griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

Also, I think it's pretty obvious what's going to happen here. Here's what I think:

- Game will be on Arma 3. Why? Arma 3 is close to release and Dayz will be developed by BI. Why would they not use it?! Would be pretty strange if they didn't.

- Game will take place on a new map. Why? Arma 3.

- Dayz Mod will continue only as a 'testing' ground for the actual standalone game. It will be used to test ideas and gameplay mechanics to be implemented in the standalone. Once the actual standalone comes out and is sold, I'd guess we'll see a great decrease or discontinuation of the actual DayZ mod. But I don't expect DayZ standalone 'Alpha/Beta' to be out until the end of this year so the DayZ mod will continue to see support until that time.

-D

• Like 1

Best news evar! :D Day Z the mod became the game I always dreamed,about and now it's here, and so glad to hear it's gonna become a full game and not just a mod too! Might become my favorite game of all time if all goes well :)

Do i understand right , pay for an Alpha ?

Yes do you have a problem with that?

Paying for an unfinished product isn't wrong, you can help the devs, you get a discounted price, and because of you the game can be better at release, see it like pre-ordering but then for less money, and for a better result. stop moaning about buying a game that's fucking awesome, I have many games on steam which I haven't played yet, and I don't feel bad about that, so why not pay a little for a game which is amazing? stop crying..

Edited by Cayote

Finally, something to look forward to!

I've been excited about upcoming games before and been disappointed, pretty much guaranteed not to be let down by this one.

Congratulations Rocket and the rest of your team, you deserve this!

I'll be buying this as soon as it's available.. please release something asap! :D

Seriously...What is it that some of you "entitled" people here just don't seem to understand?

*YOU purchased two FULL games to play a *FREE* mod!*

**NOBODY forced your hand or your wallet..that was ALL YOU, so how about you STOP this stupid bitching/demanding!**

***Maybe you should play the game(s) you purchased? They have BIG active communities and there's dozens of OTHER MODS TO PLAY!***

Nobody should have to be explaining this to you guys over and over...GET OVER IT PLX!

*I apologize for the CAPS etc. I will no longer voice my opinion towards these "entitled"...sorry <_<

I understand perfectly what you say ... but when it comes to buying something not a free module changes the story, changing appointments, changes the way it is treated ....

Now initially treat dayz as philanthropy, when going to want to sell a product we ask according to the product and is WITHOUT ERRORS, DEFECTS WITHOUT GOOD ACCESSIBILITY and it is simple, basic and elementary.

A slutty that the development team did was to forget and leave this last patch all buggy ... this with a bad impression in my view technical ... Promise and not a patch release is another problem.

But I think this is a way of trying to compete with something that is not going to compete (talking about the game of competition).

And end.

Paying for an unfinished product isn't wrong, you can help the devs, you get a discounted price, and because of you the game can be better at release, see it like pre-ordering but then for less money, and for a better result. stop moaning about buying a game that's fucking awesome, I have many games on steam which I haven't played yet, and I don't feel bad about that, so why not pay a little for a game which is amazing? stop crying..

Amazing game? Yes Dayz is the most interesting is a skin in the game and the enemy soldiers just that. Not have own engine is a product stuck, and full of errors and problems ...

I think the team is technically competent to do something real good ... But leaving that customers in 1.2.4 (ALPHA) in hand is something else ... Although cases of philanthropy as Dayz is (say something free) is different when it becomes a lot of charges paid and will now shy away saying "Free the game accepted, do not complain."

Edited by neohazuki

cant see it coming out that soon. If its on the A3 engine, with any A3 content (map etc), it sure wont be released before A3 itself, which comes out summer next year, doesnt it?

cant see it coming out that soon. If its on the A3 engine, with any A3 content (map etc), it sure wont be released before A3 itself, which comes out summer next year, doesnt it?

We will have a fair / conference next weekend will be better said about it, hopefully ... there are many rumors nothing more concrete, we are not sure whether to use A3 or will have its own engine, much has changed ...

