mattlightfoot

New Standalone Screenshots released

I don't want to put too much stress on the dev team, but I have to write this.

Please try not to ruin the feel of a post soviet bloc country.

I know this game is not meant just for me or just for central europeans, and there is a budget, and there is a deadline, and the team is what it is (judging by the names all western barbarians ;) ) and the main audience is what it is (mostly western barbarians ;) ), but maybe you could do something for some slavic central and/or eastern europeans who had the misfortune to taste the soviet civilization.

Chernarus is not just a fictional country from a computer game. For me and I think for many central europeans it is special. It's hard to explain to Westerners, but It is so incredibly familiar. When I first saw a litre container in some village, I was shocked. It was almost exactly like the one standing at the back of my grandmothers house. A litre container is the first thing I'm trying to show to my friends, when I show them the game and they are like: "Oh shit!". You don't see such things in american games. The bus is not just a bus. It's a Hungarian Ikarus (I think model 260) almost like many of the busses in Poland and other central and eastern european countries 20 years ago. You can probably find some still being used (I can imagine this being a new tourist attraction in this part of the world - to ride a bus like in DayZ). I look at the interior in the game and I recognize it.

Don't make up things. The specifics of the soviet bloc makes things easier for you. Just get some pictures and ask some older people. I think the number of wardrobe models available on the market in the whole bloc could be counted on the fingers of one hand or two. (I'm exaggerating, but just a bit).

A fireplace in a village? Sure possible, but it would probably have to be custom made by the owner. A fireplace in all buildings of this kind? No way!

• Like 17

I don't want to put too much stress on the dev team, but I have to write this.

Don't make up things. The specifics of the soviet bloc makes things easier for you. Just get some pictures and ask some older people. I think the number of wardrobe models available on the market in the whole bloc could be counted on the fingers of one hand or two. (I'm exaggerating, but just a bit).

A fireplace in a village? Sure possible, but it would probably have to be custom made by the owner. A fireplace in all buildings of this kind? No way!

I agree. I'm not from a soviet country but the general architecture in France looks a lot like that (in small village I come from) so I understand what you mean.

I can hardly wait for more enterable buildings and it's great to see some screenshots. The shots are a bit CG for my taste at the moment but dirt maps will definitely help and please for the love of god tone down the bloom. Oh well, at least there isn't first person lens flare. :P

Well said. I haven't had the opportunity to visit this part of the world but I would hate to have Chernarus loose its character and turn into the same generic video game land so many games inhabit.

Love it and feel the pics are a huge step in right direction.The glass looks way better also and now I am impatient to see the improved lighting effects indoors.Just one thing that I hope you guys will do .....please make the food spawns more believable.I do not see pantry cabinets added in to the kitchens and just see a firestove and a fridge.I wonder if a closet to hold canned goods is more normal in Chenarus?Maybe a few suicides with people hanging themselves from rafters of laid down in beds with sleeping pills on night stands.;)

most older houses were built to be as self sufficient as possible, most had root cellars and wood fireplaces/stoves as gas and electricity may have been too expensive or not available...now a days however most homes are heated by gas and electricity and the wood fireplace is left out, so if this is an older eastern european town chances are most of the houses would have a fireplace or wood stove to heat the home

• Like 3

As i was looking at the pictures at tumblr, My girlfriend which is an interior designer by profession come home and i quickly told her about the new update. After seeing the tumblr photos She said "It needs more accents, the bed is ugly, table cloth is ugly, and cow-patterned curtains? c'mon!"

Guess who's gonna sleep in the couch tonight after defending my favorite game.

• Like 5

Looking great, having all the buildings enterable will make such a bit difference to Chernarus.

My only hope is that because of all these new indoor spaces that loot doesn't become too prevalent and therefore make it too easy to gear up, half the fun of this game is the search and pleasure of finding the thing you've been looking ages for.

