rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

untill the zombies have a range where they will stop following you, i dont care about the relogging for zombies, but the players d/cing because the yhear shots is kinda annoying ill admit, ill only d/c AFTER i have ran away to where they can not shoot me. (mostly when i run into the forest and they are not chasing and i know they wont care)

untill the zombies have a range where they will stop following you' date=' i dont care about the relogging for zombies, but the players d/cing because the yhear shots is kinda annoying ill admit, ill only d/c AFTER i have ran away to where they can not shoot me. (mostly when i run into the forest and they are not chasing and i know they wont care)

[/quote']

Ahahaha,

The zombies do have a range mate, run into a supermarket, or over the hospital and wait a bit for them to come in, then run out the other side, they wont be chasing you.

You are just another D/cing player at the end of the day. Its an exploit, and you're using it. simple as that.

can you at least make zombiers slower cos this speed and movement is totaly unrealistic.

10,000,000% agree. They should move at the same speed as real zombies. Oh, wait.

10' date='000,000% agree. They should move at the same speed as real zombies. Oh, wait.

[/quote']

Realistic != Real

=DRN= clan DC'd on the friend n i even when it was 2 v 13

killed about 3[confirmed] +2[wounded/dead?] rest DC'd n tried to flank thru server jumps lol

no contest

they play on a UK server called League of Gentleman no PK

[LuLz]

they are an oceanic clan of DC'n noobs who still fail even w/ server jumping

this happened btwn 2am-3am[PDT][uTC -7]

That's funny, considering that we had the server admin in our Vent who has the logs to prove we didn't. How about contacting the server admin for evidence before posting false accusations. I speak on behalf of the DRN clan when I say we are all for honourable gameplay. Anyone even remotely linked to foul play gets kicked out and banned, no exception.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=25284

Our thread explaining things. Even more ironic is that most of us were all dead last night (10 of us), spawning along the coast. IIRC, only 2 guys were on the way to Stary after we got hit with hackers.

michael.tyser@googlemail.com and tomas.tyser@seznam.cz are the server admins, feel free to send them an email.

EDIT: Expletives were removed. If you have an issue, Deltron, PM me and I can give you the Ventrilo details so we can settle this like men.

@Deltron3030 Claiming that other people are server hoppers with a flimsy image is pretty rude, i mean all it shows is that who was in the game and who was in the lobby.

What the image could mean, is that some were just joining, others just died, some are just leaving, you need a lttle more proof behind this image.

I know some of the DRN guys, they play legit, no server hopping at all.

They did tell me that they have been repeatedly attacked by server hoppers.

They also told me that they managed to kill one of them.

So, is this a rage response?

(Not an accusation, a question)

Throwing accusations around, doesn't do annyone justice.

Err not going to lie but frequent logging in and out then your character being killed is probably more stupid then D/C in pvp. i know that if they log when i shoot them they are weak and pathetic and they didn't deserve to be on my kill counter anyway. you can't restrict something like that then punish someone when you don't know the reasons why it's even happening. whos to say they were not just with their friends trying to find severs they could connect together to and one friend can't get in so you all log out to try another server, and someone else has the problem. so you keep moving around and then what your punished for trying to play with friends? what if your having connections problems and you keep losing connection to the server after enough times the problem resolves on it's own you log back in and your dead? why was he/she punished for something he/she had no control over. yea the D/C for zombies and players is indeed an exploit but the only way to battle that problem is report that players name to the powers that be they investigate the log during said time this occured if it matches and sufficient evidence has been had then his character be killed. thats really the only way it can work. there is a reason the military doesn't let robots have the option to choose to kill it's targets and that it must be done by the operator of the machine. why? because a machine doesn't have judgement it just does what it's told. so it's an unfair setup that instead should be controlled by a human to house the kill switch and not the machine. yea sure he gets a warning if it continues then bye bye character. but don't let a machine do the judging it will find every instance guilty everytime. i can give yah hundreds of reasons why i find that a faulty solution. just saying. keep up the good work otherwise

I suggest a delayed logout. If it's technically possible add a 20 second countdown dialog before proceeding to the lobby.

I don't know why' date=' but people are assuming that I think this is part of the game.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that, that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

It will be patched out, very easily, in a future update. The update is ready to go and will be released when the Beta patch for ArmA2 is out.

