alcatraz968

Rocket, Please don't. (Dayz on Console).

I am also a PC fanboy and would like to see you completely ignore a huge customer base that will chuck their money at you.

Well if you look at his crysis example, crysis 2 sold worse on all 3 platforms combined than crysis sold on PC alone. If you treat the PC community with respect we reward, if you piss us off we disown you, and in cryteks case they fuck themselves. If crysis 2 would have been the succesor to crysis, it would have sold 4-5 times what it did.

Not every game is gonna sell like cod. And console gamers don't want games like day z.

• Like 1

if its ported to console FROM PC, why should any of you care?

Because it never turns out that way.

And Rocket is one guy, he's got enough on his plate developing DayZ into an actual game beyond a gather food and weapons walking simulator

taking on consoles will lead to the PC suffering AGAIN because the developer is too busy dealing with console issues.

Oh and once a new console game comes out the consolers will dump DayZ like a wet blanket for the new shiny toy. Rocket and Bohemia will have their money

and PC players will be left begging for support, if they don't do what they did with Battlefield and Crysis and say bye bye.

Edited by jblackrupert

Agreed with most of my fellow pc-master racers, but just wanted to chime in and say that Crysis 1 was never all that, even running on a high end PC. Very pretty, but it didn't do anything new or noteworthy.

Available for Pc/Xbox/ps3 = console game with mouse plugged in.

Watered down complexity, movement, freedom, customization, last and specifically least...graphics.

Maybe they can get those EA BF3 marketing guys to tell us it'll be a real game for half a year then release another dumbed down cookie cutter fps and pretend they just didn't know better on their way to the bank.

One of the main draws of dayz is it is PC only. This doesn't guarantee a good game, but it sure a hell makes a game with good gameplay more likely.

Very disappointed this option is even being considered.

If you take any developers promise that a game being developed for both PC and console will be "pc focused" you are incapable of learning from experience and just waiting to be burned once again.

Fill the game with hints, tutorials, easy modes and DLC to your hearts content, PC gamers have wizened up to this crap and will not be purchasing it.

Can i borrow your time traveler? I want to see if dayz ever makes it outta alpha.

Thats what every developer throughout history has said just before they dump the latest console port turd on us and then spend all of their time and effort on the console version.

DayZ isn't even out of Alpha and barely has anything other then gather weapons, food then walk around killing people out of boredom and he's talking console.

It sounds to me like $$$ are starting to ring in his head.

It sounds to me like you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

He said that once the PC game is at a stable state, they'll THEN put it on consoles.

PC will come first THEN the port will happen, which will be a shoddier product compared to the original.

Ala minecraft.

why does it matter if he wants to make it for consoles as well. I personally think it will be a great idea as it brings a new audience to the game

And console gamers don't want games like day z.

Well that is a lie i use my xbox for gaming more than my pc and so do many of my friends and they would all love if DayZ would come to console.

The post is mainly filled with spoilt pc fanboys that get everything they want when they want, as if modding, better graphics and better possibilities wasn't enough they want to make amazing games exclusive to them. It's like BF 3 all over again

• Like 1

I like to think the console sale could greatly increase/insure the finances for the future release, engine and features developement. If people choose to play on low res shitty consoles than fine, as long as the primary (PC) gets the most love.

It could also mean they would have an acces to best tools and man power to eliminate the hacking/exploits to an absolute minimum.....but I can only hope so...

It sounds to me like you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

He said that once the PC game is at a stable state, they'll THEN put it on consoles.

PC will come first THEN the port will happen, which will be a shoddier product compared to the original.

Ala minecraft.

Been gaming for over 35 years, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I put quarters into a game called "Computer Space" when it was in arcades next to the pinball machines. Look it up

I remember the days when games came with magical things called Manuals that had 100 or more pages. Games based on books CAME with a copy of the actual book.

what you call "Special Limited L33T Edition" now and costs $150 is what we used to get in every game. People would buy games based on the weight of the box sometimes.

- Thief 3

- F.E.A.R 2/3

- Battlefield 3

Just three examples of games that started on PC and went console port turd even after the developers said.... PC is the lead platform.. we love you guys.. trust us...blah blah blah

Cross platform gaming is BAD for PC.... We always get the short end of the stick

You're simply too young to remember a day when games on PC were not dumbed down console ports and developers like EA were actually worshipped for their quality

and not corporate money grubbing scammers.

