Sign in to follow this  
daspope

To those who look down on bandits/pvp...

Have to say I agree with the need for some distinction around here. Theres "PVP" where two people who are a threat to each other go at it, and then there are assholes who snipe unarmed fresh spawns on the beach from a hill 800m away.

First of all, PVP is essential to the game. I think we can all (or at least a very high percentage) agree on that. There'd be no reason for the non-bandits to sneak around or be cautious at all. The game would get pretty stale.

However, I really don't agree with the people saying there should be some game mechanics to stop these sniper guys. They shouldn't be banned, or kicked from server or whatever. They're free to choose their own playstyle, and that playstyle happens to be "being a dick". What I DO think should be the safeguard against these dicks is OTHER PLAYERS. Not game mechanics, but other real players, calling them dicks and hunting them down. HEROES should be the safeguard. People who choose that playstyle can comb those hills and kill those dicks. The only downside being those sniper cowards that alt-f4 as soon as they take fire. Well just fraps them and name and shame. Call them out. DISCOURAGE THEM and maybe their epeens will shrink enough from repeatedly being called a pussy and they'll knock it off.

I haven't played in about 6 months and was considering starting up again. how have the devs not taken care of that issue by now?

This game is 100% about PvP, or else it would be single player.

The 'sandbox' is how you choose to handle that PvP. Be it a heads up fire fight, trickery, the old car bait, or simply avoid the town and go to the next one.

It is all PvP because this game is 100% about PvP. If towns had a set number of zombie spawns and much better AI, maybe just maybe, it could be more then just about PvP (even then its still a PvP game lol).. But it isnt. Locations are gear ups, zombies endlessly spawn depending on how many you kill/how much racket you make.

Its all is side mechanics for getting you ready for the inevitable PvP. Some people are mean, some nice, some nice who turn out to be mean.. ect.. But the games problems have jaded almost everyone.. If the game wasnt so bad at times, people would be more happy and helping, willing to work together.

I play servers with the worst of the worst players, seeking only to be really angry about killing or being killed. Most are really really socially awkward (or maybe foreigners are bad about sarcasm and witty dialog) and seem to be convicts playing from prison. But i like the action, not the interaction.

I am good at the game, so I tend to get more of the angry they lost, which is rewarding enough to keep playing.

Stand alone wont fix a lot of this games problems and thats the sad thing, people like the game because at its core it is brilliant and fun.. But im telling you youre wasting your time holding your breath for magic stand alone that fixes the thousands of problems this game has.

This game is 100% about PvP, or else it would be single player.

The 'sandbox' is how you choose to handle that PvP. Be it a heads up fire fight, trickery, the old car bait, or simply avoid the town and go to the next one.

It is all PvP because this game is 100% about PvP. If towns had a set number of zombie spawns and much better AI, maybe just maybe, it could be more then just about PvP (even then its still a PvP game lol).. But it isnt. Locations are gear ups, zombies endlessly spawn depending on how many you kill/how much racket you make.

Its all is side mechanics for getting you ready for the inevitable PvP. Some people are mean, some nice, some nice who turn out to be mean.. ect.. But the games problems have jaded almost everyone.. If the game wasnt so bad at times, people would be more happy and helping, willing to work together.

I play servers with the worst of the worst players, seeking only to be really angry about killing or being killed. Most are really really socially awkward (or maybe foreigners are bad about sarcasm and witty dialog) and seem to be convicts playing from prison. But i like the action, not the interaction.

I am good at the game, so I tend to get more of the angry they lost, which is rewarding enough to keep playing.

Stand alone wont fix a lot of this games problems and thats the sad thing, people like the game because at its core it is brilliant and fun.. But im telling you youre wasting your time holding your breath for magic stand alone that fixes the thousands of problems this game has.

Hello Kitty Online is multiplayer, son.

I aggree with the op here, at the end of the day this is only a game, all these people whining about people killing them etc....is dayz not a survival game? in such a situation there could very well be people who just think sod it im now free to kill and take as much as I want.

