venthos

DayZ Redux - DayZ purist focused custom DayZ Mod (Formerly DayZ DIAF)

Okies, been testing this afternoon.

ATV flip worked fine for me to a point. Tried it twice no problem righting it again, then I picked up a guy (sirrat) and we flipped it again, when he tried to right it, ATV broke his leg and knocked him unconscious, amusing considering I assured him it was safe...heh, whoops. Just for fun I loaded sirrat onto the ATV while he was unconscious, but I noticed the option in the menu did not disappear after he got off, 'unload patient ep_v1' or something similar. I never knew you could kidnap unconscious folks in your vehicle, is this new? Next time I flipped, it was on a bridge, when I righted it, ATV disappeared. I looked under the bridge and there it was, on four wheels again.

I checked 2 heli crash sites and there was very little loot. On both there was a loot pile inside the wreck of the chopper itself with nothing more than a bandage, soda and morphine. On one of the wrecks there was also only a single empty soda can, that spawned outside the fuselage. I am not sure how the loot spawn works on these but I made sure I parked my vehicle a long way off and walked up to the second one.

Just gave my ATV to another guy just before logging, hopefully he has morphine handy, heh.

Also, toolboxes are not that rare, I think needing one to repair vehicles would not be too much of a stretch. In fact, finding a vehicle and not having one would definitely drive the 'I need a goddamn toolbox adventure' quite nicely.

Let me know if you want test data sent elsewhere, other than this thread.

@BlindProphet you should be in the toolbox, cos you are a tool, and not a very sharp one at that.

Looks very promising, Loving the features and the changes and cannot wait to see what else will be added!

Also PM'd you about something concerning servers, and things.

Will be playing tomarrow, looks like great fun, and going to inform some pals of mine about this!

Been looking for a home server and I think we found it!

Thanks for the feedback. With the person being injured on vehicle flip, were you the one flipping it and they were standing next to it? Or, were they the ones flipping it? I may need to tweak some values there if he was the one flipping it to account for positioning and client side lag. If they were just next to you, that's something I'm debating "fixing" or not. I kind of like that you have to make people "stand clear" before flipping. As for the location it flips too, the game engine is always going to pick the nearest "non-collision" spot on the terrain. If on a bridge (an "object"), yeah I guess it will throw it underneath. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure this can be helped without engine changes. As long as it always puts it in an accessible spot that you can drive away from (which is what it should do), I think that's a win so far. hehe.

Scanning the DB earlier (Trying to see if I made things rare enough) it looks like someone got in a chopper and found a few heli crashes. He very well could have looted the ones you found. Still, I am aiming to make heli crashes something that is no longer a near guaranteed "new gun" spot. It will more often serve as ammo/supplies retooling since otherwise people have gotten pretty good at finding/farming them. I will be monkeying with the loot table for them to at least make sure they're always worthwhile. But it won't be like vanilla DayZ where you sift through 3-4 high-end rifles per crash.

The loading/unloading of unconscious players is not something new. It's provided by the "medical" scripts that Rocket included with DayZ. I did notice that "unload patient" sticks, and will be something I work to fix. That feature (and bug) should be in vanilla DayZ. It's just not often you run into such a situation.

Feedback is fine in this thread, unless you have a LOT to give. Then go ahead and email me (email is in the linked image to prevent email bots from nabbing it) mail.jpg

I was standing well back and sirrat was doing the flipping, he was positioned at the back left corner while using the menu. Bystander damage is funny, leave that shit in! Hopefully I will be able to test the chloroform soon, any volunteers? I saw someone flying the little bird when I was omw to the ATV spawn, I was jealous! I only had a tractor.

I would love to, actually. It's just that running two servers wouldn't exactly be a small expenditure. I'm not ready to open the mod up for public hosting simply because I have a strong distrust of the majority of DayZ admins. Most seem to treat it as their personal sandbox to torment people who unsuspectingly login treating them as mere prey for whatever clique they've formed. I've always run my public DayZ box (US 2519) with the aim of making sure people are having fun. I killed people, but I gave away weapons, cars, etc.