Edited by jblackrupert
  • Like 6

Can see that many people don't read the post, or understand it.

This guy, he gets it. Beans for you sir!

The rest of you, please come join us. We are a small group that prides ourselves on not being batshit crazy fanboys..

I care because he has to decide soon. He has to think of how he makes the game within a few months. Or else the port to console will be impossible.

And, I'm not a Fan-boy. I am thinking about making the best gaming experiences possible. I don't want a good game to die (As i have stated).

Thats what every developer throughout history has said just before they dump the latest console port turd on us and then spend all of their time and effort on the console version.

DayZ isn't even out of Alpha and barely has anything other then gather weapons, food then walk around killing people out of boredom and he's talking console.

It sounds to me like $$$ are starting to ring in his head.

Not sure if $$$ are ringing through his head, but what you said is true.

Look at BF3. The game is completely broken (At-least at higher level of game play).

Crysis 2 was ported from console. Anyone noticed that it was first only DX9. Before they patched it months later for DX11.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

What people don't understand is that consoles are to weak for this game. Read my post's please's. This game would have to be dumb down a lot for: engine wise / game-play wise / graphics wise.

Im happy people are putting there opinions, but alot of them of them are ignorant. People don't seem to understand the limitations of the current consoles. They are 7 Years old. PC performances has gone up over 100% sense's then.

To restate for the people who can't read this post, or are to lazy to. I will post this in bold. Sorry for the people who do.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Consoles are to weak to run this engine. They would have to downsize the whole thing to barely play this game. That would effect PC because he would have to dumb down PC version to port it.

Edited by Alcatraz968

why does it matter if he wants to make it for consoles as well. I personally think it will be a great idea as it brings a new audience to the game

Well that is a lie i use my xbox for gaming more than my pc and so do many of my friends and they would all love if DayZ would come to console.

The post is mainly filled with spoilt pc fanboys that get everything they want when they want, as if modding, better graphics and better possibilities wasn't enough they want to make amazing games exclusive to them. It's like BF 3 all over again

You do realize that without PC gamers buying their damn expensive hardware to play at top (visualy pleasing/accaptable) resolution/quality the fookin pathetic consoles would be stuck in PS 2 days don't you??

Maybe all everbody ever needed were consoles, I mean modeling, video editing, game developing can be done on consoles right? Oh that's right it can't

Hey how do you like blu ray movies? I'm sure you do :)

You do realize that without PC gamers buying their damn expensive hardware to play at top (visualy pleasing/accaptable) resolution/quality the fookin pathetic consoles would be stuck in PS 2 days don't you??

Maybe all everbody ever needed were consoles, I mean modeling, video editing, game developing can be done on consoles right? Oh that's right it can't

Hey how do you like blu ray movies? I'm sure you do :)

doesn't give the right to make games this good exclusive to p.c

console gaming made gaming way more popular due to easier access e.g. cheaper prize. without console gaming alot of games may not even be around.

i dont really like watching blu ray paying around £100 for another console i dont like just to see a shitty blue menu and bearly noticeable change in video, but an extra £100 doesnt matter to someone who likes to pay about £1500 for a pc and even more money to get the equipment to do such things like game developing.

console gaming keeps the game companies funded to make new games

Edited by GLRUBBERDUCK

oh and BTW..... Bohemia is on record for YEARS stating that Arma 2/3 will not be released on consoles because the engine has long since outgrown them.

Go ahead and start a "I want Arma 3 on my console" thread on the Arma forum and see how fast it gets closed. They'll say. not gonna happen... Use Search function next time. CLOSING.

Even with a standalone DayZ version of the engine their going to have to gut it to hell and back just a squeeze it onto an Xbox or PS3.

Rocket who is the sole person working on the code for DayZ is going to have what little time and resources he has now stretched thin trying to crank out a dumbed down console DayZ.

This is about money pure and simple.

There is ONLY one "end all rule" in this industry:

Everyone has their price, and Everyone sells out eventually. There isnt any integrity left anywhere, truly disgusting and sad.

if its ported to console FROM PC, why should any of you care?

