rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

I've been getting quite sick of this on my server. It seems like every group I engage with a few of my friends logs out at the first sight of trouble. I've gotten to the point where if I see people logging out after I shoot them, I've just started to ban them from the server. Tired or spending 30 minutes tracking a guy for a good shot, only to have them log out after being hit once.

I've been getting quite sick of this on my server. It seems like every group I engage with a few of my friends logs out at the first sight of trouble. I've gotten to the point where if I see people logging out after I shoot them' date=' I've just started to ban them from the server. Tired or spending 30 minutes tracking a guy for a good shot, only to have them log out after being hit once.

[/quote']

"- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like."

And no I do not d/c to avoid death.

I believe there is more pressing matters to tackle at this time then to worry about simple connection exploits like this. Work on the tough stuff, come back to easy stuff in the Beta.. I agree with the fix though, 5 second time delay on disconnect. Would it work everytime? No, there will still be profuse bleeding and broken bones on reconnect which will most likely end in death where ever they decide to reconnect.

In Planetside there was a 30-60 second countdown timer to disconnect' date=' a box would pop-up in the middle of screen if you tried moving it or anything it would abort the disconnect and if 1 bullet grazed or if you took any damage the timer would be aborted. If you moved or clicked your mouse the timer aborts and you have to restart it again via ESC>Disconnect. If you ALT-F4 your body stays on the server for 60 seconds till someone kills you.

[/quote']

I think this would be the best solution, but maybe lower it to 10 seconds.

No disconnecting whilst bleeding or unconscious is a must.

I think a timer could be introduced after you've taken damage of any kind to disable disconnect for 60 seconds.

That way it rewards making sure you get within range of your target and making sure you connect with a shot, knowing your target is pinned.

It still allows someone who's being pursued but hasn't taken a hit to escape but I'm okay with that as a compromise.

I doubt it's possible but not being able to disconnect/save when bleeding would be a great addition.

Not sure how it could stop Alt-F4 or router unpluggers though....

Its simple. If your character is bleeding. Make him stay in the game for 30 seconds after disconnect. That way it gives the player enough time to get a couple extra shots in and kill him. Not sure how this would be coded in from an engine stand point though.

I think it's fair to say this issue has been discussed to death (no pun intended) , we all know it happens and will continue to happen until Rocket implements a countermeasure many of which have been suggested.

Best bet for now is just to accept it and continue addressing other issues which to be honest there is many of.

Played for about 1 hour and 4 little school girls D/C on me. One was in the church' date=' me and my AKM were coming in and saw him, retreated a bit and decided to storm in but surprise...no one there. Another one at the market, he had aggro and saw me approaching, 10 seconds later he was gone. Another one at the Power Plant, he was running from zeds, saw me and 5 second later he was gone. Another school girl was running around town, shot a few fires and a few seconds later buh bye.

If you can't handle the heat in Elektro and Cherno stay the f OUT !

On the other hand, some creepy sh*t happend to me. Logged in normally only to find that hourglass (no bleeding) which took about 5 minutes to deplete, when there were like 15 seconds left my character decided to bleed....and died before the hourglass was done. And this after a normal Abort, no aggro or ALT+F4.

I dont know, make a "log off button", press it and after say 15 seconds disconnect the player. If the player disconnects any other way screw him. But any solution has its flaws.

[/quote']

For your third statement, you were in shock before logging in. Therefore you became unconsious when you logged back in.

Plz read the wiki people.

CoolCat

It seems the problem is the IMMEDIATE unconsciousness hourglass after one shot. EXAMPLE:

I shot a player twice with my DMR from approx 10 metres. He immediately went down and alt+f4'd out. OK, I am used to this by now....

....but since I hit him twice with 7.62 surely he should be dead? Did the hourglass after the first shot prevent him from taking further damage? Are players only able to be hurt when conscious? Would really appreciate an answer to this!

No, you still lose blood while the hourglass remains, I believe what the problem is, is the fact that the server updates status only every few seconds, so when Alt+F4'd out, you return to the last known status, hence, slightly more health, or prior to the second shot... Theory anyways. :)

Did the hourglass after the first shot prevent him from taking further damage? Are players only able to be hurt when conscious? Would really appreciate an answer to this!

No, I have continued taking damage and died many times while unconscious

I believe there is more pressing matters to tackle at this time then to worry about simple connection exploits like this. Work on the tough stuff' date=' come back to easy stuff in the Beta.. I agree with the fix though, 5 second time delay on disconnect. Would it work everytime? No, there will still be profuse bleeding and broken bones on reconnect which will most likely end in death where ever they decide to reconnect.

[/quote']

i think fixing the DC exploit is one of the main issues...you know why? Because it completely negates one of the MAIN features of this mod...permadeath. Also if it would be this easy, rocket would have implemented it already...not even the 5 sec timer thing worked. This is the one thing that really fucks immersion...for me every other bug is secondary. Every fucking alarm should ring, when most of the people incorporate DC's into their normal gameplay tactics.

