the wall. As I am 5 feet away the crawling zombie comes from under the wall making me retreat a few paces back and finding a removed section of wall to go through. Once I am through I hear the alert of a zombie and see one running at me. I retreat up to the tree line turn and fire on the pursuing zombie and kill it. Luckily not alerting any other zombies.

Thus I found a nearby road and headed north. Moving through the woods traveling in the same general direction but following the road. After clearing the forest I came upon an exceedingly large field. Figuring the server only has about 20-30 people on it I decided to run full sprint standing through the field. About a third of the way across the field I hear a gunshot ring out. I immediately went into a prone position and surveyed the area. Continually hearing gunshots being fired around me I proceeded to crawl my way forward. I noticed a small pack of zombies (roughly 10) milling about a field about 100 yards away.

Then I looked forward, and that when I saw him. I saw just briefly a survivor/bandit shooting nearby a deer stand roughly 300-400 yards ahead. Freaking out I proceeded onward crawling along the ground. After I finally reach the deer stand I assumed a crouched position and checked the area out. No sign of him, so I checked the stand for supplies and retreated downhill and hid in a copse of trees, logging out for the day.

Day 3:

I logged in just south of the deer stand. After checking the area for bandits I checked the stand out for supplies, nothing of significant use so I proceeded onward. However a new issue reared it's ugly head. I was out of food. I decided I'd heard in a south westernly direction in an attempt to reach the Cap Golova lighthouse again for that bike and see if I could find food on the way. En route I encountered a rabbit and gut it for food and hit the beach east of Elektro and scavanged some beans of corpses of new players who couldn't get off the beach.

However this was just after the fresh patch increasing zombie lethality along with reducing players starting equipment. So I proceeded along the coast towards Elektro circumventing a shambling horde of zombies along the coast town near Drakon. I also saw a player sprinting through town, and decided to be on my way. That's where it happened, I have no idea where they came from but 7 zombies rushed me from my flank. I managed to kill them but was injured (6400 blood left). I figured my best shot of survival would be to get to the power plant north of Elektro and see if I could find some supplies like food before I began my journey towards Cherno and a construction site that had a fire pit at it's based figuring I could re light somehow (I didn't have matches) to cook the raw meat I had.

Once I reached the power plant it was getting late and my friends were back so I resumed my logged out position at the top of the white ware house. Sadly it didn't have much in the way of supplies.

Day 4: Part 1 (Today)

I logged in today knowing I wouldn't have much time. I left the ware house and checked the small shack for supplies, on route to the coast I noticed a zombie behind me looking the other way. I slowed down to avoid making too much noise to alert him to my presence and began backing up keeping an eye on him. That's when a second zombie came shambling around the corner and saw me. I freaked tried to shoot but missed and he hit my, breaking my leg and leaving me prone. This alerted the one I was trying to avoid and they began curb stomping me. Luckily I wheeled my M4A1 around and killed them both.

I applied medicine to myself but the damage was done. I was now at 3500 units of blood. I heard a moan and a crawling zombie was making his way towards me. I shot him in the head, check them for supplies and was on my way. My vision was black and white, extremely blurry at random intervals and I was dying. I proceeded along the coast till Elektro where I climbed to the roof of a ware house on the long coastal dock. I logged out there to go run some errands, knowing when I logged back in I'd probably be dead shortly thereafter.

Day 4: Part 2 (Today)

I logged back in safe and sound on the rooftop. I decided to foot it along the coast, figuring I'd scrounge any supplies off the numerous corpses littering the beaches since the update stripped them of their starting supplies. It was tense, I was always freaking out as I went. I check the light house at Cap Golova for a bike to make my trek easier. Especially since hunger and thirst were wearing on my and I had no food. I was desperate, even telling my friends (who want to play but don't have Arma II) I may have to revert to becoming a bandit. He warned me to be careful and left, without someone to talk to it became even more tense.

I proceeded along and checked a ware house figuring I'd check it for food and found a fresh Lee Einfield rifle. Since my M4A1 was low on ammo I switched it out and moved along. After slogging through the coast and heading towards Cherno looking for the construction site (proving difficult with such horrible sight distance) I chance upon something amazing. A fresh survivor corpse, while he didn't have anything the bandit corpse who killed him had items. A compass and matches along with some other essential items. I was ecstatic! I had matches now so I didn't need to rely on looting. I headed north from the tip of Chyornaya Bay along the outskirts of Cherno crawling past roaming zombies to the forest. There I cooked the two raw meat I had and ate them putting me at about 5400 blood.

I headed over the small hill Vysota north of Chernogorsk and encountered the field. While my vision was no longer extremely blurry it was still too much of a risk to check out the small farm buildings since I could see the silhouettes of zombies nearby the buildings just barely. I did notice an unusual blotch in a field and proceeded toward it. At about 100-75 yards I identified it as nothing but a cow. A cow, oh thank god I pulled out my Einfield and shot it. After gutting it though I found out cows drop 8 pieces of raw meat. More then enough to heal me but farm to much to carry.

I noticed the woods north of me and sprinted to them. After cutting some wood and making a fire I cooked the meat I was able to grab, ate them and dashed for the rest. While I made the fire in a copse of trees so it wouldn't be seen it took me two trips to gather all the meat and eat it. When I was done I was at 11000 blood. My vision is perfect and my supplies are solid. I decided to continue on a north western path and logged out in a forest just outside of a town south of Nadezhdino.

I survived and realized my ordeals brought great rewards. I have plenty of ammunition for my Lee Einfield rifle and Makarov pistol. I have a hatchet, hunting knife, watch, compass and matches for equipment. I have plenty of medical supplies for emergencies and some solid food supplies. All I can say now is I am extremely relieved. The only issue I have is that I have to play using the beta client and the side channel is removed, leaving me only the group channel to speak with that nobody seems to see.

If you've read this far thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.

