rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.3 (community edition)

I know this will be basically talking to a wall but here it goes.

For the people whining about the new combat log prevention system

As someone that has already played with this system implemented (in DayZ Redux):

1. If anyone fires a gun or uses a hatchet in the vicinity you are marked as in combat. Then a new icon starts flashing and you got a countdown timer starting at 30 seconds. It will refresh if another shot is fired. This means you can't log out normally and ALT+F4 is neutralized.

2. If you do leave the game by other means (task Manager, timeout, power outage, or whatever) a global announcement will be displayed. Example: Miltrivd (COMBAT LOG).

3. Death when combat logging is not in effect.

Now there are a few things that most complainers seem to be having problems grasping.

What does it mean to be in combat?

We will first understand that firing a weapon (or using a hatchet, it will consider both for this explanation) is a hostile action by itself and therefore initiates combat (be it yourself, towards you, or nearby you). It is a one sided action that involves one, two, or more parties, there is no required agreement or acceptance needed to establish a combat situation; the only requirement is the existence of a hostile action. So it doesn't matter if you don't like or don't want to be in combat, if a weapon is being fired you are effectively in combat.

Combat ends when there is no hostile activity for 30 seconds.

· If you keep shooting, you'll stay in combat

· if you keep being shot at, you'll stay in combat.

· If you run away far enough the timer will go down and you'll stop being in combat.

· If you kill your enemies and stop shooting for 30 seconds, you'll stop being in combat.

· If you both agree to stop shooting for 30 seconds, you'll stop being in combat.

Now as per zombies, the combat situation doesn't magically change, you are still shooting, just because they are zombies it doesn't mean the hostile activity changed nature in any way. I know a lot of people does combat log when fighting zombies to make them despawn. That is effective combat logging and abuse of a simple exploit in the game mechanics. Sadly, you can still abuse this if you just stop shooting, wait 30 seconds, then log off.

For people claiming to be trolled from afar and such, is the same situation, you are being fired upon, you ARE in combat, it doesn't matter if you can't retaliate, you are in a hostile situation and that what combat is.

Now for the arguments about power outage, crashes, timeout. If that happens when you are in the middle of combat, you are most likely going to die due lack of input to your character while in a hostile situation and since is not a common situation and outside the boundaries of the game itself, there is no way to control or prevent it. Since the character is not being killed automatically when combat logging, there isn't really a discussion to have here. Best solution would be to make your avatar stay in game until the combat timer expires, but that's not implemented at the moment (and could still be abused).

Edited by Miltrivd
  • Like 7

Everyone posting insightful comments are right. The mod is perfect as it is right now in every way, don't try to improve it in any way or test anything that could possibly work out really well but have a slight chance to be a mess. Just leave it as it is. By the way, don't waste time on new features for the standalone, just release it right now. It is perfect and trying new stuff is never a good idea.

Is that a joke. I'm not sure if serious.

Everyone posting insightful comments are right. The mod is perfect as it is right now in every way, don't try to improve it in any way or test anything that could possibly work out really well but have a slight chance to be a mess. Just leave it as it is. By the way, don't waste time on new features for the standalone, just release it right now. It is perfect and trying new stuff is never a good idea.

xKZUk.gif

• Like 1

Is that a joke. I'm not sure if serious.

Of course I am serious.

• Like 1

So now we are going to be punished for attempting to avoid death by god mode hackers. Good thinking.

It's a Necessary Evil :-p

Think of it this way; they have to design features around fair gameplay, not hackers. Allowing combat logging just because it protects you from hackers is not something you want to see on a feature list. The hacking issue must be dealt with by other means.

As players, we can deal with it by finding better servers.

Thanks to all who have worked on this!

• Like 2

I really look forward to active whiteshitlist scanner on server - if you have illegal shit, skin etc. you drop dead - like a police sniper killed ya and judge standing by and nodding IRL...

That would really made my day!

Why is not everyone using scripts to allow commands only from server and players that are visible and have legal stuff? That would leave only noobtubers.

I could see this as a firewall (droping shit packets or modifying them) that can be used for server and client.

Is someone up for the task?

I for one think its great, awesome work to all involved, community and devs.

For those concerned with the combat logging when being attacked by hackers, remember it works both ways, example being, if a hacker spawns behind you with an as50 and blows your head off, they are now in a predicament.

Think about it....

• Like 1

Also adding a few last moment changes

* [uPDATED] ItemWire loot reduced from 0.06 to 0.01

* [uPDATED] PartEngine loot updated from 0.01 to 0.03

* [uPDATED] ItemToolbox loot updated from 0.02 to 0.06

* [uPDATED] Version info is now displayed correct

We are just checking the last few items on our change log.