[/quote']

Dear Rocket,

thank you for creating this awesome amazing game. I haven't been this amazed by a game since the early 2000s.

I think you should enable this patch soon enough. The reason why this game is so immerse is because there is a indeed penalty for being careless, making a mistake, dying.

It is together with your entire concept of a zombie apocalypse and human interaction as a whole that makes this so darn amazing. The last game that I personally recalled that has such immersion to me was Ultima Online.

Afterall, DayZ is a multiplayer game, it is the human interaction that makes a great multiplayer game or not and through the mechanics that you have thought of, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, infact, crazily immerse myself into this game despite having a busy working life.

Back to the fix, why I think you should implement it soon enough. It is the penalty and realism that sets DayZ apart from many other FPS game. I know DayZ is not an entirely FPS game as well, it is one of its kind in my opinion.

However, the lack of penalty from dying makes this game boring, not extremely sustainable in my opinion.

One just has to run into good loot buildings and lose the zombies by alt+f4 or aborting. It's easy to do that all the time. What's the point of having the zombies if it can be exploited?

I do this as well, it's tempting when you are almost dying to hordes of zombie to abort. Guilty as charged, even when one(I) try my best not to, but the ability to exploit it, sometime it's too convenience.

When I started this game, not knowing of this tricky, rather exploit. It was way more immersive, more challenging.

I believe you know the fix for this already, which is fairly easy.

This as well makes PVP a lot more challenging. I believe with the inability to exploit aborting/alt+f4ing, this ma give people reason to start cooperating as well due to the challenges just handling the zombies.

PVPing becomes a WTF session because 9/10 people who are dying will simply abort/alt+f4. Log into another server and ask their buddies to save them.

And since you already have the solution for this, why not implement it soon. People get bored of game once it loses the challenge it provides. The only other reason to stay is only because of friends, I guess.

So, on the thought of longevity, sustainability and growth of the game, I just hope you would implement this fix soon enough.

Cheers!

Once again, thank you for making this awesome game!

Simple solution

*10 minute server change countdown timer (starts when you quit the server and you will be denied access until the timer expires) *Deals with server hoppers and people who relocate to kill you because they now need to spend 20 minutes total to kill you due to them hopping between 2 servers

*60 second logout timer (To logout you must not move and stay static, if you get damaged by anything the timer stops and you must reinstate the logout procedure, any player movement or shooting also resets the timer) *Deals with people who are chicken and don't want to fight

*2 minute Forced Disconnect penalty (Unplug cable, Alt-F4 etc). Your character stay in game for 2 minutes as a penalty for not successfully exiting the game correctly, the character stays and is immobile and can be killed freely within the 2 minutes)

*Killed player loot is saved server side and does not de-spawn even if player commits a forced disconnect as the player is swapped to a civilian AI.

Most of these will be net code changes and require a retooling of the logout system and login system.

What does everyone think?

Simple solution

*10 minute server change countdown timer (starts when you quit the server and you will be denied access until the timer expires) *Deals with server hoppers and people who relocate to kill you because they now need to spend 20 minutes total to kill you due to them hopping between 2 servers

No. There is no reason to force such a thing. It would `punish` people for connecting to a wrongly labeled server.

The only way I would agree with a timer on reconnecting to another server is after a forced quit and the `ghost` of the player is still on a server' date=' but feel that this shouldn't be longer then a minute. If the ghost dies or DCs, the timer should be gone.

*60 second logout timer (To logout you must not move and stay static, if you get damaged by anything the timer stops and you must reinstate the logout procedure, any player movement or shooting also resets the timer) *Deals with people who are chicken and don't want to fight

*2 minute Forced Disconnect penalty (Unplug cable, Alt-F4 etc). Your character stay in game for 2 minutes as a penalty for not successfully exiting the game correctly, the character stays and is immobile and can be killed freely within the 2 minutes)

*Killed player loot is saved server side and does not de-spawn even if player commits a forced disconnect as the player is swapped to a civilian AI.

Most of these will be net code changes and require a retooling of the logout system and login system.

Agree with the rest.

I feel it would be fine to add timers in the game itself for DCing, and the `penalty` would honestly be a ghost, though would have a proper system behind it that removes the ghost once the person reconnects so they can't farm their own body and dupe things.