So today I started a new character after having to respawn because I was stuck in the wilderness due to the 1.7.1 patch (Not complaining by the way, this mod is in alpha, it has issues, I accept that, it's still fun!) So I spawned and of course didn't have a gun so I was forced to play really stealthy until I found a weapon. I spawned near Elektro and slowly crept into the city. I raided a couple places including a barn and a brick building. I found a double barrel shotgun and a revolver but no ammo, I also looted the roof of the hospital for some med supplies. While climbing down the ladder from the hospital roof, I heard shots and looked over at the office buildings to see a group of bandits murder 2 survivors. I hit the deck of course and waited till they left (they got chased out of town by Zeds) I then crept over to the office building to see if I could loot anything useful from the building and the unlucky survivors. Inside I found a lee enfield and 2 mags of ammo, which I swapped for me double barrel because I had no choice. From there I found a Czech backpack and a makarov with a few mags. As I was looting a room I heard player's footsteps. Expecting the bandits to have returned, I hit the deck and prepared my lee enfield to try my best to take out the bandits. To my surprise, the footsteps I heard were that of a fellow survivor. It was the first friendly I had seen in the game and it felt awesome to find someone who was willing to help me out. (All the other players I had met either shot me on sight, or pretended to be friendly and shot me later on) Me and this friendly proceeded to loot the rest of elektro finding assault rifles and shotguns as well as ALICE packs and loads of other useful gear. We fought off two massive zombie hordes together and after and hour of play I had 49 zombie kills. He eventually had to log off, and I did as well. This was one of the best experiences I have had in DayZ and I plan on continuing this life for as long as I can (of course). The best part is that I recorded the whole thing and will have it all up on YouTube soon, you can check out the first part now!

Based on my first experience of playing 1.7.1. All of this happened, exactly as described, except the backstory.

As dawn’s first light glimmered on the Eastern horizon, I awoke to find myself lying face down on a remote beach. The sand was cold and damp beneath me, above was a cold and starry sky.

For a moment was bewildered. Then I remembered.

Somehow I had survived the fire and the terror of the night before, swimming desperately for the distant shoreline, away from the rapidly sinking wreckage of the 747 which had been meant to take us to the safety of the airfield in Chernarus. The plane had made it to within sight of the coastline before the co-pilot had manifested signs of infection and had gone berserk, stripping the cabin crew of their clothes and then eating their faces. Snarling like a rabid dog when others tried to intervene. The pilot had had a heart attack from the terror and no one knew how to stop the aircraft from plummeting towards the sea…

I did a quick check of my possessions.

I had managed to pull my travel pack from underneath the seat in front of me before plunging headfirst down the emergency chute when I abandoned the wreckage the night before, however it was empty except for a small yellow flashlight that I had shoved into it without thinking – I had been using it to read a Walking Dead comic so that I did not disturb my sleeping wife.

My wife! She was nowhere to be seen.

I had to find her; perhaps she was injured and lying somewhere up the coast.

I quickly stripped the sleeve off of my shirt and shoved this into the pack to use as a bandage if the need arose. I noticed a small box of pain medication in a side pocket of the pack which I had packed for the persistent migraines from which I occasionally suffer. These may also be of use.

I set off up the beach, keeping the sea on my right hand side. If this was Chernarus, I knew that my best hope lay in finding help from the friendly inhabitants of the capital city, Cherno, which lay somewhere along this coast.

I prayed the infection had not reached here. This plague, which had spread like no affliction mankind had ever seen before had already infected almost everyone I knew back home. The infected became something…something else other than human. They suffered constant internal bleeding, a degradation of mental faculties, some lost the ability or the will to stand erect, crouching like apes, some even slithering along the ground like snakes. Worse though, every one of them became vicious, murderous. Worse stories said that they attacked people, that they preyed upon us like wild beasts, ripping at our flesh with their hands and teeth.

These stories were no doubt exaggerated, but my wife and I had decided to leave the city and head north to Chernarus where it was said to be infection free.

As I walked I pondered the wisdom of our decision. I came to a headland with a small pier leading out into the water.

A lighthouse with colourful red and white stripes loomed above. Its lamp was dead, staring out at the dark sea like a blinded Cyclops.

As I looked up at it I stumbled. Picking myself up, I realised with horror that I had stumbled over a body.

I got out my flashlight, and rolled over the huddled form. The pale beam of light shone onto the face of a person I knew. It was a fellow passenger, I recognized him from the plane.

His name was Henry.

I remember this because he had been in the check in queue ahead of us when we boarded, and his wife had been constantly hectoring him about having not packed enough canned food. He had protested that he had packed cans of beans but the authorities had confiscated them along with the handguns that some people had tried to bring aboard. I had made a joke about it to my wife afterwards.

Henry was face was red and purple from morbidity, but his skin was wrinkled and ghost white, almost translucent from immersion in the sea. A small crab scuttled from his open mouth and ran across his chest.

Horrified, I stepped away.

Behind me I heard a low chuckling sound, I stood up. The chuckle became a growl.

Coming over the sand dune towards me was a creature, once human, wearing an odd outfit consisting of a beret, a yellow plaid shirt and brown trousers with a single leg swathed in bandages. The creature snarled - flailing its hands wildly as it ran towards me in a crouched and stumbling run. Despite its awkward looking gait it was incredibly fast.

I stumbled backwards. Panicking I hurled the flashlight at the creature. It bounced off the creatures back with little effect. I turned and ran.

My terrified flight led me several kilometres north, yet despite the fact that I ran without stopping, fuelled by terror and adrenaline, the creature never stopped coming.

As I ran I came across several bodies, most laying on the sand, some frozen by rigor mortis in a curious standing position, some with flashlights held in front of them as if to ward off the eternal darkness of death. Pursued by the creature I could not stop to examine them, but I know that my wife was not among them.

Eventually I came to a wharf and ducked behind some shipping containers, stifling my hoarse panting as best as I could. I could hear the creature howling to itself from somewhere behind the container, but it did not know where I was.

Relieved, I got down on my belly and crawled carefully away, heading for some nearby small buildings.