Because we've all heard that before- it doesn't mean jack and could still very well mean the dumbing down/degradation of the game. ALL games start off on PC, you can't design games using consoles.

Edited by Sniper Pilot
  • Like 2

doesn't give the right to make games this good exclusive to p.c

console gaming made gaming way more popular due to easier access e.g. cheaper prize. without console gaming alot of games may not even be around.

i dont really like watching blu ray paying around £100 for another console i dont like just to see a shitty blue menu and bearly noticeable change in video, but an extra £100 doesnt matter to someone who likes to pay about £1500 for a pc

Consoles are what is known as a "Loss leader",, What that means is it' costs MORE to manufacture, market and ship a console then what it sells for. They lose money on every console they sell.

Nobody would buy them if MS and Sony sold consoles for the price it cost to make them + a little profit.

They nail you on the costs of games and they pump out as many crappy, dumbed down, cheap ass games as possible to recover the hundreds of millions of dollars they lost when they console firts came out.

You DO NOT need to spend £1500 for a pc... that a bullsh$%# MYTH spread by consolers who's mommy and daddy won't give them any money for a PC.

The cost of a console + games over it's lifetime is actually the SAME or MORE then it would cost to buy a decent gaming PC that can do so much more and have access to THOUSANDS of free games and apps.

The PS3 was estimated to cost nearly $800 to make when it came out based on research of the parts and the prices Sony paid for them at the time.

so they were losing close to $500 per PS3 sold for years........and unless the person who bought each PS3 bought enough games, Sony never makes any money

thats why they churn out so many console games every year.... to recover their money and hopefully turn a profit.

Do the math. how much did your NEW console cost and how much have to blown on games. Chances are you could have bought a decent PC for that much and got SO MUCH MORE.

Edited by jblackrupert
  • Like 3

Consoles are what is known as a "Loss leader",, What that means is it' costs MORE to manufacture, market and ship a console then what it sells for. They lose money on every console they sell.

Nobody would buy them if MS and Sony sold consoles for the price it cost to make them + a little profit.

They nail you on the costs of games and they pump out as many crappy, dumbed down, cheap ass games as possible to recover the hundreds of millions of dollars they lost when they console firts came out.

You DO NOT need to spend £1500 for a pc... that a bullsh$%# MYTH spread by consolers who's mommy and daddy won't give them any money for a PC.

The cost of a console + games over it's lifetime is actually the SAME or MORE then it would cost to buy a decent gaming PC that can do so much more and have access to THOUSANDS of free games and apps.

you didnt understand. likes to pay about £1500 for a pc and even more money to get the equipment to do such things like game developing. you dont need that much money to play games. i see you cut that bit out of my post :)

Edited by GLRUBBERDUCK

The PS3 was estimated to cost nearly $800 to make when it came out based on research of the parts and the prices Sony paid for them at the time.

so they were losing close to $500 per PS3 sold for years........and unless the person who bought each PS3 bought enough games, Sony never makes any money

thats why they churn out so many console games every year.... to recover their money and hopefully turn a profit.

Do the math. how much did your NEW console cost and how much have to blown on games. Chances are you could have bought a decent PC for that much and got SO MUCH MORE.

games are pretty much exactly the same, except console have worse graphics, while p.c have to deal with shity ports, and to play games like arma 2 you do need a high end computer. but not all games are like arma 2. i like both forms of gaming i just don't see why you hate consoles so much. most game companies get most of there profit from consoles (not microsoft or sony) they dont need to rely on games to make profit so even though they loose profit on consoles the make it all pack on tvs/ mobile phones and other elecrtical devices

double post srry

Edited by GLRUBBERDUCK

If they follow the minecraft model everything is fine. Best is if they outsource or use a different team for the console version once the pc version is stable. I don't think its that unrealistic.

Lets say an extra team of ten people works for a year on the console version, would be ~ 500.000$ or so in expenses. If this makes PC gamers happy because the PC version gets updated as frequently, it may increase the reputation of DayZ. This can easily make a difference between a million sales or two million on the consoles if theres not as much hate from the community. If the guys at bohemia have a brain they won't dumb down the pc version and waste the potential of building an awesome reputation in an entirely new market.

games are pretty much exactly the same, except console have worse graphics, while p.c have to deal with shity ports, and to play games like arma 2 you do need a high end computer.

