mattlightfoot

New Standalone Screenshots released

...and the ability to clear each floor of zombies all the way to the top. And, until we get player created bases, having the ability to fortify buildings such as the hotel, could make for some great player driven content.

But unless the zed spawn is rebuilt, that'll be impossible.

Just an idea : climbing and jumping through windows. Would be amazing to escape a house full of zed by diving through a window, at the risk of breaking your leg.

While blood spattered hallways are fun, but I think more evidence of people's lives being frozen in time are far more distressing; at least to me. Children's toys on the floor, half-cooked/burnt meals on the stove, phone off the hook, that sort of thing. When my grandfather passed I wasn't upset till I had to deal with tidying up his house. Cleaning out the fridge, seeing the half eaten sandwich that he was never going to finish, the reminders for doctor's appointments that were moot now, that is what finally made me break down.

As a survivor going through somebody's house I think seeing a post-in on the wall reminding a child to take their school lunch, and that mommy loves them, would have more impact on what has been lost then a bloody hand-print.

my 2 cents

While that is interesting there MUST be a messy, dirty and bloody look to most areas, without overdoing it off course. Everything tidy will take all the immersion of it.

What you mention has a place in the game indeed but has to be in somewhat small fractions.

• Like 1

That looks amazing as always Rocket you do some off the best work along with your team. Could we get some screenshots off how nighttime will be inside?

Will lights be flicking on and off etc?

Could we fix lights?

Lamps turn on and off?

Are you focus on just how daytime looks at the moment or do you have some plans for nighttime?

All of you asking for "lived" in look, blood, decor changes, and other changes. He said this was first pass....FIRST pass....ALPHA!!!!!!!!!...I kid.

But seriously having done some minor modeling, texturing, and mapping you have to get the basics setup before you can go back in and "pretty" it up. Trying to go from concept straight to finish product is a disaster. They got this...they are pros.

Concerning the European feel to the town and vicinity I could not agree more, and I say this as a dirty American yank. Maybe in the future they could release a new Island with American style (don't flame please), but until then stick with how you started. It is amazing and I have never been this immersed in game since the Stalker series.

To me the Eastern European developers are on a level all of their own. Love the stuff.

Good luck Rocket and crew...we are counting on you!

Looks great for alpha-modelled interiors. My only suggestions in the architecture and furniture are so bear and basic. There's no furniture or design to the houses that make you think that someone once lived there. Now I know people are asking for more messy/bloodstained/decrepit interiors, but I also would like to see curtains half hanging off windows, windows and doors boarded up, beds messy, couches used as barricades etc.

As it is, they just look like hollow shells with a few pieces of furniture lazily thrown in there to help people recognise it as a house. Again, I'm positive you guys know this and will more then likely build on this, so I have no doubts it'll be amazing when we finally get it.

Also, I'm pro-jumping thru the windows idea

• Like 2

For people who wants more gore/blood IG... Why not make players body stay a lot longer in the world and slowly start to rot and decay ? Also after a gunfight or someone is hurt the blood splashes (decals) could stay a while.

And those decomposed bodies would be filthy and hazardous to survivors . This could be like that poo mechanic Rocket's been talking about .

Players are going to die eventually , and when they die from other players or zeds or stairs their bodies will persist and decay . Over time hot spots like Cherno or NWAF will be full of corpses . These hotspots could pose a hazard to survivors . Let's say there could be a % chance in the diameter of a dead body or pile of dead bodies where diseases can be contracted .

The longer the body has decayed the greater the % of contracting a number of different diseases associated with rotting bodies .

These corpses could infect water sources if they are killed in or near them . Causing % chance of Diarrhea ( increased thirst ) or some other illness when taking a sip out of a lake of floating bodies . Boiling your water would be a smart move .

Bodies could pose a significant threat to survivors . There would be more consequence to killing a player . Tactics may change to avoid killing players around your base or favorite loot spot .

Options to dispose of bodies using fire or burying . Ability to transport bodies for various purposes .

Loot on a dead player could have a % chance of transmitting a disease .

So disinfecting items with let's say some " germX " will clean that item . What comes to mind when I think of disinfecting is bathing. Perhaps bathing could be an option that would reduce % chance of diseaseX and what not . Those Hazmat suits you see in every apocalypse movie could provide maximum protection from disease .

I believe this is in the ballpark of what Rocket said about poo so this is just to jog his memory and maybe inspire him.

