rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

YES but:

Im in favour of starting without a gun' date=' But i'd like to see melee weapons in first (if poss) or reduced ammo

[/quote']

Increases the desperation at the outset, makes zombies more dangerous and might foment co-operation.

The only time I didn’t get off the beach was somebody on the hill that had found a long gun and had come back to the coast for easy pickings. Without any weapons bagging defenseless players may become the next great thing to do in Dayz. I’m for trying it because this is an Alpha and we need to try new stuff. If it doesn’t work change it back.

Right now this is impossible, Zombies if agroed are impossible to loose, melee won't work because zombies attack reach is 5 or so feet. Get to close and chomp!

Right now this is impossible' date=' Zombies if agroed are impossible to loose, melee won't work because zombies attack reach is 5 or so feet. Get to close and chomp!

[/quote']

this is all changing in 1.7.1

NO

If you could start with a melee weapon then sure! Otherwise you should still start with a gun but limit it to, two ammo clips.

NO

It's not being harder that makes me say no, its just that probably one of the reasons that makes a lot of people continue playing after dying, is precisely the reason that you already spawn with a nice survival kit. Having to search for a weapon is just boring for many. Lot's of people aren't hardcore dayz fans, many were brought to this mod by word of friends, and this change would probably be too much for most people. I don't know if the decreasing of a player base is a good reason but it would probably happen because of the frustration, as it's already been said. Perhaps a good compromise is having less clips. Obviously if the mod gets melee weapons, this might have to be discussed again.

Thanks

YES

Give it a try. This is an alpha right? Experiment with ideas, see how it affects the game. You can always revert the decision, or maybe expand it. Experiment with other equipment / ways to fight or survive initially.

Since some people are saying this is a simulator. I should spawn in with 3 pistols, 4 AR-15 variants, an 870, and a Remington 700...

Sometimes you boobs just need to consider a bit of gameplay mechanics here.

YES

In favor of less ammo, no gun may be an extreme, zombie defense needed. Prefer this to mass ammo though.

...' date=' and no side chat, ...

[/quote']

Is side chat definitely being removed then? Because I have some serious reservations about that: even though it is more realistic not to have it, removing it gives clans and groups that meet up outside of game an overwhelming advantage over people who don't have RL friends that play (like me :( ), which they *already* have. I have people I play with who I can only contact via game talk at the moment. If they die or fall foul of one of the back to coast bugs then that's it, I may never hear from them again...

This has to be the dumbest fucking idea in the litany of horrendous ideas that this forum has generated.

Because?

I thought it was a retarded idea too. Until I actually sat down and thought it through' date=' then I thought [i']maybe it might be worth a look.

All of your ideas are gearing people further and further towards going through outrageous measures to ensure that they don't die. Here's a list of your issues that people are avoiding by going to 24/7 daylight servers running 1.6.0.1.

1)Tent placement is currently fucked, because if you place a tent there's a horrendously high chance of clipping inside of it and breaking bones/bleeding/getting knocked out. I watched 5 tents go up with that result happening every time.

2)You can't see anything at night so nobody plays on nighttime servers anymore unless they have NVGs. Furthermore zombies are now drawn to your flares/chemlights so now you have to deal with both DMR toting NVG snipers as well as the hordes.

3)Vehicle spawns are an exercise in frustration because there's no indication as to whether it is actually fixable thanks to things not reporting correctly. Currently all helicopters even when marked as green for everything have unfixable fuel leaks. So if you get that nice helicopter filled up, you're going to crash inside of a minute because the fuel has leaked.

4)You implement a system that bans and punishes people for logging out to avoid dying, but then promote the use of the beta patch that removes the notification that people disconnected. You then state that a 5 second logout process will go towards addressing this.

5)The new debug forest has a horrendously high chance of spawning you in the desert or in the ocean if you have a non-survivor skin on (as several dozen bug report threads can attest to).

6)You have no mechanism to actually track who spawns in hacked weapons to be able to ban them unless somebody kills them. You additionally have no set weapons list that everyone, including the forum moderators, can look at and go "YES THIS IS A HACKED WEAPON.", so new players are left wondering if they're going to be banned for using whatever new gun they managed to pry from the hands of grizzled veterans with their trusty Makarov.

7) As it stands you have server admins repeatedly resetting their servers to make sure their precious tent and vehicle cities aren't being raided.

8) Repeatedly respawning causes you to get the PVP timer and pass out for 3 minutes. What fun.

You're essentially removing all of the actual fun out of the game in the everincreasing pursuit of "realism", and it's showing in the utter lack of objectives or things to do in Day Z beyond bean wars or fixing cars that don't respawn. Couple the possibility of not spawning with a weapon with the increased zombie vision and responsiveness and you're going to decrease the average player life to below 10 minutes. The difficulty curve for the early game should be high, but it shouldn't be a sheer cliff.

YES

What self respecting bandit would say no to a beach front 'Bean Vending Machine'? Can soak up the rays and be fed and watered untill I'm too fat to run away from the Zombies!

On another note about this new zombie upgrade with line of site etc...Are these rotten humans still going to be able to run faster than Ussain Bolt? One thing that bugs me is that sometimes you have to wait till they're almost on you to slot them. In my opinion there should be more but slower zombies so then you'd have to worry about ammo as the horde shambles after you.

YES

People will most likely find other survivors, with no weapons, and team up. More teamplay + more dangerous

YES

Finding someone to team up with who has a gun has incentive' date=' and the person who has the gun feels more inclined to be "trusting".

[/quote']

VERY interesting point... but do you actually think this would happen? Interested to hear other thoughts on this.

YES

This has actually changed my mind. People will be way more trusting since every man and his dog won't have a gun, and if someone does they'll be less likely to kill you if you are unarmed (no threat).

Have any of the people who believe this actually played this Mod? For the guy who needs beans its an invitation to spawn camp. in two weeks ive run across excatly two players who didnt shoot me in the back after droping food for them and leaving. I was no threat. I died.

YES

...BUT go further, start with 1xBeans, 1xWaterbottle, 2xBandage, 1xPainkillers.

...AND respawns MUST be over whole map, to avoid spawn camping.

if you want to turn this into a CoD deathmatch with one unarmed side its a good idea.

Or do it but add a mechanic where each murder makes you a little easier for zeds to spot. then you have to think before you kill.

All of your ideas are gearing people further and further towards going through outrageous measures to ensure that they don't die.

Yes. That's correct.

Here's a list of your issues that people are avoiding by going to 24/7 daylight servers running 1.6.0.1.

- I'm asking why you think spawning without a weapon is the "dumbest fucking idea in the litany of horrendous ideas".

- You've quoted a list of issues with the servers you want fixed mixed with some veiled insults.

We're discussing this idea, if you can contribute and explain why the idea is so dumb - maybe we can come up with a better idea.

NO

spawn.. go to find a gun.. die..

Repeat.

Repeat again.

so one in so forth.

This will only lead to People who can be lethal and people that are easy targets. and it also forces people in to playing a style of game play they may not like. now you can play stealthy, or you can barge in guns blazing. with this you are forced to play stealthy.

Do not do this.

Have any of the people who believe this actually played this Mod? For the guy who needs beans its an invitation to spawn camp. in two weeks ive run across excatly two players who didnt shoot me in the back after droping food for them and leaving. I was no threat. I died.

Have you read this thread? They won't HAVE beans.

YES

I believe it's a necessary test to take. It could be the solution to early killing on sight, or it could worsen the problem. There's only one way to find out.

Side Note: Adding/removing start equipment can't be difficult, so the test is necessary but comes at a low expense of development time.