rocket

Pending Update 1.7.1 Details

I'm so glad they won't be running like maniacs anymore. :D

Also we can hide now! Even better. Good update Rocket.

Lemme preface this by saying I'm a software tools and test developer for a game company' date=' avid gamer, and have spent years doing tech support.

Getting this game to run was an extreme hassle. Getting this game to run now even seems like a bigger hassle.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun, but the process to keep playing this game is almost as hard as sticking somebody unfamiliar with Linux in front of a Linux box with fullscreen terminal up and telling them to browse the internet there.

Thinking about doing other things until the beta patch is released and coming back to DayZ then.

[/quote']

Then you must be having some problems or doing something wrong, 'cause when I installed the mod back in 1.6 I had no problems at all. Yeah, sometimes the game lags or you get "retrying to authenticate" or something like that, but if you install that new ArmA 2 Beta Patch it fixes "retrying to authenticate" and makes the game run much smoother. I used to lag on lowest settings with 1920x1080 resolution, now I can play on very high with 50fps. And, really, the game is so much fun any hassle you have getting it to work is going to be worth it.

P.S: I know how to install a GPU and stuff like that, but as far as being able to write scripts and stuff like that, I have no idea what I'm doing and I installed the mod with ease. Yes, it could use an auto-installer or something like that, but if you follow instructions on how to install you should be fine.

It's not a question of my technical ability, it's the question of the hassle. I'm more than competent and confident enough to get the game running. I did so in 1.6, and I could do so again. My job has far more complicated things going on than this, spanning 3 operating systems.

I don't want to spend over an hour trying to get all my friends up and running to play again. I probably will, but it's a PITA. The proof lies in a ton of the posts on this thread asking why they can't get their installation working.

Funny, I'm a complete doofus and have never had any difficulty installing and running the mod.

Install base game, add dayz files.... Then, with arms beta incorporated, it's just get latest beta, get latest dayz, make sure to run arms in beta..... Works like a charm, from 1.5 to present.

Maybe your knowledge over complicates the task.

Edit: I was thinking... I'm pretty sure I saw or heard rocket say that an easier install method was a priority. Not for this patch, but as an overall goal.... So maybe as you say, wait it out.

Don't forget:

Steam version: Muck with your registry, create custom shortcut (or set launch options in steam shortcut properties).

Neither is a challenge for me, just doesn't mean I want to do it

Again, it's not an issue of complication for me. It's an issue of hassle, and for others it can be a daunting and challenging task. I deal with hassle at work, and I thrive off of the challenge professionally. This, this is my leisure time. I want to be able to sit down and play games with my friends.

As for Rocket wanting to make the process easier, I would rank that as a higher priority than content and performance updates. Making the game accessible should be a top priority outside of crash & blocking issues. I would also say that releasing something on a beta update build of a released product is bad form.

As for Rocket wanting to make the process easier' date=' I would rank that as a higher priority than content and performance updates. Making the game accessible should be a top priority outside of crash & blocking issues. I would also say that releasing something on a beta update build of a released product is bad form.

[/quote']

Its not really hard downloading 6-7 rar files, extracting them into two folders @DayZ/Addons & putting them into operation arrowhead folder /w launch options is it?

As for Rocket wanting to make the process easier' date=' I would rank that as a higher priority than content and performance updates. Making the game accessible should be a top priority outside of crash & blocking issues. I would also say that releasing something on a beta update build of a released product is bad form.

[/quote']

Its not really hard downloading 6-7 rar files, extracting them into two folders @DayZ/Addons & putting them into operation arrowhead folder /w launch options is it?

Yes, because I also have to:

Open RegEdit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2, create a string value, download and install a BETA TEST PATCH BUILD of ArmA 2 and install it.

But, lets not forget what it took for me to originally get the game running:

Install ArmA II: OA, Install ArmA II Demo/Free, Copy ArmA II Free's Addons folder over to OA's folder, launch the game, set the mod, restart the game, test if worked.

