unhap

Global Bans for legit players?

Nah BE is pro they have banned over 10,000 hackers OUT OF THE 1 MILL PLAYERS................. in 2 YEARS TIME.............

Hope at stand alone there is no BE

Hmm, I am running the new beta patch and have edited config files to make the game run better. Honestly don't recall what I changed, followed a performance tweak guide someone posted here on the forums. Will go log in and see if I have any issues, then edit this post with the outcome.

Personally I suspect they are able to spoof GUID's and see others GUID's on a given server so please be careful out there about revealing your Admin ID's in case you get trolled too.

Dude, there are hacks now which can download server.cfg and get the RCON password. Hackers can then use the password and see everyone's GUID.

Dude, there are hacks now which can download server.cfg and get the RCON password. Hackers can then use the password and see everyone's GUID.

If this is common knowledge for the community, why the hell aren't BattlEye aware of it - this is supposed to be their job!

(rhetorical question)

Which also begs the question, why isn't the password in server.cfg hashed - at least make these hackers use a rainbow table. Hash it with BLOWFISH and use some unique identifier for the server the salt - good luck cracking that.

The harsh reality is BI don't know a thing about security.

Edited by TheWalkingDude

SERIOUSLY! got your attention?

All those who got banned have you:

A. Been hacked, some legitimate hacker changed your files in game?

B. Changed / Modified / Altered any game files due to performance issues?

C. Allowed remote access / installed non trusted software?

D. Come across hacked items in game, used / taken? Even hacked in crates etc? Ridden along side a hacker in vehicle, come into close contact with?

E. Non legit C.D. key? Purchased off a dubious site?

F. Actually hacked to try it out?

Could Battle eye pick up on this? and assume your cheating? I saw not too long ago a post showing Battle eye tests where someone does something ( Picked up hacked weapons, hacked in scripts, etc) and Battle eye checked and picked it up and banned them (Testing scenario)

• Like 2

Ridden along side a hacker in vehicle, come into close contact with?

Hacking: Literally the plague

Remember boys and girls, always wear your masks when out in public, and avoid touching public surfaces as much as possible.

A. Been hacked, some legitimate hacker changed your files in game?

Not that I know of. I've only played the game for 30 minutes on a fresh install. Brand new player.

B. Changed / Modified / Altered any game files due to performance issues?

Only the CFGs in my documents/arma 2

C. Allowed remote access / installed non trusted software?

Nope

D. Come across hacked items in game, used / taken? Even hacked in crates etc? Ridden along side a hacker in vehicle, come into close contact with?

Didn't even have the chance to find items :/

E. Non legit C.D. key? Purchased off a dubious site?

Steam

F. Actually hacked to try it out?

Nope.

Could Battle eye pick up on this? and assume your cheating? I saw not too long ago a post showing Battle eye tests where someone does something ( Picked up hacked weapons, hacked in scripts, etc) and Battle eye checked and picked it up and banned them (Testing scenario)

Isn't that unethical? Test scenarios? Yes, hacking is unethical, but dayum!

If this is common knowledge for the community, why the hell aren't BattlEye aware of it - this is supposed to be their job!

(rhetorical question)

I suppose it depends on who you choose to believe.

You either believe that battleye knows what they are doing, or that people in the community know more about what battleye should be doing.

For myself, with complex systems, I assume that people on the inside know a lot more about that system than people on the outside looking in.

When it comes to systems where the people handling the data feel that keeping it to themselves is better for security (your bank, for instance, doesn't put up posts on the Internet explaining all of their security procedures, and the programs involved), I assume that laymen on the outside are guessing.

Sometimes, those laymen are then forced to make up their own campfire stories about what's REALLY going on.

So, you either trust that battleye knows what they are doing, or you don't.

Ultimately, sometimes that means that you vote with your feet and go play something else.

• Like 3

BattlEye did promise us a big ban wave, didn't they?

