griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

Read the thread. Since the Arma III engine is largely a ramped-up version of the previous engine, most of the features are backwards compatible. DayZ is using a hybrid engine colloquially known as 2+. Whatever features are particularly useful to DayZ (weapon customization) can be implemented, whilst those that are superfluous eye-candy (DX11 lighting) can be left out. Which isn't to say I'm an authority on what parts of the engine will be implemented, I could have it completely wrong and DayZ will be largely on the Arma II engine but prettier. We'll just have to wait and see.

Pretty certain that BIS has stated the ArmA 3 engine is completely rewritten from the ground up and not based off the previous engines. Also...DX11 and so called "eye-candy" is just another major reason to go with the ArmA 3 engine. You may say graphics aren't everything but I say I didn't build my gaming rig to play last years games.

Also...DX11 and so called "eye-candy" is just another major reason to go with the ArmA 3 engine. You may say graphics aren't everything but I say I didn't build my gaming rig to play last years games.

Your gaming rig doesn't make graphics a priority for Rocket.

Honestly, you people. It's like a thousand-rope game of Tug-O-War, with Rocket in the middle. "Fix the build!" "Add more stuff!" "Stop the hackers!" "Make the game prettier!"

Pretty certain that BIS has stated the ArmA 3 engine is completely rewritten from the ground up and not based off the previous engines.

Where? I'm pretty sure I read something about Arma 3 rather being an evolution, not something totally new. Do you have a source?

So will there be a box version available or just an digital copy via steam (or something)

Pretty certain that BIS has stated the ArmA 3 engine is completely rewritten from the ground up and not based off the previous engines.

The RV engine has always been developed in iteration. Arma 2:OA had many improvements on Arma 2, which lead to the Arma 2 engine being updated with improvements from Arma 2:OA.

The reason VR4 engine is taking so long because of the new staff brought in to work on it, and it's complexity. Changing one feature affects another feature, sometimes negatively. It is taking a lot of hard work.

So will there be a box version available or just an digital copy via steam (or something)

I imagine because of it's alpha state and constant release of updates, steam won't be an option. I think minecraft had some issue with that when it came out in an alpha state.

...I heard steam went about and changed the agreement to accommodate minecraft though, so maybe?

• Like 2

...I heard steam went about and changed the agreement to accommodate minecraft though, so maybe?

Can anyone confirm this? I've looked but have not been able to find a definitive statement on whether or not you can sell an alpha build and constantly update it through steam before it's fully developed. It would be awesome if you could, that would allow not only the DayZ standalone alpha to release and update regularly on Steam, but it would give the same opportunities to other promising projects currently in alpha development (Overgrowth by Wolfire, etc.).

I hope Steam is willing to change their agreement to accommodate minecraft-esque development!

I somewhere heard the idea of simply adding some finished mini-game to the whole package. Just add some puzzle game, add DayZ as a feature and now you can claim you're selling a finished game on steam.

Your gaming rig doesn't make graphics a priority for Rocket.

Honestly, you people. It's like a thousand-rope game of Tug-O-War, with Rocket in the middle. "Fix the build!" "Add more stuff!" "Stop the hackers!" "Make the game prettier!"

It's pretty obvious that he's not the only guy here with a capable rig.

Computer parts my friend, people just love to buy them!

I'm not one to think the graphics need an overhaul, but there are some things that need attention in the interest of balance. Such as grass rendering distances. I really can't count the amount of times that I've been spotted up to a km away prone in grass, which on my screen is keeping me hidden, but on someone elses I'm an idiot prone in an empty field, it really makes sniping easy for your attacker and its something my friends and I fell to a few times when we were just starting out and didn't realise that such an obvious problem was causing it. Nowadays it very rarely happens, but I would view a fix to little annoying problems like this a valuable addition to the standalone, and since a bit of realism is what the game is all about, I think it would add back a bit more risk and if you are attacked, a bit more of a chance to escape legitimately.

• Like 8

I'm not one to think the graphics need an overhaul, but there are some things that need attention in the interest of balance. Such as grass rendering distances. I really can't count the amount of times that I've been spotted up to a km away prone in grass, which on my screen is keeping me hidden, but on someone elses I'm an idiot prone in an empty field, it really makes sniping easy for your attacker and its something my friends and I fell to a few times when we were just starting out and didn't realise that such an obvious problem was causing it. Nowadays it very rarely happens, but I would view a fix to little annoying problems like this a valuable addition to the standalone, and since a bit of realism is what the game is all about, I think it would add back a bit more risk and if you are attacked, a bit more of a chance to escape legitimately.

I'm with you on that one, the grass doesn't even need to be good looking far away, it just needs to do it's job of concealing.

