rocket

Why is the life expectancy going up?

I am surprised noone has asked this.

But we haven't the faintest idea. It is currently calculated across all characters (ignoring those who died within a few minutes).

Given the vast swathes of people who died earlier, there must be a dramatic rise in survival times for it to be rising. Any budding statisticians have some thoughts?

Well my best bet is that people is starting to learn what is needed to survive for a longer period of time. At least thats whats happening to me, first characters were dead within a day, now I'm up to 6 days I think. Also alot of people probably have learned how to alt+f4 by now, expect it to drop again when 1.71 gets released :p

Does it count those who are not playing the game? Or does it calculate only the time that is spent in-game? Some might have been alive for days by only logging in once in a few days for short time.

What I really think has done it?

People disconnecting before they die.

I might get yelled at for even suggesting this but really, I have noticed well over 50% of the players I run into now will disconnect to avoid death, be it from other players or from zombies (Much more likely. I've met lots of people who ALWAYS disconnect to avoid zombie deaths but never player deaths)

It's an extremely well known exploit now where as most people had no idea it existed for quite a while. People now justify it by saying things like "it's a part of the game" and "it's an alpha we are supposed to use glitches like this to help test" and other things of that nature

I'm really not exaggerating, a whopping amount of people disconnect to avoid me killing them every day and I always see people legging it from zombies only to disconnect and have them all disappear.

On that note, I have noticed that it's been said in the future player's bodies will stay there for 5 seconds after disconnecting to try fix this.. and that's great. But 5 seconds isn't enough in my eyes, it needs to be at least 30 to make sure people don't just break LoS and do it.

Maybe because people don't bother trusting others any more and just evade each other as good as possible. Or more server hopping.

Is Life tracked over the actual play-time or just a difference between the current time and when the character first spawned on the coast ?

Because then just not logging in for a few days probably does wonders to "life time" as well.

Isn't it due to people playing less frequently? Maybe they don't log on for days before dying.

Or is the alive-time only counting the online-time that life?

edit: totallyRebb beat me to it.

Does it count those who are not playing the game? Or does it calculate only the time that is spent in-game? Some might have been alive for days by only logging in once in a few days for short time.

This is my tactic since I don't have alot of time to play DayZ. I just log on, eat the food I prepared from my last session, hit a farm/town for food/soda, and log off. I'm probably on only a few hours a week.

People's survival instincts have finally kicked in? After all, in all those zombie films and tv shows you have the initial outbreak victims and then the victims of the victims etc until you get us.

The survivors.

It's definitely not the disconnection before death. I had been tracking that, and its actually much rarer than people think.

While 4 minute increase seems like a tiny amount, its risen within a week. On the basis of about 400,000 characters in a population of 3 million. That's pretty statistically significant. As I said, we have no idea why this is.

Time is based purely on ingame time.

i think it's because there is a silent majority of players who are just going about their business, avoiding trouble, and staying alive.

that's been my main goal since i started playing this game. sometimes i succeed for a decent amount of time and other times i fail.

i think the most vocal proponents of the current in game systems are the ones who don't get it.

I think people are learning what works and what doesn't. What areas to avoid. How to best deal with the zombies. Why one should avoid ladders ;)

murdererhigh.png

murdererimmortal.png

Mother of god... :@

People are getting used to avoiding zombies/players, i guess.

actually it's not pretty difficult to avoid or get rid of zombies. people learn how they behave and how to get loot without triggering them aggro. if there's a horde behind you, just run away or into a building where you can take them out easily. i think we need more and stronger zombies. it's kinda too easy.

also, as already mentioned by 2 posters above, there's the disconnect exploit that let's you survive even deadly situations and i guess, and this counts for my behavior 2, avoiding other players as much as possible, because 95% of them will shoot you on sight or even if you helped them.

i think the survive rate would be even higher without the "respawn for better location" behavior and cherno/elektro/south coast Deathmatch area

The game has a steep learning curve, maybe the players that are new to Arma are finally getting better.

I'm thinking a lot of the idiots and "CoD kids" are leaving after finding out that DayZ isn't what they were looking for.

The lowest life expectancy had occured when the game was getting a lot of media. Lot's of new players were coming in at the time and hadn't a clue what they were doing. As time progresses, players get better.

I'm thinking a lot of the idiots and "CoD kids" are leaving after finding out that DayZ isn't what they were looking for.

i hope this so much, sir.

i'd like to meet survivors that won't shoot me all the time

I think it was more the 75 murders...

To the point, I guess people just adapted, and became better at the game.

Also, with the removal of the banditskin, people gets WAY more careful around other players.

One other reason could be that more and more guys are duplicating their items. Last night i saw 6 guys with all the same gear. They also got NV Goggles etc.

i hope this so much' date=' sir.

i'd like to meet survivors that won't shoot me all the time

[/quote']

every time somebody posts something about shoot on site all i can think about is the scene from The Walking Dead when they are in the bar and the Sherriff character has to shoot the two dudes because they were going to end up doing bad things. the two guys he killed were looking out for their group just as rick was looking out for his. he murdered them because he had too just as they would have murdered him if they needed to.

murder is going to be a part of life in a post apocalyptic world. simply because everything will de-evolve down to the lowest common denominator.