Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

Just play on a server with first person only, with all the support, you guys should be able to fill a server by now. Your precious first person servers doesn't fill up automatically, if you constantly join 36/40 full 3rd person servers.

Don't forced it upon others, just because you're not patient enough fill a server yourself.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

I don't get this debate. It is obvious, people want to keep 3rd person, for whatever reasons.

So, why not keep it, but change it. It has already been suggested: In 3rd person, the camera should only render objects, that the player could also in 1st person. This would make everyone happy. You could still have your 3rd person for walking around, but you couldn't abuse it anymore. You'd still have to peek around corners and such.

I play on first person servers only, wouldn't mind if there was no option at all for 3rd person. Intense, immersive and hardcore is how I like this mod. Its just too bad that when noob crutches like crosshairs, nametags and magical periscopes are a server option like they are now, it seems impossible to find a veteran/expert server with more than 1-5 people playing.

"waa waa i play 1st person so iwant all others to be like me"

Sarcasm btw 3rd person ftw, i never play 1st person on any game, dont like it, looks odd

But i wouldnt try tell everyone else they should play the same as i do either

That the problem with this world, people want control others all time and make them do the same as they do.

Diversity ftw :)

immersion would be great with first only..but is good to change a bit sometimes

Though I'll mostly play first person, I say no. There's times when I'm prone and being careful and would still aggro zombies if not for the ability to look around in third person. Plus some of my friends likely won't play unless it stays third person. I say leave this one up to the server, like it is in the mod.

It'll be amazing if they removed it in standalone, not because I prefer first person, but because there'll be no end to the crying on the forums. It'll be like when the Makarov was removed, except x1000.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

There's times when I'm prone and being careful and would still aggro zombies if not for the ability to look around in third person.

If ever there was a reason to keep it in. It makes the game less challenging/intense. Nor is this a cheap shot.

If the game were first person only the prone postions usefullness would be radiclly increased. The stealth/infiltration potential would increase exponentially. It would actually be worth your while to crawl because you would not have the unfair conidtion that somebody can simply periscope your prone postion when they would be out of a direct LOS. Knowing that a persons LOS needs to be directly on you to see you means you no longer need to take into account magic mirrors. Players who like to overwatch an area would need to put their body at hazzard, making a silhouette. Third person unfairly punishes scouting and stealth.

As it stands when two people come face to face and both hit prone DayZ becomes a boring sub game of submarine. If First Person only is introduced people will have no other option but to move into a different postion OR knowning that prone actually gives you concealment due to a realistic LOS can now acutally hope to crawl away. Trying to crawl away in third person servers is suicide. They unfairly spot your movement. As it stands when i go prone, i go third person instantlly and I do not move. Not because i like it but becuase I want the same advantage the other person might have. Remove Third Person->increase the tension.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

I use, third person when traveling on foot and landing a heli, and first person when flying/driving/shooting.

I say we keep both perspectives. I would never be able to land a heli on the roof of a hospital only in first person.

Tried to fly a huey in 1st person earlier today.

All I can say is " :|"

Couldn't find a mercenary/expert server with more than 3 players though, so I was playing 1st person in the usual 3dp:on ch:off servers, just to try it out for a few hours.

I have to admit, the scares are more scary when you can only see the way you're facing.

I wouldn't quite say I've converted,(still prefer to see my character when I'm on hour long jogs) but when the aiming deadzone is at about 50%, first person definitely feels more immersive.

I've never had so much fun running around in the dark with a flashlight.

EDIT: I think the main fissure in the discussion is the difference between people who see DayZ as a PvP game, and those who, like me, see it as more than that.

Before anyone decides they would never give up 3dp, they should play a whole day without it.

I know there are those who sufferer motion sickness, I've heard increasing FOV helps. I hope it's addressed in SA.

Aiming Deadzone at half, and FOV of around 80` makes it feel a LOT better I think.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

If ever there was a reason to keep it in. It makes the game less challenging/intense.

Thats actually the reason NOT to keep it in.

Play game xyz if the challenge in is too much for you.

Edited by Azrail

I was reluctant to post in this thread but however.

Taking 3DP away is changing the game so much, I got into playing DayZ because it gave you more choice than other games on the market. It covered 1st person and 3rd person which most games don't. The added bonus of these views MADE DayZ in my opinion, "It's your story" I want to see it from every angle possible, how I want, when I want.

Start taking things out of the original idea and your wanting a whole different game altogether. because it will change the game your all used to. End of the day you play as you like but remember limiting it loses the immersion for a lot of other players.

I would hope rocket has done his homework and adjusted the Field of view in First person view, this could help most players and perhaps sway playing styles with regards to view.

1 question, Does either view affect the server when it is hosted?

• Like 2

Tried to fly a huey in 1st person earlier today.

All I can say is " :|"

All I can say is learn to fly. Flying in 1st person is really really easy and just requires you to look around you and be aware of your surroundings.

As long as 3dp is a glorified wall hack like it is now it has no place in the SA.

• Like 1

Thats actually the reason NOT to keep it in.

Play game xyz if the challenge in is too much for you.

Irony. Missed.

As long as 3dp is a glorified wall hack like it is now it has no place in the SA.
I was trying to support your case, due to the tension gained from increasing the need to be aware, but you, in particular, sound like you're just butt-hurt from getting beat on 3dp servers.

