rocket

Why is the life expectancy going up?

Some simple napkin math.

If a player survives for 1 day then it takes 100 players dying after 15 mins to return an average life extectancy of 29.1 minutes.

((24*60)+(100*15))/101 = 29.10891

If that player then continues to survive for another day then another 100 players dying after 15 minutes causes the average to shift upwards.

((48*60)+(200*15))/201 = 29.25373

The longer people last the more people who die in a short amount of time is needed to counter the survivors.

6 days, which Ive seen on the forums here somewhere as a survivor age using the same formula would need 611 short timers to return the same average life expectancy as 1 day and 100 short timers.

@Johnny5vsZombie

Murder is definitely a necessity in such a situation, I don't dispute that. You need to defend you and your group at any cost. However, most "kill on sight" posts are in reference to the people who are hunting other players for sport, OR it's in reference to the "deathmatch" playstyle that a lot of players have adopted.

@Johnny5vsZombie

Murder is definitely a necessity in such a situation' date=' I don't dispute that. You need to defend you and your group at any cost. However, most "kill on sight" posts are in reference to the people who are hunting other players for sport, OR it's in reference to the "deathmatch" playstyle that a lot of players have adopted.

[/quote']

There is no "deathmatch" unless you go to Cherno, Elektro, Stary Sobor or the 3 airfields

And why is there "deathmatch" in those spots? Because it's flooded with loot of varying quality

People want to keep their loot and get new one, so they defend it

I'm amused by the people calling murderers "CoD kids"

In fact whenever someone uses CoD as an "argument" in any other game than CoD I'm amused, because referring to CoD basically means that you have no actual argument worth posting

@Johnny5vsZombie

Murder is definitely a necessity in such a situation' date=' I don't dispute that. You need to defend you and your group at any cost. However, most "kill on sight" posts are in reference to the people who are hunting other players for sport, OR it's in reference to the "deathmatch" playstyle that a lot of players have adopted.

[/quote']

There is no "deathmatch" unless you go to Cherno, Elektro, Stary Sobor or the 3 airfields

And why is there "deathmatch" in those spots? Because it's flooded with loot of varying quality

People want to keep their loot and get new one, so they defend it

I'm amused by the people calling murderers "CoD kids"

In fact whenever someone uses CoD as an "argument" in any other game than CoD I'm amused, because referring to CoD basically means that you have no actual argument worth posting

I have to agree there, which is why I never called murderers "CoD kids." You just made an assumption, my friend. I suspect "CoD kids" because I'm sure some Call of Duty players bought ArmA 2 specifically for this mod and played it expecting something other than a hardcore zombie apocalypse simulator. No indication of them being murderers was ever made....although I won't object to admitting that I think CoD holds people's hands way too much and perhaps that's why some of the "CoD kids" may have left.\

TL;DR: Hand-holding is bad.

My point is, that many proclaimed "doom" about the bandit skin remove. But the opposite has been seen. I doubt the change itself has caused an increase, but something has. And bandit change hasn't resulted in substantially more bandits, and through it all we've seen a statistically dramatic increase in survival time.

Quite often I've seen and experienced a bug that could potentially explain this. Sometimes, when a player is killed, I'm guessing that central server doesn't have a chance to update before they disconnect and rejoin. This results in them spawning in exactly where they died, with all their gear and all their zombie kills, as if they had never died. I obviously don't know the inner workings of the game, but if this bug is a consequence of high server load, the more people that start playing, the more this will happen, and the more deaths will be "nullified". Even if its only 5% of all deaths, it would be enough to steadily increase survival time. I've properly died about 10 or 12 times, and its happened to me twice.

I'm thinking a lot of the idiots and "CoD kids" are leaving after finding out that DayZ isn't what they were looking for.

Wishful thinking at best.

@Johnny5vsZombie

[/quote']

well it's hard for me to relate to this hunting-CoD-death match play that everyone keeps talking about because i don't see it as such a big problem. mainly because i head north immediatly after respawn. i avoid the bean wars, and i try to be really careful with my life. sometimes i fail and sometimes i succeed. i tend to avoid human contact as much as possible but it still occurs and right now i'm about half and half with being killed by a complete stranger and teaming up for a while.

i just don't see it as this HUGE problem that is breaking the current in game mechanics.

Could it be related to the latest decync issues. People avoiding PvP, because it's unpredictable, when one party has bullettime and the other have slow motion stop motion?

More people + people surviving longer = longer life expectancy. People are starting to get used to how things go, and are helping the new guys as well.

