rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

Its understandable if you spend hours getting equipment just to have someone shoot you down to start all over again' date=' with nothing at all.

[/quote']

I... Don't think you understand what DayZ is about...

Its understandable if you spend hours getting equipment just to have someone shoot you down to start all over again' date=' with nothing at all.

[/quote']

Oh boy, hours?

I really don't think you understand how this game works.

I can live with it if someone logs out if i shoot at him and thats that. What i absolutely dont want to see in the game is players that will shoot at others - get shot himself - log on another server and applies bandage and eats some beef and logs back to the fight. Or just snipes people from a distance until someone returns fire and sniper logs off. It really is an issue.

Yes thats the worst kind of D/Cing,to patch oneself up, reposition and then go back to fight and kill legit players. Happened to me and my buddy also and it was pretty bad dying because some exploiting dirtbag who even shot at us first (killed me,D/Ced on my buddy and later killing my bud as well).

I can live with it if someone logs out if i shoot at him and thats that. What i absolutely dont want to see in the game is players that will shoot at others - get shot himself - log on another server and applies bandage and eats some beef and logs back to the fight. Or just snipes people from a distance until someone returns fire and sniper logs off. It really is an issue.

Yes thats the worst kind of D/Cing' date='to patch oneself up, reposition and then go back to fight and kill legit players. Happened to me and my buddy also and it was pretty bad dying because some exploiting dirtbag who even shot at us first (killed me,D/Ced on my buddy and later killing my bud as well).

[/quote']

Happened to my group last night but we outplayed them and won the fight (though we lost 2 guys). We got the names of the two of their 3 we killed though ^^

It's seriously annoying though. One guy shot at us, logged, reloaded+repositioned, then came back. Repeat x4. After we killed his two friends he stopped coming back though.

I think the shock condition should last only 60 seconds but activate whenever a player shoots you or zombies bite you, and if you log off to avoid zombies or players you go unconscious for 10 minutes instead. That's enough time to bleed out and die.

I think the shock condition should last only 60 seconds but activate whenever a player shoots you or zombies bite you' date=' and if you log off to avoid zombies or players you go unconscious for 10 minutes instead. That's enough time to bleed out and die.

[/quote']

So if a player gets in a fight without actually getting shot, he can logout and reposition?

Here's a better one:

15 sec logout timer

15 sec login timer

Fixed.

Yeah we had a perfect setup at Stary. Sniper to the south with me as his spotter. We had a second spotter with a thermal scope way to the north west to watch incoming people to the northwest and an assault guy in the north woods.

We spotted two survivors headed to the Stary camp. I was within 150 meters of the tents and we had our assaulter open fire. After he was done firing we were all in position to box them in and kill them' date=' perfect strategy...they DCed and never came back to the server only knowing that one guy was after them at the time. Would have been an epic takedown had they had the BALLS to stay and die like men...

[/quote']

What server?

I think the shock condition should last only 60 seconds but activate whenever a player shoots you or zombies bite you' date=' and if you log off to avoid zombies or players you go unconscious for 10 minutes instead. That's enough time to bleed out and die.

[/quote']

So if a player gets in a fight without actually getting shot, he can logout and reposition?

Here's a better one:

15 sec logout timer

15 sec login timer

Fixed.

Zzzzzz. Such a fresh suggestion. Wake me up when the 1,000,000th person suggests it. You are #833,452.

[/quote']

Here's a better one:

15 sec logout timer

15 sec login timer

Fixed.

Zzzzzz. Such a fresh suggestion. Wake me up when the 1,000,000th person suggests it. You are #833,452.

Poor boy, did it detract from your enjoyment of all the "someone-dc'ed-on-me-FIX-IT-NAO!" posts?

Besides, numbers 1 - 833,451 was me as well, I have not seen anybody else suggest a 'freeze on login'. There no threads on it in the suggestion forum, other than the one I made.

Please, wake me up when you start getting constructive.

Freeze on login has been suggested many times.. and it won't help at all. Neither it helps for the server hoppers to reposition (you just need to position a little further); neither it helps to server hop for loot. A fix must be definitive.. not fix only half of the problem, while potentially disrupt the game: being freezed while login? It's the thing that ANY game prevents because you can get spawn-killed.

[/quote']

Here's a better one:

15 sec logout timer

15 sec login timer

Fixed.

Poor boy, did it detract from your enjoyment of all the "someone-dc'ed-on-me-FIX-IT-NAO!" posts?

Besides, numbers 1 - 833,451 was me as well, I have not seen anybody else suggest a 'freeze on login'. There no threads on it in the suggestion forum, other than the one I made.

Please, wake me up when you start getting constructive.

I'm never constructive. Your mom can do that for you.