Are you going to tell me that this is acceptable in PC gaming in 2012?

I understand hiccups due to all the various PC builds out there, but base setup and updating should not be a challenge.

[/quote']

Open RegEdit.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2, create a string value, download and install a BETA TEST PATCH BUILD of ArmA 2 and install it.

Install ArmA II: OA, Install ArmA II Demo/Free, Copy ArmA II Free's Addons folder over to OA's folder, launch the game, set the mod, restart the game, test if worked.

I understand hiccups due to all the various PC builds out there, but base setup and updating should not be a challenge.

Theres half ur problem, ur using arma2 free.

Last time i checked arma2 free wasnt allowing mods so this long work around is justified ;)

[/quote']

Last time i checked arma2 free wasnt allowing mods so this long work around is justified ;)

No, I'm using ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, which does support mods, but doesn't have all the required files to run DayZ, which are included in the ArmA II Free Addon folder. I bought 4 copies of ArmA II to play DayZ, the economical choice was to save myself $40.

you should never have to mess about in the registry. rename the stock OA file, copy and paste the beta executable in the OA root, along with setting steam launch options takes care of it all.

[/quote']

I think that you are doing it wrong with steam... I didn't have to touch my steam install, just used http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241 to get the game to launch the beta version CO, add the dayz mod to the mod group, and set any cool settings you want (no splash, no pause). Hit the create shortcut button, and then copy the target and working directory into a third party game in Steam.

You also realize that:

1. This is a MOD, not a standalone game, MOD's generally require a bit of effort to install (Just had to rename a file and shit to install Third Age: Total War, not difficult, but more tedious that click button, install game).

2. This MOD is in ALPHA. Installation ease is not a priority, I doubt it's even top 10 on the devs todo list. ALPHA is for creating, implementing, and early testing of new GAMEPLAY FEATURES, not EASE OF USE, that comes later.

The combination of these two obviously results in a sometimes troublesome installation, but, it's easily resolved by simply taking your time, and going about installation correctly, the first time. I've set DayZ up several times on multiple computers, and servers, and the installation has been nothing but straightforward each time. This is because I researched a bit, and made sure I knew exactly what I was going to do.

[/quote']

No, I'm using ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead, which does support mods, but doesn't have all the required files to run DayZ, which are included in the ArmA II Free Addon folder. I bought 4 copies of ArmA II to play DayZ, the economical choice was to save myself $40.

Seem's quite cheap as you can get the two-bundle for £25/$25?

For anybody who complains, remember this is alpha, you want to play it, be ready to configure files, ctd and cry. So yes this is acceptable for 2012 gaming because you're playing a mod that is "alpha" and still in the stages of development. bBe happy you get to play it while its in this state.

When playing Arma 2 without a total conversion mod you most likely won't use the beta patches, and tying that to DayZ, again its in development.

Hope you understand, peace.

[/quote']

I think that you are doing it wrong with steam... I didn't have to touch my steam install, just used http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8241 to get the game to launch the beta version CO, add the dayz mod to the mod group, and set any cool settings you want (no splash, no pause). Hit the create shortcut button, and then copy the target and working directory into a third party game in Steam.

You also realize that:

1. This is a MOD, not a standalone game, MOD's generally require a bit of effort to install (Just had to rename a file and shit to install Third Age: Total War).

2. This MOD is in ALPHA. Installation ease is not a priority, I doubt it's even top 10 on the devs todo list. ALPHA is for creating, implementing, and early testing of new GAMEPLAY FEATURES, not EASE OF USE, that comes later.

Thanks for the tool suggestion, but I don't use game tools not developed by the game developers.

Thanks for the tool suggestion' date=' but I don't use game tools not developed by the game developers.

[/quote']

Haha... What?

A solution is offered to your issue that you feel so annoying you will stop playing the game, and you refuse it because something that is publicly tried and tested to work, isn't made by the guys who actually made the game...

