Sign in to follow this  
guidez

The Hive - We Want Support, Not Permission

Private vs. Public  

105 members have voted

1. 1. If Private hives were supported by the DayZ Developers, would you host private or public?

• Private
    • Public

you join a server fuck up the whole admin camp & steal all vehicles......hive rollback.

server doesnt spawn enough as50's - tweak the hive

admin doesnt want other people to get military loot - tweak the hive

all your work lies in the hand of an admin - I would rent my own server if hives go private as everyone would do because it gives you all the power, players would spread over all the servers...

central hive is awesome since I can join my fiends on any server and dont need to spent 20h to collect all the stuff

my worst game experiences were on public hive servers like lingor & takistan

You've had some really crap Admins O.o

One con of a private server (and i understand to an extent since someone is paying the cash)

Nazi admins who abuse their power and think they have divine rights to say what goes down.

I have had experience where an admin has teleported everyone and killed them all because no body would own up to a PvP murder - side chat was enabled. How is this not hacking?

This is what i fear some private servers will become - playthings of the person paying the bills, with the idea in their head that what they say goes. People getting kicked on hearsay of the admins friends "He killed me...he stole my ATV..."

I do see the pros as well and i have been on many a private server where all seemed fair. But one thing i have noticed - admins always seem to have the best gear.

Another con i just thought of - the idea i could have 53 different characters on 53 different hives. This surely is not what DayZ is about.

"Database backups (restore on hacker incident)"

A good feature for a private hive. However, this feature only appeals to me on the Server specific items. Vehicles, Tents Etc. Also, I see this as a major way of possible admin abuse.

*Admin Logs into Camp*

*Where is the Chopper?*

*Admin rolls back server, deleting X amount of ALL player progress on that server*

Granted there is abuse now on the public hive with restarts and I wont deny that, but at least I don't lose any progress for my character.

"Events for your community"

Other than locking your server for giveaways or whatever event you may plan, how does this differ from a public hive?

"Customization (User's on my server cannot leave the map boundaries. They insta-die if they try. No off-map hoarding)"

Too much customization can be a bad thing as well.

I'm not trying to flame, private hives just aren't my cup of tea.

You are trying to flame. If you see an admin abuse don't use their server. If you don't want to abuse, be an admin like me and don't abuse it! I don't cheat. I have never rolled back for anything but hackers.

Your arguments rely very heavily upon your own cynicism!

Customization is a bad thing? I don't think you have a clue what he is talking about. Most of the customization done by private servers is bug fixes that public DayZ has not bothered to even attempt to fix in the last 3 months! I think perhaps you need to start your own server, set it up, and deal with a public before you come here and run your fingers!

Edited by James_Manring
  • Like 2

Another con i just thought of - the idea i could have 53 different characters on 53 different hives. This surely is not what DayZ is about.

Why not? Everyone seems to be so stuck on "we've had central server and that's the way to be". People have 1,5,10,20 WoW accounts/characters: What makes DayZ so special that you need a persistent character across all servers?

I could be dead wrong, of course, but it would involve too much development time taken from standalone and even more time supporting it.

Change all references in the code from "IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", where XXX is the Central Hive DB IP, to "localhost". I know it's more involved then that, but it wouldn't be to much work on the side.

OR, and this would be very helpful, provide the current database to the community. What I mean is, allow the third party developers to download the current hive (minus user data of course), so that they know what to build on. In the end, all that I am looking for here is for the developers to be more helpful to private servers: It's not like they OWE us private server owners anything, but if they appreciate how much load the private hives have taken off the central server, the private hives would just as much appreciate access to the public hive so as to ensure the longevity of private hives.

• Like 1

OR, and this would be very helpful, provide the current database to the community. What I mean is, allow the third party developers to download the current hive (minus user data of course), so that they know what to build on. In the end, all that I am looking for here is for the developers to be more helpful to private servers: It's not like they OWE us private server owners anything, but if they appreciate how much load the private hives have taken off the central server, the private hives would just as much appreciate access to the public hive so as to ensure the longevity of private hives.

Amen, brother! If Rocket appreciates it so much, he could show it by supplying access to development material to Ayan4m1 at https://github.com/ayan4m1

I am quite convinced that he will receive plenty of coded thanks in return :D

Edited by James_Manring

your server hopping into a base as a reason for private hives is pointless as all they really need to do is prevent a player from logging into a server within 50 meters of a player placed structure or hell even 10 meters would be enough the server would just nudge the player trying to hop 10 meters away from the camp fence preventing them or anyone else for server hopping into a camp and thats a far easier solution to implement and test.

have no idea why something like this was not done in the first place.