*shakes head*

Glad I haven't updated. Real curious to see how they handle the situation. If they let the bans stand, this'll be a big PR hit for them (assuming the situation is as dire as reddit and this thread makes it out to be).

• Like 1

player setvariable ["lastpos",666,true]

result:

the player will later receive a global ban for nothing.

We haven't patched our server yet. And probably wont until battleye fix this.

Isn't that unethical? Test scenarios? Yes, hacking is unethical, but dayum!

Why would it be unethical??

What exactly do you think anti-cheat software is?

Edited by playZ

Obviously I'm not going to link to anything, but there are scripts publically available which download server.cfg - it IS common knowledge if you know the basics of google.

That may be so. Have you decided that no one who can change or fix that is doing anything, or has done anything about it?

Perhaps the people making those claims are lying. We obviously aren't in the business of posting links to such here, and please don't try to "prove" it. My point is, that it takes something of a conspiratorial mindset to present oneself as part of the knowledgeable crowd on something that the "authority" doesn't know about. It paints those with the real inside information as ignorant, and the person saying "see we all know it, but those guys, they're too stupid to figure it out!", as more knowledgeable than those actually in control.

Like it or not, battleye is in control of these bans. Each of us is in control of one thing here. Whether or not we play this mod.

It's possible, but I have to say, it's not going to get you anywhere complaining about it, I don't mean that in the "STFU" kind of way, I mean it as honest advice.

BE on bans : they don't care, they will not respond, they will NEVER lift a ban placed by their system, end of story, they do not have a phone number or address available to contact them on, much like steam they only reply with "canned" responses. So in that area you will get no joy.

From the battleye "support" page :

• No one is banned for using non-hack programs (like Fraps, overlays, etc.), picking up or using hacked in-game items, weapons or vehicles, being on a server at the same time as a cheater, or other passive non-cheating activity. Therefore all requests mentioning these things as possible reasons for the global ban are ignored.
  • A shared or stolen cd-key is no excuse. It's your own responsibility to ensure that no one else has access to it.
  • Include your exact (!) global ban ID. The ID is shown in your global ban message ("Global Ban #ID"). If you don't include it your request will be ignored.
  • Do not tell stories. Whatever you are saying about yourself or your situation won't matter. The only thing that matters is the evidence that is gathered for every global ban issued.
  • Do not ask for the evidence behind your ban. No details about it will be revealed. Hackers would love to have access to this information.
  • Do not beg for mercy. If you cheated you will have to live with the consequences. Global bans are permanent and no exceptions will be made.
  • Questions regarding how exactly to get unbanned will be ignored. No support will be given on how to buy a new game or change your cd-key.

On DayZ staff, a couple things lately have shown that the staff here have no care to engage in discussions plaintive or otherwise, and again will not do anything. They don't care what you say, what you think, it is irrelevant to them. To the point where I have been told clearly that they don't "have time" to read or reply to posts. So no joy there.

Where does this leave you ? :

It leaves you in a situation where you have a choice, either re-purchase the game and run the risk of it happening again, or don't purchase it and move to another game.

The "tone" of my post probably indicates which choice I would be making in your position.

http://wikkedtribe.com/?page_id=537 (shows how much they care).

Ugh, I didn't know BI was that way... even EA doesn't say "FUCK OFF" in your face like they do. Lame BI, seriously lame

Yes we saw the 4Chan / Redit thing with the expliot giving them sever config and rcon access but made sure Host Altitude were also aware.

They assure us we are not vulnerable to this particular exploit.

Why would it be unethical??

Newbies comes to mind, specifically for hacked weapons. You need a certain amount of knowledge about a game in order to commit an offense within it, specifically what is and isn't allowed. Suppose you join a brand new game for the first time. You soon find a weapon nearby. What will you do? Probably pick it up. Next thing you know, you're banned! Now, some things like setting up a sting and banning for scripting is a no-brainer and isn't unethical, but stuff like dropping weapons ingame, that's where things get unethical!