I just don't get it sometimes...

Thanks for the tool suggestion' date=' but I don't use game tools not developed by the game developers.

[/quote']

Haha... What?

A solution is offered to your issue that you feel so annoying you will stop playing the game, and you refuse it because something that is publicly tried and tested to work, isn't made by the guys who actually made the game...

No, because it's a security risk. Even DayZ fell victim to such a security risk just this last week. Running a 3rd party EXE (unless developed by myself), which can be compromised, is not something I've ever done, or ever will do. I have no clue who has access to the upload server, whether or not they can be compromised, etc etc.

Computer security, it's important.

[/quote']

Haha... What?

No, because it's a security risk. Even DayZ fell victim to such a security risk just this last week. Running a 3rd party EXE (unless developed by myself), which can be compromised, is not something I've ever done, or ever will do. I have no clue who has access to the upload server, whether or not they can be compromised, etc etc.

Computer security, it's important.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that you are grossly exagerrating to make the argument go your way, but, disregarding that.

You first posted that you work in development, I also, actually work in development. You need to realize that this mod is still in development, very active development at that. You knew that when you got into this too. I will reiterate that this is a mod in alpha, you have to want to play this game, the fact that there is even the amount of support and resources on these forums is something you usually won't find with an alpha mod.

I know that for my development groups 'alpha's, which are internal testing: installation and running the application can sometimes be a total bitch. Having to update build scripts on everyones computers, make sure dependencies all match up correctly, troubleshooting issues that didn't arise in your own environment, these all happen during early testing of a build. That is effectively what we, the players, are, early testers of a future release.

Get over your entitled self, and embrace the game for what it is.

Or, get out.

can sone one tell me how hiding from a agro zed will work? just by leaving its line of sight and no noise it will De Agro?

Making the mod slightly above retard-level to install keeps a lot of COD kids away. Thats what I like about it.

Back on topic. Im curious about the new running animations. I hope Zeds dont run straight at you. The zig-zag motion is what made them so dangerous to deal with. Running at you head on will make them too simple. One bug I hope is fixed though is the warping zeds sometimes do.

can sone one tell me how hiding from a agro zed will work? just by leaving its line of sight and no noise it will De Agro?

I'm gonna take a guess and say it's something we will have to figure out on our own. It will probably run after you until it loses LOS, and then to the last known location, and then look for you again.

But, until the update is released, I doubt we will, and don't think we should, know.

Computer security' date=' it's important.

[/quote']

Computer literacy is important too.

It almost sounds to me as though you may be deficient in this area since you had to go to such lengths to get DayZ working when all you had to do was create some folders, extract some files into one of them, and add a commandline switch to the ArmA 2 shortcut.

No registry modifications required....

Hard instrukshunz iz hard.

:\

Blackfuse, you've gained my respect. Due to professionalism. I also know you weren't looking for it.

I've already got the build working on my machine, as I've said, it's never been a concern for myself, but a concern for the other people I play with.

Yes, alpha testing, and build smoke testing can be a total bitch. Luckily, I work in release management for now and don't have to put up with that regularly, and the test tools I've been developing have been for that group.

Though, this isn't an internal build. I realize that DayZ exploded and gained far more than what Rocket ever thought this MOD could achieve. Could I sit down with and open source packager and make this process easier and send it all to rocket? Quite possibly (though, I have NDA concerns which prevent me from offering a hand). So, this isn't a sense of entitlement, it's a sense of "What's best for the user?". Maybe that comes from working in RM for the last 16 months, and doing trenches testing before that.

As for security, those are steps I've taken to protect myself. I advise my friends to take the same steps. It's up to the individual to decide if they value security for tools to enhance their gaming experience.

Blackfuse' date=' you've gained my respect. Due to professionalism. I also know you weren't looking for it.