I apologize for any ramble .

Maybe I should have made an original post out of this but I feel this was appropriate responding to your comment .

Here are some relevant links : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080521010421AAZH1Pq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_risks_from_dead_bodies

Edited by Zdudeski
  • Like 2

I may be pessimist.. but i do not see anything different by now, i mean between the current mod and the expected early version of the stand alone game. I'm convinced that the game mechanic will be the same, and the cheaters will be there as well, maybe we won't have teleports and vehicle spawn, but god mode and ESP will be there.. and this is bad.

I may be pessimist.. but i do not see anything different by now, i mean between the current mod and the expected early version of the stand alone game. I'm convinced that the game mechanic will be the same, and the cheaters will be there as well, maybe we won't have teleports and vehicle spawn, but god mode and ESP will be there.. and this is bad.

How could you say that? I mean, You haven't played it yet, surely. This has been posted alot (People thinking that Standalone is gonna be the hacker fest like the mod), you should really do research more and lurk more in the forums before making such a claim. :)

Im sure standalone turn out better than anyones expectations with all those details and polishing but I got only one concern: sound. If any dev reading this: I know you already decided with engine and all that but please if you still have a chance, at least imlement openal ..Im not sure if its an easy process but I bet lots of people enjoy the game more. Even realtek is now have 3d soundback to use hardware sound with win7-8 so please do something about sounds. Lot of ppl will like dayz more if you improve sounds. Even minecraft support hardware sound. Please rocket, you always say minecraft model is the way to go.

• Like 1

Im sure standalone turn out better than anyones expectations with all those details and polishing but I got only one concern: sound. If any dev reading this: I know you already decided with engine and all that but please if you still have a chance, at least imlement openal ..Im not sure if its an easy process but I bet lots of people enjoy the game more. Even realtek is now have 3d soundback to use hardware sound with win7-8 so please do something about sounds. Lot of ppl will like dayz more if you improve sounds. Even minecraft support hardware sound. Please rocket, you always say minecraft model is the way to go.

Agree. Having a sound processing system with realistic reverb would be really cool for immersion. Imagine hearing a gunshot in the distance and then echoing all around so you can't really tell the direction. Or your footsteps being amplified on the metal floor of a factory and becoming extremely loud... Even the zed shouting would sound much more terryfing!

Edited by Bat

How could you say that? I mean, You haven't played it yet, surely. This has been posted alot (People thinking that Standalone is gonna be the hacker fest like the mod), you should really do research more and lurk more in the forums before making such a claim. :)

I know the engine ... that's it. I'm just telling ppl to not raise their expectations to the sky, or they will be deluded. I'm just pointing em to a realistic scenario: be prepared.

Coz i've seen ppl here believing that the cheaters will magically disappear, since the "scripting" will be stripped out.. well not, the WHOLE engine is based on scripting, they are closing it to the final user, but they cannot eliminate it from the game. To have some chances of limiting the current number of cheaters, they needs to rewrite the engine from scratch (so those hackers wouldn't have a base to start from), but it's something that you can't do in the given time-frame (and money wise).

Pics are awesome.

I reckon you guys should be more creative with heli crash sites too, instead of putting them in fields, think about it, a trained helicopter pilot wouldnt crash into a blank field (unless there was a thunderstorm or something like that.) Try putting them hung up in trees or crammed into the side of a tallish building or if there was like, a thunderstorm the previous night on the server, putting them in blank fields. Let the player have more options with the helicopter site (players can find the last radio transmissions of how the helicopter actually crashed where they did. Such as, if the heli got caught up in a storm or supposedly shot down by non existent NPC bandits, then the player could hear the last radio transmission of the pilot saying like:"We've been _____ and we're going down, mayday mayday.. bla bla screams crash *end transmission*.") Actually give the heli sites a story behind them, and maybe different types of heli's, like military heli's carrying heavy weapons, medical helis carrying medical supplies, or transport heli's carrying miscellaneous items.

• Like 1

Actually I'd think a skilled pilot would TRY to bring it down in a field to maximize the chances of surviving the accident. But I like the idea of different choppers with different supplies. Not so big on the cockpit voice recorder, because you wouldn't have a way to play it.

We want MORE!

And perhaps a rough estimate on a release date. please? :)

I hope you can shoot through those windows. Imagine being in the house and engage in combat with someone on the outside. Never seen it happen in the Day-z mod. So this would be a welcome feature.