Edited by Yatta

Yes we saw the 4Chan / Redit thing with the expliot giving them sever config and rcon access but made sure Host Altitude were also aware.

They assure us we are not vulnerable to this particular exploit.

I'd recommend trying it on a private server or something to know for sure. I'm looking a forum post right now on a dodgy website which has the source for such a script and there are plenty of claims very recently saying it works fine.

Like it or not, battleye is in control of these bans. Each of us is in control of one thing here. Whether or not we play this mod.

But do these bans not extend to the rest of Arma as well? It's one thing to be denied access to a free mod; it's another to be barred from a paid purchase unfairly.

And I doubt that BE is under any sort of legal obligation to fix the bans. And *maybe* everyone here is indeed a hacker and is just making up stories, but I doubt that as well. Players shouldn't have to permanently stop playing a portion of a game because another company dun goofed. That's just wrong.

Sounds like busted cheaters making up stories about how they were innocent to be honest, nothing unusual there, I see the same threads on the steam forums in regards to VAC and the pbbans forums in regards to PunkBuster.

You don't get banned for picking up a hacked gun so I don't know why people keep suggesting this is the case

I had a good look and as far as I can see there is no way to steal someone's account simply by having their GUID, so even if you got access to a servers logs then that information would be useless.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

Newbies comes to mind, specifically for hacked weapons. You need a certain amount of knowledge about a game in order to commit an offense within it, specifically what is and isn't allowed. Suppose you join a brand new game for the first time. You soon find a weapon nearby. What will you do? Probably pick it up. Next thing you know, you're banned! Now, some things like setting up a sting and banning for scripting is a no-brainer and isn't unethical, but stuff like dropping weapons ingame, that's where things get unethical!

From the battleye "support" page :No one is banned for using non-hack programs (like Fraps, overlays, etc.), picking up or using hacked in-game items, weapons or vehicles, being on a server at the same time as a cheater, or other passive non-cheating activity. Therefore all requests mentioning these things as possible reasons for the global ban are ignored.

• Like 1

Honestly what's the likelihood that out of over one million players a couple thousand are cheating...close to 100% probability I'd say

People have been complaining and whining for them to stop cheaters for months.

Now they change something and boom.....I would be suprised if it was any less than a couple thousand global bans.

I'm sure there are many more people than that actively cheating.

Edited by playZ

But do these bans not extend to the rest of Arma as well? It's one thing to be denied access to a free mod; it's another to be barred from a paid purchase unfairly.

And I doubt that BE is under any sort of legal obligation to fix the bans. And *maybe* everyone here is indeed a hacker and is just making up stories, but I doubt that as well. Players shouldn't have to permanently stop playing a portion of a game because another company dun goofed. That's just wrong.

If they're illegitamately banning players they're effectively preventing a game from being played, and that game has a monetary value. $30 might be little to some, but to others it is alot, and BE can't just wash their hands of it if it moves toward class action.

That said, no actual proof at this point in time can be given to effectively say why these global bans are occuring or if they are in fact legitimate bans.

• Like 4

I must say that as a legit player it kind of sucks when you read these pages and people refuse to hear your end of the issue.

shoe on the other foot and the random people on here who say "sucks to be you" would be the first to get angry.

hopefully the trolls here *might* be able to understand what it could feel like if they went to go play right now and got banned, and stop calling everyone who did hackers.

I love this game and fully support the mod but if battleye for some reason doesn't unban my game i can assure that i wont be getting another copy until standalone.

This mod might be amazing but if the standalone uses battleye you couldn't pay me to take a free copy.

• Like 2

Ugh, I didn't know BI was that way... even EA doesn't say "FUCK OFF" in your face like they do. Lame BI, seriously lame

First off it's not BI

second It doesn't seem to me like they're saying "FUCK OFF" . It looks like they're saying...

"..look, we're not interested in your stories or reasons or explanations...Just submit your BAN ID (!) and we will look at it...".

This seems reasonable to me....

Edited by playZ