Eh, I disagree... I would work on the physics and natural items first to make gameplay more flowing, for instance, when it takes you 3 seconds to change positions and break out running and the zombies run 3x faster then you, it's a little annoying, also when you drive an ATV over a bridge and mysteriously do a backflip and die, or how about when a Zed breaks your leg after swinging at you from 15 feet away, weird! The D/C thing is just technicalities that is easily handled and can be implemented at a later date. In addition, I believe those that actually do this to escape death still end up dying eventually. If you are so adamant about killing someone, maybe you should re-think your reason for playing, shit if you really want real life, go out and start killing people in your neighborhood, afterall, this is a video game people....

i think fixing the DC exploit is one of the main issues...you know why? Because it completely negates one of the MAIN features of this mod...permadeath. Also if it would be this easy' date=' rocket would have implemented it already...not even the 5 sec timer thing worked. This is the one thing that really fucks immersion...for me every other bug is secondary. Every fucking alarm should ring, when most of the people incorporate DC's into their normal gameplay tactics.

[/quote']

I agree with this. DC'ing, and to an extent server hopping in buildings, should be a top priority.

Eh' date=' I disagree... I would work on the physics and natural items first to make gameplay more flowing, for instance, when it takes you 3 seconds to change positions and break out running and the zombies run 3x faster then you, it's a little annoying, also when you drive an ATV over a bridge and mysteriously do a backflip and die, or how about when a Zed breaks your leg after swinging at you from 15 feet away, weird! The D/C thing is just technicalities that is easily handled and can be implemented at a later date. In addition, I believe those that actually do this to escape death still end up dying eventually. If you are so adamant about killing someone, maybe you should re-think your reason for playing, shit if you really want real life, go out and start killing people in your neighborhood, afterall, this is a video game people....

[/quote']

all of those bugs / annoyances have been in arma since day 1. D/Cing on the other hand is an exploit that should be worked on top priority.

That makes no sense, why would you take an old issue and surpass it with a problem, that's really not a PROBLEM, just a personal issue for YOU? This kind of mentality keeps game designers running in circles... You can't please everyone that is a fact, shoot, last night a buddy and me sniped someone in the NW Airfield and he DC'd, did we need his gear? Nope, we just didn't want him to get the drop on us.. So regardless, threat has been eliminated, carry on with your survival mission.

That makes no sense' date=' why would you take an old issue and surpass it with a problem, that's really not a PROBLEM, just a personal issue for YOU? This kind of mentality keeps game designers running in circles... You can't please everyone that is a fact, shoot, last night a buddy and me sniped someone in the NW Airfield and he DC'd, did we need his gear? Nope, we just didn't want him to get the drop on us.. So regardless, threat has been eliminated, carry on with your survival mission.

[/quote']

You could apply that logic to every single problem you encounter. Ignore - get on.

The problem persists.

IF the fix dcing before fixing barbwire, DAYZ is fu**ed, people will be stuck evrytwhere all the time for decades

If you want a tried and true PVP go play COD.. That's all I'm saying, your rambling is incoherent Zombie, I think I just lost a few brain cells trying to decipher what you just said..

The D/C thing is just technicalities that is easily handled and can be implemented at a later date. In addition' date=' I believe those that actually do this to escape death still end up dying eventually. If you are so adamant about killing someone, maybe you should re-think your reason for playing, shit if you really want real life, go out and start killing people in your neighborhood, afterall, this is a video game people....

[/quote']

why the fuck would i do that? be reasonable, this has nothing to do with real life.

That makes no sense' date=' why would you take an old issue and surpass it with a problem, that's really not a PROBLEM, just a personal issue for YOU

[/quote']

This is not a personal issue, its game braking. Why is that so hard to understand? People cheat death many times in an environment where death and survival are core parts of the experience. Not with skill but with an exploit. They not only use it for defense, its also used if the initial attack goes wrong, server hop position change, server hop to die save and run back to the corpse, etc.

If you want a tried and true PVP go play COD

What a stupid thing to say, this has nothing to do woth COD. You disqualified yourself.

Ah, defensive now are we? You want real life? Join the Marine Corps, you want a video game? STFU and enjoy what is given to you, FOR FREE son... Your demands are falling on dead ears and you are a small percentage of the people who give a crap about the DC issue. Go make a sandwich and enjoy the fact that you still breath with an attitude like that.

PS - It's "Breaking", not "Braking"..

Ah' date=' defensive now are we? You want real life? Join the Marine Corps, you want a video game? STFU and enjoy what is given to you, FOR FREE son... Your demands are falling on dead ears and you are a small percentage of the people who give a crap about the DC issue. Go make a sandwich and enjoy the fact that you still breath with an attitude like that.

PS - It's "Breaking", not "Braking"..

[/quote']

Hey chaveezy, your posting is shite

I think you are high as a kite

your argument blows

and everyone knows

it exist just for picking a fight

Lol, at least someone sees the humor.. Honestly though, in a world "Chernarus", where there is so many inconsistencies with actual "real life", I'm surprised you're complaining about this one.. I'm sure you have a laundry list of things that you complain about on a daily basis.. Just saying...

Max - Nice poem, go write a book instead of playing DayZ, you obviously have a talent that all 3rd graders will enjoy.