Me and my 2-4 friends have been playing for the last few days without seeing a person yet. we have scavenged multiple towns, and avoid the total hot spots like cherno/elektro and NW Af. we have found heli crashes/looted countless grocery stores(damn low rate on tent spawns) we repaired a bike( i troll the zombies with it) and we just have not seen anyone in a few days. our only death was mine when i feel down stairs in a castle and my friend bugged on a ladder.

we play on a server that has between 10-25 people during the EST evening.

Just throwing out all that I can think of that could contribute to the current rise. I'm aware some of this will be updated in the next patch.

1) Lots of servers are glitching out with either zero or very little zombies.

2) Zombies in general are too easy to kill and are more of an annoyance than a threat.

3) Players using exploits to increase survival odds. Whether it be disconnecting to avoid death, or server hopping to attain the best gear.

4) Zombies not spawning in buildings the way they used to. When zombies are spawned or brought into buildings they move way too slowly.

5) While I'm sure it happens, dying from infection is something many never live long enough in general to see. I've had several multi day characters and have never had an infection.

6) Loot is too easy to come by, even without server hopping.

7) I'm sure more people have formed static groups they stick with by now compared to earlier on when most were solo.

8) Making a fire became even easier than it was before, which allows solo or group players access to cooked meat faster.

9) Hacks seem to be on the rise.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQSf3-cYWUo

10) As others have said, people are getting used to the game which is going to increase survival as well. Online resources such as maps, survival guides, and videos have also began to rise significantly.

11) Glitches and bugs such as falling off of ladders aren't occurring anymore.

Just some ideas on several factors that are contributing. Keep up the good work, Rocket!

My point is' date=' that many proclaimed "doom" about the bandit skin remove. But the opposite has been seen. I doubt the change itself has caused an increase, but something has. And bandit change hasn't resulted in substantially more bandits, and through it all we've seen a statistically dramatic increase in survival time.[/quote']

For some reason the statistics are not reflecting the reality on the servers at the moment.

From my personal experience, the removal of bandit skins resulted in a radical change in how survivors interact. Before removal more than 50% of my stranger encounters were friendly. After removal, I've only met one friendly stranger and have been killed 10+ times by trying to be friendly.

I thought someone documented a significant increase in murder rates after bandit skin removal?

My point is' date=' that many proclaimed "doom" about the bandit skin remove. But the opposite has been seen. I doubt the change itself has caused an increase, but something has. And bandit change hasn't resulted in substantially more bandits, and through it all we've seen a statistically dramatic increase in survival time.

[/quote']

Without knowing how people were dying and how they are now dying we cant say if banditry has changed in anyway. It may have gone up but life expectancy has increased aswell because people arent dying to Zed/starvation/murderous trees/rocks/doorways/ladders anymore.

Data, data, data. I cant make bricks without clay.

Ladder fix. Shit. I forgot about that. Anyway, Ander is going to pull some stats for us and we'll have a look.

didnt battlefeild just relese a new DLC? my guess is all the cod nubs have had better things to do

The ladder fix, players becoming more comfortable, and vehicles which can take hours to repair if you need to run back and forth.

Didn't the Murder by Numbers thread did show an increase in bandits and murders, before the forum wipe.

Bandits increased from 12.something % to 17.something %.

Murders increaed from 2.something to 3.something.

?

It's a combination of disconnecting and people becoming more attuned to the requirements of survival. I know my first few lives were fairly long, given that zombies spawned awkwardly in 1.5.7, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Now, my lives on average are much longer and more fruitful as I know the parameters of the game.

Disconnecting is much more rampant now, though I don't see what's preventing people from killing players outright. If I land one, or two quick shots with my M14, they're dead on the spot before they can disconnect. I don't think many people understand that you'll have to put a round in a dude to bring him down, and then fire a round into his face when he's on the ground. Most people just assume that because the dude's on the ground, he's dead. Which, in Day Z, is not the case a lot of times.

Sure, people have dodged death by disconnecting. But far more have simply been killed before they could reach Alt-F4 in my experience.

Disconnects.

I do not believe for a second that people are LESS reckless now than they were before. In my opinion, they are even more reckless because anytime the shit hits the fan, many players disconnect.

People are quitting and their character's are still alive while they dont play?

It's definitely not the disconnection before death. I had been tracking that' date=' and its actually much rarer than people think.

While 4 minute increase seems like a tiny amount, its risen within a week. On the basis of about 400,000 characters in a population of 3 million. That's pretty statistically significant. As I said, we have no idea why this is.

Time is based purely on ingame time.

[/quote']