venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Today was a recreation day for me, and I didn't do anything dev wise or what not. Spent all evening on the server. Looks like we got up to 15-16 at one point. Pretty nice for its 2nd day.

To whoever had the Skoda between Starry and Novy... sorry. We pulled up to the Starry tents just in time to see you drive Eastward. We followed and saw you bailed roadside to run at the heli crash out in the field. I fired a couple 203 HE in your general direction to keep you at bay and we scooted away with the car.

A fair amount of vehicles have been exploded/crashed it seems. Most notably 2x UH-1H and a Littlebird. I'll be setting more vehicles to respawn tomorrow (I still need to perfect the vehicle spawning algorithm to make sure at least X of a given type of vehicle spawn)

A few bugs have been found, and I expect to push out v0.1.2 tomorrow evening/night. This may or may not put back the MP5 SD and M9 SD. Still undecided. They'll be quite rare, if so.

Thanks for the ideas, BIOSEMTEX. I'll take them into consideration. Some seem pretty neat.

Thanks to those playing on the server as well and making today a fun day. If all goes as planned, v0.2.0 will be out this weekend at some point (signifying the addition of some "new neat mechanic/feature".

Edited by Venthos

Just spotted Cherno Journo on the SurviveDayZ Mod server.

@ Venthos You should ask him to give you an interview on your mod for the publicity. He is famous, hur. Plus his accent is mad sexy.

P.S Is it possible to add zeroing to the crossbow?

Edited by BIOSEMTEX

P.S Is it possible to add zeroing to the crossbow?

At first this really felt like a WTFRUSMOKIN idea to me. Then I remembered I'm not an idiot and gave it some thought.

Nice idea, really. But useless. We have no sight on it, trial and error is needed to figure out the exact center of the aim.

But above it, I'd love if the crossbow had a ranged no-zoom scope (see attached files) similar to the current M14 AIM.

I feel like the crossbow is getting too much hipster love because of how bad it is overall. Mainly because of how each bolt takes up one slot and how crappy the non-existent) sight is.

OP, will be trying this out tommorow around 1800h.

Or, I'll try and I'll send you an email asking for whitelist.

post-102603-0-31280300-1349164425_thumb.

post-102603-0-39693500-1349164434_thumb.

Just out of curiosity; how is the offmap hoarding/camp placement issue adressed?

I'd like to see some sort of insta death or a 30sec warning upon leaving the intended map area of any kind, simply to prevent what happens on most servers after a while where every vehicle is hidden far away from anyone but the owners reach.

Hmm... i would like ask on some things...

1) Is there Nigh Vision and Thermal Vision? In my opinion it is much better without them!!!

2)How long is there day/night cycle ? :)

EIther our ural got found in the woods and taken or it didn't save after the restart and has respawned, gonna check it.

I checked the DB and it's in the map, with gear in it, and lookin' fancy fine (not damaged). It's likely someone took it, as I haven't reproduced any bugs yet in testing (or live) with non-saving vehicles.

Just out of curiosity; how is the offmap hoarding/camp placement issue adressed?

I'd like to see some sort of insta death or a 30sec warning upon leaving the intended map area of any kind, simply to prevent what happens on most servers after a while where every vehicle is hidden far away from anyone but the owners reach.

For the moment I will use the script that the private hive code that I started with as a "base" for my mod came with for destroying any tents/vehicles parked outside the map. Eventually, I plan to have code that simply prevents people from even moving beyond the boundaries, period. Car or not. As far as vehicle hoarding, I also plan to add some sort of vehicle "decay" system that means even if you hide a vehicle perfectly at some point it's going to "Break Down" permanently and you'll have to go find a new one. The intent is to keep it so that there's always the prospect of finding a fresh spawned vehicle in towns. Not like most servers where you have to "find it first" or otherwise raid someone's camp for one.

Hmm... i would like ask on some things...

1) Is there Nigh Vision and Thermal Vision? In my opinion it is much better without them!!!

2)How long is there day/night cycle ? :)

NVG is still in, but it is rare and I plan to make it rarer. The night vision FAL is gone, though. The L85 is also gone so there are no thermal vision weapons/items in game.

