ersan

HFB, Vilayer, and DayZCommander need to knock this crap off..

Okay.

So sadly, I'm not as educated about arma2 as most of you might have thought and didn't do the research first before adding to commander. I very naively thought that all the maps that have been coming out (other than Lingor) were just standard arma2 maps with the dayz/zombies mod added. If there was any question in not respecting someone's license, I would have not included it. Again, I blame myself for not researching more thoroughly. I'm going to address this. My sincere apologies.

Josh

Please don't do anything rash! If you could add other sources of the map hosting that would be O.K (Providing owners are repsected) But please don't stop all new maps updates.

• Like 1

It's important to me that the ~700k people who have downloaded dayzcommander have an easy/successful experience. if people install new mods via commander, and they can't join any servers because there are so few and the ones that are there are full, I do not consider that a good experience.

One thing I want to add support for was requested here: http://forums.dayzcommander.com/index.php?/topic/73-custom-mapmod-package-manager/ I think that would open commander up more to up and coming mods.

• Like 2

And for ruining DayZ by adding Ospreys, Mk2 HMMVWE and more. Great job dickhead vilayer.

No one is making you play maps with content you do not like... Play charnarus... Enjoy.

And for ruining DayZ by adding Ospreys, Mk2 HMMVWE and more. Great job dickhead vilayer.

that ruined your DayZ experience?

script kiddy's do not?

No one is making you play maps with content you do not like... Play charnarus... Enjoy.

Enjoy playing Arma with zombies as a side dish. I see constantly people saying they dont like arma but like dayz, yet play vilayers fucking failports of maps which more resemble arma 2 then dayz. rofl.

Where did I said that? Two wrongs don't make a right. he can be killing babies for all I care, that doesn't make ViLayer actions right in any way.

Please explain why you are only mad at Vilayer then... Why do you bash a company that offers server hosting... and also adds content for the community to have for FREE?

It's important to me that the ~700k people who have downloaded dayzcommander have an easy/successful experience. if people install new mods via commander, and they can't join any servers because there are so few and the ones that are there are full, I do not consider that a good experience.

One thing I want to add support for was requested here: http://forums.dayzco...ackage-manager/ I think that would open commander up more to up and coming mods.

I would like to see you remove the link to vilayers website, if you are not affiliated or benefiting financially this shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

Enjoy playing Arma with zombies as a side dish. I see constantly people saying they dont like arma but like dayz, yet play vilayers fucking failports of maps which more resemble arma 2 then dayz. rofl.

DayZ is not a game... It is a MOD for ARMA2 ... wow what a waste of time this thread is...

I would like to see you remove the link to vilayers website, if you are not affiliated or benefiting financially this shouldn't be an issue.

Believe it or not, hosting the mod files uses an enormous amount of bandwidth. ViLayer gives me 6GBIT unmetered (and more if I need) of bandwidth across multiple servers all for free. I think this is more than fair for a mere *optionally* clickable link in commander. Not to mention, ViLayer is a huge part of this community and does a great job hosting tons of game servers for everyone.

• Like 1

One thing I want to add support for was requested here: http://forums.dayzco...ackage-manager/ I think that would open commander up more to up and coming mods.

If there is a demand for the map and all existing servers running it are full, don't you think more would host it?

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

That would be the cool, community-oriented thing to do. Shame on the folks that are talking about not using the tool anymore even after the creator has come here to explain things.

Issue was raised, dude came here the same day, and apologized for the situation freely admitting he was unaware of the situation. Yet some are still pissed off? I quite enjoy DayZ Commander and am glad to see Josh here to make things right.

Edited by klesh

For some reason the basic tenets of capitalism are lost on many people on the internet, I am not saying I hate or love Vilayer but I enjoy some of the easily accessible content that both Vilayer and Dayz Commander offer. I was playing Panthera before Vilayer got their hands on it and sure it was fun for the forty people who knew about it and went through the install process (not hard but sometimes things go wrong and from server to server they had different files, talk about fragmenting the community). I sort of understand the anger at Vilayer but from a strictly legal perspective they are not selling community content they are selling server hosting. They make purchasing a Vilayer server more appealing by offering easy tools for a variety of maps, but they are not selling maps (lawyered, just kidding but nothing illegal is happening).

Angry at Dayz commander, not really sure why. They are offering a launcher that is easy for the unwashed masses and do a decent job. One of the complaints about Dayz from a good amount of people interested in playing is they find the install process hard (admittedly it is not, but some people are too lazy to follow a seven step process). Also you are forced to trust files that are not always trustworthy, sure I know how to minimize that risk but not everyone does. Vilayer offers Dayz commander an easy way to access maps, why would they not take advantage of that?

TL;DR take potshots at Vilayer all you want (since some are deserved) but hating on Dayz commander seems a little misguided.

I get what your saying here. I fully support dayzcommander. Its a great, easy way for lesser pc savvy users to install the mod.