There's a lot of European DayZ streamers that I would be honored to have play on a server with my mod, honestly. I know FRANKIEonPCin1080p is looking for one. I think hybridpanda already found a private one though :(

If I get enough interest for a European server, and my current server attains a respectable population (currently in Dallas, TX) then I will personally foot the bill for a European server and run the two.

I've got big aspirations for the mod. One of which will be dynamic "events" run by admins on the server. Imagine a human run/controlled event at midnight on "That Mountain" with lots of zombies, and a few "admin controlled" super zombies in the mix which drop loot only available through such dynamic events. I've got a lot lodged in my brain for this mod, and so far most of it seems possible. Some of which would only work out effectively with servers run by admins I hand pick to be trustworthy and wouldn't just run around as a zombie griefing people.

In much shorter words: YES, I'd love to have one. I just need to see plausible interest first ;) The interest of a few DayZ streamers wouldn't hurt :P

If the in combat is show every time in the UI, then this is an EPIC idea :)

would suck if the combat isnt shown and you log out normally (say someone used a silenced weapon near you and you didnt hear it) and insta died because of it.

• Like 1

Oh there is no shortage of interest in private hive servers in Europe. Just look at the mydayz.de servers, they are constantly packed with people. Everyone is fed up with the hackers and bugs in public servers. We have our own public hive server but we hardly go there anymore. I think that tells something about the state of this mod.

If the in combat is show every time in the UI, then this is an EPIC idea :)

would suck if the combat isnt shown and you log out normally (say someone used a silenced weapon near you and you didnt hear it) and insta died because of it.

The "Abort" button is disabled while you're in combat. You shouldn't be able to log out normally if you're in combat. But, yes, the combat indicator is shown permanently. Later on (after the mechanic has been put through its paces) it may turn into just a "IN COMBAT" or "OUT OF COMBAT" (no timer) indicator to prevent people from trying to game the counter and run around just long enough until the timer hits 0.

• Like 1

Great thing you're doing here!

I'm looking forward to get my hand on this mod of Dayz mod :P

Also got my fraps ready to report any bugs / glitches etc I can find (I hope it's considered alright to report them, not "STOP WHINING YOU .... ")

But that is a good question indeed:

Can i ask a question? Why were all the sd weapons removed?

Edited by Devil

God damn Venthos, you are doing community fine service here and I want to thank you!

I'm from Europe so US servers are not that good for me (ping wise) but I love many of the ideas you have come up with.

It's almost putting Rocket little bit to shame since he was not able to implement anti combat logging system and you seem to have nailed it (although it might be that its far easier on private server then public hive).

I'm all for reducing of some high grade military weapons too, maybe you could limit heli crash sites to just one after server reset.

Also maybe rise % of shotgun spawns, especially pump action Reminghton and maybe also introduce some other "civilian" weapons too.

So good luck and if your version of DayZ can make it to EU server, lots of folks would be glad!

Very much interested in this, will check it out later on.

A European server would be great, but I'll see how I go ping wise on this one for now as a UK resident.

I'm on board with all your changes listed so far. One thing that might be considered if possible that I've always wished for is to have the hatchet take up the secondary weapon slot instead of primary so it can be used very effectively as a silent zombie killer whilst still having good access to your primary as needs be for PVP encounters?

Can i ask a question? Why were all the sd weapons removed?

I initially had removed all snipers and all silenced weapons in my plans for this mod. The end goal was to foster more combat in towns that involved a bit of tactics vs. silent running in town or shots from the trees. Having cruised around for the last few weeks on public DayZ with an M4A1 CCO SD and a AS50(day)/DMR(night) I knew just how easy it was to engage people with the upper hand and just click-kill. It was too easy and the "hunt" lasted so short. It started to get unsatisfying. I wanted PvP that lasted longer than a single mouse click. I wanted combat.

I don't hate the guns, I used them exclusively for the past few weeks in DayZ because I loved how effective they are. I just want more than 0.5 seconds of excitement. I want to exchange fire with another person/squad, not be the only one firing.

Eventually I decided to add back in the CZ550/M24 as exceptionally rare spawns. This way people would use them a bit more tactically given the limited ammo should they be lucky to get one. With the silenced weapons, I just don't want it to be the "expectation" for end game that you just get one like in vanilla DayZ. I will very likely add some silenced weaponry back, but probably not the full compliment. I'm liking the idea of adding the silenced MP5 back because of how terrible it is damage wise. This way it can still be an effective tool for entering a town/pursuing a player by headshotting zombies. But, it won't be a huge factor straight on against another player when exchanging fire. You'd want another weapon for that.

