alcatraz968

Rocket, Please don't. (Dayz on Console).

No you just have your credit card details hacked.

The only 'deluded' people here are those that thinkcurrent consoles are powerful and sufficient to even play games on a similar level to the pc, the game will have to be toned down to work on a console, which would more than likely tone down the pc version.

how many of the million+ DayZ PC gamers are running a top end rig?

Yes high end PCs are better, but not everyone has one so using the top end of the market to represent the majority is a mistake. This is also ignoring the fact that developing for a split market is much harder than developing for a stable system. Why do you think the I-phone has a better suite of apps than andriod? it's the exact same thing, in this case, I-phone is like a console and the 1,000 different types of andriod handset represent the PC....

i'm an andriod owner by the way :)

at the end of the day a console is a PC, it's just a fixed spec PC, it's the markets that are different and like it or not if you want multi-million AAA games then expect them to be developed for the largest market, it happens in every other industry.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

if you think you can break even on a game like that catering only to the hardcore PC elitist crowd then you're very misguided.

If you want games that need massive investments then you can expect its design to reflect the audience it needs to attract in order to recoup those massive costs.

strange because bf2 was the first consolised game in the series and before that there was Vietnam and 1942, along with the add-ons. arma is PC only and yet they continued to release games, before word of dayz. you can make profit, or you can sell out. they are different things. you are right about the advertising tho - over at EA GAMES they need to profitise hard to make up for convincing us their upcoming games are any good

anyway, bf fucked up way earlier than bf3. it was bad company.

i would like to throw another once complex title into the mix - civilisation. that product never recovered from the immensely increased accessibility of civ revolutions. the latest edition, 5, can run on a fucking ipad. it remains as shite as rev was. their forums are still, two years later, packed to the hilt with pc gamers complaining they would like to play civ

• Like 1

i would like to throw another once complex title into the mix - civilisation. that product never recovered from the immensely increased accessibility of civ revolutions. the latest edition, 5, can run on a fucking ipad. it remains as shite as rev was. their forums are still, two years later, packed to the hilt with pc gamers complaining they would like to play civ

then play a Civ clone that does it right, there's plenty of them out there. That's the great thing about PC gaming, choice and availability!

Don't like the look of the new "dumbed down" X-Com? play Xenonauts!

(side-note. I first played X-Com on the Playstation, it was exactly the same experience as it's PC counterpart, it just took longer to move the cursor around)

Don't like the way the BF series is heading, play ARMA!

But ARMA couldn't be what it is today without the investment from the army, they have their secured income so they develop the game to that market and the rest of us "normal" gamers get to reap the reward. Without that investment then BI would have to rethink their entire approach in order to make enough money to keep their programmers fed (and occasionaly washed...)

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

Yeah dude, PC master race!

PC games have to be equal to console versions, even if the last ones are released way after the first ones! The day they release console DayZ, they'll obviously gimp the PC version's graphics down and remove half the controls.

• Like 1

strange because bf2 was the first consolised game in the series and before that there was Vietnam and 1942, along with the add-ons. arma is PC only and yet they continued to release games, before word of dayz. you can make profit, or you can sell out. they are different things. you are right about the advertising tho - over at EA GAMES they need to profitise hard to make up for convincing us their upcoming games are any good

anyway, bf fucked up way earlier than bf3. it was bad company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2

BF2 was NEVER out on consoles mate. BFBC-1 was the first console thing they did.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Battlefield_2

BF2 was NEVER out on consoles mate. BFBC-1 was the first console thing they did.

what this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Battlefield-Xbox-360/dp/B000BLEYQ4

that said, i know nothing of it. it came after the pc release i know that much. then shortly later yes, everyone got royally fucked with bad company

what this?

http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B000BLEYQ4

that said, i know nothing of it. it came after the pc release i know that much. then shortly later yes, everyone got royally fucked with bad company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2:_Modern_Combat

not the same game from what I can grasp. dumbed down version at best I'd imagine

There simply isn't enough buttons on the remote for consoles to take advantage of the controls for DayZ.

uh

a PS3 controller could handle DayZ perfectly what are you even talking about

Movement, camera, fire, ironsights, switch firing mode/throwables, run/sneak, context menu, nightvision, binocs, inventory.

• Like 1

dumbed down version at best I'd imagine

for sure, but it was bf2's engine and from pics looks like a port regards to weapons and skins. i am sure MC was a free mod for the pc version beforehand. eery to think they may follow this modus operandi with dayz.