I crawled inside the first building I came to, a small shed. On the floor among some tin cans and empty whiskey bottles was a hatchet. I picked it up, it might be useful. Clearly the infection had spread to Chernarus as well. I had to have a means of defending myself from that zombie like creatures.

As I wondered what to do next a loud noise made me jump. It was a church bell ringing in the distance. The Church of St Rocket in Cherno! Perhaps my wife had made it into the city; she may be looking for me there!

The idea of reuniting with my wife gave me hope and filled me with a fierce desire to survive.

I peered out of the shed in which I was resting. I could see now that there were dozens of creatures shambling around the buildings on the outskirts of the city, milling listlessly, as if they were drunk. I knew better. These were the infected, the undead. Zombies. I would have to make my way into the city without attracting their attention.

Crouching, I quietly made my way out of the shed and under a nearby fence. Following alleyways, hopping over backyard fences, keeping hidden in shadows and doorways, I eventually made my way into the city. The church was only two blocks away now, its pale walls painted a pale orange by the beginnings of a sunrise, its golden spire looming into the dawn sky like a beacon of hope and sanity.

Across the road I noticed a small store. I had no food or drink, and last nights in flight meal had been meagre. I decided to make a quick detour to find some supplies that I could share with my wife. Entering the store cautiously, I noticed to my dismay that the shelves had been emptied, the contents ransacked.

As I scrabbled in the junk on the floor I found a few items that I could use. Some chemlights. A water bottle. Something metallic scraped under my boot. I looked down. It was a small pistol. I picked it up and examined it. It was a Makarov, but had no ammunition. I decided to take it anyway; perhaps I could find some ammunition for it elsewhere.

As I prepared to leave the store I noticed movement behind the counter.

A man stood crouched behind the counter, with a backpack on his back, carrying a crossbow. Perhaps this was the owner of the store? Feeling guilty that I had taken the items, I made a peaceful gesture, forgetting that I was still holding the empty pistol. The man neither moved nor responded to my attempt at communication. As I moved to leave the store, a sharp twang sounded and something pierced my side, through the fabric of my backpack. The man had shot me with his crossbow! He must have thought me a bandit, carrying the pistol.

Unable to defend myself with an empty pistol, and unwilling to brutalise the man with my hatchet, I turned to run. The noise of my flight attracted several of the zombies in the street, who immediately became aggressive and turned to pursue me. I didn’t look behind, but I imagined that my attacker would have to deal with the Zombies before he could think about pursuing me.

I ducked into a large red brick building and took cover in one of its rooms.

The zombies chasing me seemed to become confused and did not know where I was. In the brief moment of respite, I frantically scoured the room. I needed a weapon! The first room had nothing other than a can of Mountain Dew. I quickly moved across the hallway before the zombie which had entered the building could notice me and looked in the next room. Magazines for my pistol!

I slammed a clip into the pistol and turned off the safety. Quickly turning attention to my wound, I wound my makeshift bandage around my chest to stem the trickling blood, but on examination the wound was not serious.

I darted out the back of the building as I heard confident footsteps at the front entrance. Circling around the side I peered around the corner and saw the man from the store enter the building, his crossbow held in front of him. Quietly I came in behind him. As he turned to enter the room which I had searched first, I aimed my pistol at him.

My hand trembled. I tried to tell myself that this person had tried to murder me without provocation only a few minutes ago and would surely try again. He was clearly stalking me with intent. I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Once, twice, three times.

The man fell to the floor of the hallway, unconscious, perhaps mortally wounded by my bullets which had struck his belly and legs. Two zombies, shrieking like banshees, came in the back door and started to tear at his body. I could only watch in horror, frozen.

The man suddenly came to and began to scream in a high pitched, terrified voice. I suddenly realised he was only a young man, a boy, really, perhaps 17 years of age. Trembling, sick at what I had done, I knew I had to end this. I carefully aimed at his head and pulled the trigger again. The shot rang out and the screaming stopped.

I left by the front door, too numb to care about the zombies.

Eventually I made it to the next block and pushed my way through the huge timber doors into the church.

I sank wearily down next to the alter.

My wife wasn’t here. I had been foolish thinking she would be. I knew it likely that she was on the beaches somewhere with the other bodies, but this thought could only lead to darkness. I put this out of my mind. I would survive. For her, for Henry, for the boy I had killed across the road, I would survive. The zombie infected would not claim this man.

With renewed determination I decided my next priority was to arm myself properly. Searching the church I noticed another pistol, with two magazines of ammunition lying between the pews. I seized it; it was an M1911, much better than the Makarov. However a pistol was not going to last long, especially if there were bandits, the kind that had looted the store. I might need something with more range if I was to survive for long. I had been to Cherno once before while on vacation, and knew that there was a fire station to the North of the city, perhaps five blocks away. There would be useful items there that would help me survive.

I set off.

Darting between buildings and crawling through bushes and overgrown shrubbery, I eventually made it to the fire station.

The doors were open, no fire engines were inside. With a sense of growing paranoia, I decided that walking blindly into the building could be a death sentence. This would be a prime ambush location for the unwary. I examined the building. A small fire escape ladder on the south of the building led to the roof, where there was a tower. I decided to climb up that way and see if there was an entrance from the roof.

As I climbed I felt as if there were eyes on my back watching my ascent. Eventually I made my way to the roof. I crept across to the tower. There was nothing there but some magazines of ammunition for what looked like an assault rifle. I couldn’t quite see what was on the floor below, so I climbed down a second smaller ladder to a lower roof area next to the same tower.

At that moment a man came up the stairs inside the tower. He saw me, and his eyes widened. I heard a voice cursing in fright; reaching for the shot gun on his back he shouted “don’t shoot!” however I was already pulling the trigger of my M1911. Four shots cracked out. The man fell down the stairs, bleeding from several wounds. I knew he was dead.