Freeze on login. Are you in an institution over there?

Another thread that's gone 80+ pages past useful.

Yeah we had a perfect setup at Stary. Sniper to the south with me as his spotter. We had a second spotter with a thermal scope way to the north west to watch incoming people to the northwest and an assault guy in the north woods.

We spotted two survivors headed to the Stary camp. I was within 150 meters of the tents and we had our assaulter open fire. After he was done firing we were all in position to box them in and kill them' date=' perfect strategy...they DCed and never came back to the server only knowing that one guy was after them at the time. Would have been an epic takedown had they had the BALLS to stay and die like men...

[/quote']

What server?

US 27 Chicago 21

Been having this bullshit on EU 14, and even when they DC just after death you can't loot their corpse, or their corpse will sink.

[/quote']

What server?

US 27 Chicago 21

I agree they need to implement a way to keep people from DCing to avoid this. Also I hope they implement a unique way to ensure you and your band of merry bandits are not able to indefinitely camp areas without zeds crawling all over you. As it is now zeds don't wander toward people as intended like Rocket states in the FAQs. A 4 man squad well organized can camp areas like this indefinitely. Seems they should implement random zed horde zergs to get those campers up and moving. Or make it obvious youre there from all the gunfire fighting off zeds while camping around Cities.

I like this mod and loved the idea of it and the survival horror aspect of it all .

But the real horror is 80% of time your getting killed by people who disconnect before death :@ , And hense you meet each other , he has a scope rifle etc and your standing with a rench and a tin of beans . I seen this fatal flaw straight away in the game

I check back on the forum from time to time to see if its been resolved , and i wont go near the game again until it has ,Sure its far more complicated than i understand .But once your bleeding out are within a 100 meters of zombies are people, disconnection should mean death plain and simple.

I would rather die a hundred times, because i had to disconnect when engaged are lost connection etc ,Then play a game full of cheaters who exploit this ))) Just surprises me people still play it while this is still not resolved . Its undermines the whole idea of the game .Its no more than a team deatch match with some zombies inbetween untill they fix it .But i wont lose any sleep because i had the game for arma not this mod ,

Hope they fix it, because its a great idea for a game)))

Haha, it's getting to the point where people just dc when they meet someone.

Happened to me a few times where i run past someone that's in a building and they see me then i go in to see if i can talk to them or kill them and they dc with not even a shot fired.

Freeze on login has been suggested many times.. and it won't help at all. Neither it helps for the server hoppers to reposition (you just need to position a little further); neither it helps to server hop for loot. A fix must be definitive.. not fix only half of the problem' date=' while potentially disrupt the game: being freezed while login? It's the thing that ANY game prevents because you can get spawn-killed.

[/quote']

The fact that it can get you spawn killed is why it would work. You would have to log off somewhere safe-ish. That is the whole point. Also, I double dare you m-f to find just a few of these 'many' times' it has been suggested.

@Disgraced.

This thread is 80+ pages because every time someone is having a somewhat sensible discussion, people like yourself will come in and shit all over it. You have done absolutely nothing in favour of this community, you are in fact worthless to it. Please make yourself scarce while the rest of us talk about the dc issue. If you don't like the thread, you can choose not to look at it. Ta'.

The issue isn't design related, it's all technical. The fix is easy to design: 30 second logout timer (and if you alt-f4, your toon stays logged in). This is how all the MMOs do it, and it works just fine. As for logging out to reposition yourself, that fix is easy as well: If you log back into a server within 30 minutes of logging off that server, you log back in where you last left, rather than your new position.

Logging in and out should be high-risk activities, not ones that help protect you.

The issue isn't design related' date=' it's all technical. The fix is easy to design: 30 second logout timer (and if you alt-f4, your toon stays logged in). This is how all the MMOs do it, and it works just fine. As for logging out to reposition yourself, that fix is easy as well: If you log back into a server within 30 minutes of logging off that server, you log back in where you last left, rather than your new position.

Logging in and out should be high-risk activities, not ones that help protect you.

[/quote']

The implementation is not that easy, sadly. Rocket tried to put in a 5 sec logout timer, but it didn't work as intended so it was reverted. Needed more work. Maybe we will see something in 1.7.2?

Freeze on login has been suggested many times.. and it won't help at all. Neither it helps for the server hoppers to reposition (you just need to position a little further); neither it helps to server hop for loot. A fix must be definitive.. not fix only half of the problem' date=' while potentially disrupt the game: being freezed while login? It's the thing that ANY game prevents because you can get spawn-killed.

[/quote']

The fact that it can get you spawn killed is why it would work. You would have to log off somewhere safe-ish. That is the whole point. Also, I double dare you m-f to find just a few of these 'many' times' it has been suggested.