Im not a dayz player as of yet however I intend to change that soon when I get around to buying arma 2 and This is exactly what im looking forward to....sod the `banding together with other survivors` things, its a bit of fun not a group threapthy session, na im going on a human hunt. day 1. get my bearings and supplies, arm myself. day 2 onwards.....start hunting! if its moves ill take a shot at it if its silly enough to give me a good shot in such a situation.

Not only that but I feel this is going to be the quickest way to gear up, why spend ages exploring trying to find weapons and supplies when you can kill other survivors and take from your victims?

I dont see the point of being `moral` in a video game people who do thats fair enough but dont slander people as `nasty individuals` simply for approaching a game like a game, I save my morals for real life where they belong haha.

Don't try to define DayZ as purely a PvP mission, it's not. It's something else, something more.

Usually lone players play the campaign or singleplayer missions, clans or squads plays group oriented mods, PvP players join deathmatch and coop players play coop missions. Well the whole point of DayZ is there are no rules, no one tells you how to survive, so if you want to treat DayZ as a slightly larger Counterstrike map you're free to do so. If you prefer to survive without harming other players, you can do so too. You can chose to survive on your own, survive with your friends or survive with strangers. You can also play as a lone killer, hunt players with your friends or make temporary alliances with other players. The cool thing about DayZ is that lone players, squads, competitive and cooperative players are all forced into the same multiplayer mode.

Because all these types of players are thrown together, rather than separated in their own multiplayer modes on different servers, the gameplay becomes a lot more complex. If you're a friendly player, you are not guaranteed to only meet other friendly players, so part of your gameplay is now to avoid hostile players and attempt to tell the hostile and friendlies apart. As a hostile player, you can chose to kill everything at sight like in deathmatch or you can pretend to be friendly and deceive other trusting players. There's an entire psychological aspect in DayZ, which is missing from other multiplayer modes, where the only choices you have to make it whether you want to join the red or the blue team.

So while you define DayZ as 100% PvP, this is just your story. For me, meeting a bandit like you is just a small chapter in my story. My story is about staying alive for as long as I can. You story is about gearing up as fast as you can.

This is Day Zero.

This is your story.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

What do you do to make the game fun? honestly? After a week, zombies pose no threat, gearing up is a snap, and you can live in the woods indefinitely...

if I wanted to log in, sit by a tent and a camp fire and eventually eat/drink I would just assume stay logged out.

pvp makes this game fun. Sure some people like doing the medic thing, but that's few and far between and I can see that getting just as old as sitting by a tent... who really wants to log in, spend 30+ minutes running to a guy, helping him, then logging out?

Shooting people that don't even know you are there is kinda boring too... I like to know they had a ton of fear or an adrenaline rush before I get them (or they get me).

once pvp gets boring I guess I could always troll new players with vehicles on the coast... stop and honk, as they run up just drive off a few hundred meters then stop and honk again lol.

Agreed good sir.

I don't mind bandits, it's just simply too easy to do. You post up with some cover, and wait for survivors to go for the loot, and you blast them. It's just a lot easier to be a bandit in Dayz than not. So it's not that I have a problem with them, it's just that most of them act like they are "hardcore" or something, when banditry is easymode.

Edited by ToddTaylor

One must always look down upon bandits. It's called having a good vantage point from which to shoot them.

Play the game how you like, I suppose you're only really limited by your imagination, and your intelligence :rolleyes:

Edited by philbottle
  • Like 1

Recently just started playing the game, and I look down on bandits because when I'm running around farms or run on the outskirts of Cherno/Elecktro with just a hatchet in my hands looking for supplies, and I get shot for no reason at all, that kills the fun of the game and turns it from a survival game to a First Person Shooter.

the game isn't about racking up as many player kills as you can. it's about surviving. I understand if you need to kill to survive, then it is what it is. But when I have a survivor skin, a coyote pack and an axe, while you have an alice pack, m4 and every other piece of equipment, how do you stand to benefit from killing me?

We made sniping harder on our server, its lame so see someone camp a city or crash for 2 hours with the M107, ppl need to assault more to kill.

