Sign in to follow this  
chris p. bacon

"Oh, it's night. Guess I'd better leave"

144 members have voted

1. 1. Are you?

• Sure are!
    • Nope!
    • Only when I don't have my NVGs and FN FAL AN/PVS, lol

I remember the G17 being pretty dang weak. It is nice to have, but we should be able to use flashlights and pistols together if we want to keep with the idea of realism here, or at least done in a way that you can easily switch between them. Something I assume that can be remedied in the standalone.

All handguns are weak. The g17 has the little light, decent sights, and it's not very loud. Just headshot the zombies in your way and you wont have the entire town coming down on you.

Wouldn't mind being able to use any handgun with a flashlight. I'm sure they've considered it.

Yeah, night would be fine if your character could HOLD THE DAMN FLASHLIGHT STRAIGHT WHEN RUNNING. Seriously, it's not that hard.

I usually leave when it becomes night.

I don't think it's anything to be ashamed about. Humans aren't nocturnal, I think it's natural to stop activity for the night and get some shut eye and continue in the morning. That's what I pretend I'm doing. When night time approaches I make my way back to camp and get some sleep for the night (so to speak) and wake up in the moring for some heli hunting!

Playing at night time isn't really thrilling for me. Using a flash light is just way too awkward. I basically can't move without my guy frantically waving it from head to toe. And even then, when indoors the cone of light seems way too small. As said above, looks like you're looking through a straw.

Crouch run with flashlight. He'll point it at the ground.

When I travel between cities I turn the flashlight on only when I need to check the terrain in front of me. Once I get a good idea of where I'm running I turn it off. When I get closer to towns I crouch run so the light is pointed at the ground. This keeps the light I'm emitting very low. I then throw a lot of flares in various directions as far as I can towards objectives. They'll burn for quite a while and the more there are the less likely someone can pick out my location. In buildings I'll throw and pick up a chemlight so I can keep my primary out and still be able to see the ground and loot. If I spot anyone I'll immediately scroll to drop the chemlight and move away from it.

This works well for me. Surviving and looting at night is pretty fun but I wouldn't suggest deathmatching this way.

Have you been out in the country with no streetlights and no moon? It's freakin DARK! I remember summer camp when I was a kid, you couldn't travel at night without a flashlight because it was pitch black. In that sense, DayZ is pretty realistic. Most other games are "tv dark" where it's just as bright as day, just with a blue tint and a black sky.

Honestly, I would rather not play at night. The lighting effects are cool and all, but I just feel it's a lot more dangerous from a PvP standpoint. Anyone still playing once the sun goes down probably has NV goggles or thermals so there's no real advantage.

I leave 90% of the time. It's just unrealistically dark, especially when clouds cover the moon. When the moon is full and out with the stars, it's not that bad, unless you're in the woods.

Edited by xSean13

I play at night and almost always without NVGs.

I killed a hacker in Cherno, picked up his AS50 TWS, his NVGs and rangerfinder and placed them in my full backpack, deleting everything without hessitation. If you got a map and a compas, natigation is pretty easy at night, just use the sound of asphalt as a reference point. You select your next waypoint, where your path crosses a road and while you can't see much, it's easy to hear when you reach it. I should clarify, when I say waypoint, I mean a mental waypoint, none of those regular-mode waypoints. When you have to enter a settlement, you use chemlights, road flares or flashlihgts.

Playing at night is a different game, more claustrophobic, 80-90% reliant on sound, less players, but you're more exposed, because many play with gamma maxed. With less players, comes less hackers, exploiters and griefers.

All in all win-win.

double-post

Edited by Dallas

It depends entirely on the tactical situation.

I regularly use night time to raid or travel through areas that are more dangerous during daylight, I don't think I've ever been to Cherno or Electro during the day. However, like Wargunner, I have no problem calling it a night if I'm not prepared to be stumbling around in the dark surrounded by zombies and psychopaths that I can't see.

A weapon with a flashlight and ideally NVGs are literally the first things I start looking for after hunting gear.

You gotta love the paranoia you get from the darkness of the night, just gotta have my military flashlight and I'll be safe :D

My favorite time in this game has been looting the NWAF at night with only the light of my G17 but then I found NVGs and it became boring =[

It's not that I find night time difficult to deal with. There's most often players with night time equipment using night time to their advantage. That's why I don't play on night time. There's more of a chance of getting killed due to players with night time equipment being more prevalent among servers in night time. Too much risk from players for too little reward. If I had a gang fully equipped for it, I would raid in night time. To explain further, you wouldn't go into the arctic without cold equipment, you wouldn't go into the night without night equipment. I mean, do you drive without headlights?

And no, flashlights do not function as adequate night time equipment. The only thing they are is a target marker for well-geared players.

Well, need I say "Military Flashlight". They work fair, and since its a red light, your eyes need less time to adjust to the darkness. Or so its meant to be in RL.

I hate the tunnel vision the NVG's give you, especially in 3rd person. Admittedly they're better then my Remi' flash light but, meh... I love my Remi'.

I remember the first time i logged in and it was dark(very dark). Had flares in my backpack, didn't want to take the risk and use them as it would give away my location. After aimlessly wandering around for about 10 minutes i decided to use my flares, so started throwing them lighting up the way.

(Long story short) Was down to just one flare and could see in the distance the slight outline of buildings, so my intentions were just throw my last flare out and pick it up. As soon as i threw it, i see another survivor on the other side of the road about 50 meters ahead of me. Straight away i go prone and roll, next thing i see is this survivor running up and taking my last flare (now you might ask why i didn't just shoot him) and to be honest i just couldn't beleive this little f#cker had stolen my last flare.

So i'm back in the pitch dark again, then in side-chat someone says "thks 4 flare lol" got to laugh, 5 minutes later i'm dead bloody infected couldn't even see them..

I personally just find this game way more immersive at night, the paranoia factor alone in the dark is quite scary then throw in the adrenaline rush you get and not forgetting your heart pounding at every sound you hear.

Couldn't tell you how many times i've leaped out of my chair...... ( I'm Just a Pussy).

(Sorry wasn't that short)

• Like 1

I'd rather play at night to be honest, more immersion, but yeah there are some servers that are hard to see on even after fiddling with brightness/gamma and HDR settings.

Yeah, I do that. I'm a pussy like that. It's mostly because it's then that I realise exactly how long I've been playing the game already.

I have more fun in the light than in the dark, I'll play early morning if its not too dark but I just have no real enjoyment at night.

same reason why I prefer the color red over the color green, its my preference. I'd sooner play one of my many other games than join an empty dayz server at night, turn the brightness/gamma up till its black and white play for 5 hours, see nobody, loot without much challenge and think golly gosh isn't this great.

Edited by Skrewy

Stay. The night brings way more advantages and immersion than during the day. I have no problem using a flashlight. I find it much more fun and pulls me into that survival horror setting better.

I don't care if other players see it, but it also does hurt NVG player eyes like flares. They're not just "targets" like players think. If you're not standing on a flare like an idiot, people can only guess where in the vincinty you are.

I say play on a night server, and use flares to lure high end equipped bandits in an ambush. They fall for it every time. Trust me.

Edited by evoxtom

i like playing at night when fresh spawned...you can get killed by random guys also in daytime...nvgs are op, unless you have only a sniper rifle..

the best thing is when you find a g17 or a remington 870 and everyone thinks that that light is your nooby flashlight...until you point that to their face and fire