unhap

Global Bans for legit players?

AFAIK Rocket works in BIS and the do's and don'ts are pretty well known for mission makers so it would seem very strange that a mod-maker is violating these "rules". Especially something that triggers BE. And double especially ;) if he works for BIS.

Edit: If you haven't downloaded any 3rd party arma software other than 6-shooter you have nothing to worry about. You would see a huge dip in players last 24h on the webpage if there was a problem. And a lot more threads than this one.

That's a good point about BIS having do's and don'ts if it's true, I know nothing about ArmA modding, but I was thinking back to the interviews at Rezzed and such where Rocket stated that he's got the engine doing things it's "not supposed to do", such as hosting so many players on a single server with relative stability.

If they have such guidelines then it does ease my concerns somewhat, but as random51 said there's all this talk about people hijacking your player IDs and CD Keys, and I read something someone was saying on this forum earlier about scripters being able to pinch the server.cfg file and logs. Not to mention that, sometimes, anti-cheats are simply shite and the companies being uppity about false positives (I'm looking at you, PunkBuster).

I can just play something else for a day or two, if that's what it takes, but it'd seriously put my mind at ease to hear a statement from BE or DayZ staff. My main concern wouldn't even be having to pay to replace my copy of ArmA OA, it'd be having my copy in my Steam account de-activated and having to open a second Steam account (or buy the standalone game) to play it, I'm pretty protective of my very large and expensive Steam collection.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

Ok i allmost agree with your Post and it handle still more information as the whole topic. But small things we have to change:

At all, there is a way to change your GUID to whatever you want, its in a experimental stage but its possible, your CD-Key is even not given to BE, BE just get your GUID and also just bann this GUID.

BE also dont bann if u have tools like CheatEngine on your PC, as long u dont use it to change stuff in ARMA, its also possible to "inject" a other player and run code by them, dirty way and just a few guys can handle this.

But at all, i think some guys get banned wrong, i checked a few forums about this topic and i dont found such much persons who crying they get banned.

PS: i dont hack in game, i work as a testing engineer in my company, so iam natural intrested in this stuff.

I'm not sure how kosher it is to discuss details here but injecting code/commands to other players would require the server to send it to them. As the game doesn't allow you to DL scripts while in a mission (i.e. while you're playing dayz) it can't modify the mission (or in this case, Dayz) through the game. It would have to instruct the server to send player a to coordinate x,y,z or do something with the player. AFAIK the server can't create a script, send it to a player and then make him run it, while playing. It would have to be a malicious/hacked mission/server for that to happen and I don't see why the hackers would do that as it doesn't benefit them at all.

I don't know how the hacks work because I don't really care, but I have been making a few missions on OFP/Arma/A2/OA so I know a bit about how the game works and I can't imagine how you could force a player to run commands if it isn't in the mission itself. I do know that you can manipulate/hack the server to make the server to all sorts of stuff to the player like setdamage, setpos, trigger animations and change inventory but not that you can make the client send servercommands from another client.

• Like 2

That's a good point about BIS having do's and don'ts if it's true, I know nothing about ArmA modding, but I was thinking back to the interviews at Rezzed and such where Rocket stated that he's got the engine doing things it's "not supposed to do", such as hosting so many players on a single server with relative stability.

If they have such guidelines then it does ease my concerns somewhat, but as random51 said there's all this talk about people hijacking your player IDs and CD Keys, and I read something someone was saying on this forum earlier about scripters being able to pinch the server.cfg file and logs. Not to mention that, sometimes, anti-cheats are simply shite and the companies being uppity about false positives (I'm looking at you, PunkBuster).

I can just play something else for a day or two, if that's what it takes, but it'd seriously put my mind at ease to hear a statement from BE or DayZ staff. My main concern wouldn't even be having to pay to replace my copy of ArmA OA, it'd be having my copy in my Steam account de-activated and having to open a second Steam account (or buy the standalone game) to play it, I'm pretty protective of my very large and expensive Steam collection.

I agree we need some kind of statement from someone to put our minds at ease because at the moment i have a huge amount of feelings rushing around i just want someone to acknowledge something has gone tits up because i don't like being branded a abuser in any game.

Ya seriously. Ip ban the fuckers...all they do is chnage their cd key.

Because changing IP is heaps harder *rolls eyes*

When we'll have the official and legit version according to BattlEye or BIS or Rocket, we'll see who's laughing because almost all of these bans are for legit players

I know I'm not going to respect myself in the morning for asking you this but.....How do you know "almost all of these bans are for legit players"?

Man after spending all night fretting about this stuff at work. I've installed latest patch, I've tinkered with my files, and I use a custom skin... I just knew i was gonna be banned.

It would be nice to hear something official on custom skins and tinkering with config files. (hint hint Rocket or Forum Overlords!)

I don't hack, cheat, or otherwise piss on the spirit of any game. So when I logged in and saw I wasn't banned I let out a sigh of relief.

To those of you who were, if you are truly innocent I hope it gets worked out. If you are guilty... please don't come back, we don't take kindly to your kind!