There will be far more shitty private servers run by self-entitled admins whose entire excuse is "I pay money!" than quality private servers. Some of us don't care about the money and would rather see people having fun on our server. But that's the necessary evil to allowing private servers. No way around it.

There will be folks like me who run a quality server and will simply congratulate you on a job well done killing me/raiding my camp/stealing my vehicle/whatever. It's just going to take some time for people to find out what those servers are. It's a self correcting problem that just involves a bit of heart ache on the part of its players as they wade through the mountains of self-entitled admins' servers until they hit the good ones.

The second someone says "I should be able to <blank> because I pay money for the server", you should just run the hell away as fast as you can. Find servers run by admins like myself who consider the server fee a personal entertainment expense that we don't feel we "deserve" anything in return for. We just want an opportunity to have a good server community with people having fun.

• Like 1

your server hopping into a base as a reason for private hives is pointless as all they really need to do is prevent a player from logging into a server within 50 meters of a player placed structure or hell even 10 meters would be enough the server would just nudge the player trying to hop 10 meters away from the camp fence preventing them or anyone else for server hopping into a camp and thats a far easier solution to implement and test.

So you want to spawn outside of your base or perhaps even several hundred meters away if there are enough structures around? I can see this becoming a problem in itself. This might work better if you changed it from "player placed structure" to be just "player". To be honest it is a lot of code just to minorly inconvenience a server hopper. I prefer to stop them completely.

And this fix would, in effect, make putting up structures pointless. Your saying that even though I placed the structure, I will be teleported out of it when I log back into the server. You might reply that they could code it so that players who made the structure won't get teleported out. But then what about clan members? Ok, now code a way to allow clan members. Now they have to code a way remove players. Your suggestion is a coding nightmare.

You are trying to flame. If you see an admin abuse don't use their server. If you don't want to abuse, be an admin like me and don't abuse it! I don't cheat. I have never rolled back for anything but hackers.

Your arguments rely very heavily upon your own cynicism!

Customization is a bad thing? I don't think you have a clue what he is talking about. Most of the customization done by private servers is bug fixes that public DayZ has not bothered to even attempt to fix in the last 3 months! I think perhaps you need to start your own server, set it up, and deal with a public before you come here and run your fingers!

You should probably read my post(s), AND my signature. The Poll asked for an opinion and I gave it. So now I'm a flamer? Come on, maybe you should step back a bit and take a closer look at my points!

YES - Private hives can be beneficial in many ways, yet destructive in so many more. I CHOOSE not to play or host a private hive as I see no need to when public hives represent what DayZ should be.

No matter how Vanilla any private hive admin runs it, said admin will always have TOTAL power over the server. I do not believe being an admin entitles you to complete control over the server. There are always limitations given to ensure a fair playing field for all players.

And yes, there will always be admin abuse no matter what, but I would rather have an abusive admin on a public hive than a private hive any day.

If you like to play on or host private hives, that's great. If you like to play on or host public hives, that's great too.

If you can't handle someone's opinion, especially when asked for one, then GTFO.

My 2 Cents.

@ OP - I like the revision of the original topic. I understand why you would enjoy the private side of it, if managed correctly by admins and the limitations.

Well done sir.

I dont think there is ever gonna be full support for private hive, as the dev team actually havent developed the private software. theres about 10 different server versions now, for private hive, and NONE of em was made by the dayz dev team.

Ofc the server software was created "based" on the official setup, but more then half of the information was NOT gathered from the official setup. Spawn points for example, and loot tables. Thoose are 100% player made, by people who are working on the private hive.

Basicly that would mean, in order to get official support, Dayz would have to "adopt" the private files and start to develop em, so they actually know how it works.

Just look at the people looking for help on the forum for private hive, theres no help to get here, coz they simply dont know.

HOWEVER the mod will not die at standalone. The 1000's of people who are working on private hive and the custom maps arent just gonna give up from one day to another. In fact we might actually see the dev of Dayz go to the community completely, once standalone gets out.

Take Bliss for example, they are currently creating theyre own "community" for private server owners, using theyre software, and more will follow soon, im 120% sure.

Private hive have been around for more then 4 months now, getting better and better by the day, so it would be completely unrealistic to say it will stop developing after standalone :) Nobody said it yet, but you never know.