DayZ as I have been playing it right now would be fine on a console with nerfed graphic settings and 24 player cap. Its cute how butt hurt you "PC Master Race" people get.

There really isn't anything complicated about DayZ. No customization, very basic ... EVERYTHING. If they could trim the Arma 2 fat from it it would very easily be playable on a console.

• Like 2

it remains as shite as rev was.

What the fuck ever Civ Rev was fantastic. I probably have more than 2000 hours on that shit. It just had more of a board game feel to it than the rest of the Civs. (Which also feel like fucking board games).

• Like 1

how many of the million+ DayZ PC gamers are running a top end rig?

Yes high end PCs are better, but not everyone has one so using the top end of the market to represent the majority is a mistake. This is also ignoring the fact that developing for a split market is much harder than developing for a stable system. Why do you think the I-phone has a better suite of apps than andriod? it's the exact same thing, in this case, I-phone is like a console and the 1,000 different types of andriod handset represent the PC....

i'm an andriod owner by the way :)

at the end of the day a console is a PC, it's just a fixed spec PC, it's the markets that are different and like it or not if you want multi-million AAA games then expect them to be developed for the largest market, it happens in every other industry.

How many people playing DayZ on the PC are playing it on a 7 year old machine?

...because that is what it will have to do for the Xbox... I haven't seen a good AAA game on the console for a while, the limits imposed by the consoles are poor. I mean this might be a bad example but even look at some thing as basic as Fifa, it apparently plays at 720p but the picture quality is shocking, put it on the PC and already you see the image is much sharper and clearer even on my 4 year old laptop it excels. Even the destruction on BF3 is poor because of the limitations of an Xbox/PS3, PCs would be able to easily replicate buildings collapsing (like BC2) instead BF3 destruction is worse... than a previous game in the series because of it.

DayZ as I have been playing it right now would be fine on a console with nerfed graphic settings and 24 player cap. Its cute how butt hurt you "PC Master Race" people get.

There really isn't anything complicated about DayZ. No customization, very basic ... EVERYTHING. If they could trim the Arma 2 fat from it it would very easily be playable on a console.

Lol, 24 player cap... a smaller map too? The PC master race isn't butt hurt because it will be on console, they/we are butt hurt because they know that the PC game will have to suffer for the sake of the console release.

If DayZ standalone ended up targeting the masses (the console market, because it is obviously a larger sector) then the game will be developed for that sector, they would stop their build at 24 players and their maps suitable for that size... they've made their profit the PC players can just "enjoy" the mutilated husk of what was once a good game series (BF3). I mean come on... look at the maps on BF2 even BF1942 had bigger maps than BF3 has, they mutilated the entire series for the sake of console sales... clearly money orientated but Rocket has come across in way he appears to be thinking

Game first

Money second

Then he gets maserati

Develop for PC with console in mind > Game suffers > Money first > Maserati > Game is somewhat raped.

Edited by Mastiff

Fifa is a bad example especially when the greatest football game ever made was ISS Pro on the N64. It was blurry, the players looked nothing like their real world counterparts and they couldn't even afford the proper licensing and yet it was amazing to play especially with 4 players. The addition of 1080p and 60fps+ wouldn't really change the game in the slightest.

If DayZ standalone ended up targeting the masses (the console market, because it is obviously a larger sector) then the game will be developed for that sector, they would stop their build at 24 players and their maps suitable for that size... they've made their profit the PC players can just "enjoy" the mutilated husk of what was once a good game series (BF3). I mean come on... look at the maps on BF2 even BF1942 had bigger maps than BF3 has, they mutilated the entire series for the sake of console sales... clearly money orientated but Rocket has come across in way he

not really ringing true there.

Is BF3 on the PC locked to the same sized maps and player count as it's console version?

Nope

So why do you feel DayZ would suffer the same (imaginary) threat?

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

How many people playing DayZ on the PC are playing it on a 7 year old machine?

...because that is what it will have to do for the Xbox... I haven't seen a good AAA game on the console for a while, the limits imposed by the consoles are poor. I mean this might be a bad example but even look at some thing as basic as Fifa, it apparently plays at 720p but the picture quality is shocking, put it on the PC and already you see the image is much sharper and clearer even on my 4 year old laptop it excels. Even the destruction on BF3 is poor because of the limitations of an Xbox/PS3, PCs would be able to easily replicate buildings collapsing (like BC2) instead BF3 destruction is worse... than a previous game in the series because of it.

