oshi7

Do you consider the mod playable any more?

So for those who don't know, my squad and I are all youtubers and we loved this mod. Sacriel, DaSquirrelsNuts, Fhrope and myself all loved playing, taking out other squads in the North and generally having a blast. We all took up streaming as well as creating videos for our youtube channels, because people seemed to really, really enjoy the experience of watching us and how serious we took the game. We aren't the type of players who ever go south with geared characters and try to take out noobs, nor do stay away from trouble, we actively sought it out and fought against squads who were better geared than us and had better positioning than us and often came out on top, despite some cuts and bruises.

Streaming is its own challenge. With the type of game DayZ is, if someone knows what server you are playing on, they can pretty much end that character instantly, meaning we had to go through a lot of hurdles in order to keep the server name secret. But that is neither here nor there.

I just spent the last 2 hours playing, after taking a long break from DayZ because of how frustrating stream sniping had become. Was in the middle of nowhere, trying to meet my friends at Stary and had just left a deer stand. I was decked out with a decent character, lots of medical supplies and even an M16 + M203 attachment. Was feeling pretty good, until I heard suppressed bullets hit the ground around me and a bandit appears behind me (on top of me, almost). I say I'm friendly, don't shoot back, and he stops and I talk to him but he doesn't say much. I ask him if he needs any medical supplies, he says no and I go on my way... until my leg breaks and I'm down to 7000 health.

So I turn around, through the grass, pump 4+ Stanag mags into him and 4-5 M1911 mags. Nothing. Then comes a direct comms message in the bottom left:

"What are you trying to achieve?"

At that point I knew I was wasting my time and he throws a grenade at me; the end.

Right now, its almost impossible to play properly. Sacriel and myself aren't really interested any more and I can't see this game going on for much longer if this keeps up. I loved DayZ because it was so harsh! Death was a real thing, it sucked if you died, really sucked but now you can't really do anything without dying. No wonder so many people abuse this game via duplicating, server hopping in barracks or DCing when in combat.

So for me, DayZ isn't the game it used to be, and I hope I'll still be interested when the stand alone is released. But what about you, how do you deal with the script kids and hackers? I'm interested if I'm just getting more encounters like this by sheer chance or if everyone is experiencing the same thing.

• Like 26

I have yet to have an encounter like that.

Then again, I have my server filter set at 9 or fewer players.

Yeah , If the "mod" is now like this its unplayable ..... Lets hope when standalone version is out there will be something against the hackers/Scriptkiddies ......

Greetz !

havent read ur post fully (not even 20% lol) but i do still consider this game playable, even after playing it for a long long time (3 months now).

all the tents disappearing bullshit, and glitches are there but i dont really mind that

i like this game for what it is

there is nothing out there similar to dayz, and what is announced seems only to be a rip off with few credentials (referring to war z)

ill wait for standalone and ill love that too :)

edit: just found out who u really are,

big fan :) respect sir

still think dayz is good :P

Edited by h3retic
  • Like 1

I really don't know if this mod is entirely "playable" anymore. I feel as if the script kiddies and hackers are overpowering the legit players and ruining the experience for everyone. Soon it will just be a big cluster fuck of script kiddies when all the legit players just give up. It's sad to hear good people like yourself and Sacriel, and everyone else who enjoys this game getting slaughtered by hacking female genitalia.

i just find it almost impossible to join servers now... either the updaters jack up the ability in loggin in some servers or others refuse to update and making you revert to an older patch to play some servers and then spend the time to update it again to play back on your buds server.. it's almost to much effort to just play a game where hackers run rampant...

I think I run into people scripting in gear more so than godmode/nukers. It's annoying, but also kind of funny because for the most part they have no idea how to use any of it. I think at one point I was carrying around 3 AS50's from killing people with it that had no idea how to zero and couldn't aim worth jack. I still find it kind of fun to run "elektro police" but in the long run it still can be frustrating having people death run at you with full gear every respawn.

I haven't played for a couple of weeks because I can't stand the hacking right now. Come fight me fairly (I include sniping me from a mile away without me ever seeing you in that, it's part of the game), don't teleport behind me and shove a grenade down my pants. Between that and the absolutely awful graphical glitches, which seem to get progressively worse as the days go by (seen people getting pure white blocks now, not even coloured textures, which threaten to give people seizures!).

Seeing as absolutely no progress has been made in trying to combat them (Rocket has said it's a priority, but this shits been going on for weeks and weeks), it looks like we won't see any fix until the standalone version, so I am just going to leave it until that comes out. God forbid there is any hacking issues with the standalone...

Edited by Adache

Until there is better measures in place to prevent script kiddies/hackers the game simply isn't playable. I can get a full set of gear in ten minutes... Just because they have collectively spawned in more weapons than the Soviet Army has at their disposal. I'll stick to scout sniping in Battlefield 3 until I see some changes.

I consider the mod to be perfectly playable. It has it downs when the hackers show up but the fact that the mod is just incredibly good makes up for that.

• Like 3

I only play Lingor now, normal DayZ... my lives went like this...