On the subject of vilayer though, i see it like this. Although Vilayer aren't selling the maps, they are using them as a marketing ploy to sell more monthly rented servers. Now this normally would be fine, IF they made the maps themselves, or asked the users permition. So in effect, vilayer is making money at icebreakr's expense.

Its like me taking a well know piece of art, hanging it in a different frame, calling it my own and selling it.

• Like 5

But if there is a demand for the map and all existing servers running it are fill, more will host it...

That's true. But how do I handle when two different people make the same map/mod? The first one always wins or the one that most people will be able to actually play right away?

Edited by dotjosh

Personal preference is just that, a preference. The marketplace of ideas should remain unfettered despite your personal distaste for specific vehicles or server hosts. If the vehicles added are unpopular and people hate them then the service that offers this will lose, since it seems to be relatively popular I think the community has spoken over the objections of purists. The Mod has been opened up, so you will see people mod the files to make it more hardcore as well as those who will mod the files to add extra content that some would label "casual" while I would use the word fun (I admit it might take away something from the original experience, but we are far beyond that at this point anyways). I actually enjoy both types, sometimes I just want some fun and I jump on a high vehicle count server and go to town and kill people without a care in the world, other times I enjoy the grind of a more hardcore environment.

Those who hate Vilayer I have a little bit of hard news, nothing is going to happen and they will most likely remain a popular hosting service.

That's true. But how do I handle when two different people make the same map/mod? The first one always wins or the one that most people will be able to actually play right away?

No, the one that's hands out free bandwidth for your software wins.

When Vilayer downloaded Lingor & Panthera with the intentions to make money from it, and just before they stole other peoples codes and claimed that it was theres, they failed to notice one thing.

"Any military or commercial use is strictly prohibited."
Regardless of what people think, Vilayer are making money from content from they own no rights to.

I hope ice does take them to court and they get what they deserve

• Like 3

DayZ is not a game... It is a MOD for ARMA2 ... wow what a waste of time this thread is...

Says the guy who needs to steal peoples codes for panthera lol, your pathetic mate

I'm trying to figure out what this means for the lingor island mod too.... considering it's the same guy who made the map, and everyone liberally hosts it. I'm not sure why no one had a problem with this one being hosted by all the server companies.

Edited by dotjosh
  • Like 3

I'm trying to figure out what this means for the lingor island mod too.... considering it's the same guy who made the map, and everyone liberally hosts it.

You should of thought about that, you could of provided the files for people to host privately. The problem is, these big hosting companies are making big money from content they do not own, whilst restricting these maps to only there servers.

Edited by Audio Rejectz

Nice propaganda.

Also:

Sure, for non-commercial purposes.

And from the map creator:

"It has come to my attention (tnx guys) that Vilayer dot com website is using my map content commercially. Guess they didn't read the file supplied with my island that states that "Any military or commercial use is strictly prohibited.""

I can put any disclaimer in front of anything I want. Doesn't mean it has any legal traction. Since they aren't making money off of the map itself, but by hosting the server, there's nothing wrong with this. Not to mention it's all about assets owned by BI, who ultimately owns them all, anyway.

It's a shame that people throwing little misinformed fits on a forum can cause so much damage to such a wonderfully thought out and designed tool. Oh, well, that's the internet for you.

• Like 6

Don't Vilayer offer buyers a choice of which map they run? If there is demand for a map, then why don't the map makers offer a DayZ version? I would sooner prefer this to a company who makes money from others work. If they make a great map, then wouldn't the makers just say no to other mod additions or editing?

Or have i got it back to front? Don't other people buy / rent servers from them?

What a mess.. I'll be uninstalling dayzcommander for sure.

You get my beans sir, i removed it with the whole panthera code stealing situation

Please explain why you are only mad at Vilayer then... Why do you bash a company that offers server hosting... and also adds content for the community to have for FREE?

You are very good in putting words in people's mouths aren't you? How do you know I'm only mad at Vilayer? If there are some other cases like this feel free to create your topics with proof and I will gladly support it. That being said, you would be an hypocrite for accusing others of doing something that you support.

And understand this one and for all, IT'S NOT VILAYER'S CONTENT! I don't give a shit if Vilayer is allowing it for free, IT'S NOT LEGAL! Pirates also put games out for free like Vilayer does to the maps but it's not legal because it's not they do not own the rights for it to start with.

I can put any disclaimer in front of anything I want. Doesn't mean it has any legal traction. Since they aren't making money off of the map itself, but by hosting the server, there's nothing wrong with this. Not to mention it's all about assets owned by BI, who ultimately owns them all, anyway.

It's a shame that people throwing little misinformed fits on a forum can cause so much damage to such a wonderfully thought out and designed tool. Oh, well, that's the internet for you.

Commercial Purposes doesn't mean selling something directly. You are completely wrong.

Edited by Timberwolf
  • Like 1