rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

i have a pistol and a revolver in my house right now and many other people own guns irl

Remember, Chernarus is supposed to be post-Soviet country. Not a lot of guns in homes there.

i have a pistol and a revolver in my house right now and many other people own guns irl

Remember' date=' Chernarus is supposed to be post-Soviet country. Not a lot of guns in homes there.

[/quote']

was post soviet russia really devoid of weaponery? i'm not sure if this is accurate but i have no evidence to the contrary.

...all it takes is a player on a hill sniping...

Currently' date=' there is significant incentive to kill new players, because:

- They could kill you (they are a threat).

- They have stuff you need (they are an opportunity).

If they have no weapon, and only bandages. Then they present:

- A waste of ammo (a risk).

- Revealing your presence (another risk).

- Attracting Zombies (yet another risk).

The only reward would be the satisfaction of killing a player, which represents a small number of players. And such players would shoot regardless, and if they're sniping, your Mak does nothing.

...It looks like Rocket already made up his mind...

Not at all, I'm simply trying to get some feedback on whether to even bother trying it. It's a very trivial change, code wise, to try this out. I just wanted to see whether it was something the community supports trying.

I'm still dubious as to whether this is workable. It might be far to difficult to actually get your first weapon.

Yes,

It would make the game more challenging, and worth it to hunt the nearest area instead of running into the forest and hiding.

Or, if enough people are against the idea Rocket, how about a gun with 1 clip? or even less, like 2 rounds? enough to save you from the one zombie that heard you, but not enough to start a handgun war.

IT ALL DEPENDS UPON THE NEW MECHANIC OF BEING ABLE TO HIDE FROM AGGRO'd ZOMBIES.

If that mechanic is half assed than this concept would fail. If it works and is cool, then this idea has legs.

YES

Perhaps reduce the supplies in your inventory when spawning and add some of that basic stuff being able to spawn by those boats on the shore?

YES

It's not like the Makaroni is even capable of damaging players from more than three meters.

Maybe add the ability to chuck beans at zombies.

I headshot a guy from like 50 meters with the makarov, but only once. It was a pretty amazing shot.

Opens a new horizon for stelth and owerall feeling. Adds to the horror aspect of the game, remember the Amnesia (no weapons= vulnerability feeling).

YES

- They could kill you (they are a threat).

This is why I kill people who've just spawned. Don't want to lose all my stuff just to get headshot from a Makarov.

With this change, I'd let people follow me just for the fun.

... Although I imagine lots of people would 'experiment' with these people that don't have guns. Shoot their legs, lure zombies to them, knock them unconscious with empty tincans etc... but I don't think that'd be a very large majority. And it'd at least be different from getting killed on sight.

Yes.

Let's try shit out.

YES

As I'm reading through this topic I'm thinking about something else - spawn kits. It would be interesting idea if there were differences in players' starting gear. From the top of my head I could suggest few:

1. Makarov' date=' 1 clip, 1 bandage

2. Compass, map, 1 bandage

3. Hatchet, matches, knife, 1 bandage

4. Backpack, Road flare, 1 bandage

5. 2x Beans, water bottle, 1 bandage

6. Painkillers, Morphine, 2x bandage

etc.

The kits should be balanced. I think it would be exciting to find out what you're starting with.

Why bandage? Because first hit usually means bleeding, without it would be too hard.

[/quote']

There is mileage in this idea. Builds cooperation and is a nod in the direction of character classes. I think the "beans" guy should have a flashlight as well however.

The risk however is that the guy with the gun just needs to hang around near spawn locations to get the rest of the kit...

Yes.

1) This will teach players to value every shot. That the simple makarov you need to ern. Not just shot the hole 6 clips, killl yourself and then respaun and again and again...

2) Beans, bandages, water thats normal for man who just found himself on the shore. But pistol that is too much for simple man. Even in zombie apocal. And 6 clips is also too much.

Hear me out...

It's one of the most intriguing suggestions I've seen. I considered it right at the start of the project. With the new zombie line-of-sight calculations and the ability to loose them' date=' this might actually work

PRO:

- People spawning in can't quickly get into griefing

- Recovering your old loot becomes difficult and risky

- Add's a whole new element and gameplay at the start

- Maybe adds some authenticity, who has a handgun at home?

CON:

- It's [i']fucking annoying having to sneak and run around to find a gun (believe me, I just tried it)

- You can spawn many times before you actually have a life that finds a weapon

- Hackers, for the moment, will reveille in this change until their loopholes are closed

In twenty words or less, formatted with YES or NO in caps the line above, say your thoughts on trying this out

For the sake of efficiency, I will delete all posts that don't follow the above exactly, or don't add anything to the argument. It's not a poll, its a discussion. If you don't have anything to ADD then please don't post.

YES! why the hell not, lets try it out! Sounds like a lot of fun, I love challenges

This has to be the dumbest fucking idea in the litany of horrendous ideas that this forum has generated.

Because?

I thought it was a retarded idea too. Until I actually sat down and thought it through' date=' then I thought [i']maybe it might be worth a look.

YES.

Initial challenge upped, less grieving, completely different initial gameplay. This would be a major, welcome, and rage inducing change;

(Over 20 words: Death means something)

Yes.

As you said, who has a handgun at home. That's realistic enough for me, it also means some people will have handguns, some wont.

YES

This game is a simulator, spawning without a gun makes it more realistic.. but there would be some people that do have a gun so maybe make there a really small chance of spawning with a gun. With that you would have to make it so that you can't repeatedly spawn over and over because people would do that until they start with a gun.

YES.!

-Would stop coastal makarov duels. If you find a gun, you'll want to keep it/not die.

-Would make the coast less ridiculous

-Game is too easy, would add challenge

No.

This has to be the dumbest fucking idea in the litany of horrendous ideas that this forum has generated.

You're so stupid it hurts to read what you wrote. Mad bandit is mad.

YES but:

Im in favour of starting without a gun, But i'd like to see melee weapons in first (if poss) or reduced ammo

I'm still dubious as to whether this is workable. It might be far to difficult to actually get your first weapon.

So I imagine the percentages work like this:

Chance of stuff spawning = a

Area of stuff spawning = b

Specific object spawning (in this case mak pistol) = c

So, if you feel its to difficult to get a starter weapon why not increase a, b or c? Or just increase c?