I climbed down from the roof and made my way cautiously inside the fire station. The man had been alone. I searched his body half-heartedly. He had some clips of ammunition which I took, some Pepsi and cans of food. Road flares. Bandages. Morphine. I took what I could fit in. I also took his backpack which could hold more gear than mine. I also took his shotgun.

As I came down from the tower I saw in a corner at the foot of the stairs an assault rifle. It was an AKS. I seized it, dropping the shotgun, and found an extra magazine of ammunition for it.

Feeling better prepared for survival, I decided to head for the apartment buildings to the North of the fire station. We had rented an apartment here on our holiday here, and I knew I would find more supplies there, perhaps more food.

As I left the fire station I decided that instead of going around the corner I would take a stealthier route, crawling under the wall surrounding the station and crossing the railway tracks. As I bent down I wormed my way under on my belly.

As I looked up, preparing to pull myself up from the ground, I was shocked to be staring down the barrel of another man’s AKS. He must have heard the shots fired and come to investigate.

Some detached part of my mind calmly noted that it differed slightly from mine in that it had a Kobra sight fitted to it. At the same time I seized mm M1911 (my AKS was strapped to my back). The bandit fired several shots into my prone form, but not on full auto, perhaps he was trying to conserve his ammunition or perhaps he did not have enough left. The bullets drove through me. The pain was intense at first, then, although I was still conscious, I felt nothing at all.

I rapidly fired my M1911, faster than I thought possible. The bandit tried to dodge to the side, but I rolled and kept him in my sights. Finally there were no bullets left, and the gun clicked uselessly. I was no longer able to hold the weapon in any case, and it dropped from my nerveless fingers.

The bandit was dead, fallen next to me. As I lay there, beneath the wall next to the train tracks, the first rays of the new day rose over the hills to the north. In the distance I could hear the zombies were coming, many of them.

I am sure the sunrise was glorious that morning, the last morning I ever knew, however the colours had faded from my vision, leaving the sky painted in shades of grey and white. I had a sensation of looking down on my body from above. Detached. Serene. Then I was back on the ground.

The darkness crept in from the edges, bleeding into my head and making it impossible to make out shapes or forms around me. I was dimly aware that my body seemed be shaking, or being pushed and pulled in many different directions. I smiled. As the darkness claimed me for good I knew that all hope was not lost.

I would soon be with my wife again.

This was over the course of like 5 hours, I was scared of Zeds and still am... so I was avoiding places as much as possible, I had gone into a town when I spawned in a fairly large city, and found a can of beans and a bandage, I started heading North and was chatting with people in the chat when I noticed someone was looking to hook up with someone. I said I would and wondered off in the wrong direction that he was going by accident and found a Lee Enfield, a hatchet, and some bullets. I took that and dashed out of the city afraid of the huge horde of zombies outside of the door. I decided I'd head south as I was low on food and needed some beans, and killing someone was the only way unless I wanted to face the fear of zombies. I looked for a town sign by one I was at, and pulled 3 zeds by accident. I dashed out and killed them all, but bleeding badly. I ran and saw another zombie was after me. I shot him dead and ran away, bandaged myself and continued heading south (I think) eventually I ran out of beans, water and low on bullets. I decided I'd clear out of a town, or die trying. So I pulled out my rifle and shot the zombies, killed at least 10 before being overrun and died...

3 hours ago, i was at Cherno, near the hospital where 4-5 enterable buildings at, searching for some beans. I was moving in to enter one of buildings to scavenge, suddenly saw a guy with a makarov and took cover instantly, he behaved and talked friendly, so i continued into building, ofcourse while aiming at him, i cant afford being unwary out in the open and i am no murderer neither. A minute or two later he shouted about three bandits coming down from the hill, i picked a good spot at a balcony and saw them crawling towards the hospital, each of them were armed pretty good. A guy with a makarov is something, three guys with rifles is another, i wasnt sure if they were bandits or not, doubt was crawling in my head as they were crawling in my sight and my window of opportunity was narrowing. I shot them, half the clip of my AK74 gone and three guys dead. Murder count risen to 2, guess other guy got a lucky shot with the makarov. I felt guilty as we approached to corpses. They were loaded indeed, tons of ammo, cooked food, guns, maps, watchs, compasses. Wondered how long they were with their character and if they were bandits or survivors. Turned around and looked back at my sniper spot, a simple balcony, yet gave great cover against that angle. I was a simple survivor five minutes ago, never killed another man, and now am i a bandit? guess i was just afraid and took quick action, ending a gunfight before it might start.

I am still in cherno, dont think i will survive in the city, wilderness?? maybe longer, but i know that wont last long too, maybe i will move in a good spot and watch things in the city a bit...

Playing the game for over 3 weeks now, and im attaching to it.

Guess what i did today is what i would do in real world in that same frakking situation.

A little background....I play Day Z with a bunch of people I have gamed with for years and some new folks. We are part of a gaming community. We have our own Team Speak and there can be over a dozen people in there any given night.

So we have a nice tent city set up on a server which will remain nameless. We have found some vehicles, I wanted to take the bike for a spin to a nearby pond to fill water bottles. So I tell everyone my intentions and shove off. I get to the pond and fill the bottles. All of a sudden I hear loud gunfire so very very close to me. LOL I was by far the most scared I have been in the game. ( after just having a blast on the bike) My heart jumped out of my chest, every hair on my body stood straight up!!! and I ran like hell yelling in TS Oh my god, oh my god oh my god....lol The bike, the bike I was thinking, they are after mah bike!! Then I hear a lot of el oh eling over TS. It seems one of them fuckers was near the pond and decided to give me a good fright. Best moment of the game so far. We all got a good laugh and my heart rate finally came down about 20min later. The "shooter" jogged along as I rode the bike back to our camp. Sometimes it is not the game but the people you play with that make it fun!!!