Day/Night cycle is the standard 24 hour cycle. I'm not sure if I'm fond of an artificially short day/night cycle. I plan to try and make playing during the night something people will want to do, though. I have some ideas, but nothing concrete yet.

Future Development:

I plan to have a small tweak/bug fix release tonight, but I don't want to release too frequent of updates and piss people off. This weekend I hope to have some sort of new features/mechanics though. If I'm not being too ambitious about it, a server-side loot generation system will be in place by this weekend.

The benefits of moving to a server-side loot system (vs. client generated as it is now):

-Loot will spawn independent of players being near an area or not (although there will still be mechanics to discourage/prevent sitting in a building trying to camp loot). No more approaching a city for the first time to have 0 loot inside.

-I will be scrapping the current loot model entirely and make my own algorithm. Since it's server side, the dayz_server.pbo won't be publicly available and no one will know precisely how loot is spawned (further reducing the chances of gaming the system)

-I can enforce other neat limits/mechanics to loot when a singular mechanic (The server) is generating loot vs. each individual client.

-I can enact loot table changes with a server-side patch so that a new client download isn't required.

I think that's what I'll be working on this weekend, as I have been displeased with current spawn mechanics. I already don't like how much loot I'm seeing people getting in the DB.

I like the sound of that a lot and I'm loving your vision of how the game should play so far, keep it up.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Some more "bug" reporting from me:

I commonly find like 3-4 hatchets or crowbars in one house:

2012-10-01_00001.jpg

2012-10-01_00002.jpg

Also this goes for backpacks in shop:

2012-10-02_00001.jpg

6 same backpacks on the picture... there were actually 2 more, so 8 same backpack spawns.

Edited by Devil

The backpack thing is something I'll be fixing tonight. It's actually a problem in vanilla DayZ as well (I haven't changed loot spawn code) but it's more of a pronounced problem on my server with some items removed from the loot table.

The axes you're seeing are for a similar reason. With removing cat wire/tank traps, hatchets have become that much more common (there's not much in the 'pool' of industrial spawns). That, and people hate trying to move hatchets to cycle loot so they end up being the 'tin cans' of industrial.

I'll be further adjusting loot tables/spawn chances tonight, but things should get much better when I redo the loot system entirely (hopefully this weekend).

Most of the stuff being seen in game is a side-effect of removing loot from the loot tables and thus some items have become much more commonly seen.

Thought of adding solider clothing to the loot table? Is that possible? Maybe locate them only at military spawns?\

EDIT: After seeing your above post, if you can do that, then you can make your own loot table from ALL arma 2 weapons. Seeing some of them spawning would be great! (Added machine guns, submachine guns etc)

Edited by LHShift

Hey, thanks a bunch for whitelisting me, liking it so far.

One thing came in my mind though, I saw a black SUV looting a crashed heli near Novy/Stary. I can't find anywhere in your post that those SUV's are added too? I'm pretty sure that vehicle is not in the normal list of vehicles for DayZ. Can you confirm that it's legit on your server? Thanks.

Wow,

Wonderful fixes and additions. Please show this to the dayz team so they have an example of how this mod should proceed. Sheesh. Regular dayz is a joke compared to what you are trying to do.

Thanks for whitelisting me! I played for a couple of hours yesterday and I had a great time. It was weird to have to care about food and drinks again and the fact that the character starts without a backpack has put me in some very hard decisions a couple of times (like not grabbing some extra ammo or leaving granades behind and etc). Very interesting! I'll keep playing on this server for some time. I've only been having some issues with my FPS rate, which is a little lower from what I'm used after only playing Lingor maps for a month.

Also, random bug: I found this on a dead survivor, when I tried to put it in my backpack, it disappeared

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560954033693989556/ABE6FFD0153BB2287C42C2F48666D72D6CC178CB/

Hey, thanks a bunch for whitelisting me, liking it so far.

One thing came in my mind though, I saw a black SUV looting a crashed heli near Novy/Stary. I can't find anywhere in your post that those SUV's are added too? I'm pretty sure that vehicle is not in the normal list of vehicles for DayZ. Can you confirm that it's legit on your server? Thanks.