I won't call it a "glorified wall hack" because that's not the case at all. There are just certain situations where the range of a players view becomes seriously unnatural.

The angle of movement of the camera should, at the very least, be reduced a LOT. Especially while prone or at corners.

I, and plenty others, just get SERIOUSLY bored of running around for hours in 1st person. You may not agree, but the 3dp cam serves to relieve some of that boredom.

As for flying; it's not a problem. Only landing is a problem, and you can usually wing it.

If there were more piloting animations, 1st person helo would be pure bad-ass.

Don't make deductions based on emoticons. ^_^ T'is a whole nother language.

I know a lot of people who never play 1st person games yet love 3rd person games, i like both, the only flaw is double tapping - on num pad in 3rd person zooms out too much, meaning you can look right over a 6ft wall to the floor on the other side. When this is done in cars you get a birds eye view of everything like you've just climbed a 30ft pole.

This is meant to be ultra realistic. Can you go 3rd person in real life? No. Also, you can turn head bob off if you don't like it.

Unfortonatly the thing you cant turn off is that shaky screen you get when you are in pain. Third person is really the only option for now unless you can tollerate a headache. Hopefully they make the symtoms for pain a little less iritating

Unfortonatly the thing you cant turn off is that shaky screen you get when you are in pain. Third person is really the only option for now unless you can tollerate a headache. Hopefully they make the symtoms for pain a little less iritating

There are painkillers everywhere?!?!

A lot wrong with what you just said.

Very few exist or have the numbers to make it interesting for players.

That should tell you what most players want right there.

Own choice? Not really, its a multiplayer game. I follow where people go. Then this really inane comment saying third perosn is an imagined disadvantage. Thought experiment for you. I'm hiding ontop of the school in electro by pressing V I'm hiding in the sandbox shape block ontop of the school roof. When i go into First Person all i can see is cement around me and the interior of the building because I'm glitched and hiding in a solid object. Then I turn on Third Person I now have a 360 degree field of view of the entire town. CLEARLY this is an "imagined" dissadvantge when player X is walking into town.

Second. I'm walking down a hallway and try as i might i cannot get the camera to peek around the corner. Little do i know there is a player crouched at the end of the hallway peeking at me from safety. CLEARLY this is an "imagined dissadvantage". This is not opinion it is a fact that third person is unfairly balanced towards people laying ambush/defending/sniping/spotting.

Any player prone to crying about PvP should embrace first person only. They are dying most of the time because of third person chiefly due to the unfair situational awarness that is actually killing you. Changing to first person changes everything. Players who periscope ontop of buildings/behind walls will have no clue what to do. Snipers/spotters would have to crouch more, previous locations would cease to be relevant. Players would need to acutally stand on the edge of buildings/peek around cover to see blind spots. Essentially your eyes therefore your body needs is put at hazzard to earn information about the battlefield. Currentlly your ghost self does all of this for free and then some.

Watch any high tier PvP video. It is 90% third person then switches to first person for the kill. Third person is nice for the asthetics, place and context, navigation. It spoils suspense and combat.

I'm not opposed to third person in all situations. Perhaps actions like opening a backback for current loadout and skin appearence could give us a third person perspective. Others like getting into cars, building things, gutting animals.

• Like 1

I use, third person when traveling on foot and landing a heli, and first person when flying/driving/shooting.

I say we keep both perspectives. I would never be able to land a heli on the roof of a hospital only in first person.

You prolly dont want to be in a heli with me when I do barrel roles, loops and S-twists.

I would rather stick to just having the servers decide on whether they enable third person or disable it.

Hell - No. Having peripheral vision (which is what 3rd person view supplies) is a must in this game. I don't want to be limited to first person view. There are Pros and Cons... Pros are people won't be able to peak corners without really looking, see over small walls or roof-top ledges. The only real advantage is PVP and making some zomb spotting..., Wooo. Cons tunnel vision that I wouldn't have IRL because I have a thing called peripheral vision...

First Person only would kill it - rocket already explained why 3rd person should be allowed...

The game is better with third person disabled. There's a lot more action because people can't just sit in a bush and see everything without putting themselves at risk. Third person makes you feel more comfortable... In a zombie apocalypse... Doesn't belong.

If you can't land in first person, you need to practice. I can do it pretty well with only a couple hours behind the stick. Driving is easier in first person imo, much easier to judge turning and shit, but I've played a decent amount of racing games in first person so I guess I'm used to it.

There is alot more tention in first person, and personally I find it alot more tactile in a combat situation. At the same time I have gotten used to switching to third person for my jogs through the country and to make crawling through the dirt...well, easier :) . For all those that support 1st person only, make that support apparent and populate servers with 3rd person disabled - I have a couple in my favourites but there is never anyone on board - might have to put my money where my mouth is!

Also, this might have been said, but a 'peek up' function while prone would make crawling around in first person much more apealing - I think Arma 3 has alot more 'tacticle' movements/animations than peek left and right - would be cool to see that in DayZ.

EDIT: First person is the ONLY way to fly or drive!!

Edited by Hoik

I'd prefer 1st person only, but I don't expect it to happen

I hope there will at least be 1st person only servers like there are now