Lol, 24 player cap... a smaller map too? The PC master race isn't butt hurt because it will be on console, they/we are butt hurt because they know that the PC game will have to suffer for the sake of the console release.

If DayZ standalone ended up targeting the masses (the console market, because it is obviously a larger sector) then the game will be developed for that sector, they would stop their build at 24 players and their maps suitable for that size... they've made their profit the PC players can just "enjoy" the mutilated husk of what was once a good game series (BF3). I mean come on... look at the maps on BF2 even BF1942 had bigger maps than BF3 has, they mutilated the entire series for the sake of console sales... clearly money orientated but Rocket has come across in way he appears to be thinking

Game first

Money second

Then he gets maserati

Develop for PC with console in mind > Game suffers > Money first > Maserati > Game is somewhat raped.

24 player cap is fine for a game like this. Even 30 players feels too crowded. In my humble opinion. Some things just won't work on a console, but DayZ would be just fuckin fine.

if its ported to console FROM PC, why should any of you care?

Have you experienced the mess which is called "Battlefield 3" or "Crysis 2"?

Sure, it's easy to argue that one can't fault a game before it's even released, but pc gamers have been shafted so much now that it's not a case of "innocent before proven guilty", but vice-versa. It's all too easy to "hate" on a game before it's even released because, as facts have it, that's what we've been handed over and over again as consoles have become more main stream.

*This isn't an attack on the console crowd, I've owned many in the past, but the facts are the facts.

Fifa is a bad example especially when the greatest football game ever made was ISS Pro on the N64. It was blurry, the players looked nothing like their real world counterparts and they couldn't even afford the proper licensing and yet it was amazing to play especially with 4 players. The addition of 1080p and 60fps+ wouldn't really change the game in the slightest.

not really ringing true there.

Is BF3 on the PC locked to the same sized maps and player count as it's console version?

Nope

So why do you feel DayZ would suffer the same (imaginary) threat?

Destruction is gimped, key binding is gimped (Look at the example of Air brake, an unbinded key but completely functional using BF3 mapper), the maps are actually gimped to shit. I mean seriously, Caspian border is not suitable for 64 players, the maps aren't that much different, the PC has more conquest points on certain maps and a slight amount more of accessible area... Lets say Gulf of Oman on the Xbox is easily 90% of the size of the PC map it just doesnt have all the conquest points on the shore but you can still go there... (Hotel for example, PC is it a CP and if memory serves me correctly on the Xbox you can access the roof, run around but it isn't a CP so the map is effectively the same...) you can play 24 players on that and still have action everywhere... PC... they ramp the number up to 64 but the actual map size doesn't increase they just slap a few more spawn points down and what you get is an utter shit fest.

I honestly can't believe you are calling it an imaginary threat, play some of the previous battlefields and you will see what it has done to the series. I did however enjoy Bad Company 2 and thought it was a good balance between short and medium range combat but the solid Battlefield series was all about all over combat and they gimped that due to limitations of the Console, they were hardly going to create 2 versions of Caspian Border or Operation Firestorm were they?

If you can't see the limitations the console release imposed on BF3 and would likely be the same for Dayz you are blind.

24 player cap is fine for a game like this. Even 30 players feels too crowded. In my humble opinion. Some things just won't work on a console, but DayZ would be just fuckin fine.

I do agree I believe the game would function fine on the console but I think that the cost of that would be the PC version would be much shitter than its potential. Perhaps this choice was taken to ensure the competition from WarZ won't damage their income.

Edited by Mastiff

Have you experienced the mess which is called "Battlefield 3" or "Crysis 2"?

EA's influence destroys a lot of things. Mass Effect is the best example. "WHERES MY MONEY BITCH?" should be EA's tag line.

Sigh. Fine, you asked for it, let's approach this objectively.

Xbox 360 specifications:

CPU; Tri-core running at 3.2 GHz with 2 hardware threads per core and 1MB l2 cache, GPU: custom ATI Graphics processor clocking in at 500 MhZ, RAM: 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz (shared with gpu for vram).