I love private hive for a very simple reason. FULL CONTROL OF MY SERVER

And yes it opens up for admin abuse, but hey, we are a community, so is it that hard to make a "Private Hive Blacklist" if we really wanted?

Edited by Byrgesen

I continue to stick with the public servers for one main reason.

It is the core of what DayZ is.

Lingor, Utes, Takistan. That's great you have more maps to play on now. The problem I have with the private hives, most aren't DayZ at all. Servers with 80+ vehicles, way too high loot spawns, extreme low damage to vehicles, etc. I know this isn't every server out there, but the majority I see are.

Where is the adventure? The Story? So you can jump an SUV 500m and drive away. You can spend hours at the race track, racing and jumping helicopters. Sounds like a hilarious time for youtubers and streamers. I bet you get a lot of views. Want some beans?

I have a friend who loves Lingor. He was telling me that he was just doing some laps around a race track. I asked him if you wanted to race, why not play a racing game? I never got an answer.

I guess it's not for everyone.

I have no plans for ever playing on these private hives because I enjoy making my own adventure. I like surviving! You don't survive on these overpowered private hives. You play. Welcome to Call of DayZ.

Its funny because you think that every server is like this.

One con of a private server (and i understand to an extent since someone is paying the cash)

Nazi admins who abuse their power and think they have divine rights to say what goes down.

I have had experience where an admin has teleported everyone and killed them all because no body would own up to a PvP murder - side chat was enabled. How is this not hacking?

This is what i fear some private servers will become - playthings of the person paying the bills, with the idea in their head that what they say goes. People getting kicked on hearsay of the admins friends "He killed me...he stole my ATV..."

I do see the pros as well and i have been on many a private server where all seemed fair. But one thing i have noticed - admins always seem to have the best gear.

DayZ is about surviving. Endofstory. So, you are surviving with 53 different characters, that have none of the same gear. I don't see a problem.

Amen, brother! If Rocket appreciates it so much, he could show it by supplying access to development material to Ayan4m1 at https://github.com/ayan4m1

I am quite convinced that he will receive plenty of coded thanks in return :D

I'm thinking about it.

But I SWEAR TO GOD that if people keep making up statistics I will move to TROLLCON 1

• Like 8

I'm thinking about it.

But I SWEAR TO GOD that if people keep making up statistics I will move to TROLLCON 1

YES! That is ALL the private hive community wanted to hear. As always, rocket, you are the man.

Don't worry people, only about 25% of these "threats" actually has consequences.

Don't worry people, only about 25% of these "threats" actually has consequences.

And 53.7% of the consequences result in rocket releasing an update ahead of schedule. ;)

DayZ Private hive owners... contact me with suggestions for git repository and I'll move dayzmod source there. Can all work to next update. -Rocket

Edited by smasht_AU

Don't worry Rocket, it's a proven fact that 78% of statistics are inaccurate.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

DayZ Private hive owners... contact me with suggestions for git repository and I'll move dayzmod source there. Can all work to next update. -Rocket

http://twitter.com/r...787396563447808

What exactly does this mean?

you are gonna support private hive?

you are gonna adopt some of the knows private hives?

you are gonna develop your own private hive?

Im pretty confused ;) there already is over 10 gitbuh repos, with dayz private server.

What does it mean mate?

Im pretty confused ;) there already is over 10 gitbuh repos, with dayz private server.

What does it mean mate?

Mean's my suggestion is maybe we should have one repository, or at least, any less than 10 would be better for everyone. Then I know when i roll out a new update, that it's not going to break all the private hives.

Mean's my suggestion is maybe we should have one repository, or at least, any less than 10 would be better for everyone. Then I know when i roll out a new update, that it's not going to break all the private hives.

Good idea, But you should start with the Bliss software.

Ive been on ALL the private hive software and Bliss is by far the most stabil and the one you should bet on mate.

Its got great devs, fast updates and they do stuff right.

I am hoping you will give Ayan the resouces to build a fantastic private hive, but its up to you :)

Thoose guys deserve some credit and i think they would appriciate the fact, you wanna help em.

I dont see any point in trying to create a "Dayz official private hive software", as we already have an awsome software out there.

But thx for taking your time mate, glad to see so fast response.

But the problem with the different hives is:

installation difficulties. some of em are REAL easy, bliss is not tho :)

different file usuage.

and finally, some use different Ban lists.

If we could get you guys to support the BlissHIVE, i think it would all work out so awsome :D

Edited by Byrgesen