More is sure to use the A3 engine will come out later. # fact

I am pretty sure first footage of the standalone will be shown in 8 days at gamescom.

• Like 1

Well done

Congratulations with your hard work. Looking forvard to get both Arma3 and DayZ.

~S~

If DayZ is going to be a stand-alone game, then it wouldn't make sense to use an Arma 3 map.. if they did, then it would still just feel like a mod.

My guess is that they will be creating a whole new map for the game, one that is similar to Charnarus, but most likely larger and hopefully it will have islands as well. I highly doubt that Charnarus will be used and it seems unlikely that the map will be shared with any other games. Stand-alone is just that, anything else would be cheating. ;)

I could see them using the base Arma 3 engine, but none of the assets, that's the most likely scenario, based on how soon we seem to be getting an Alpha.. the biggest hold-up to getting any game out the door is creating an engine, once that is done and optimized, it's just a matter of creating the sounds/models/maps etc..

(and of course tweaking the balance and adding new features.)

I can't wait.. Take my money now! (I had to jump on the wagon.. lol)

Edited by Cyanyde
  • Like 1

You're right, it is not a good thing to talk in absolute. But in this case, it is not about trusting the client a bit to improve the performance, it is about trusting the client so much you accept everything it asks for. You want to teleport every player into water ? Yup, no problem. You want a package full of weapons ? Sure, take it.

The reason for this model, in the case of ARMA, was that its entire design was geared towards large-scale cooperative play, not competitive play. In this model, it made sense to trust the client a lot for both performance as well as other reasons.

And I'd love a list of the game using only clients informations for hit detection. AFAIK most FPS games uses server-side detection, like Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament, etc ...

Most games have some server sanity checking, but this only works if you have relatively small resources. The reason BattleField 3 employs substantial client-side detection (and was subsequently cheated at in a big way) was that even for a studio like DICE, with all its clout and resources, server-side hit detection at that degree of complexity and scale was not possible [that is, feasible]. They experimented with this during early development stages and the result was an unplayable game. If BF3 was only Metro, or the new CQC maps, server-side hit detection wouldn't be a problem, but if you have maps like Wake Island or Caspian, the servers would have to be ungodly powerful to handle geometry and sanity checking for 64 players employing highly variable weapons with their own ballistics, penetration factors, etc in an acceptable time frame -- and this would only compound the ping issues.

Another game that has the same problem is Tribes Ascend.

Last thing, don't tell people OnLive is the only solution against cheats, because it is not true, and you probably know it. See World of Tanks for an example: It doesn't require fiber connection internet and has almost never been hacked (except for one tiny graphical hack, which has since been fixed) because most of the event are handled server-side.

So yes, you're right on one point: You just can't handle everything on the server. But Arma is trusting the client WAY too much.

OnLive eliminates client-side processing. This eliminates most attack vectors. That is what I said. I didn't say ARMA handled things partciularly well or that other games didn't do it better, what I wanted to point out were the real world reasons for this.

Edited by jwiechers
  • Like 2

I just want to know if they will "fix" (bad word I know) hacking in standalone!

Congratulations to Rocket and company! Excited for all of you and looking forward to the future developments! :D

DayZ is set to follow the Minecraft pricing and development model

There will be basebuilding like in Minecraft or somth like that?

you can already build your base in armaII oa but it wasnt possible at alpha mod stage for dayz. so yeah im sure there will be building options.

Hell yeah!

i'm gonna be on the gamescom this year, hope you guys have something ready for me

Wait was rocket previously unemployed, I mean while making and updating the mod? That's one hell of an interview if you could call it that.

"...and what can you bring to our company?''

How about 1 million players ready to shell out cash!

Very happy to see this, great work to everybody involved in its creation.

.., I use this post as rage fuel. So when I play Dayz and see a bean scout, I think back to this post and feel no remorse when I shoot him in the legs and leave him to die.