@Disgraced.

This thread is 80+ pages because every time someone is having a somewhat sensible discussion, people like yourself will come in and shit all over it. You have done absolutely nothing in favour of this community, you are in fact worthless to it. Please make yourself scarce while the rest of us talk about the dc issue. If you don't like the thread, you can choose not to look at it. Ta'.

Having a poor game design as a feature would be ridiculous, excuse me the frankness. Any situation that leaves your character without the user control should be avoided at ALL COSTS, never and ever your character should exists in-world when the operator cannot control it, unless it is under shock or dead.

- A timeout on logout MUST have an option to abort it (i may think to be safe, then i decide to logout, but while logging out i hear a shot.. i then have to abort the logout and check the situation);

- A timeout on login MUST NOT exists at all (you expose ppl to be spawnkilled, not only the server hoppers, but anyone; it would be considered a poor game design or a bug, rather than a feature!).

Remember: we do not have a magic sphere to know who's really exploiting the game, and who's just quitting normally or login normally, we cannot punish anyone, introducing a stupid solution, only because there's exploiters.

(1) Each time the player disconnects, save server info and time mark to the character.

(2) Do that^ for every disconnection.

(3) Each time the player joins a server, delete the disconnection data that is older than 10 minutes (ie. if that particular disconnection data is from over 10 minute ago).

(4) Each time the player joins a server, compare disconnection entries to the current server.

(5) If the player is found to be reconnecting to one of those servers within 10 minutes (see #3), auto-kick.

Won't solve ALT+F4'ers but it will solve the server hopping to spawn behind somebody's back to kill him or her. Shouldn't be difficult, no?

Having a poor game design as a feature would be ridiculous' date=' excuse me the frankness. Any situation that leaves your character without the user control should be avoided at ALL COSTS, never and ever your character should exists in-world when the operator cannot control it, unless it is under shock or dead.

- A timeout on logout MUST have an option to abort it (i may think to be safe, then i decide to logout, but while logging out i hear a shot.. i then have to abort the logout and check the situation);

- A timeout on login MUST NOT exists at all (you expose ppl to be spawnkilled, not only the server hoppers, but anyone; it would be considered a poor game design or a bug, rather than a feature!).

Remember: we do not have a magic sphere to know who's really exploiting the game, and who's just quitting normally or login normally, we cannot punish anyone, introducing a stupid solution, only because there's exploiters.

[/quote']

Your frankness is appreciated, but whether is is poor game sesign or not is a matter of opinion.

Being able to abort a logout timer is fine with be, good idea.

A login timer should, in my opinion, exist. It would force people to log off in the woods or a similar safe place. I often go afk in bushes to go to the loo, fill my coffee mug and similar. Never died from it. Needing to plan where you log off would push DayZ closer to 'survival game' and further away from 'deathmatch'.

Your frankness is appreciated' date=' but whether is is poor game sesign or not is a matter of opinion.

Being able to abort a logout timer is fine with be, good idea.

A login timer should, in my opinion, exist. It would force people to log off in the woods or a similar safe place. I often go afk in bushes to go to the loo, fill my coffee mug and similar. Never died from it. Needing to plan where you log off would push DayZ closer to 'survival game' and further away from 'deathmatch'.

[/quote']

A short logout timer can work. It doesn't need to be long - 5 seconds is more than enough. It doesn't need to cancel on damage - 5 seconds of being totally immobile is enough if someone was actually going to kill you (and that's why you're logging out so quickly) they likely don't need that time. It needs to be something you can cancel, something short, but long enough to remove that "clutch" element. MMOs also use a timer, but even in those if you find a hiding place long enough, you can do it. You'll never truly "fix" it. MMOs can't, why can DayZ? You can't. But a 5sec timer will remove 90% of the things people whine about it for.

A login timer is a horrible idea - your suggestion it forces people to log out somewhere safe implies there is such a thing in the DayZ world - there isn't. Anyone can be anywhere at any time. There are no safe zones.

Your commentary that you've not died hiding in a bush while you go take a piss is great, but you're only one player out of a few hundred thousand. Guarantee someone else hasn't been so lucky.

Also there's enough trouble just getting logged in and not finding you've been randomly moved to a forest in buttfuck nowhere as it is, without you being a sitting duck. This is counter intuitive anyway - most games have a period of IMMUNITY on login or spawn, not VULNERABILITY.

tl;dr

Short Logout time - Y. Proven system in many games

Login time - N. Terrible idea for any game, much less one with permadeath.

Is there any way to bind pressing Alt+F4 to a mechanic that will make you pull out your pistol and blow your own brains all over the floor? Then not tell anyone about it?