thoxon

A simple solution to identifying bandits post 1.5.9.

With bandit skins being removed soon, there's been a lot of debate over how this is going to affect player interactions. "How are we going to know who I can trust?" That question has been on everyones minds.

Here's my solution.

Currently, hovering over a player with your mouse displays there name. What I suggest is to also display how many players someone has killed. Depending on the limitations on the mod it can display lifetime kills, or just kills from a players most recent character.

Obivously, it would be better to track lifetime kills. As, someone who has killed 2 players lifetime would be more trustful than someone who has killed 150 players.

One of the major drawbacks it dosen't track kills in self-defence aganist bandits. I have a solutions to this, but then it gets a little more complex, and then it wouldn't be a simple solution like I wanted.

Yes. Let's replace bandit skins with some equally stupid. *Slow Clap*

…Currently' date=' hovering over a player with your mouse displays there name. What I suggest is to also display how many players someone has killed. Depending on the limitations on the mod it can display lifetime kills, or just kills from a players most recent character…[/quote']

IMHO i want to see nothing diplayed about a player.

I prefer detect a player only with my eye on screen and not

looking his name in green from distance, is too easy.

no no no no no no no

ahahahahaah for the video!

I also wanted to use FIDO ;)

looking his name in green from distance' date=' is too easy.

[/quote']

You need the names to identify people. If you want to meet up with your friend - how are you going to know its him? On the other hand I agree that it sucks that the name pops up instantly. There should be a slight delay, it should only show the players name if you hover over him for 1-2 seconds.

If you want to meet up with your friend - how are you going to know its him?

I dunno, ask him to go prone/salute/holster weapon/do a happy dance. The way everyone is doing it on normal servers (aka the ones w/o nametags).

[/quote']

You need the names to identify people. If you want to meet up with your friend - how are you going to know its him? On the other hand I agree that it sucks that the name pops up instantly. There should be a slight delay, it should only show the players name if you hover over him for 1-2 seconds.

There are no names on hardcore servers already, and were doing just fine there...

[/quote']

I agree with the delay. I think there should be a delay, so someone dosen't have their position given away but a random cursor movement. Also, I think there should be a 1-2 second delay on displaying kills. I forgot to mention that.

They were taking out bandit skins in favor of realism, since in a land with no law a murderer is not forced to wear identifying clothing. So I can't imagine staring at murderer until you divine the number of deaths on his hands, being added to the game.

I personally think post bandit skin removal there should be a skin or skins reserved or at least agreed upon by the community that is the "bandit skin(s)". reason being is while many "bandits" would rather blend in and be subversive. Many would immediately don garb that identifies them as said bandits

regardless of fact that many that play are proud to be bandits, even if you don't live in an area with gang activity you are aware people IRL go to amazing lengths to identify themselves as criminals, some even tattooing their foreheads but nearly all incorporate a single bright color into all aspects of their wardrobe to announce their affiliation to all.

as the saying goes there is no honor among thieves and just as there is violence and murder within gangs many bandits would still kill each other, but I think a large number would still don voluntary bandit garb

There is a very large difference between people using gang colors in cities nowadays and people readily identifying themselves as bandits in a post apocalypse world. You wouldn't see da Bloodz using red if normal people would shoot them on sight.

Nah.

I dont want the "nameplate" option to be forced on us. I prefer servers tht show no nameplate.

There is a very large difference between people using gang colors in cities nowadays and people readily identifying themselves as bandits in a post apocalypse world. You wouldn't see da Bloodz using red if normal people would shoot them on sight.

I disagree, in places where gang violence is a true issue, "normal people" is not an easily defined term and someone wearing "da bloodz" colors is more likely to attract bullets from those looking to do them harm than someone who is not identifying themselves as such.

My point is more that if bandit skin(s) were no longer involuntary I absolutely believe many, especially those traveling in large groups and "proud" of being bandits (see youtube for examples of this) would voluntarily don a "bandit" skin given the opportunity.

Regardless though I am in favor of having no way to identify "bandits" One of the best lessons one can learn IRL is don't fuck with random people when you are alone because you never truly know what someone is capable of and someone will eventually pull your card.

Why do people insist on trying to make the game less realistic? All these suggestions about making everyone different is just stupid. You shouldn't be able to tell someone's past actions by looking at their skin, and if you got a kill count it would be exactly the same thing completely rendering the patch pointless.

Top poster... your idea is horrible. It is not realistic which is what makes this game so great. Do you walk along the street at night and hover your curcor over people to see howmany people they have killed?

And even if so, how do you know that the 'kills' are not self defence?

Current system is broken, but your suggestion is potentially worse.

It will take away from the immersion. The whole point of this game is not getting killed by zombies and who can you really trust.