Lately I have wandered to the pvp side due to boredom as well, but when tents aren't broken I like to get decently geared then ditch all my gear in a tent somewhere and leave with only a hatchet and survival gear. Food, water, hatchet, hunting knife, matches, water bottle, compass, map, and all remedies. I like using only a hatchet since players don't see me as a threat and it leads to more interesting player interactions. I also enjoy finding loot that I actually need at the time so I get to find a new backpack and weapons and once I find another tent, i do it all over again. It's nice to spread them out so if one is found I don't lose my entire stash and I have quick regear spots if I die.

I don't look down on Bandits ... I see them as part of the game and it is not for me to decide how other people play the game. I think Bandits are just as much of a threat as the Zombies are ... and it is how you choose to deal with them that makes the game fun.

As an Admin, I pretty much stay clear of populated areas and only sneak in to towns when I am running low on supplies and will get out quickly. My food and drink comes from filling up water bottles and hunting ... so it is pretty much only ammo and medical supplies that I need.

When there are Bandits around ... I will let the players decide how to handle the situation ... most will avoid areas of known Bandits and focus on their game. On the odd occasion there will be multiple Bandits and players are finding it difficult to make a start, this is when I step in. I will go fetch my Vehicle (which is expendable and only used in these situations) and I will pick up new Spawns and drop them off at non-Bandit locations to gear up ... if they want the help.

Most of the time, a couple will team up and end up playing like that. When the bandits move on to these locations ... I move new Spawns to other locations. It is kind of like a game of Cat and Mouse.

Finally when we have enough Payers who are geared up ... we arrange to storm the Bandits and give them some Survivor justice. We will loose players during the storming of the hill (so to speak) ... but in the end we normally manage to avenge our fallen comrades.

I have been killed doing things like this quite often and have even been back-stabbed by new Spawns and sometimes even lost my vehicle to Bandits ... it is part of the game and I accept it. I would personally never KOS or be a Bandit ... but that is because I choose to play like that ... and I love playing the game (so to speak) with Bandits.

Besides ... bandits are human too ... and they make pretty good eating when slowly roasted over a camp fire with some evergreen leaves and sea salt for flavouring. :)

I think PVP is a necessary aspect to this game. The zombies pose no significant threat once you get anything better than a first tier weapon, and you can survive indefinitely without even having to go near zombies. What sucks though is that PVP significantly detracts from the teamwork aspect of this game, which is a lot of fun if you can actually find some friendlies to play with.

I do agree that spawn camping and killing bambis with flashlights is pretty lame though, but it's a choice people make. I think a good solution would be to have multiple types of bandit skins. For example, your skin would change based on the gear, or maybe even lifespan, of the people you've killed. If you only kill unarmed players or players with low tier weapons when you have an AS50 or something your skin would change to some sort of crazy looking homeless man or something, but if you kill geared up players you look like a badass. This wouldn't directly solve the spawn killing, but at least it would identify people based on their previous actions, making it so everyone has their role. Then you could have players whose sole purpose is to kill spawn killers, or players that only seek out to kill the badasses. It's like adding more game modes.

Edited by Sporks

I know this is a topic of contention, but our private server has actually put in roving bands of AI bandits...If most of the "bandits" playing these days are pretty much KOS griefers who wreck camps, and chatter up side chat. We figured that the computer can probably do the same thing better and cleaner. And for the most part, We were right. I know AI bandits are going to be controversial, but it has been a hit so far for us, and we look to expand the idea by making bandits defend high value items like helicopters and SUV's in Bandit bases. It adds an element of teamwork that I have only seen in Arma servers.

Our bandits are slightly stronger than an "average" player. It's about 50/50 when I encounter them solo...I have silently taken out entire squads, as well as having been completely cut down by guys hurling PKM fire at me. I invite anyone interested to go to http://gsc-clan.org and check it out.

bandits are fine its the script kiddie griefers that make it hard for new players for no other reason then epeen wagging no one cares about your baby dick stay off my server.

Interesting read. Understanding the mentallity of the mentally ill is always a plus.

"I like to know they had a ton of fear or an adrenaline rush before I get them (or they get me)." Someone to watch if they ever decide to take this mentallity beyond the game. Another reason authorities are missing out on some prime incite of the crazy people before they do harm.