Playstation 3 specifications:

CPU: Cell processor made of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based PPE and six SPE's.GPU: custom Nvidia Graphics processor using the 7-series architecture clocking in at 550 Mhz., RAM: 256 MB system memory + 256 MB dedicated video memory.

ARMA 3 ( no official minimum req's, all speculation, but still a reasonable guess) minimum requirements: CPU: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz , GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 3000 with Shader Model 4 and 512 MB VRAM, RAM: 2 GB

This is all assuming DayZ stand-alone will have similiar requirements. So let's make a quick checklist:

Required CPU: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz - Xbox 360 passes. PS3 passes.

Required GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 - Xbox 360 fails. PS3 fails.

Required RAM: 2 GB - Xbox 360 fails. PS3 fails.

Could Arma 3 and subsequently DayZ stand-alone from an engine viewpoint? Yes. If you lower settings on the engine, it will start depending more on the cpu which is where the consoles have any real power.

This is without modifying the engine to be more console-friendly. And even if that happens, the console version will be severely crippled not only in terms of eye candy, but also in number of players. Just like how Battlefield 3 on consoles only supports 24 players while PC supports 64. Xbox live and PSN simply cannot handle 50 or 100 player servers. The very maximum I can see happening is 30 player servers and that's pushing the limits.

TL;DR - DayZ on consoles will probably happen but will be severely lacking compared to PC version.

And to people saying Rocket will 'pull an EA' and develop with consoles in mind like Battlefield 3 ... Really? REALLY? You're gonna compare 1 man who came up with a cool idea to a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION?

Do humanity a favor and remove yourselves from the gene-pool.

• Like 3

The mess with modern games DESIGNED for multiple platforms is entirely based on lowest common denominator controls.

I HATE the controls in Skyrim because I can tell that they are designed to accommodate the limitations of a console/controller environment thus ignoring vast swaths of control available through my keyboard.

If DayZ is made to its full potential for PC and then a console version is made or ported, I could care less if it's dumbed down, for console..

I don't care if my chocolate's in their peanut butter, but they'd better keep their peanut butter out of my chocolate....

• Like 4

And to people saying Rocket will 'pull an EA' and develop with consoles in mind like Battlefield 3 ... Really? REALLY? You're gonna compare 1 man who came up with a cool idea to a MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION?

Do humanity a favor and remove yourselves from the gene-pool.

He is developing it with a large corporation (BIS), he ain't doing this entire thing solo and I'm pretty sure it would be in their best interests to rake in as much money as possible. Announcing a console release version means they will be trying to go for that... the pattern for nearly every game that has had a split release is to focus on the console and that pattern more often than not causes a game to be lower quality than it could be on the PC

I can't imagine Zhinto or whatever or any of the leader Dice developers would of wanted BF3 to be shafted so much, they probably didn't even envision Battlelog at the beginning.

So, if you think this one man is actually in control of everything and that Bohemia interactive are giving Rocket a blank cheque to do this project...

Do humanity a favour and remove yourself from the gene-pool.

If DayZ is made to its full potential for PC and then a console version is made or ported, I could care less if it's dumbed down, for console..

This is also my opinion, however I have little faith that will be the case... only hope.

Edited by Mastiff

Arma 3 spec list guess list not too far from Bf3 or Crysis...... They have ports on the consoles..

Edited by TalkingGoats

Arma 3 spec list guess list not too far from Bf3 or Crysis...... They have ports on the consoles..

I think you're avoiding the point entirely... I have no doubt they could make Arma 2 or Arma 3 or any spin off work on the console... though my concerns and many other PC enthusiasts is at what cost in the game development would that port come at.

People aren't screaming "NO WAY DON'T GO ON CONSOLE PC ONLY WAAAHHH" and if they are they're being douches, I don't mind if it goes to console what I do mind is that it takes priority in development. I have a 360 and I play a few games here and there on them but when I want a proper gaming experience I turn to my PC. If consoles took priority in development then the PC version will likely suffer... and thus this is where many concerns are being raised... BF3 is an absolutely prime example, even looking at Skyrim, it had huge potential on the PC and in some ways it does but as someone pointed out before the key mapping is just diabolical on that game.

So, if you think this one man is actually in control of everything and that Bohemia interactive are giving Rocket a blank cheque to do this project...

Not once did I imply that he is doing this alone, I'm simply using Rocket himself as a focus point.

And you simply cannot compare BIS to a corporation like EA.

Edited by Myth`~