I honestly didn't intend to have it on the map (yet), but the default private dayz server code I based my mod off of had it set to spawn by default. So it did. I left it in since I didn't want to be a dick and remove someone's vehicle. So yes, the black SUVs are legit.

EIther our ural got found in the woods and taken or it didn't save after the restart and has respawned, gonna check it.

Sorry mate that was me, i used the parts in it to fix the bus by solnich and rolled a convoy with a few other players through elektro and cherno. I logged with it blocking the entrance to the elektro school.

Also, random bug: I found this on a dead survivor, when I tried to put it in my backpack, it disappeared

http://cloud.steampo...66D72D6CC178CB/

What that actually is is about 100000 "rounds" of hatchet ammo ;) The way hatchets/crowbars work is by secretly giving you a hidden mag of "ammo" for your melee weapon when you pick it up. Previously it wasn't showing on bodies, but due to how I had to fix the crowbars so they could be toolbelted properly it is now showing. I'll have that fixed in tonight's patch. You actually DID pick it up, by the way, and you now have more hatchet ammo :D It just isn't setup in a way that you'd see it in your inventory.

Please show this to the dayz team

I have to admit I'm jealous of SurviveDayZ's sticky in this sub-forum and their shout-out from Rocket at Eurogamer ;P But, I'm not working on this mod for recognition and I'm certainly not saying that any mechanic changes/additions I make are "the way DayZ should be". I just have a lot of ideas in my head and I'm curious to see if, when thrown together, it results in a variation of DayZ that people are interested in playing. I'm trying to work something out that I want to play (and I did, all yesterday evening on the server) that is harder to get "geared up" in and that there's more to do once you are geared. I'm anxiously hoping someone posts a YouTube video in the near future of Chloroform in use. I'm excited to see what people do with it.

BTW, Venthos, did those crashed helis respawn on server restart?

I was almost crying when I found 2nd heli crashed down...

Who would do that.

I believe there is 1 Huey and 1 Littlebird up on the server. After tonight's patch I plan to spawn in a few more cars (I know of at least 4 or so that have been exploded/crashed) and make sure there are 2 Hueys and 2 Littlebirds up on the map. So tonight/tomorrow you should see more vehicles.

Venthos any reason why I keep getting kicked from the game before I even join?

Just replied to your PM. But looking at the logs further it looks like some files aren't passing signature checks.

9:19:32 Player f0twenty: Wrong signature for file C:\Program Files\ArmA 2\expansion\addons\language.pbo

9:19:32 Player f0twenty disconnected.

I guess make sure everything is patched up properly, because that's a stock ARMA2:OA pbo and not a DayZ/mod pbo.

Just had another little session, one small bug though, killed a sheep, gutted it, scrolled to gear menu to pick up steaks and it disappears, no meat. So it was I that ended up gutted in the end.

I have since successfully gutted and collected meat off a sheep and a cow, so make of that what you will.

The entire sheep disappeared or meat didn't show up? If the sheep poofed, you just got unlucky. The way animals spawn is that every player is "responsible" for spawning X amount of animals map-wide. If that player logs out, the animals poof instantly (just like zombies when players logout). Even if they're dead zombies/animals, that happens. I think there's code that's intended to "Switch" ownership of zombies/animals to nearby players if it can be done... but I don't believe it's functional. In short, you got unlucky. I'll add looking into the "shift zombies/animals onto nearby players" logic to my list of things to do. hehe. It's a big list.

The entire sheep disappeared or meat didn't show up? If the sheep poofed, you just got unlucky. The way animals spawn is that every player is "responsible" for spawning X amount of animals map-wide. If that player logs out, the animals poof instantly (just like zombies when players logout). Even if they're dead zombies/animals, that happens. I think there's code that's intended to "Switch" ownership of zombies/animals to nearby players if it can be done... but I don't believe it's functional. In short, you got unlucky. I'll add looking into the "shift zombies/animals onto nearby players" logic to my list of things to do. hehe. It's a big list.

Yeah the entire sheep poofed.

That's interesting, I didn't know how that mechanic worked, makes sense now Vent, cheers.