This is really excellent work, keep it up rocket, your team is doing great! I can't wait for the official release, I'll be buying two copies one for me and one for my girl friend. One thing that would be awesome to see is maybe bodies in the houses of either suicides or victims who didn't make it. Also, I hope that looting is going to be more realistic like finding items on tables, or in cabinets, or maybe even fridges. I guess kind of a Fallout 3 type thing, but I suppose you all are already working on this with realism being the main focus for your guys. Again, excellent work, keep it up!

-Ghost Kage

@JudasGoat

I was talking about the fireplace in the second picture. I don't have the vocabulary to discuss the different kinds of stoves, but the one in the last picture is ok. I would also expect something like this

photo_9_main.jpg

and maybe something like this

kuchnie-kaflowe[32].jpg

In the kitchen.

The one from the second picture doesn't fit there.

Agreed, it looks like the 70's decorators have just visited, it all needs a grungier dirty feel.

• Like 1

The art style we are going for is more real, and gritty. More like "the road" than a zombie film style.

''The Road'' is great direction for the art.If you guys menage to capture even half the atmosphere of the movie it will be brutal.

Btw do you need concept artist,texture guy or modeler?Buildings,weapons,any kind of props,textures, i will be glad to help with some of that.

• Like 2

Looking great so far, I think we all appreciate the sneak peak, even if it is particularly sneaky and peaky.

I'm just hoping that loot will be spawning in/on things other than the floor in the standalone, i'm getting old and my calves don't enjoy the constant squatting :-D

I like what I see in the pics, and I like what I read from rocket in terms of his/the teams thoughts on this art and the ideas about the game in this thread.

I also really like this guy's post. Hopefully the fack that BI is where it is will help ensure what he is talking about will happen.

Looks good apart from the rubble clipping into the kitchen, one thing I do hope is addressed is the clunky movement indoors, getting stuck in doorwars and when turning on stairs etc

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

Personally, what I like to do is look at the screenshots in quadrants, that way, I don't miss that tiny bit of detail when it comes to a screenshot -- even if it is Alpha. Just thought I'd share that with you guys :) .

Also, I do agree that the homes should feel a bit more '70s and have that grungy feel of a Soviet-controlled society. To me, the colors are a bit too vivid and kind of remind me of an old American home instead of a European one. Keep up the awesome developing, guys. I really mean it. :beans:

I'm just hoping that loot will be spawning in/on things other than the floor in the standalone, i'm getting old and my calves don't enjoy the constant squatting :-D

It would be a brilliant touch if loot spawned in more appropriate settings. Search pantry for non perishable food, winchester/shotgun above the fireplace, chests and closets for clothes ect... When you find a weapon at the NW airfield its on a dead soldier or on a barren rifle rack.

This would really help with the immersion.

• Like 4

Seems good so far but like previously said it does need to be a bit more untidy.

Also, there seems to be excess bloom or over bright reflections in some objects.

It would be a brilliant touch if loot spawned in more appropriate settings. Search pantry for non perishable food, winchester/shotgun above the fireplace, chests and closets for clothes ect... When you find a weapon at the NW airfield its on a dead soldier or on a barren rifle rack.

This would really help with the immersion.

Rocket confirmed that on twitter : "Drawers, benches, shelves. One of the advantages of being standalone rather than mod!"

Looks pretty good love the graphics man. Would be cool to see some zombie meshes and textures put at work ;D

Looks good apart from the rubble clipping into the kitchen, one thing I do hope is addressed is the clunky movement indoors, getting stuck in doorwars and when turning on stairs etc

Although I do agree, moving with a long arm indoors can be quite restrictive. I hope the indoor movement is tweaked a bit, sometimes it can just be plain fucking infuriating. Or even the interiors made a bit bigger (I'm looking at you apartment blocks), which they seem to be a bit bigger in those screens anyway. All else fails, something like the ShackTac Movement Addon would suffice.

• Like 1