venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

I played for most of the night yesterday and when I finally looted a map, I noticed that it was possible to place waypoints on it, making navigation through Chernarus extremely easy.

I know some private hive server removed the ability to add waypoints on the map, making the compass and GPS much much more valuable. Is it something you might be considering?

I think removing waypoints is in line with how I want the server/mod to operate, but I also want to make sure I'm not so restrictive that there aren't a lot of people who play. If this mod becomes popular, I'd like to do something like that as well. I'll also remove it if/when I get this other new mechanic in place that I want to do. Ugh, so many cool things I want to work on and only a finite amount of time to work on them.

Finally, registration worked now.

First, hi to all forum members, DayZ players and DayZ devs. I'm Fastj@ck from germany.

Signed up because this post / modrelease.

Great thanks venthos for amazing work and don't listen to the flamers, they can't do it better and i still love your fixes and goals.

I don't care, if you removed the snipers or silenced weapons. I can live with your changes without sleepless nights.

I will visit your server asap and send you my GUID for the whitelist. No worries about me, i'm not a hacker or else or smacktard.

I will give it a try and i'm sure i will love it too. I also made a post on our veterans-gaming forum to inform our members because we have much ArmA2 and DayZ players and i believe they will like it too.

@Hombre: is that you bro? Our former PR chopper pilot?

best regards,

FJ

Yeah that happens in vanilla DayZ, too. When i made the crowbar beltable and droppable it did the same thing. I think it's just how "tool" items drop per the engine. I'd have to make it a "weaponholder" object and add the weapon into that vs just dropping the weapon... which I think I can do... I'll look.

Haha. Rocket has droves more experience than I do in this arena. I just started self-teaching myself ARMA2 scripting the other weekend. I do have reasonable development experience, though. It's what I make a living doing, after all. Some of the stuff (like preventing gear from being eaten when moving from inventory -> full bag/vehicle) can't be fixed without engine changes. But so far a lot of stuff has been fixable as well (and I think the axe thing is one of them).

I think it's a time constraint for him and a balancing act of whether or not he should spend time on the mod vs. time getting the standalone in our hands.

I'm honestly kind of hoping standalone gets delayed for a while... [1] I'd cry if I just get this mod purring along and somewhat popular... then standalone releases, killing my mod off. [2] I have no problems with giving Rocket lots of time to make DayZ standalone's first alpha release a robust one.

maybe you can bring your work under Rocket's attention.....

and have a little chat about your and his plan's....

Haha. Rocket has droves more experience than I do in this arena. I just started self-teaching myself ARMA2 scripting the other weekend. I do have reasonable development experience, though. It's what I make a living doing, after all. Some of the stuff (like preventing gear from being eaten when moving from inventory -> full bag/vehicle) can't be fixed without engine changes. But so far a lot of stuff has been fixable as well (and I think the axe thing is one of them).

I think it's a time constraint for him and a balancing act of whether or not he should spend time on the mod vs. time getting the standalone in our hands.

I'm honestly kind of hoping standalone gets delayed for a while... [1] I'd cry if I just get this mod purring along and somewhat popular... then standalone releases, killing my mod off. [2] I have no problems with giving Rocket lots of time to make DayZ standalone's first alpha release a robust one.

I think you share a very common vision with Rocket tbh and I'm sure he'd be interested in what you are doing if he isn't already aware. The chloroform idea especially I think he'd like with his own game style being very much the passive survivor approach from what I can gather.

Someone with Twitter access should tweat him the link to this thread, because with so many I'm sure he hasn't got the time to read all of them.

Got to run around for an hour or so just a bit ago, seemed to run really good.

It seemed like the zombie spawns are a bit low not sure though.

A lot of the loot problems with double items and loot on top of other loot is from old weapon holders not being deleted before the new loot pile is added. Which can also cause some items to start getting flipped sideways and crooked when placed in them. When you move the loot server sided it may be easier to clear the old loot piles.

You need a little Icon like Shock and broken legs for the Combat and not in Combat. Have it appear when you are in Combat.

Seemed really smooth all in all and I should be back on later tonight to play some more.

Yeah I'm really not sure why the multiple loot on top of each other doesn't seem to be a problem in vanilla DayZ. I never changed that logic from vanilla (and it's purely rocket's code, not the private server code). In theory this should be happening all the same on vanilla DayZ... But, either way, it'll be fixed in tonight's patch.

I'm pretty sure I'll go exactly that route with the combat system. Right now it's in its "debug" form so people can notice oddities of the timer "sticking", being set too high, or any other such bugs. Once I'm confident with it, an icon sounds great.

It seemed like the zombie spawns are a bit low not sure though.

You are kidding me, right?

Count zombies in these then:

http://cloud.steampo...862D4936B38E4C/

http://cloud.steampo...5945936A72301D/

E: 3rd day of the server...online about ~23 guys. epic!

Edited by Devil

Yeah there's no issue with Zeds at all, I've had plenty of hoards following me so far and shit loads milling around too, they're spawning just fine imo.

Edit: Although saying that, if you were to/could crank up the numbers I wouldn't be against it at all.

Edited by RedNome

That's awesome if they are spawning like that, like I said I only got to run around a little bit, and only had a few even pop into view while I looted thru the entire town of electro and got geared up.

Hope I get to see some of that zombie spawning when I get back later tonight.

Alright folks. I'm setting in to code for the evening. I should have 0.1.2 up this afternoon/evening with bug fixes and the like, and then resume work on some bigger features.

Please do let me know if you notice any performance issues with the server. I'm trying to hold off until the patch before its next restart.

Edited by Venthos

Sorry mate that was me, i used the parts in it to fix the bus by solnich and rolled a convoy with a few other players through elektro and cherno. I logged with it blocking the entrance to the elektro school.