Earlier today I fucked up and got killed my a group of zombies. So I respawned and decided to head north. Somewhere near Ozerko I came up to 4 french banquet-dicks, who just stared at me. I walked past them and one of them started shooting at me. Luckily he didn't know how to shoot (maybe because he was french?) and missed. I turned around and killed the pistol hero with my crossbow. He went unconscious, but I didn't have time to shoot him again, because the rest of them had hatchets and tried to cut my head off.

So I danced around and killed them. But when I was looting their bodies, the first guy woke up and shot me in the back. I went unconscious and died. 15 seconds he died due to blood loss.

I took it as a moral victory. I died, but I took them with me.

My first experience to spawn without a weapon was very eventful. After running to Elektro I immediately discovered a body with an AK-74 and two mags, as well as some food and soda. This was good, because the loot bug was pretty terrible...

After searching the rest of the buildings and finding nothing I started heading for the north Firestation when I heard the motor of a vehicle. I could see the ATV screaming down the hill and I got ready to peg his ass.

Unfortunately I had the AK on semi, and I think I missed him each time I fired. But I surely scared the shit out of him because he swerved and tipped his ATV.

With a horde of zombies on him, he ran into the nearest building and started fighting them off. I ran in the back entrance and met him in a side room. I was so excited that I unloaded half a mag into his balls, rather than hit his head like I should have.

He shot my face a few times with his Makarov though and I died instantly. He bled to death after that. :D

19/06/2012

Crawled into Elektro and bee-lined straight for the school. Managed to find myself a Lee Enfield and a M1911 with tons of ammo. Used my tactical stealth action skills to work through the houses nearby. I now have an ALICE pack, compass, knife, matches and plenty of ammo. (No shots fired. Survivor's spotted: 2)

----------

By this time I had plenty of gear to head North but the fire station kept calling out to me. I sneak down the road. I look carefully and i see several corpses.

''Hmm there has been a fair bit of action here. Must be careful'' I mumble to myself.

5 minutes later I am inside the building piecing together the fire fight that must have happened recently. I stumble across a survivor's corpse with an ALICE pack, open it up. Goldmine! A DMR with no ammo. I pop it in my bag and save it for later. A further 5 more minutes of exploration nets me a AK with plenty of gear, a map and some medical supplies. (No shots fired. Survivors spotted: 0)

----------

I head north. I need food and water to be comfortable. I crawl my way out of Elektro and make for the nearest barns to try and find a canteen and some basic supplies. Upon approaching the treeline near the farm I spot a survivor sprinting into the barn. I dial my sights in on him and monitor his progress.

''Does he have food and water? He looks well equipped''.

A hundred reasons cross my mind and I ignore them. Wanting my fellow human to survive, silently cheering him on and chiding myself for not taking the shot. I track him to make sure he has not seen me. Satisfied, I continue North(No shots fired. Survivor's spotted: 1).

----------

I am getting hungry and thirsty. My fears are justified. I could not bear letting myself dies from something so trivial! I sneak through a few towns. Nothing. I find a few deer stands. Nothing I need. Eventually I stumble across a huge building site. I normally avoid these places, they are so visible and have only a few routes of escape.

Desperation drives me there.

With no other options I sneak in there. First floor, a can of coke which I down for temporary relief and continue. Second floor, a DMR mag.

''Great, just don't die and lose it!'' I remind myself.

Third floor, nothing... I am devastated...

''Wait... whats that in the shed below?'' Something has peaked my interest!

I whip my binoculars on. A canteen! I promptly sneak down there and loot the canteen. Suddenly there is a shuffling noise and a growl behind me! Zombie! I unload a few bullets into it's torso.

Silence.

Heavy footsteps... Someone is running here! I close the doors and find myself a corner to defend. Soon several zombies have entered the building. I promptly try and shoot them in the head taking a few blows.

(10 shots fired. Survivors spotted: 0)

---------

I treat my wounds and get out of there. Luckily finding some wood on the way out.

At the treeline I spot movement to my right! I drop to the ground, aim my AKM and prepare to make a decision. I need food desperately now.

''Oink''

... A wild boar...

I openly laugh at my stupidity. Feeling guilty for my 4 legged friend I promptly butcher it. Minutes later in the middle of the forest I have myself a barbecue and try to relax from the strains of the day.

(2 shots fired. Survivors spotted: 0)

It has been a hard and tense day but I have survived. Now lets see what happens tomorrow. I dread having to face my fellows...

----------

(TL;DR)

Gear:

AKM + ammo

DMR + ammo

M1911 + ammo

ALICE pack

canteen

cooking equipment and food

map and compass

Happened to me a few days ago. Me and my 2 friends were making our way to Zelenogorsk through drozhino. We approached Drozhino from the east and when we arrived to the edge of town we saw a survivor running with ton of zombies after him.

We decide to help him, atleast for now because the zeds had seen us too.

We run to the barn between Drozhino and Kozlovka and slaughter all the zombies.

The random dude asks if he can join our group until we hit zeleno and then split up.

We agree, and decide to pass Drozino to avoid any more fights because we were low on ammo.

Greed made us impatient and my group wanted to investigate the barn on the west side of Drozhino. we were in a hurry and didn't notice the random guy dissapearing.

We thought he lost connection or something.

When we arrived to the barn, it was full of dead zombies. Apparently our guest had spooked the zombies while looting the town.

Then, one of my friends comes online and he wants to check the tower on green mountain for supplies, and then head for Zeleno.

We agree and head for the tower.

Unluckily,we aggroed a zombie on the north side of Drozhino, and my friend shoots it with his M4.

Suddenly we have the whole town after us. We run north to the dirt road between Drozhino and green mountain and start dropping off the zombies with the help of my friend, that wanted to go to the mountain in the first place. Luckily he had a sniper and picked off the zeds as we ran forth and back with the zombies after us.

Suddenly, one of my friends die, but we counted it as friendly fire.

It was no problem because he could come back up from the coast and get all his stuff back.

Then another of us dies. I am alone in the field and our sniper friend in the woods.

I die.

Now we realized that the guy we met earlier must have followed us and was into easy prey as we were short on ammo after fighting the zeds on the field.