With weapon/ammo rarity, I'd want silenced weapons and sniper rifles to be a "Specialty Weapon" in your bag for certain circumstances. Not the gun you have in hand 24/7 because you have lots of ammo for it.

We'll see. Nothing in the mod is an irreversible design decision. I wouldn't consider silenced weapons gone for good, nor the sniper rifles that aren't in game right now. In fact that MP5 SD may make it into the next patch.

• Like 1

I would like to see the M9SD and the MP5SD in the mod since they both do low damage. Besides that I like the ideas might give it a try. What timezone is the server?

So there are no weapons at heli crash sites now....?

There are weapons there, and some are ONLY available at crash sites. It's just you're not going to roll up to a site and find 4 firearms like you did in Vanilla DayZ. Finding even a single firearm there would be uncommon (but not rare). People have gotten really good at finding these things and I don't want a huge influx of weapons. It's more likely you'll find supplies, camo/ghillies, and an ammo box of 10x stanag, 10x ak, 10x akm rounds. Nothing to shake a stick at. At least, that's the plans for next release. As it stands right now I think firearms are fairly common at crash sites.

I would like to see the M9SD and the MP5SD in the mod since they both do low damage. Besides that I like the ideas might give it a try. What timezone is the server?

Both are very likely to make it into next release as pretty rare finds. I'm with you there given the M9 SD's low accuracy and MP5SD's low damage.

The server is in Dallas, TX and the timezone is set to GMT-8

Installed and sent you a PM regarding whitelisting :)

Hope to see ya'll in chernarus soon.

Did you add back the ability to put weapons in your backpack? In your video you said you disabled it. As far as crash sites go, i checked three yesterday and only managed one FN Fal, m4a1 cco, and a m16 acog so i think you have the weapon spawns on heli crashes pretty spot on.

Vehicles in the server? Anyone able to find some? Considering that this is a really fresh server and hackers haven't teleported all the vehicles out of the map.. there should be some around the coast even, havent found any tho.

Found heli crash site... nv goggels :)

Also found a bug:

When taking a backpack on ground, the one already on me disappeared. Instead, it should drop on the ground.

Edited by Devil

Vehicles in the server? Anyone able to find some? Considering that this is a really fresh server and hackers haven't teleported all the vehicles out of the map.. there should be some around the coast even, havent found any tho.

Yeah I found a beat up vehicle earlier and everything else so far seems to be working fine too.

So far so good.

Did you add back the ability to put weapons in your backpack? In your video you said you disabled it. As far as crash sites go, i checked three yesterday and only managed one FN Fal, m4a1 cco, and a m16 acog so i think you have the weapon spawns on heli crashes pretty spot on.

Yes, you can bag weapons. I realized I could never fix items being eaten when being moved into a bag/gear that had no room. So, I didn't want to have people losing weapons left and right by not knowing/remembering that limit.

Further, I realized the main reason I wanted "no weapons in bags" was to prevent people from loading up with a sniper/assault/silenced (all 3 types) at once. With the sniper rifles I left in (CZ550 / M24) being VERY rare and the silencers I plan to add back in (MP5 SD / M9 SD) soon to be just as rare, I won't mind it. Ammo won't spawn in the wild for either (maybe the M9 SD, though), so a sniper rifle or silenced weapon isn't something you'd pick up unless you could bag it. Ammo will be too rare otherwise to use those weapons as your main gun. I think that's a happy compromise. Sniper rifles/silenced weapons will be left to be very rare spawns and you only get the clips that spawn with it. Ammo won't independently spawn for it outside of with the gun spawn. This should make people treat them as specialty guns vs. just carrying it as their primary 24/7.

There are some, but I plan to re-do all vehicle spawn points in the future. There are lots of unclaimed vehicles all over the server right now. In upwards of 30 not counting bicycles

For example:

6x ATV

3x Blue Vans

3x Motorcycles

(just to name a few)

They're out there, and all but one or two are unclaimed from the looks of it.