venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Also, learn how to fucking fly before you try to steal someone's chopper

due to us both dying about an hour ago in a chopper crash have lost 3 clips :o

Oh, the irony...

Infact. I'd go a step further if possible, and say a crash could happen randomly within any 2/3 hour period, so if you do find one it will be purely luck which it would be in real life, as you'd never be able to predict when one was going to appear. It would stop squad farming and give everyone a fair chance of stumbling upon the spoils of war.

I dont know, my feeling is, if M24 would spawn with one clip only and if a single clip would once in a while be found on undead soldiers, that could promote some bartering between players, meaning not only pvp interaction, which woldn't be that bad..

The goal would indeed be to have the crashes be as random as possible while assuring only a maximum defined number of them spawn over a fixed time period. The goal being that anyone at any time could potentially happen upon a crash site. Not "oh, the server's been up for 2 hours. I bet all the good stuff is taken. No reason to bother". This means if people want to farm them they consistently have to be scanning a 8km x 8km grid, and the area they just passed by could potentially spawn a crash just after they leave. I want it to always be a viable thing to say "let's go check for crashes". I imagine this might make that area of Cherno a bit more risky PvP wise as well.

Leaving the crash smoke in doesn't seem like such a bad idea if I go this route. Decisions, decision.

You guys are making me think up of new mechanics/features which I'm then posting about here and potentially getting people excited about, yet I only have so much time week-to-week :P I mean, hell, I set out yesterday to work on a particular mechanic and ended up side-tracking myself to work on a different one. I really want to get this one particular mechanic completed for the weekend and also pack in a few more "fun" goodies. I'd be happy with that for a patch release.

I really need to get some sort of dev tracker site going so I don't forget some of these things we're discussing.

You guys mentioned donations earlier. I'm not doing this to get anything out of it other than having a blast playing DayZ. What I really want is a busier server. Right now there are 4 people on. There were about 20 on this time yesterday. If there's no interest in the mod, there's no reason for me to continue work on it. If you guys like it and you guys play it, then I have no problems footing the server bill for 1 or 2 servers. If we cap out 2 servers of people, then we'll talk about funding for more or bringing on board trustworthy server admins who have their own server and want to host the mod. But we're not in any danger of that just yet.

I dont know, my feeling is, if M24 would spawn with one clip only and if a single clip would once in a while be found on undead soldiers, that could promote some bartering between players, meaning not only pvp interaction, which woldn't be that bad..

I need to see how things play out first, especially once I change helicrash spawn behavior. If M24 ammo is so rare that nobody is even carrying the rifles and they're just sitting in tents without ammo, then that would justify increasing the rate of M24 ammo into the ecosystem. If even a tiny fraction of people seem to be finding and using the M24, then I'd be pleased with that.

Don't fight helis, fight the fact that it's too easy to spot tents from above.

Maybe think of something that could not be seen from above? Holding box that could be hidden into houses? Something that's the same color with ground?

There got to be a way to do it without losing helis.

Helis won't be removed, ever. I love them. They should always represent an advantage as well. I just need to find a way to make it so those with a heli don't "rule the map" and negate any other squad's ability to protect their goods. If I could find a solution for that, I would add more MH-6Js into the map just because I love helis so much and think squads using them for transport is pretty cool. I'm on the fence about making helis transport-only and replacing the Huey with a medivac UH-60 for just that reason.

Tweaked Server Options (3rd Person, Waypoints, Crosshairs, etc.)

Turning off waypoints will likely happen pretty soon. Perhaps crosshairs. I'd be up for a server without 3rd person as well, but I would have to always maintain a server with 3rd person on because I know how many people will refuse to play without it. I'd need to have multiple servers up and going (which means this first one has to get a steady 30-35ish population first) before I consider having a dedicated 1st person server. This also brings me too...

:( Are the people who are willing to work for hours to get a "good" gun like an M4 CCO also the same people who refuse to play with 3rd person off?

Alright I wanna report a few possible bug/exploits.

First I might I found a way too refill mags using a tent and server restart exploit. Basically I moved 3 (almost) empty G17 mags in my tent a few minutes before the server restart. I took them back afterwards and they were all full.

Which leads me to my second point. A few minutes before that, I was moving a lot of stuff back and forth from my inventory/backpack to my tent. After a while, I noticed a slow down while transfering stuff. Some kind of server lag. I first got a mission error saying stuff about modifying mission file and then my client crashed. When I logged back in, all the gear I add moved to my backpack/inventory was gone. I pretty much lost all of my best gear because of that. I don't know if its related to the way you autosave the vehicules/tents. It might have nothing to do with that either. Just reporting in.. I never add that kind of error before when interacting with a tent.

I am looking into the mag refill exploit, but from what I understand this is not something I will be able to fix due to engine limitations. If anything, it would have to be some roundabout backwards way of trying to simulate some desperately needed engine functionality which would be buggy at best.

In non-Beta ARMA2:OA, magazines have no concept of ammo count "saved" to them. In one of the beta client releases (I believe because of DayZ) they made it possible to store ammo counts in magazines... but only in inventory. Containers still have no concept of ammo counts for mags. There's no way for me to store that value and retrieve it for adding back in on server restart.