He comes out of his hiding place and starts to loot our bodies.

BANG!

our sniper shot clean through the bandit's head.

Our sniper stays there and guards the bodies until we could get back there and collect our gear.

I spawned west of electro and started heading straight north.

In the forest north of electro, i find a ATV hidden under a tree. I follow the powerlines westward and pick up one of my friends north of cherno, who also died by the bandit.

We make it to the bodies and gear up. We put everything we cant carry into the ATV and hide it to the forest south of the green mountain.

Then we head to the grand price.

Exept for the hill had nothing. Just a couple of sodas and some clips for makarov, nothing.

We decided to wait until tomorrow before going to zeleno.

THE END

Me and three other friends are on teamspeak, scattered around Chernarus. One of my friends is running up a hill and suddenly he shouts "I FOUND A CAR!". In no time he has got the bright-red UAZ on the road and is picking us up. I come to the road between Komarovo and Balota and soon I see the car coming up on the road, with a horde of zeds chasing it. He stops and I jump inside, and the four of us head north.

Never before in a game has just driving around been so much fun. We raid deer stands as we come across them, the sun is shining and spirits are high. We stop by some random village and three of us jump out while our driver lets the horn blare and drives around, attracting hordes of zeds from the village while the rest of us plunder it. A bit later our friend drives between two barns we've been looting and we jump inside, on the road again.

We are quickly running out of fuel and go around looking for a place to refill our Jerry cans. Soon we find one and right when we are ready to go, a server restart is coming. We all log out and with anticipation wait for the server to come back online again. Everyone jumps in and we get on the road, towards northwest.

As a sign of things to come, lightning flashes across the horizon and thunder blares, as the afternoon is getting darker. We drive along a sand road at about 30 km/h and I say "Wanna bet someone is gonna shoot us soon?", drawing a few laughs and notions of "Don't jinx it, bro". And a minute later, gunshot.

The car veeres on the road and spins around 180 degrees as we lose a tire, then the windshield cracks. People are shouting "GET OUTTA THE CAR, TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!" I get out frantically and throw myself into the dirt on the side of the road and crawl towards a few bushes on a sloped, open hill. It's chaos, everyone is shouting where the hell did they shoot from, how many are there, what the hell is going on. And then the inevitable from our driver "Shit, I was hit!" Unable to stop the bleeding on his own, he falls unconscious somewhere close to the car. The rest of us are already some ways away, though I don't see either of my friends. I start to make my way towards the car and find my friend waking up, blood spurting from his neck.

I make my way to my buddy and start to bandage him, getting up to do so. And like in any war movie, I don't get hit despite being completely visible. Once he has stopped bleeding we start to make our way up the slope, only for him to take a bullet some moments later. And another of my friends says he was shot, no idea where they are shooting from. So as the last two survivors we get up and make a run for better cover, zig-zagging across the field, miraculously making it. I get down on my knee and look at the place we were originally through the scope of my CZ-550.

And there, a guy in a camo suit with a zombie face is aiming at our position. I'm exhausted from the battle and my aim is shaking like crazy, I take the shot. Missed, the gunshot echoes in the afternoon. The bandit takes cover and I start making my way to a better sniping position. And in the end, I carelessly get on my knee and get instantly shot, with my last friend following soon after.

This was the story of the most legendary time I've ever had with this game. The story of how a jolly group of fellows was brutally slaughtered by and organized team of killing machines in camo suits.

It's dangerous out there, so make the most of the time you have!

Me and my other teammate had been surviving a few days now on cold beans and soggy pasta, and had gotten used to long periods without sustinance, and even longer periods of fear, panic and sleep deprivation. We were pretty good at this whole survival thing. Until our comrade joined us.

My squad were all low on food and water. We had just used our last resources finding the comrade of ours who had recently washed up on shore from a shipwreck with nothing more than a pistol and a radio. after several raiding we managed to secure a Lee Einfield for him with plentiful ammo, even a frag grenade, but food was scarce. we hadn't eaten for almost a day, and our canteens were down to our last few drops. we stumbled across a field and came upto a small country town; a few barns, some cabins, you know the sort. problem was it seemed to be a pretty popular tourist destination right before the infection hit...

we got down on our stomachs and dragged ourselves across the dirt. I could feel my arms being rubbed raw. The beasts were no more than a few meters from us, but me and my teammate had learned they had poor vision, and worse hearing, keep low and slow and we would make it. or so we thought...

we got to the outskirts of town, right next to a house, when i hunched over zombie started to hop over to us. we froze in fear, hoping he would hop over us or hop away. i started to panic. we all watched him, dead quiet, waiting for the moment of judgement.

he jumped right into my team mate, who fired off a quick shot as soon as it made contact. it was as if we had entered a soccer stadium full of fans. the screams drowned out all other noise. we sprung to our feet and spread out to 5 meters to cover each other. i looked down the hill at the few in the field sprinting at us, while Comrade and my teammate took out the monsters in town.

just as i finished the field off i spun around to see one of those... things right in my face. i jumped back and pulled my pistol up to get a shot at his unbeating heart, when i heard the crack of a Lee Einfield, then my world went black.

I awoke on the outskirts of a major industrial town overlooking the coast with a bandage around my waist, some painkillers in a backpack next to me and a massive ache in my lower back. an ambulance was embedded in a tree in front of me...

The end :D

few notes:

I do know the names of the towns, Gvodzno and Elektro, respectively

The comrade was in fact, my brother, who to this day has been the result of my death in DayZ twice, and Vanilla once.

back in the glory days of 1.5.3

Obviously dramatized for, well, dramatic effect xD

Hope you enjoyed it :P

I ended up in the middle of the forest when I login to a server, but it didn't bother me. So I started off in a random direction hopeing to find a town and eventually I arrived near Kamenka. I alerted 3 zeds on my way in but managed to take care of them with my winchester without alerting others. I begin to stealth around to open buildings in hopes of finding some more ammo for my winny and some mags for my empty 1911. I began crawling through a field trying to work my way to a brick building with promises of ammo. I stay out of the zed's new LoS by not crossing thier body direction and trying to defeat thier angles. I had some zeds within 8ft of me without alerting them and with all the frustration i've had with the new aggro mechanics, i can say it was terrifying.