There is actually a feature built in the arma 2 engine that "sucks" you in to the ground and hides you. Eventhough the grass doesn't render, on the snipers screen he wont see you prone there because on his screen you are "hidden". But for instance if you have a back pack on you, then that can be somewhat visible even though your body is hidden. To be completely hidden you will want to aim down on the ground while prone (simulates lying with your cheek to the dirt) and take off your bag so you will be as flat as possible.

I tend to stick to treelines nowerdays anyway, but its still a shame that most fields are pretty much death traps if you get caught, im hoping the render distances in the screenshots i've seen of arma 3 apply, because it looks like they're quite far, same thing really goes for trees and rocks. I play the game on high and it gets a bit crazy when you can see stuff rendering in 20m from your face when you're running through a forest, damn rock tents.

It was only a few "dayz" ago my friends and I was thinking about what might happen to Dayz once Arma 3 is released as we are quite impressed by what has been released so far. The trailers and screenshots look amazing and we think Arma 3 with the introduction of the naval additions will add another level of gaming to the experience. :beans:

However since hardly any of us are Arma 2 players other than having played Dayz we look forward to seeing what will be done with Dayz using the Arma 3 engine. :thumbsup: I know i'll be getting a copy of both.

***Just a thought could we have a addition to the whole Next Generation Arma 3 And Dayz games? I.e. Sell some bracelets which plugs into any USB socket and you have to wear it to play and if you are caught scripting or using hacks the dev team are allowed to ELECTROcute you for spawning items and glitching*** J/k ofc :D

• Like 1

My rig chews this game up and spits it out, I was actually expecting to have to tweak my settings because everyone claimed it was a PC-killer. But my point was, if you want to actually help with development, instead of just squawking everything you want fixed, think of the one thing that's most important to you that you want fixed, and suggest that. You may see more noticible results if the dev team are trying to address one issue at a time.

Hi guys, dev team,

will there be the lingor island map for the standalone too? It is my favourite map for this mod: More action,

way better loot, all open houses and the landscape is awesome! I hope you give us the choice to play chernarus or lingor. Otherwise I hope the lingor guys will have the possibility to implement the map into the standalone.

Sorry for my bad english.

With best regards

but

Well, I heard Rocket say that he currently envisions DayZ starting out with one map, Chenarus+, and other maps getting added later as paid DLC (which would be a bummer, but I think they should make their fair share of $, too, so...). Can't provide source, though.

I imagine because of it's alpha state and constant release of updates, steam won't be an option. I think minecraft had some issue with that when it came out in an alpha state.

They'd be damned if they don't. There might be some legal issues ofc, but those can get sorted out quickly, if there's enough money to make, right? (e.g.blizz-paypal-rmah).

edit:

I somewhere heard the idea of simply adding some finished mini-game to the whole package. Just add some puzzle game, add DayZ as a feature and now you can claim you're selling a finished game on steam.

They could just throw in a re-released Arma2 bundled with the DayZ alpha/beta/retail access - it's not as if there'd be too many potential customers with the release of standalone and Arma3...xD

And regarding the constant updating - Every time I start steam, there's an update for TF2. Every. Single. Time.

Edited by Fector

I tend to stick to treelines nowerdays anyway, but its still a shame that most fields are pretty much death traps if you get caught, im hoping the render distances in the screenshots i've seen of arma 3 apply, because it looks like they're quite far, same thing really goes for trees and rocks. I play the game on high and it gets a bit crazy when you can see stuff rendering in 20m from your face when you're running through a forest, damn rock tents.

Yeah, I can't even tell you how many times i've seen a rock and though it was a heli crash, or a tent. And also sometimes bushes don't have any texture when far away, and appear to be white for me :P

Can some expound what exactly Chenarus + is?

Improved Chernarus, with more land and more enter-able buildings

• Like 2

Improved Chernarus, with more land and more enter-able buildings

Cool, that is exactly what I was hoping for, have some beans. B) :beans:

Edited by Killswitch
  • Like 1

A bigger Chenarus hopefully :D.

Not that i dont think the map is big already i just think that theres room for moar!

• Like 2

Not that i dont think the map is big already i just think that theres room for moar!

I would imagine it would be bigger since Rocket said he would like to have 100-200 players on a server. At that rate, you would need a lot more buildings and land.

I Love Rocket, DayZ, BI, and the recoder of ZombieInfectMod for CS:S too :D

yaaa, i hope there are no fakebuildings in arma3, they just have to make every building enterable so there is then enough room

Edited by mischlig

So... Will be dayz game different to dayz mod? I mean gameplay, map...

I am sorry, im too lazy to use search :)

Edited by AssClown

I'm hella excited, I feel like its going to be my bday as soon as its released :D play allday and night ;D