Started playing

A few minutes

A few hours

Played a few days

A day

A few days

Played for around a week

Weeks

Moar weeks

Played for 2 months (Character was 34 days old, killed by a hacker)

A month

Hacking becomes terrible

Days

Hours

Minutes

Hackers instagibbing

A few minutes

Lingor goes a bit like this

Spawn > Pick up AKM > shoot as many people as I can before I run out of ammo, get killed by a hatchet and laugh my ass off.... repeat

A month ago and I think I would of been tripping over the rest of the community to buy the standalone as soon as it was released, currently I'm thinking I might wait... I'll wait I don't mind paying more for waiting but I just can't be arsed blowing £15 on a game (I know its not much) which then gets hacked to bits a week later and they struggle to control it again. They're bound to use battleye so lets hope they can actually make the game a bit more secure than Arma 2 is itself.

Edited by Mastiff

I agree that the game has been far more difficult to actually 'play'. With all the fiasco involving the Six Launcher, I have resorted to the use of DayZ Commander (A mighty fine launcher for DayZ). The game itself also is plagued by insistent hackers, though I have never come across one so far. However, it never loses it's charm, and each play through is unique, allowing for all previous flaws to seem worth the pain.

This is nothing new. This problem peaked a little over a week or so ago and people started taking a break from the game because of the hackers and graphical glitch. Now I run into hackers on nearly every server no matter the population. I was one of 3 people on one server, turns out the other two were hackers. I was one of two on a server, hacker admin. It doesn't matter where you go now.

So honestly, I stay on the coast where a 10 minute run can net me a decent gun and some targets to kill. The hackers can see where you are anyway but I'm not going to give them the pleasure of ruining an hour run into the heart of the land. It's only really worth playing with friends as you can talk shit while playing but no one is taking this game seriously for the moment. No one should either until we see what the standalone does or if they're on a private hive whitelisted server.

It has become a struggle, definitely. I started playing a lot more of that...other map. Seemingly less wankers, and I've yet to come across a scripter on those servers. And, most importantly of all, I'm having a laugh again.

Hey oshi :) i was a fan of sacriels streams for a while, and they actually inspired the way i play now. I wasnt a noob by any means but i learned a lot about sniping and positioning from those vids. Honestly i think it is still playable, if you have a nice camp to fall back on after you get thunderdomed. Me n my squad have managed 9 days though on our most recent characters. Our only recent encounter with a hacker is the one we blew out of the sky with a few well placed nato rounds. He generously donated us an m4 sd and some elite additions to my toolbelt :)

You put up with it or wait until standalone.

I've seen less hackers over the past couple of weeks now anyway, so I'm not too sure if there's just dumb luck for me or more people are actually being banned.

It's funny how the OP says Sacriel isn't interested in playing anymore even though he released a 26 min video today...

I've played for like 4 months now and only a few days ago I've seen my first hackers. After that its been quite unplayable.

The first hacker killed me by teleporting his car behind my back and driving over me.

The second hacker gave me all the endgame gear when I was a fresh spawn.

The third hacker ignored my M24 bullets, teleported behind me and gunned me down.

The fourth hacker started to aggro zombies on me and spawned hanged bodies over my head. He was invisible and then he shot me. I spawned again and he started to spawn wire fences all around and tried to kill me by spawning cars over me. Little later for some reason I was in the same helicopter with him flying around the coast.

All hackers encountered on servers with 5-10 players online, cant really avoid them. One for each day.

Edited by Shaimou

I've still only had 2 hacker sightings, 1 bad, 1 "good".

A game like this is in a constant state of flux.

At any given moment a patch could remove our gear due to a bug or even possibly issue a global stat/gear wipe.

It's funny how the OP says Sacriel isn't interested in playing anymore even though he released a 26 min video today...

That game play is from 2 weeks ago, dont expect much more content since we aren't able to get any interesting footage.

Got killed by a normal player today for a change. Felt pretty good actually.

Had some decent gear on me, but unfortunately the guy had no chance to enjoy it, as not even 10min later the entire population of the server, almost 50 people, was squeezed into a bubble and rained from the sky..

So i'm probably going to take a step back from the beta, and also wait a few weeks before buying the standalone.

I seen your videos and streams and I enjoyed watching them.

It's my understanding that a lot of streamers have stopped now because of the rampant hacking, and I don't blame them.

It is literally impossible to have a decent engagement now, I'd say 30% of the people that kill me are blatantly hacking, another 20% are very likely hacking.

We've been trying some private hives, those seems to be a little better at kicking the scripters, but they still have their problems.

People keep posting saying 'I've only seen 2 hackers etc', I'd hazard to guess they're either 1. not engaging in PvP very often 2. hacking themselves and trolling us 3. they're idiots who don't know how to spot it.

2-3 weeks ago was when it got to the point that you couldn't play for more than an hour on a decently populated server (30+ players) without being teleported/thrown into the air/thunderdomed or killed by someone who laughed at you because he was in 'god mode'.

• Like 1

i don't stream becasue i'm boring, but if i did i wouldn't bitch and complain when people stream sniped me.

take a babys walk.

• Like 1