I manage to get in the building without being noticed and begin looking through the loot while avoiding the windows. I can hear the zeds just outside and my heart starts beating a bit faster as I frantically look for ammo. I pick up some tin cans incase I need a distraction, chuckling to myself as I never saw them as anything but a waste of time yet they're a necessity now. I find a hunting knife and I slowly move into the last room when I hear what sounds like 20 something angry zeds coming for me. However it wasn't me they were after, it was a female survivor without any equipment. I go prone and hope she'll take that horde straight to the next town but instead she runs right into my building.

I remain prone and watch as she runs through the hallway bringing the zeds inside. As I watch the doorway a lone zed walks by the hallway. I'm thinking hes going for her but thenhe turns his attention to me. I shoot him knowing whats coming next when all of a sudden the female surcivor runs into my room bleeding, looking for something to defend herself with when she sees me...

I type in chat, "i'm friendly, i can bandage you." but she runs back into the hallway onlymto be knocked down. I can hear her screams as the zeds eat her. I have no means to save her and my only worry now is to get out without a train of zeds trying to kill me. I try to throw a bottle out of the window but it helps none. Whichever zed wasnt eating her was coming after me. I began shooting and killed about 28 before I ran out of ammo. I look around the room for more shells and I see two piles of them. I go to the first and it was 2rd shells. I frantically move to the second pilenof shells hoping its 1866 while more zeds funnel through the door.

Yes! They're 1866 slugs and I begin loading them into my winny while the zeds get closer. I think to myself I need to kill just enough of them so that I can get out of this building. I didnt count my shots as I could barely think, but I killed enough to make room for the exit. I sprinted straight to the forest and to my suprise only one zed was after me. I turn around while there was some distance between us...take aim...*click*...no ammo. So i ran and ran through the trees until I turned around and he wasn't there behind me. I dont know how I lost him but I'm alive and thats all that matters.

I've never been more immersed into a game in all my life.

Last night, I happen to come across a pretty geared corpse and looted some binoculars off of it amongst other nifty things. Since I was pretty well geared and stocked I decided to make a trip trekking into the woods. After several minutes I came across a barn and well and decided to scope it out from a distance.

From my binos I saw one guy clearing out the zeds to stock up on water and supplies. I was contemplating on if I should go down and approach him or not. Luckily, before I made my decision I see someone coming down the other side of the hill towards the barn where the first guy was.

All I saw in direct chat was "FRIENDLY" from the new guy and then shots fired and the first guy walked out and proceeded to scale another hill away from the barn.

The stupid part of me decided to track him and thinking I was in a far enough distance where he can't spot me I prone and watch. Then for a split second I lost sight of him and when I came around to where he was he was eyes on with a sniper scope to my face. I failed to roll and ended my spying. Guess he didn't like being watched.

Even though I lost all the great gear I found it was pretty satisfying for that brief moment. I know it's a pretty mundane story but I thought it was a nifty experience teaching me to be a lot more careful spying on people.

Can not wait for more adventures today!

Me and about 4 people decided to team together and loot out cherno. So we all go in at night and find it is fully lit up with flares. On top of the bank is a single survivor. he allows us up and we all group as a looting party. As cherno was lit like a christmas tree, more groups showed up and joined up until we had a party of about 15-20 people :D We were about to move out as a large party of zombie slaying noob busters...when the server reset as 1.7.1.5 had just come out...gutted xD

I duct through an opening in a brick wall and find a corner I can defend from. I un sling my Ak and check the mag, 30 rounds. I wait, moments later I can see a figure with a long gun of some sort come through the opening, I am shaking badly I fire, striking dirt on either side! The image swings the gun around my direction, I can hear Zeds responding to my gun fire, everything slows down. I aim for the middle of the fussy out line, firing again and again, this time hitting solid, I hear bones break and the cry of a survivor as he falls over. I wait, 3 zeds wander in, I quickly kill them off, 5 rounds left in the AK mag. I search the body of the survivor. Two cans of beans and some makorav Mags. I grab those and scurry back to the tree line...I stagger and fall, as I fall I hear the sound of another walker running toward me, my own scream is the last thing I hear as the zeds teeth tear into my stomach ripping the flesh from my body, I pass out, then see black.

SIDE NOTE: The survivor actually tried to let me know he was friendly but had startled me to the point that I felt I had to shoot. I did miss hitting on either side of him at first, but when that shotgun swung around, I opened up on him firing untill he went down.

June 20th, 2012

character: DocHoppy

Ah Elektro, big city of many broken dreams. I have dreams, dreams of finding some beans and water, maybe a gun, and getting out of dodge. So far I had manage to avoid zeds, and bandits. I made my way to an office building I thought may have some supplies. I crawl in, in the distance I hear gun fire. I searched from ground floor up, some body left a makarov laying on the ground with a couple of mags.

"This day is looking up already!", I whispered to myself. I search some more and come across a watch and a couple of cans of soda, 2 bandages and a box of pain killers. As I am crawling around on the third floor, I hear a couple of zeds, chasing some one, I can hear their desperation, and it sounds like they are coming my way.

I quickly duck back in the building, make my way to the second floor, only to see a man with a double barrel shotgun crouched and looking my way.

"Crap!", I exclaim as I back pedal into the corner. "This is no good!", I growl to myself. I quickly duck past the shotgun weilding citizen and out a door to the second floor roof. I duck around the corner hoping he doesn't follow.

Seconds later, I see the barrel of the shot gun swing around the corner aiming my way. I wait for a second hoping that maybe this stranger is friendly. I get my answer seconds later when he lets loose both barrels, grazing my shoulder and neck, barely missing my head. I unload the full magazine from the makarov into this guys face, reload and keep firing, he falls to the ground, dead. I struggle to keep upright, step forward and fall down into semi unconscious. As I lay there bleeding all I could think was why?