Just to clarify, the do's and don'ts are for acheiving the expected behavior - it's not related to BE. To be honest BE doesn't (didn't?) do much at all against hackers and pretty much killed open A2 servers sending all organized players and some casual to passworded servers while other casual players quit. With dayz you got massproduced hacks that is fairly easy to detect, that's why I don't think there are thousands of legit players being banned.

if legit players are banned, I'm betting it's an issue with cd-key/guid. There might be some pirated version with random id joining that is causing legit players to be shut down - again just speculation on my part.

Edit: horrible typos

Edited by Rakrul

This is just rich. So far I have been on these forums for about three hours and all of these people talking about wrongful bans, all people have to say is "well you shouldn't have been cheating" are you serious? You sit there and gloat for not being banned and unconditionally state that every person who was banned is indeed a hacker. yeah there probably were actual hackers that were banned, but believe it or not there were also a lot of people who were legit players that were banned. I would love to see it happen to you and then you will be wearing all of these peoples shoes.

I personally believe it has something to do with the new patches that came out today and yesterday. I had no problems didn't do anything until I updated and this crap happens. I am definitely not buying the game again for 30 bucks with the risk of getting banned again for wrongful reasoning. Also reading battleye's so called "support" website, I am definitely discomforted in terms of their rules they have stated. They seem very aggressive and seem like they don't give a shit at all what you say if you were banned then you're a hacker they were right and you were wrong sort of thing.

I dont believe it sorry, Thered have to be some serious evidence there for people to get banned, Like some people would have paid like £50 for Arma 2 etc etc, Trust me theyd have to be sure. Like I said before, Hackers right now are hacked off they lost their game, dont cheat, your only cheating yourselves at the end of the day.

I fail to understand how, as a community, people have been complaining and whinning about hackers/scripters, then turn around and say MOST of these bans are on legit players. 10,000 people represents less than 1% of the global IDs. From my own experiences and from having creeped the forums for awhile now, this number would seem pretty spot on for the amount of scripters I have seen out there whilst playing.

With that in mind, I find it VERY PROBABLE that most of the bans handed out were for people ACTUALLY USING SCRIPTS.

I'm not saying there may not have been a few people here and there caught in the crossfire. I'm sure the BE script detection was tested prior to release, specifically targeting known cheats that are very publicly avaiable.

My advice to someone who is butthurt over getting banned and actually scripted:

-Don't waste your time crying over it on a forum. Maybe spend an extra hour at work to purchase another cd-key as opposed to using that hour petitioning to get yours back.

-Learn the hard lesson here and stop cheating.

I've cheated in other online MMO's before and learnt the lesson the hard way; and this is exactly how I acted when I was banned (crying on forums and complaining to the company that gave out the ban-hammers). While I can certainly empathize with anyone that got banned, I give you not an ounce of sympathy.

I know I'm not going to respect myself in the morning for asking you this but.....How do you know "almost all of these bans are for legit players"?

It's simple as reading posts on different threads ? On reddit or on other forums ?

I've seen that some kind of hacks/cheat can let you execute scripts on other people, like a remote controle

So i have been unbanned :D weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So yes to all you people who thought we were hackers and Battleye is faultless up yours *giggles*

Edited by D3nty

So i have been unbanned :D weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How is this possible? Everyone who was banned is a filthy hacking skiddie! I read it in this thread!! :o

• Like 1

Well ive just logged in and my ban has been lifted along with alot of other people.

also unbanned, thanks all for the support from the people who gave it.

and fuck you to the people who accused all of us of hacking.

I hope your dayz are filled with bullets from my gun.

• Like 2

So who thinks we will get some official post or something from Battleye? LOL

also unbanned, thanks all for the support from the people who gave it.

and fuck you to the people who accused all of us of hacking.

I hope your dayz are filled with bullets from my gun.

Congrats dude, and you D3nty.

• Like 2

won't happen, just like we won't hear from all the dicks who said there was no way battleye could never make a mistake.

like this jerk-off

Stop crying Jesus, you hacked. FACT!!

/gloat

Edit: except the guy above this, you sir can have my beans!

Edited by jesustheripper

You guys seem to have gotten your bans reversed quite quickly, so I think I'll risk going on DayZ later. :D

I would like to say to the small amount of people who didn't brand us "hackers" Thank you.

I had little doubt in my mind not all the bans could be script kiddies when I saw some respectable forum members saying they got banned, of course some people just get on their high horse right away and indulge in schadenfreude.

If BattlEye is able to ban this many people in one go, and un-ban false positives with a relatively decent response time, then maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end of the script kiddie era.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 1

Just waiting to see what PlayZ has to say.........

• Like 1

Dude, there are hacks now which can download server.cfg and get the RCON password. Hackers can then use the password and see everyone's GUID.

The biggest joke in security terms is that GUID get announced to the public when you get a connection time out or other events. That's ridiculous stupid.

If you got banned as legit player, demnd your money back from your retailer where you bought your game. This will increase pressure toward BI and Battleye and go public.

You don't go to a forum for a mod where there is an abundant amount of hackers and say you are banned for hacking and that you are innocent (just like most actual hackers do) and then flame people for not believing you.

Sending an appeal to BE themselves would suffice. If enough people can prove they weren't guilty, they'll look at it. You people are just stupid as hell.

• Like 1