Being a bandit at times is fun, It's even more fun because most "bandits" are horrible shots. I was just minding my business when some guy started to blast me from behind with a silenced pistol, took like 2-3 shots to the back and hid behind cover to find him. Then I heard shots hit the wall that was in front of me, turned around and put 3 shots right into his head. It was funny hearing him cry about it in chat saying "dude you're a hacker, I shot you a bunch of times and you killed me in 3 shots. Get some skills noob." then after I told him "Next time you shoot at someone, make sure they don't know how to play....your aim is horrible. I also shot you in the head and not in the legs/body" He then went on telling people I was a bandit killing un-armed players....a min later while I was leaving I got lit up by an an AK. I wasn't mad at all, It's also fun taking out a group of bandits because they have no idea where you're at and expect you to run out in the open shooting.

Edited by The Shane Walsh of DayZ

I play all three play styles, The Medic, The Survivor and the Bandit.

As a Bandit I tend to avoid the coast as much as possible, I hang out around Stary and Novy, I typically hit people moving up from the coast and people hoping to hit the medical tents. I also have taken some hostages, on servers that don't allow people to respawn. I also only hit armed players only.

What do you do to make the game fun? honestly? After a week, zombies pose no threat, gearing up is a snap, and you can live in the woods indefinitely...

if I wanted to log in, sit by a tent and a camp fire and eventually eat/drink I would just assume stay logged out.

pvp makes this game fun. Sure some people like doing the medic thing, but that's few and far between and I can see that getting just as old as sitting by a tent... who really wants to log in, spend 30+ minutes running to a guy, helping him, then logging out?

Shooting people that don't even know you are there is kinda boring too... I like to know they had a ton of fear or an adrenaline rush before I get them (or they get me).

once pvp gets boring I guess I could always troll new players with vehicles on the coast... stop and honk, as they run up just drive off a few hundred meters then stop and honk again lol.

The people who are against PvP are the ones looking forward to the additional features provided in the standalone. Currently Dayz is nothing more than a mod to a first person shooter, and that kinda shows, since those kinds of games tend to only feature shooting and combat. However, I don't really like first person shooters, and the reason I got into the game in the first place was the fact that once the final product is released there will be other things to do besides fighting.

Edited by TheSodesa

Recently just started playing the game, and I look down on bandits because when I'm running around farms or run on the outskirts of Cherno/Elecktro with just a hatchet in my hands looking for supplies, and I get shot for no reason at all, that kills the fun of the game and turns it from a survival game to a First Person Shooter.

the game isn't about racking up as many player kills as you can. it's about surviving. I understand if you need to kill to survive, then it is what it is. But when I have a survivor skin, a coyote pack and an axe, while you have an alice pack, m4 and every other piece of equipment, how do you stand to benefit from killing me?

Yeah Surviving. Do you think if you were stranded ashore some island with a bunch of zombies all over the place, people aren't going to kill others? With no law, the guys and gals who don't kill people only because they fear a repercussion are going to still not kill people? No, the first thing their going to do is start killing people when they realize no one would do anything about it. Also if you play like you would in real life, you'd have no idea what the other person may or may not have. I'm sure your survival is more important to you than that of another's, so you kill said person for whatever they have that you might need. Also when people bitch and moan in side chat for getting killed, the whole server gets a laugh

Well some people get a boner just by looking at their increasing murder counter...

omfg dude you are awesome

There still seems to be a lot of confusion about the words.

Bandit is not PVP is not KoS is not Playerkilling.

Those are 4 completely different things, that happen to include killing another player.

The Problem are people who KOS out of fear to be killed, and call that "being a bandit". Just because they wont admit that they'd shit their pants if they let the other player live.

The second problem are Playerkillers, who think it's the only goal of the game to piss other people off by killing them. Those people have the same mentality as cheaters. They want to destroy other peoples gameplay for their own ego.

EVERY other PVP action is ok with me.

But like many people pointed out already. It should be a calculation wether it's worth the risk or not every time.

