rocket

20 words or less: Spawning without a weapon

NO

Bandits already kill you when you have a weapon.

Without a weapon they don't see you as a threat, so will kill you for your beans. I'm pretty certain they're not after a few makarov rounds when they're sniping at you from 200m away...

YES

I support this. Its more realistic, its a drastic change which the only kind of change that could properly address the current "deathmatching".

Pro:

Fresh spawns shooting anyone they see since they have have nothing to lose will be a thing of the past.

Makes sense to team up with another survivor who has a gun if you are unarmed.

Trust will return in general on the beaches, you wont fear what cant kill you, co-op play will return, without nerfing the PvP for those that want it.

Bandits are drawn to beach spawn Makarov fire, no pistols, no gunfire, Bandits have a harder time tracking players.

Con:

No defense for fresh spawns against bandit campers along the coast.

IMO pros outwiegh cons, people fear change Rocket and may even resist it, dispite it being for the overall good of the game. You probably suggested this because you, at the very least, dont think its a terrible idea. Try not to let people sway your judgement on this one, you have a good idea, it is worth trying out, nothing to stop you removing it if it doesnt work in the end.

YES.

MAYBE.

If there was some melee or some move so you had some defense/offense, but make it very mild and ineffectual.

For example, if a new player managed to sneak upon a camping bandit. Should really let them try and snap the bandits neck.

(sorry for over 20, impossible to fit that in less) for me anyhow)

Yes..only if

... newly spawned players are unlootable for 10-15 minutes. It would take some of the incentive away from killing a unarmed player if your can't loot their beans.

YES

But have random starting points for players instead of the beach. All small villages/towns, airfields, etc. Would hamper camping.

BOTH

Make it a server option.

Personally, NO

If you don't want to be griefed by Makarov beanbandits, don't head for the city, obviously.

YES.

As you said griefing will be decreased' date=' and this adds more toughness to the game

[/quote']

Actually it opens up new forms of griefing.

EXAMPLE:

3 guyswith guys come from up north, they can go around killing everyone, stealing the weapon/ammo spawns and just dump anything they don't want into a hedge/the sea and let it despawn.

Doesn't solve griefing at all. Just makes new challenges for griefers while counting spawn killing slightly.

When someone finds a gun' date=' whats stopping them from running all over the coast killing?

[/quote']

Lack of ammo because none will be lootable.

NO

Player's shouldn't spawn with a firearm, but they should spawn with or have easy access to improvised weaponry. Clubs, tire irons, boards, hammers, etc. Nothing that allows someone to grief/deathmatch, but something that allows a player to deal with zombies - to a degree.

YES

Sounds great. Also gives a level playing field after several party-fouls (ala-hacking security), own-server-farming) etc.

YES

It should greatly decrease the ''Spawn and sprint around killing people'' attitude, it will also make other handguns useful (G17).

Not having a weapon upon spawning is only realistic if this happens in Europe. This game area is called Chernarus and is based off of Czech landscapes but this is a hypothetical landscape, not determined by modern day political and national lines.

So, anything really goes. I live in the U.S. and I have more than 20 weapons inside my house right now so not starting with a weapon would be highly unrealistic, considering everyone I know either shoots or hunts.

NO

problem is easy to understand:

pros

I will rush to get a weapon and kill players looting other goods for fast/easy gearing

cons

Everyone will rush to get a weapon and get killed by the first one that will find it...

So it's globally a NO

YES

Most people don't come out of their homes with handguns, so I'd say not to have them spawn with one. My reason is; we can run around, loot and all of that, right? Sometimes we aren't lucky and there's no weapon in the town you spawned in. You're basically screwed at that point. If there's a way to script a melee system with bats, tire irons, etc. then definitely take it away, because there are more weapons in the game, and they'd be easier to find than a gun.

No

When someone finds a gun' date=' whats stopping them from running all over the coast killing?

[/quote']

YES

nothing, and it has to be this way

(no, i'm not that type of bandit)

Most people don't come out of their homes with handguns' date=' so I'd say not to have them spawn with one. My reason is; we can run around, loot and all of that, right? Sometimes we aren't lucky and there's no weapon in the town you spawned in. You're basically screwed at that point. If there's a way to script a melee system with bats, tire irons, etc. then definitely take it away, because there are more weapons in the game, and they'd be easier to find than a gun.

[/quote']

Like I said before, having a handgun to start out would be realistic if this was based in the US, but not realistic if it is based in Europe. The problem with that is that Chernarus is a hypothetical landscape in a hypothetical world. People would need to start with a weapon since a melee system cannot be implemented because of the limitations of the engine.

The very first time i played this mod i thought, what would it be like to start with no weapons, i thought it would be awesome, think of the tension of meeting people, they may be armed and you might not.

I think that yes it should be a new feature, coupled with the now (soon to be in 1.7.0.1) more dangerous zombies it will actually give players a reason to be stealthy, right now zombies are easy,

Here is a scenario - if a player starts with no weapons and decides to run through a town looking for loot. subsequently attracts zombies. they run the risk of dying straight away unless they try to hide from the zeds. (and that would be awesome and heart racing).

Now in the same scenario the player has a macarov, runs into a town and attracts zombies, runs away turns around every few seconds and shoots them in the head. Much less interesting to play imo.

[edit] also i think for new players seeing their first zombie would be a much more terrifying encounter.

But i think weapon spawn chance would need to be increased to accommodate the amount of weapons needed to arm new players.

Also spawning without the macarov would stop everyone looking like they are pointing hanguns at each other. Maybe there is a mod that could be incorporated into the game to holster a sidearm. even if it is the only weapon on the player.

YES

I wanted to suggest it for quite some time but never got around to do it.

YES

Though I would prefer newly spawned characters to be stripped of most (if not all?) their gear. Perhaps this would discourage bandits (griefers are a different matter) from killing people on the coast, because their loot is just not worth the hassle.

YES.

Fewer rifles too. Pistol should last you A LONG TIME and feels more authentic than everybody having military equipment.