IMO nowadays you get computers cheaper then ever before. My 4 year old pc can run DayZ with everything on high except some settings that just use performance and do little visually, namely VSync, AA, object details (is on middle) and these strange effects if you move... You can get a used PC like that for 150$ on ebay. This will also run Battlefield 3 just fine, not maxed out obviouly. Still better compared to the consoles.

Once cheap new consoles come out (XBox 720) the price-ratio from pc to consles might change again, but currently, PC wins IMO.

Edited by DieBrotmafia
  • Like 1

I read the article on IGN, so that's what I'm basing my opinion off of. Not sure if its the exact same as the Kotaku article.

He basically said consoles are a possibility, if the PC standalone version sells well. I just don't want to see it on 360/PS3 as their life cycles are expiring. Honestly, if he decides to jump right in, I'd like to see it on WiiU. The touchscreen gamepad would be PERFECT for the inventory system; the question remains if it is capable enough to run DayZ. If so, that would be the first console he should port it to, and then 720/PS4 if he should so desire. I don't believe it would water down the PC experience at all; he stated that it would be PC first, and then possibly ported, a la Witcher 2. CD Projeckt Red did a fantastic job in the 360 port of Witcher 2, but definitely had to cut back on the graphics. They redesigned the Inventory and controls to fit the controller, and did a pretty good job. Its still not the same as the PC version, but its not a bad compliment. I believe Rocket could handle a DayZ port in much the same way.

IGN DayZ article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/dayz-on-consoles-could-happen

Been gaming for over 35 years, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I put quarters into a game called "Computer Space" when it was in arcades next to the pinball machines. Look it up

I remember the days when games came with magical things called Manuals that had 100 or more pages. Games based on books CAME with a copy of the actual book.

what you call "Special Limited L33T Edition" now and costs $150 is what we used to get in every game. People would buy games based on the weight of the box sometimes.

- Thief 3

- F.E.A.R 2/3

- Battlefield 3

Just three examples of games that started on PC and went console port turd even after the developers said.... PC is the lead platform.. we love you guys.. trust us...blah blah blah

Cross platform gaming is BAD for PC.... We always get the short end of the stick

You're simply too young to remember a day when games on PC were not dumbed down console ports and developers like EA were actually worshipped for their quality

and not corporate money grubbing scammers.

We are brothers separated at birth. I still treasure my 1980s-early 90s game boxes, full of detailed maps, proper manuals and a token or two. You are so right we have been lied to by developers over and over again on how we are first in their minds, but then they see the $$$ they think they can make dumbing it down for the console market and we are left with the Thief 3s, Dragon Age 2s of the world.... god help you if you tried that Bard's Tale remake a few years ago.

Edited by jukaga
  • Like 2

rocket should do what gives him more pleasure. if he want more money, go for consoles; if want to stick with pc fine... stop crying.

games are pretty much exactly the same, except console have worse graphics, while p.c have to deal with shity ports

How can they be exactly the same and PC get shitty ports?

crappy console ports are more then just lower graphic detail.....it's the controls......easier gameplay......built in cheats...even auto-aim in the settings....

Battlefield 3 for example has totally ditched the tactical play of BF2/1942/2142 for a pure run and gun, no commander COD clone.

Console games are made on the cheap and churned out in mass to recover the lost $$$ on selling consoles at a loss in the store.

Loss leader: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader

Consolers have lower expectations

Consolers don't invest YEARS in a game. They play something, see the next shiney toy and go buy that.

Consolers demand easy to play games. They see a PC game and demand a dumbed down version of it [iE... Battlefield]

Consolers don't demand quality

Consolers are on average much much younger and it's the parents buying the games so they don't really have any personal investment in it. if it sucks...they don't care, no money lost.

Console games are just watered down beer with a higher price.

• Like 2

As long as the PC version is properly built and comes first, then there is no reason not to have a version for consoles. If you don't like playing consoles, don't, but that doesn't mean people who do enjoy consoles should miss out on a good games. The PC version isn't dumbed down if it comes first and is made correctly, so this isn't effecting a PC gamer in any way.