Oddly enough this actually happened on a completely different server, and a different variant of DayZ - ignore :D

Absolutely amazing work Venthos !

I can't believe how many bugs you have fixed AND implemented awesome game idea's already and you only started learning Arma2 Scripting "the other weekend" !!!

It's as though you are the other half to Rockets brain !

Now , the only downside I can see from this version of the mod , is that it won't be long until I can no longer get on the server due to it being FULL all the time B)

Really hope you have the stamina to keep it up :thumbsup:

I'll be spending many more hours in DayZ_DIAF

great stuff, looking forward to testing it out. You have removed alot that annoys me me with vanilla, but do you think you can host the files in the six updater cloud?

I'll reply to folks in the thread and whitelist more people in a little bit. As much as I don't want to neglect whitelist requests, I can't keep getting pulled out of testing/coding if I want this patch out this evening. Bear with me :) Sorry. In a few days a better (automated) whitelisting system will be in place

Loving it so far.

Only downside is still the players though.

I get the drop on a player, I don't kill him, because.

I tell him I'm friendly and that I dun wan no trabble.

He turns around, run around a corner, peek out and shoot at me.

Didnt get hit then but he eventually broke my legs

Get killed shortly afterward.

This is what I get for not killing someone. I mean, I had a double-barrel with pellets loaded trained at him, twice, before I told him to be like Fonzy.

Absolutely amazing work Venthos !

I can't believe how many bugs you have fixed AND implemented awesome game idea's already and you only started learning Arma2 Scripting "the other weekend" !!!

It's as though you are the other half to Rockets brain !

Now , the only downside I can see from this version of the mod , is that it won't be long until I can no longer get on the server due to it being FULL all the time B)

Really hope you have the stamina to keep it up :thumbsup:

I'll be spending many more hours in DayZ_DIAF

So what you are saying is that Rocket is currently operating with only half a brain?

Mmmk makes sense....

Played this for awhile tonite. Its everything I wanted DayZ to be. Also props to Venthos with super fast support!

There's an insane amount of crappy bagpacks in Cherno right now. Spawn rate might be a little to high.

v0.1.2 is out. The server is coming down in 1 minute for the update. Get the link in the OP or dayz.dieinafire.com

[CHANGE] Spawn rate of Chloroform reduced

[NEW] Chance of loot piles spawning per cycle has been universally reduced by a slight amount. (This will be watched closely. Please send feedback)

[NEW] "Special" Heli Crash gun/tool loot made exceptionally more rare. More common to find lots of ammo/supplies than amazing guns/NVG/etc.

[FIX] Removed the AKM's second spawn entry in the "Military" and "Barracks" loot table so that it only has a single entry. Consequently, it will be slightly more rare.

[NEW] The crowbar now spawns in its "Toolbelt" form vs. its "Primary Weapon" form (just like the Hatchet)

[FIX] Removed CZ550 Ammo from 'hunter' zombie loot table (missed it from before)

[NEW] Loot cleanup logic should now clean backpacks/boxes in addition to loot piles

[NEW] Loot spawn logic should no longer spawn a backpack/box/ammobox if a backpack/box/ammobox already exists at that spawn point

[NEW] Medical Box contents have been halved.

[NEw] Medical boxes will spawn less frequently (but still spawn independently of loot piles existing or not)

[FIX] Players who decide to try and crawl inside a vehicle before flipping it right side up should be less likely to K.O.d by said vehicle

[FIX] You can no longer cook infinite free meat from camp fires

[FIX] Survivors should no longer pickup a single item at the same time and both receive it.

[CHANGE] Heli Crash smoke has been removed (should be, at least). It made it ridiculously easy to spot crashed helis.

[CHANGE] Loot tables have been adjusted to make generic type loot piles more common and 'specific' items more rare. Trying to make it take longer to gear up.

[FIX] You can no longer generate multiple tents while packing up a deployed tent.

As I was uploading the completed ZIP I realized I forgot about the Hatchet ammo thing. And there's more I wanted to fix but I couldn't get to by the end of this evening. I'll probably have another update this weekend (perhaps with a new feature).

There's an insane amount of crappy bagpacks in Cherno right now. Spawn rate might be a little to high.

This should be fixed in v0.1.2 which is going out in 1 minute. Let me know if it's not.

great stuff, looking forward to testing it out. You have removed alot that annoys me me with vanilla, but do you think you can host the files in the six updater cloud?

I haven't look into six updater. Does it permit folks to contribute to it? I shall look into it. I wouldn't mind if DayZ Commander supported it. But I somehow doubt he'd add in support for a mod that's run on a single server ;)

EDIT: Oh, and there has been a refresh of vehicles since you guys apparently love blowing them up and crashing them. Pay no mind that I crashed an Ikarus and UH-1H the first day the server was up.

EDIT2:

Request for feedback!

I didn't have sufficient time to wait around for an hour or so and verify that medical boxes and backpacks are still able to spawn on top of loot piles (and vice versa). It should work, but I at least made sure the boxes/bags were spawning. If someone can please let me know the moment you see a bag sitting in a loot pile or a medbox sitting in a loot pile, let me know.

Edited by Venthos
  • Like 2

Was playing just prior to the update just now and noticed a problem with crowbars, at least I believe its a problem.

When equiping a crowbar, I was unable to attack with it, or reload it. I couldn't drop it by clicking the left arrow in my inventory.

Though I could drop it by right clicking the crowbar itself. And then when dropped it floated in the air.

Just some feedback, only bug I noticed, so far its awesome, and excited for 0.1.2.

Also Quick question, Do you change respawn zones at all? I cannot seem to get an electro spawn!

Edited by Remus