I was wondering around Elektrozavodsk by myself looking for gear. I came across a M14 red dot in the medical camp with 5 mags. It was a good thing I found it when I did. I had a huge mob of zombies running after me. Note to my fellow survivors: Zombies can walk through the medical tent walls. Despite being bitten multiple times, I was able to fend off the zombies and escape. I made my way to a nearby house and continue to engage the 20ish zombies trying to eat my brain. When the dust settled, my blood was low. Luckily, an unarmed survivor wondered in to my building. He said over his mic he was friendly. I asked him to apply my blood pack on me and he cheerfully complied. Seeing how he helped me, I invited him to join me on my lonely quest. He said "sure, but can we stop by the apartments. I want to see if weapons spawned yet." I was more than glad to assist him; he did save my life after all.

We approached the apartment building with a dozen zombies following us. My new companion entered the red apartment building first while I defended our new fortress against the invading hoards. I was down to 2 mags when I had to retreat up the stairs. I was hit a few times and could not aim steadily. As I entered the room on the top floor I saw my companion at the end of the hallway. He did not find a weapon so I thought to myself "oh great, mission was a bust." Right when I turned around I saw the barrel of an M16 pointing at my face. Before I could react, two quick bursts took me out. It was a trap and I was lured into it perfectly.

On my next spawn, I was very close to Elektrozavodsk so I proceeded back to my grave hoping to confront my attackers. Along the way, I picked up a Winchester and 2 clips. Upon arriving at the Apartment complex, I took up position on a tall structure adjacent to the traitor’s position. From my nest, I had full vision of the entire area. As destiny would have it. Right when I got into position, the two traitors emerged from their lair. I killed the m16 guy with one shot from my rifle. My former companion continued to crouch walk, not realizing his buddy is dead. My second shot missed. The third shot send my victim to the ground. I watched as he laid there bleeding. Miraculously the wounded rat regained consciousness. I watched him desperately bandage himself. Right when he’s done bandaging. I finished him off. The message on screen confirmed the kill.

I would remain at my tower, venting and killing three more survivors before dying at the hands of a ladder (pisto climbing bug).

I met some friendly guy yesterday (for once).

He asked me If I needed something, I said food, he wanted to give me two cans but I only took one.

I asked him what he needed and he said he was looking for weapons, so I told him "If you can tell me which town this is, I could lead you to some weapons."

He said we were in Cherno, I told him there were weapon at the airfield like 1 km from Cherno, so we took the road, carefully.

We walked and walked, being attacked from time to time but he had an axe and I found a Shotgun on our way.

Turned out we weren't in Cherno before but in Elektro as we were reaching the small village in-between (don't remember its name). He went inside a barn while I was covering him, but one of them attacked by surprise and I had a broken leg and like 400 blood left.

I told him to go on without me and that I'll make a last stand, taking as much of them as I can into the grave.

He didn't wan't too, and he went seaching for morphine while I was looking for zeds to provoke so I could fight them and die so my new friend could think about himself.

But he came back pretty fast, he found a blood pack not far and transfused me while I was passed out.

I regained hope as my blood was full, even though I had a broken bone. He left in search of morphine again while i was lying there, hoping he'd be back soon enough.

Five minutes later he told me through the side channel: "Bad news... I have a broken bone too".

"Oh my God", I answered, "Let's die like men then".

"It was an honor knowing you Smile"

I got on my knees, and started picking the zeds one by one with my shotgun until I was out of bullets. My friend died, but befire I was out of ammo, the zeds were out of reinforcements.

"I'm still alive", I thought, now what do I do....

I stood there for a few 30 seconds, then a message popped in the side chat.

"Scott: Anyone has blood please? I'm in Cherno hospital"

"Scott", i remembered that name from half an hour ago, he was displaying the same message, I thought I was going to help him when I reached Cherno if he still needed it. Apparently he did but this time I couldn't reach Cherno with a broken leg.

"I'll transfuse you if you bring me morphine" I told him.

"Ok I'll bring if I find some"

"There must be plenty of it in the hospital you're in"

"Yes, I found some, where are you"

"I'm in Pridoroky"

"I don't know where it is"

"It's just between Cherno and Elektro, just follow the railroad, I'll wait in front of the train station"

"Ok I'm on my way".

I dragged myself in front of the train station, adjusting my position as zeds were getting my scent and closing in. I waited, and waited. What is he doing, he's he alright?

"I'm being chased by zeds" he said

I counted my bullets left, I had 4.

"How many of them?" I asked

"6"

"I only have 4 bullets left".

He didn't answer until a few minutes later.

"I was trying not to led them to you, but now I'm pinned in the lighthouse"

The lighthouse was in the opposite direction he came from, it was as far West as Cherno was far East.

I had some flares, "hang in there" I told him "I'm coming to lure them out".

"No, it's too late, they can climb ladders, I didn't know they could do that.... I'm going to jump down and kill myself, if you get in there in less than 15 minutes, my body will still be here and you can take the morphine, good luck!"

And he threw himself off the lighthouse. As I was still emotionally drained by the sacrifice of this friend I never saw, and by the other one who took the road with me, I dragged myself to the lighthouse, hoping to make it in time.

As I was crawling, time was flying, merciless as ever.

I finally reached it.

I looked around... nothing.

Double-checked, Triple-checked, there was no sign of my never-seen friend or of the morphine he was carrying.

I climbed the ladder to see if maybe, it could be up there, maybe zeds got to him before he could jump.

Nothing up there. It was just me and the sea.

I sat down and stared at the horizon, the tide seemed refreshing.

I pulled a water bottle out of my bagpack, and said out loud to myself:

"Here's to Taytay and Scott, the bravest men this goddam zombie apocalypse took away"

I drank bottoms up.

Took a last long stare at the sea, and I jumped.