I do happen to have a bandit skin, due to the system not registering propperly who takes the first hit. I have currently globally killed 4 people and I am not proud at all. But in this game, you have to protect your beans or die trying, and believe me.. I have died trying. The fact that people are still not penalised for shooting a bandit just makes the survivors triggerhappy when they see one.

Today I hooked up with 2 survivors which didn't shoot on sight and we ended up having to kill someone taking shots from the top of the crane... And guess what? One of them turned bandit because he did the kill. It is soo clearly broken right now it's just not funny anymore.

Anyway, the trailer of this mod should tell you that being paranoid when you encounter a player IS part of the game. Having any background info you can just read of your HUD will take that away and is totally unrealistic. Go watch 'the Mist' humans under treat will do inhumain stuff. That doesn't make them inhuman, it makes them survivors.

This game should be very close to realism but its a game and theres no way to 100% realism and in Real life you see a person you identifie him and judge him for his clothes or his face and the real life is hard core system, here in the game theres no way to identifie someone by his clothes or his face so then nameplate its same thing but little easer but guys its a game which proximity from a real life but its not! Then should be way to identifie who gona be friend and who wont. This isnt the best ideia, maybe but he tried something .. why you dont do the same?

If you want to play without these things go to a very hardcore game style server .. this ideia I think if for normal servers...

With bandit skins being removed soon' date=' there's been a lot of debate over how this is going to affect player interactions. "How are we going to know who I can trust?" That question has been on everyones minds.

Here's my solution.

Currently, hovering over a player with your mouse displays there name. What I suggest is to also display how many players someone has killed. Depending on the limitations on the mod it can display lifetime kills, or just kills from a players most recent character.

Obivously, it would be better to track lifetime kills. As, someone who has killed 2 players lifetime would be more trustful than someone who has killed 150 players.

One of the major drawbacks it dosen't track kills in self-defence aganist bandits. I have a solutions to this, but then it gets a little more complex, and then it wouldn't be a simple solution like I wanted.

[/quote']

Uh...what? Why would you do this? I have several player kills now and I'm typically a co-op player. Besides, how would you know how many murders/defense killings a person had committed? No.

The key is requiring elements of game play that make survival easier but ONLY if you co-operate with each other. For example, blood transfusions, which require a person to administer.

This game should be very close to realism but its a game and theres no way to 100% realism...

*cough*Perfect solution fallacy*cough*

A survivor who has been in a week in the woods probably looks like a dirty hobo and smells like piss. I really doubt you can judge much about their personality at that point.

This game should be very close to realism but its a game and theres no way to 100% realism...

*cough*Perfect solution fallacy*cough*

A survivor who has been in a week in the woods probably looks like a dirty hobo and smells like piss. I really doubt you can judge much about their personality at that point.

Your argument was also a fallacy .. if you think better..

Well if we want this to be as realistic as possible.... if I were to walk up to someone that I don't know who they are I'm pretty damn sure a nameplate isn't going to start hovering over their head with how many times they took a shit today, how many people they killed, or any other information. I really wished that people would stop suggesting things that makes the game easier. THE ENTIRE GAME REVOLVES AROUND ZOMBIES AND THE FEAR OF TRUSTING OTHER PEOPLE.

There's only two things which should be remembered:

1: exist normal servers

2: exist hardcore servers

This topic dosnt apply to hardcore server ...

I see no need to give an indicator how many people you killed over all your playtime.

It would hurt people who want play different characters from time to time.

One day you are killing no matter what and on another be polite as a care bear.

farthest i would go is to give the bandit the choice to wear a different skin or not or lets have him dragging a barrow with all the heads of the people he killed to show how bad ass he is.

Kills per hour (K/H) would be a better way to measure it but i still don't think it is needed, half the fun is not knowing the guy helping you out is a bandit or a survivor.

In real life i am a well built (read sort of fat), bald guy who rides a motorcycle does that make me a bikie, or a fat, bald guy who went through a early mid life crisis? It's the latter...

Most serial killers do not look like crazy people/obviously murderers they look like a normal person, why because that's the best way to avoid capture and the best way to capture your prey, why would it be any different in a post apocalyptic world?

Another thing to consider is a hunter out in the woods would look suspiciously like a bandit, are you going to shoot him on site? Could be why so many get shot out in the woods to many people playing dayz.

What am i trying to say is someones appearance does not tell you what there are like it only tells you what they want you to think they are like and that is not going to change in a post apocalyptic world.

You want realism let the player choose what they look like, maybe different cloths could be available in game, I think if a warm jacket that slowed the speed you went cold was available even if it was a knitted Christmas jumper everyone would have one on.

With bandit skins being removed soon' date=' there's been a lot of debate over how this is going to affect player interactions. "How are we going to know who I can trust?" That question has been on everyones minds.

Here's my solution.

[/quote']

Your idea is terrible and should never be implemented. Not even for normal servers.