I've already got the build working on my machine, as I've said, it's never been a concern for myself, but a concern for the other people I play with.

Yes, alpha testing, and build smoke testing can be a total bitch. Luckily, I work in release management for now and don't have to put up with that regularly, and the test tools I've been developing have been for that group.

Though, this isn't an internal build. I realize that DayZ exploded and gained far more than what Rocket ever thought this MOD could achieve. Could I sit down with and open source packager and make this process easier and send it all to rocket? Quite possibly (though, I have NDA concerns which prevent me from offering a hand). So, this isn't a sense of entitlement, it's a sense of "What's best for the user?". Maybe that comes from working in RM for the last 16 months, and doing trenches testing before that.

As for security, those are steps I've taken to protect myself. I advise my friends to take the same steps. It's up to the individual to decide if they value security for tools to enhance their gaming experience.

[/quote']

I'm sure that the process could be automated, and it is by quite a few programs (see: sixupdater[this one is actually stickied/supported by the arma devs], various updaters). But I really think that your frustration lies in a misunderstanding of how to install. Editing your registry should not need to happen, it's a simple shortcut target manipulation, you could even have steam point it's Add A Game at the launchArmaCOBeta.bat after editing the bat to include the -mod=@dayz on the launch line. It really is a lot easier than you have made it seem, you just have unfortunately happened to follow guides/directions that take you down a difficult path.

I'm sure that the process could be automated' date=' and it is by quite a few programs (see: sixupdater[this one is actually stickied/supported by the arma devs'], various updaters). But I really think that your frustration lies in a misunderstanding of how to install. Editing your registry should not need to happen, it's a simple shortcut target manipulation, you could even have steam point it's Add A Game at the launchArmaCOBeta.bat after editing the bat to include the -mod=@dayz on the launch line. It really is a lot easier than you have made it seem, you just have unfortunately happened to follow guides/directions that take you down a difficult path.

You are correct. I was reading the instructions posted by Rocket in his first post. (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?90317-!Beta-Troubleshooting-Tips-FAQs)

This caused me to rage a bit before installing, because I know two of my friends would be rather useless in updating things themselves and figured I'd just forgo until the beta patch was released.

I still have concerns with testing an alpha build of a game on beta build of a patch. If professional testers have a hard time figuring out which is causing issues, it's going to cause bug triage hell when it's coming from the general public.

pretty good update but i think more important things need fixing 1st, ah well. welldone.

I'm sure that the process could be automated' date=' and it is by quite a few programs (see: sixupdater[this one is actually stickied/supported by the arma devs'], various updaters). But I really think that your frustration lies in a misunderstanding of how to install. Editing your registry should not need to happen, it's a simple shortcut target manipulation, you could even have steam point it's Add A Game at the launchArmaCOBeta.bat after editing the bat to include the -mod=@dayz on the launch line. It really is a lot easier than you have made it seem, you just have unfortunately happened to follow guides/directions that take you down a difficult path.

You are correct. I was reading the instructions posted by Rocket in his first post. (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?90317-!Beta-Troubleshooting-Tips-FAQs)

This caused me to rage a bit before installing, because I know two of my friends would be rather useless in updating things themselves and figured I'd just forgo until the beta patch was released.

I still have concerns with testing an alpha build of a game on beta build of a patch. If professional testers have a hard time figuring out which is causing issues, it's going to cause bug triage hell when it's coming from the general public.

The beta builds that come from BIS are largely without issue, and if there is an issue, a fix has been rolled out within hours in my experience. The reason they are 'beta' is because they are still working on what they want to finish for a full patch release, not because it's unstable.

The benefits of the beta patch, which include ridiculously better server performance, tons of new features that BIS has been working on for DayZ specifically (the LOS changes in this patch are able to happen directly because BIS is working on content in the beta patches for DayZ), and other cool stuff that adds to the game (global chat disabling). FAR outweigh the cost of using it, which includes maybe 10 minutes of setup.