Edited by Varasalvi

We want MORE!

And perhaps a rough estimate on a release date. please? :)

I think the rough estimate is before Christmas :)

Since i cant pm you rocket im just gunna put it here.

Hi Rocket, I just wanted to say that I love what you have created. I've Been a fan of the ArmA series from the start and have had the box sets for years. I love the feel of the game and can honestly say day z is the only game that I've even felt my heart racing hiding behind a wall with enemies close. One time I was in the military tents in starry, my first time there actually, and I just picked up a akm and was scavenging ammo for it when in my headphones I heard a can of soft drink crack open and being drank right outside the tent. At first I wasn't sure and asked my buddies on team speak If they just cracked open a tinny as the sound is so real. My heart was pumping as I knew contact was imminent. I prepared myself and as he entered the door he opened fire, I returned the favor and scored myself a dmr out of it. These type of experiences are what make this game so great. The realism is amazing, please don't ever detract from this. I absolutely love day z and can't wait to support the stand alone. I only wish I could do more now. If you ever need someone to help "testing" let me know. As a former Australian defense force op spec com I'm with you all the way. I love just running trough the bush with my gun and the unknown element. Anyway I hope you made it through my message. Keep up the good work ad don't let the childish wingers get to you. You have done something amazing and I hope you reap the rewards soon enough. I wish you and your family all the best and look forward to playing day z for a long time.

Yours sincerely

NimrodAUS

• Like 5

Pics are awesome.

I reckon you guys should be more creative with heli crash sites too, instead of putting them in fields, think about it, a trained helicopter pilot wouldnt crash into a blank field (unless there was a thunderstorm or something like that.) Try putting them hung up in trees or crammed into the side of a tallish building or if there was like, a thunderstorm the previous night on the server, putting them in blank fields. Let the player have more options with the helicopter site (players can find the last radio transmissions of how the helicopter actually crashed where they did. Such as, if the heli got caught up in a storm or supposedly shot down by non existent NPC bandits, then the player could hear the last radio transmission of the pilot saying like:"We've been _____ and we're going down, mayday mayday.. bla bla screams crash *end transmission*.") Actually give the heli sites a story behind them, and maybe different types of heli's, like military heli's carrying heavy weapons, medical helis carrying medical supplies, or transport heli's carrying miscellaneous items.

There is a good idea right there regarding the stories behind the heli crash sites, hope Rocket and team can include them in the standalone dayz game.

Edited by RockerJC
  • Like 1

think about it, a trained helicopter pilot wouldnt crash into a blank field (unless there was a thunderstorm or something like that

Yes that's correct, it is impossible for a helicopter to crash in an open field. Experienced pilots ALWAYS steer towards obstacles such as forests, rocks, buildings and large flocks of birds that will almost certainly kill everyone on board rather than try to ditch in the clear. Scientists can't explain it, and have even tried attaching upside-down cats to the rotor blades of hovering helicopters above open fields, but even that doesn't work - the helicopter JUST FLOATS THERE UPSIDE DOWN

21 12 2012 no doubt

I for one welcome our new solar federation overlords.

• Like 2

Yes that's correct, it is impossible for a helicopter to crash in an open field. Experienced pilots ALWAYS steer towards obstacles such as forests, rocks, buildings and large flocks of birds that will almost certainly kill everyone on board rather than try to ditch in the clear. Scientists can't explain it, and have even tried attaching upside-down cats to the rotor blades of hovering helicopters above open fields, but even that doesn't work - the helicopter JUST FLOATS THERE UPSIDE DOWN

I for one welcome our new solar federation overlords.

LOL as funny as this is and it made me laugh I don't think he means it like that.... I think he's saying that in an open field the helicopter wouldn't be a crash site... It would just be a controlled landing and so therefore a "whole" helicopter and not a crash site.... We're in a forest (if the pocket couldn't make it to the clearing) it would be a crash site.....

But I just realised as I was typing this..... The helicopter crashed because the pilot/crew changed into zombies while flying (hence why the zombies at the crash site are dressed as helicopter crew) and so couldn't do a controlled landing so it would still be a crash site :-)

I hope you can shoot through those windows. Imagine being in the house and engage in combat with someone on the outside. Never seen it happen in the Day-z mod. So this would be a welcome feature.

ive killed lots o... i mean ive defended myself against lots o bandits through windows in the mod... im sure it would be the same in the standalone