I do not have to kill a newspawn with a makarov, that didn't even see me and is already leaving the area.

I usually get very pissed when I find my body after I got killed, and all the gear is still on my body.

I'm the type of player who shoots only at other players, when shot at first. This caused a lot of unnecessary death for me, but I can live with that.

But when I find out i was only killed, because the other guy saw me there and wanted to shoot. That there was NOTHING he would have wanted from me.... that's just unnecessary and stupid.

If you are in the middle of the map, on a server where 5 people are online, and you see a guy 500m away from you, running in a completely different direction than you, there is no need to snipe him away if you don't need anything.

I think that's the main issue I have. "making the kill" is not the highest level of success a bandit can have. Getting the Gear, is the highest level of success a bandit can have. A bullet in the head of a newspawn from 2000m distance is worth as much as missing your target by 2000m. If you don't get any loot out of it, it was a bullet wasted.

bandits are fine its the script kiddie griefers that make it hard for new players for no other reason then epeen wagging no one cares about your baby dick stay off my server.

I think there is a certain group, that is scriptkiddies, KOS and Noobsniping in one. Those are people who do not have the self-confidence to be happy with their lifes by themselves, they need to prove that they are better than other, by degrading them.

What they all have in common is, that they are looking for the easiest way to get kills, that has the least risk for them of getting killed themselves.

Some are better at the game, some are worse. The better ones find themselves an as50 and a ghillie and start shooting at noobs, because that's easy for them. The medium talented, try the game, shoot on sight but never take any risk. The less talented epicly fail playing the game the way it's supposed to, so they buy cheat-software to enable godmode and get the loot they'd never get otherwise.

It's a very broad group, where not everyone who would KoS or go on noobiehunt would use cheats. Some wouldn't even think about using it. But that's mainly because they can have success on their own and not using cheats boosts their ego more than doing so. If they'd suck at the game, they'd use cheats too..

I've seen a lot of scriptkiddies and trolls who bragged that they have so many cd-keys that banning them is useless and they use so many proxies that no one will ever find them. They build their own self-confidence over the fact that they can troll people and no one can stop them.

Those people need help. But I think it's important to recognize, that it's not the way they harm the game that unites them, but the underlying mental condition that's causing it.

But I don't think grievers are a big problem tough. There are some who bitch around everytime, but that's rather funny than annoying. On the other hand, pointing out that KoSing a player with a hatchet, watching an area with binoculars, is kind of unnecessary happened to get the attention of other players in that area, causing them to start hunting he player who KoSed me. I think that's adding to gameplay, rather than destroying it.

But of course, the way you express your anger is very important. Some just spam the side-channel, cursing their killer.. that's not really appropriate behavior. The way people react to getting killed is a very important source of information to me, wether I can trust that player when I encounter him or not. I wouldn't want to miss that.

Edited by liquidmind

lategame fun includes: more flying lessons, coz u can never have enough flying lessons, clan wars, community help or building, modding or scripting, blowing up stuff or building bases, helping bambies, hunting hackers or douches, or stand around with a SAW on NWAF.

seriously. since frankie-bambie coined "you cannot trust anyone in dayz", anyone starts shooting anyway. finding friends, respectable allies or just clans that sometimes fight, but sometimes also work together, is the hard part. you die anyway a lot of senseless deaths, having longer survival times and zed kill highscores, etc. is always a challenge.

also, survival is key. learning not to shoot anyone, and still survive and have fun is the best dayz has to offer. its also the most bitter part about the game. otherwise, there is always wasteland on some overkill utes map to let off some steam. but no other game will teach you to use terrain that well, like this mod.

and last but not least, if you get bored, take a nap, do something else.

its the memories that count in dayz, especially social encounters of any kind. even if its 3 hours of crawling with a broken leg to fix a car alone in stary. after a success, you are relieved and happy.

I realize this is a PvP oriented game, however when trolls kill fresh spawns or some guy armed with a hatchet, a bandaid and a can of beans trying to find gear in cherno, that's when I have a problem. If you want to have "fun" and play TDM, do everyone a favor and go play COD or Battlefield 3