• Like 12

Also adding a few last moment changes

* [uPDATED] ItemWire loot reduced from 0.06 to 0.01

* [uPDATED] PartEngine loot updated from 0.01 to 0.03

* [uPDATED] ItemToolbox loot updated from 0.02 to 0.06

* [uPDATED] Version info is now displayed correct

We are just checking the last few items on our change log.

Sorry to be a bother, but just to clarify, does the updated UI control refer to the DayZ UI in game options and does this mean that the character status (hunger, blood, temp etc) show correctly when the debug UI is displayed?

Thanks in advance, great work so far.

look great. I can't wait

*waits*

Edited by daze23

This update never would have occurred without the tremendous involvement of community members and server hosters. Huge effort and coordinated by R4Z0R49 particularly.

Hi Rocket. I can then assume that the ridiculous stuck at loading screen bug has been fixed? That is the only times many of us use Alt F4. As it is now, we keep being sent back to the dang beach due to this bug.

Please do not implement more alt f4 restrictions if this bug is not fixed. Based on your 1.7.3 statement, alt f4`ing at a loading screen will be the same as combat logged?

Thanks for the great game and your time.

Hi Rocket. I can then assume that the ridiculous stuck at loading screen bug has been fixed? That is the only times many of us use Alt F4. As it is now, we keep being sent back to the dang beach due to this bug.

Please do not implement more alt f4 restrictions if this bug is not fixed. Based on your 1.7.3 statement, alt f4`ing at a loading screen will be the same as combat logged?

Alt+Tab? Ctlr+Alt+Del?

Bring on the combat logger fix.

• Like 1

whoops double post, please delete

Edited by The Medic

I haven't seen it mentioned but, the only part of the anti Alt-f4 thing that I don't like is if you are casually hanging out at your camp perhaps doing some target practice right before you head to bed it might kill you...I'd much rather see a live avatar, frozen in place for 30 seconds that can be killed by other players.

* [NEW] New Combat System If you fire a weapon, someone fires a weapon near you, or a bullet/object impacts near you, then you go into combat. During combat, "ABORT" is disabled. If you ALT-F4/close anyway, your character is considered "combat logged" and instantly killed and leaves a body.

* [NEW] Alt-f4 is now locked and will only open your status menu.

ERRMAHHGERD! When I saw this....lets just say it was a special moment....

No, because until you get to the "Set-up Complete" screen you are not loaded into the server totally, also it would not be classed as combat logging because you need to be in "combat" first so you would need to be shot at first for the "combat" function to be triggered on your client.

• Like 1

I haven't seen it mentioned but, the only part of the anti Alt-f4 thing that I don't like is if you are casually hanging out at your camp perhaps doing some target practice right before you head to bed it might kill you...I'd much rather see a live avatar, frozen in place for 30 seconds that can be killed by other players.

IIRC they tried this and had trouble with people abusing it to clone their gear.

I really look forward to active whiteshitlist scanner on server - if you have illegal shit, skin etc. you drop dead - like a police sniper killed ya and judge standing by and nodding IRL...

That would really made my day!

Why is not everyone using scripts to allow commands only from server and players that are visible and have legal stuff? That would leave only noobtubers.

I could see this as a firewall (droping shit packets or modifying them) that can be used for server and client.

Is someone up for the task?

Something like this has already been implemented in most servers but whitelisted items aren't the problem anymore, only idiot script kiddies, script in blacklisted weapons so they just scripted in the best gear that you CAN get in DayZ. Also, public hacks aren't a problem anymore because of the more recent BattlEye updates, its the private, paid for ones that is more of a problem, you can count on that hacking WILL continue in DayZ Mod for ARMA 2: CO but will more than likely be eliminated in DayZ Standalone but sooner or later someone will be able to produce some sort of hack for it, absolutely no game or mod is safe from hacking, period.

IIRC they tried this and had trouble with people abusing it to clone their gear.

Crafty Mother Fu*BEEP*rs

As long as you wait 30 seconds, which if your just doing target practice shouldn't be too much hassle then your character will be fine. When the "Combat" function is triggered on your client it is on a timer for 30 seconds. SO as long as you stop firing and your allies stop firing for 30 seconds you can disconnect from the game without your character being killed for "combat logging".

So why the hell did they announce this patch for release today when they hadn't even quality tested it yet? Really stupid. Still, I appreciate the update.