"10 minute server change countdown timer" isn't a good idea... I'm not a server hopper or something like it, but i like to play in 3rd-person mode and at daytime and there are often servers that have no information about the mode or time... So mostly i have to change between 4-5 servers to find one i like to play on... and i wouldn't wait 50 min for that...

"60 second logout timer" is to long... I think that 15-20 sec is more than enough

"2 minute Forced Disconnect penalty" what do u do when your internet goes down? u might lose everything without doing anything wrong

^^^^

Give this man a cigar!

That's what Monica Lewinsky said.

I actually logged off once before a player killed me by accident. I was getting ready to log and right as i click abort I saw a dude walking towards me with a hatchet. lol I do agree that doing that intentionally is an exploit

*60 second logout timer (To logout you must not move and stay static' date=' if you get damaged by anything the timer stops and you must reinstate the logout procedure, any player movement or shooting also resets the timer) *Deals with people who are chicken and don't want to fight

[/quote']

Just to be clear, it is OK to be chicken and not want to fight. *I* am chicken and do not want to fight. I just do what any good chicken would do: run like hell.

Concerning the long reconnct waits and 'ghosts' being in the game: I'll leave that descision to the devs. It's their game. But something must be done.

I feel it would be fine to add timers in the game itself for DCing' date=' and the `penalty` would honestly be a ghost, though would have a proper system behind it that removes the ghost once the person reconnects so they can't farm their own body and dupe things.

That just sounds so wrong on so many levels!

The 5 seconds delay has been removed for this reason.. since another player (ie: a friend) had 5 seconds to retrieve stuff from your back pack while you were disconnected already, duplicating the items.

Without a proper implementation a timeout wouldn't works, and it's a Arma2 thing... it requires much more works than just adding a timer.

untill the zombies have a range where they will stop following you' date=' i dont care about the relogging for zombies, but the players d/cing because the yhear shots is kinda annoying ill admit, ill only d/c AFTER i have ran away to where they can not shoot me. (mostly when i run into the forest and they are not chasing and i know they wont care)

[/quote']

Ahahaha,

The zombies do have a range mate, run into a supermarket, or over the hospital and wait a bit for them to come in, then run out the other side, they wont be chasing you.

You are just another D/cing player at the end of the day. Its an exploit, and you're using it. simple as that.

then explain to me why when i do run into a building and run out, all of them just keep chasing me after they go through the building, or just go around the building instead, like i say, they need a range to where they lose interest or when i get far enough away from them.

I would be a field away from the zombie that where chasing me, and i would stop in the tree line and here they come running across the field like blood hounds (that includes running into a barn, waiting 30secs to make sure all of them are in it, and then running out).........

giving that the couple of times its happened might have been a bug, it still happens......

the zombie's speed are fine in my case, might do with a fix to where when you run behind a tree they collide with it, and pause for a sec or 2, it seems like they do this already, but they just turn on their sonic the hedgehog speed and catch up to you no matter how far away you are....

nevertheless, this is how the mod was made, and it being in alpha im sure that the ideas and plans he has for the zombies behavior is not perfect and wont be for some time because making a perfect AI is almost impossible even for the most simplest of actions, and i believe hes done good so far, they just need tweaking which im sure he plans on doing....

Guys, if you DC too fast after each relog on the same server.

The punishment is spawning in debug forest and you will have to run all the way back

Guys' date=' if you DC too fast after each relog on the same server.

The punishment is spawning in debug forest and you will have to run all the way back

[/quote']

haha, nice one :D

Dunno if its was suggested but, why not make the log out phase have a timer? E.g. Once you click 'abort' it makes your character sit down for 30 seconds before log out.

...and u couldnt relogin for that amount of time.

that would solve the problem a bit, and should not be that hard to program

How about instead of making you attackable 30 seconds after disconnecting you do what they did in skyrim with resting. That being "can not wait with enemys arround". You could set the radius to 100 meters and could leave it at hostile creatures or enemys to prevent from using it to detect nearby players. And with the problem with people who disconnect legitamitly simply because the server drops them due to ping they could just be exempt. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in!

This happened to me today. My friend and I were in the wilderness by a deer hut. We both opened up on this guy who obviously had good stuff. Saw blood hits all over and he fell to ground and he must of disconnected cause no corpse. The only encounter in 4 hrs and he disconnects and we get nothing.