Basically, see how this function has the ability to pass "ammocount" to it:

http://community.bis...dMagazine_array

The count here is just "number of mags", it would need to also allow "ammocount in the mag"

http://community.bis...zineCargoGlobal

Until/if this happens, I can't do anything about that exploit. This is just one of the many bugs that cannot be addressed until Standalone, which means I cannot address it in my mod.

As for the latter issue, let me know if it happens again. If your client crashed mid-transfer like that then the behavior you mentioned definitely would've occurred and it can't really be helped as to avoid abuse. It's just a matter of determining if the code is crashing you or if it was coincidental. Had you normally logged out, you would've been fine. So, identifying if the crash was the fault of the mod is the key.

PM me with what you lost and when it happened.

Edited by Venthos

Requesting sticky for this thread tbh, this guy is putting alot of work and effort into his mod and definitely deserves more attention.

Who was the guy driving the green car through chernogorsk? I shot a lee enfield round at it and it looks like i killed the passenger haha. I wish i had that recorded

I'll Sticky this for now. At the moment it's generating even more interest than SurviveDayz mod.

Both mods are sufficiantly different from each other.

SurviveDayZ is adding tons of different stuff to make it more interesting.

DayZ_DIAF is taking away various things and changing the mechanics to make a more pure form of DayZ.

One mod or the other should appeal to most people until we get to try standalone.

• Like 4

Your reasoning here is once again shit.

I like how the sniper rifles and silenced rifles make you a one man weapons carnival but things like the M249 and the Mk48 don't. Riiiiiiight. You don't like the weapons so you removed them because you've been killed too many times by them.

You can say i'm not a purist and am not in it for the spirit of DayZ till your blue in the face. That doesn't make it true. You made perhapse 4 good choices with that list. Then the rest is you just not liking the weapons than having anything to do with the 'spirit of DayZ'. You're a fraud, and an idiot.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it's "fraud" or "shit." I agree with everything that has been done on this list. My opinion also means just as much as yours if not more (because of how you prematurely mouth off and get mad)

Edited by RpG

You really shouldn't chuck like 5 flares around the hangers. I was watching you guys for like 15min lol, you both walked within 5m of me when you were walking back to your van by the gravel road ^_^ I was pissed I got a body shot shot on your mate, he slighty moved as I shot... lucky bastard. Was contemplating calling friendly but I didn't want to risk all my gear.

Heh, Shadybitz and I always seem to end up doing things we shouldn't and getting ourselves killed. Especially in that area and usually with a blue van. The funniest time was when we both got killed because shady fired his Enfield in the supermarket and drew every zombie in that town on to us. The time I accidentally threw a grenade was not so funny... but you get the idea.

If you had called out friendly we definitely would have tried to kill you, so you made the right decision there. I was already lucky to be alive at that stage after bumping into someone in the forest near Berezino and he let me live (shoulder wiggle ftw), being shot up while driving the van by some guy with an AK (I almost bled out from that one) and then having you snipe us while we were having a good ol' aussie BBQ in the woods (no beer unfortunately, can we have beer plz Venthos?!). So it was a hell of a fun night. My nerves were shattered!

I have experienced chloroform, it was funny, shady lol'ed a lot, I waited 3.5 mins. Is it possible to make a stab attack similar to this if you have a combat knife? Stealth kills (melee even) would be cool.

• Like 1

I'll Sticky this for now. At the moment it's generating even more interest than SurviveDayz mod.

Both mods are sufficiantly different from each other.

SurviveDayZ is adding tons of different stuff to make it more interesting.

DayZ_DIAF is taking away various things and changing the mechanics to make a more pure form of DayZ.

One mod or the other should appeal to most people until we get to try standalone.

Nice one 4L4N, I was wondering for a minute how the hell this had gone off the front page!

Vent's doing great work here and I have every faith that he'll be able to deliver so much more in the future for this mod.

Has any one suggested to put the zombie's aggro back to when Dayz first came out but still have the ability to loose aggro threw buildings trees ect.

The aggro is insane and i don't mind how many zombies there are but it would be nice to use the crawl function again .

Spuddy: Yeah yeah... hehe. I'm aware. I addressed the issue in the wrong section. Next patch will fix it, although if you read the heli crash logic change potential I'm thinking of, I may leave it in after all.

KaptKrunKed: I'm relatively new to DayZ, to the tune of two months or so. How were zombies before? But if you're looking for zombies to be less of a hassle, you may not like next patch :D

Party in Solnichny tonight it seems. URAL guys running around like crazy looking for parts while a fresh spawn tries to jack it, some other dude attempting a good old road-bandit technique with an AKM. Too bad i died to a tree as i was lining up for a shot against one of the wheels to cause even more confusion :(

KaptKrunKed: I'm relatively new to DayZ, to the tune of two months or so. How were zombies before? But if you're looking for zombies to be less of a hassle, you may not like next patch :D

Oh dear, do not like this sound of this. And if you are going the other direction with Crashed Heli's (Having them spawn in after a few hours) I really think you should leave the smoke in. At least try it out with the smoke in, and if there still to easily found, simply take it out.

Once again I had a purely awesome experience. Lost a ural, then made the run from Electro to Almost Berenzino, and Fought to get it back.

Purely Awesome.

Also to the guys who were shooting at me and my buddy as we drove off in what was originally our orange ural. Look around, we, much to our dismay made clear signs of our presence in the area.